Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unicorn Frappuccino

Can you believe all the brouhaha over Starbuck's UF? Starbuck's
employees act like they're something better than mere burger-flippers.
Actually, other than learning how to pour a cute horsey or clown with
foamed milk, all their espresso machines are super-autos. Which means
the employee doesn't hafta know spit about espresso. Jes push the
button.

BUT, some marketing droid decided "barista" would give *$ employees
more authority/status and now these "burger flippers" think they are
above pouring a super suger laden drink. Jes look at these tweets:

<http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Starbucks-baristas-don-t-want-you-ordering-this-11093312.php>

Actually, that last tweet, a joke about "barista spit", was pretty
funny.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 12:59:27 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> Can you believe all the brouhaha over Starbuck's UF? Starbuck's
> employees act like they're something better than mere burger-flippers.
> Actually, other than learning how to pour a cute horsey or clown with
> foamed milk, all their espresso machines are super-autos. Which means
> the employee doesn't hafta know spit about espresso. Jes push the
> button.
>
> BUT, some marketing droid decided "barista" would give *$ employees
> more authority/status and now these "burger flippers" think they are
> above pouring a super suger laden drink. Jes look at these tweets:
>
> <http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Starbucks-baristas-don-t-want-you-ordering-this-11093312.php>
>
> Actually, that last tweet, a joke about "barista spit", was pretty
> funny.
>
> nb

Who cares? It's Starbucks.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:59:27 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> Can you believe all the brouhaha over Starbuck's UF? Starbuck's
> employees act like they're something better than mere burger-flippers.
> Actually, other than learning how to pour a cute horsey or clown with
> foamed milk, all their espresso machines are super-autos. Which means
> the employee doesn't hafta know spit about espresso. Jes push the
> button.
>
> BUT, some marketing droid decided "barista" would give *$ employees
> more authority/status and now these "burger flippers" think they are
> above pouring a super suger laden drink. Jes look at these tweets:
>
> <http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Starbucks-baristas-don-t-want-you-ordering-this-11093312.php>
>
> Actually, that last tweet, a joke about "barista spit", was pretty
> funny.
>
> nb

There's nothing wrong the the drink. What's not to like about a mango, coconut, and lime, concoction? I feel for those baristas though. How humiliating!

Those guys are really going to hate making one of these. OTOH, Starbucks has got to change with the tastes of the young Americans.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FiNLMVoDAJNmuC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:00:59 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:59:27 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> > Can you believe all the brouhaha over Starbuck's UF? Starbuck's
> > employees act like they're something better than mere burger-flippers.
> > Actually, other than learning how to pour a cute horsey or clown with
> > foamed milk, all their espresso machines are super-autos. Which means
> > the employee doesn't hafta know spit about espresso. Jes push the
> > button.
> >
> > BUT, some marketing droid decided "barista" would give *$ employees
> > more authority/status and now these "burger flippers" think they are
> > above pouring a super suger laden drink. Jes look at these tweets:
> >
> > <http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Starbucks-baristas-don-t-want-you-ordering-this-11093312.php>
> >
> > Actually, that last tweet, a joke about "barista spit", was pretty
> > funny.
> >
> > nb

> There's nothing wrong the the drink. What's not to like about a mango, coconut, and lime, concoction?

For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.

Ok, lime is all right. But not with dairy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:00:59 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>> There's nothing wrong the the drink. What's not to like about a mango, coconut, and lime, concoction?

>For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.

Do such people exist? What's better than mangos and lychees? Apples
and pears?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:21:36 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:00:59 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> >> There's nothing wrong the the drink. What's not to like about a mango, coconut, and lime, concoction?

> >For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.

> Do such people exist? What's better than mangos and lychees? Apples
> and pears?

I find tropical fruit to be too sweet and too soft. Indeed, I prefer
a nice tart apple, or underripe nectarines or pears. Something crisp.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:28:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:21:36 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.

>> Do such people exist? What's better than mangos and lychees? Apples
>> and pears?

>I find tropical fruit to be too sweet and too soft. Indeed, I prefer
>a nice tart apple, or underripe nectarines or pears. Something crisp.

Ok, each to their own, as the philosopher said.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-26 6:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:21:36 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.

>> Do such people exist? What's better than mangos and lychees? Apples
>> and pears?

> I find tropical fruit to be too sweet and too soft. Indeed, I prefer
> a nice tart apple, or underripe nectarines or pears. Something crisp.

My wife doesn't like mango. I can't figure that out, because I love
them. It is very difficult to find a nicely ripened mango here, and I
haven't had much luck ripening them at home. A lot goes to waste, but,
man, the good parts are so good. Most of the time I have to settle for
frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:16:02 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.
>
> Ok, lime is all right. But not with dairy.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What's the deal with that? What makes a tropical fruit different from a regular fruit. What's a regular fruit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 3:44:46 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-26 6:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:21:36 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 03:16:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Do such people exist? What's better than mangos and lychees? Apples
> >> and pears?

> > I find tropical fruit to be too sweet and too soft. Indeed, I prefer
> > a nice tart apple, or underripe nectarines or pears. Something crisp.

> My wife doesn't like mango. I can't figure that out, because I love
> them. It is very difficult to find a nicely ripened mango here, and I
> haven't had much luck ripening them at home. A lot goes to waste, but,
> man, the good parts are so good. Most of the time I have to settle for
> frozen.

Mangos have a pine sap taste that some people find unpleasant. Green mangos have more of that taste. People over here will eat green mangoes dipped in a shoyu and vinegar sauce. It's a local delicacy - strange but true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:59:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:16:02 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.
>>
>> Ok, lime is all right. But not with dairy.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>What's the deal with that? What makes a tropical fruit different from a regular fruit. What's a regular fruit?

Tropical fruits are sweeter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 1:59:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:16:02 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.
> >
> > Ok, lime is all right. But not with dairy.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> What's the deal with that? What makes a tropical fruit different from a regular fruit. What's a regular fruit?

Tropical fruit, in my experience, is too sweet and too soft. I
prefer fruits that grow in temperate regions: apples, pears,
peaches, nectarines, raspberries, strawberries. I am enjoying
a nice, crisp, sweet-tart apple right now. I even prefer dried
temperate fruit to fresh tropical fruit.

I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2017 3:35 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
> all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When oranges are in season I have one most every day. Bananas are a good
source of potassium. We have them often too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
> all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 9:35:14 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 1:59:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:16:02 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > For those of us who do not like tropical fruit, pretty much everything.
> > >
> > > Ok, lime is all right. But not with dairy.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > What's the deal with that? What makes a tropical fruit different from a regular fruit. What's a regular fruit?

> Tropical fruit, in my experience, is too sweet and too soft. I
> prefer fruits that grow in temperate regions: apples, pears,
> peaches, nectarines, raspberries, strawberries. I am enjoying
> a nice, crisp, sweet-tart apple right now. I even prefer dried
> temperate fruit to fresh tropical fruit.
>
> I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
> all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Bananas have got to be the world's most boring fruit. It's popularity is puzzling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
> > all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

> Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.

That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 03:33:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
>> > all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

>> Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.

>That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
>Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.

So it's not very nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27 6:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

> That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
> Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.

I have had a few breakfast smoothies. They were surprisingly satisfying.
I used banana, frozen yogurt, ice and a little bit of honey. If I were
ambitious enough to get the blender out of the cupboard and clean it up
right away I would have them more often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
>> > all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

>> Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.

> That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
> Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't get smoothies but shakes? What's not to love about sucking ice
cream through a straw??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 11:40:07 AM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.

> > That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
> > Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I don't get smoothies but shakes? What's not to love about sucking ice
> cream through a straw??

Still not enough for a meal and too much for a beverage. I prefer
salty snacks.

In any event, I like to chew my ice cream.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 12:50 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
>>> Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I don't get smoothies but shakes? What's not to love about sucking ice
>> cream through a straw??

> Still not enough for a meal and too much for a beverage. I prefer
> salty snacks.
>
> In any event, I like to chew my ice cream.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat. There
are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at fast food
places are not a shake at all, just white glop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27 1:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat. There
> are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at fast food
> places are not a shake at all, just white glop.

That's for sure. Most places that sell milk shakes these days use
special machines that whip of a mix with a bunch of ice. It's more of a
chemical smoothie than a real milk shake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:51:21 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> I don't get smoothies but shakes? What's not to love about sucking ice
> >> cream through a straw??

> > Still not enough for a meal and too much for a beverage. I prefer
> > salty snacks.
> >
> > In any event, I like to chew my ice cream.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat. There
> are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at fast food
> places are not a shake at all, just white glop.

We got a new eatery down the street. The serve a chocolate malt drink that looks like a shake but it comes out of a dispenser. People were inquiring about the "Chocolate Malt" for a long while before they started serving it. It's an ok drink but mostly, it's sought after because you can't get it hardly anywhere. Very interesting!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:51:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> I don't get smoothies but shakes? What's not to love about sucking ice
>>> cream through a straw??

>> Still not enough for a meal and too much for a beverage. I prefer
>> salty snacks.
>>
>> In any event, I like to chew my ice cream.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat. There
>are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at fast food
>places are not a shake at all, just white glop.

IMO, milkshakes are for children.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat. There
> are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at fast food
> places are not a shake at all, just white glop.

Val's Burgers in Hayward, CA (SFBA).

<http://www.foodspiration.com/2009/03/revisiting-classic-vals-burgers.html>

Not only do they still make real milkshakes, but they'll make most any
fountain treat, including malts, phosphates, etc (I don't think
Californians actually know what an "egg cream" is). They gotta bank of
those old Ham/Beach triple mixers and their milkshakes are so big, you
get a SS mixing cup with extra milkshake in it to pour into to yer old
fashioned milkshake glass. Jes like the old days!

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hamilton-Beach-40DM-Jadite-Green-Triple-Milk-Shake-3-Head-Mixer-USA-/252858705040?hash=item3adf8da490:g:1k8AAOSwnF9Y7T6 I>

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 03:33:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I eat a few oranges every winter when they're good. I'm not
>> > all that fond of bananas, because they have no acid.

>> Bananas are good in a citrus smoothie.

>That's very nice. I've never been fond of milkshakes or smoothies.
>Not enough for a meal; too much for a beverage.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Pineapple contains acid too and goes great with bananas and coconut.
Add some rum to make it a meal. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:28:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 27 Apr 2017 11:09:18a, Bruce told us...
>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:51:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski >
>> wrote:

>>>If you can find a really good properly made shake it is a treat.
>>>There are few places left anymore that can make one. The junk at
>>>fast food places are not a shake at all, just white glop.

>> IMO, milkshakes are for children.
>>

>IMO, milkshakes are for anyone who enjoyes them. Is there a law?

No, everybody's allowed to consume milkshakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> We have two local ice cream parlors that make their own varieties of
> ice cream (not soft serve). They will make up a menu full of sundaes,
> parfaits, milk shakes, and malts, and they also make their own hot
> fudge and caramel toppings. It's a treat to go either of these places,
> although they're a bit pricey for ice cream and such.

We have two icecream places that make their own too, but it is not all
that good. I bought a dish of pistachio at one place and found it had
just a tiny bit of pistachio and 90% walnuts. Never went back.

There is another place that has excellent ice cream and unusual flavors,
but it is 60 miles away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I have one of the Hamilton Beach single head jadaite green malt
> mixers dating back to the early 1940s. Still runs like new, and
> makes wonderful shakes and malts.

No doubt a fine device. I advise you hang on to it.

Wally World recently changed their in-house appliance branding from
Emerson to Hamilton Beach. My last cheapo Emerson microwave finally
went tits-up and when I went to replace it with yet another Emerson
1000W m/w ($55USD), I could only find cheapo Hamilton-Beach m/w's.
So, I bought one ($57USD-1000W). Yep, it's cheaper made. Only lasted
32 days before it started acting up. But, still works and I'll use it
as long as it does.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 07:13:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:50:05 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Porridge year-round for me. Once or twice a year I have eggs instead.

>> Me too, but not everyday. In the summer I lay off a bit on the
>> porridge. I usually don't bother to use the stove and heating something
>> hot on hot day, but once or twice a week is good. Cereal with fruit is a
>> nice change.

>Microwave. My house is conditioned to about 21 C year-round.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Cooked cereal is the only thing I found a crockpot does very well... I
would make enough for a week and keep it in the fridge, then reheat
portions in the microwave as needed... did steel cut oats (pin oats)
extremely well, no stirring needed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love a good coffee frappe, haven't had a decent one since Woolworth's went out a million years ago. Here, a milkshake is just milk and flavoring, like a frothy chocolate milk. A frappe is made with ice cream, milk, and flavoring. Damn, now I'm really missing Woolworth's, we used to stop there every day after school. Four or five of us used to chip in to come up with 25 cents for a big plate of French fries, then cover the whole thing with ketchup.

Our Woolworth had a resident bird with a filthy mouth. The older kids used to teach it dirty words, so you'd be just innocently shopping around the store when all of a sudden you'd be assaulted with screeching loud obscenities. Good old days, I wonder whatever happened to that old bird.

Denise in NH

Unicorn meat ImStillMags General Cooking 3 29-03-2011 12:36 AM
Unicorn meat Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 28-03-2011 04:18 PM
unicorn meat bulka[_2_] General Cooking 11 04-04-2010 08:42 PM
Mocha Frappuccino T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 19-02-2005 05:24 AM
Almost Starbuck's Frappuccino Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 15 23-07-2004 02:43 PM