Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Serving refried beans (without tortillas)

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 6:46:06 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:21:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 5:28:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Famine is not the only reason people can have an interest in new food from
> >> other places.
> >>
> >> I think many cooks here can be interested in new foods.
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> >I get the feeling that most folks here are not interested in expanding their food horizons but would rather dis the foods of others and belittle other posters. My immediate goals are to make some refried beans and eat a raw egg on rice. By doing this, I will learn how other people think about foods. These are small things for sure but eating is not the goal - learning is.

> I think you are wrong about us and new food horizons. Depending on
> our ethnic backgrounds, travel and places we've live, we each have a
> different level of acceptance. And, let's face it. Just look at the
> runny egg post -- there are just some foods that make each of us go
> ewwww.
> At least we recognize that you are more than an "island" in the middle
> of the ocean
> Janet US

Putting a raw egg on some hot rice, stirring, and then eating it does sound like a nasty idea. That ain't gonna stop me from trying it - at least once..

Actually, we are a little rock in the middle of nowhere and we like to cause trouble for the folks on the mainland. It can't be helped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:16:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 7:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I'm interested in the cultural/sociological aspects of the foods we eat. You won't be able to understand a people without knowing about their relationship with food. It's better to know about others than to not know.

> > When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
> > pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
> > the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

> I was just talking about food that you may or may not like. Now he's
> switched to eating authentic to understand the Mexican culture. Well he
> can google mexican culture all he wants but I'll still eat my way and
> the hell with what some other country does.
>
> My guess it.... oh never mind. He's an asian racist from what I hear here.

And you disrespect women... from what I hear here. Let me try to understand what you're saying. If a group of rich black dudes or Mexicans overthrew your country and took over - you would be okay with that? That wouldn't affect your outlook on rich folks, black folks, or Mexicans? Who do you think you are - Jesus?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:52:09 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 3:03:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> >> of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > Sounds like a good idea. Jesus tells us that we should love our neighbor.
> >

> Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
> roasted?

Everything is better on a rotisserie. Well, skinny guys not so much but rich fatty guys are totally awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>>dsi1 wrote:

>> >Whether anyone likes it or not, the stuff we're eating here is going to
>> >have a big influence on the food trends over there. I'm not a big fan of
>> >poi but my granddaughter is. My guess is that taro and poi will be
>> >trending on the mainland.
>> >
>> >Obviously the young folks ain't interested in the stale foods of the
>> >previous generations. They will be looking towards Asia for new ideas.
>> >Practically everything from Asia passes through here first. We change it
>> >a little to suit us and it gets passed in an Easterly direction. Expect
>> >that to happen.
>> >
>> >That is, of course, assuming we're not a glowing pile of nuclear rubble
>> >in a short while. Let's face it, when Mr. Un talks about a "super-mighty
>> >pre-emptive strike" he's talking about sending a nuke in our general
>> >direction. Maybe he'll miss.

>> Do you really think that a big country like the US accepts new food
>> influences from a huge continent like Asia only via the little
>> ******** that is Hawaii?

>We generally get them direct from Asian immigrants, who we
>generally get direct from Asia. We get about a million
>new immigrants every year, of whom 46% are from Asia.
>I believe those are the figures for legal immigrants.
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>===
>
>Famine is not the only reason people can have an interest in new food from
>other places.
>I think many cooks here can be interested in new foods.

There are probably more Asians living in NYC than in all of Hawaii.
http://gothamist.com/2011/06/24/nycs...idly_incre.php
Ah, so. . . there are more Asians in NYC than the entire population of
Hawaii... gotta scroll down a wee bit:
https://suburbanstats.org/population...live-in-hawaii
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=nyregion&_r=0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:09:49 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> "Ophelia" wrote:
> >"Cindy Hamilton" wrote:
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> Do you really think that a big country like the US accepts new food
> >> influences from a huge continent like Asia only via the little
> >> ******** that is Hawaii?

> >We generally get them direct from Asian immigrants, who we
> >generally get direct from Asia. We get about a million
> >new immigrants every year, of whom 46% are from Asia.
> >I believe those are the figures for legal immigrants.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton
> >
> >===
> >
> >Famine is not the only reason people can have an interest in new food from
> >other places.
> >I think many cooks here can be interested in new foods.
> >

> There are probably more Asians living in NYC than in all of Hawaii.
> http://gothamist.com/2011/06/24/nycs...idly_incre.php
> Ah, so. . . there are more Asians in NYC than the entire population of
> Hawaii... gotta scroll down a wee bit:
> https://suburbanstats.org/population...live-in-hawaii
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=nyregion&_r=0

Holy smokes! Who knew? You have got to get this data to the White House pronto!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On 21 Apr 2017 13:52:31 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>>On the bright side, made chili yesterday and it was very good. Will

>make
>>>it again.
>>>

>> Well, tell us what you finally did to make chili!
>> ?????
>> Janet US
>>

>This is quite similar to the recipe you posted recently.
>
>Weeknight Black Bean Chili from budgetbytes.com web site.
>
>Ingredients:
>
>1 Tbs olive oil
>1 yellow onion
>4 cloves garlic
>1/2 lb ground turkey
>3 15 oz. cans black beans
>1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
>3 oz tomato paste (1/2 of a 6 oz can)
>1 Tbs chili powder
>1/2 tsp cumin
>1/2 tsp smoked paprika
>1/2 tsp oregano
>1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
>
>Instructions:
>
>1: Dice onion and mince garlic. Put them in a large pot with the olive
>oil. Cook over medium-low heat until softened (2 - 3 minutes)
>
>2: Add the tukey and saute until turkey is just cooked through. Break up
>any lumps.
>
>3: Add everythibg else except salt and stir to combine.
>
>(Instead, I put in crockpot, added tonatoes and some water and cooked on
>high for several hours (2 for me). You will likely need additional water.
>Then add everything else but salt and cook several more hours stirring
>once in a while and adding water as needed. (2 hours for me).) Taste and
>add salt if needed. (I didn't need any). I cooked another two hours on
>low. Skip to step 5.
>
>4: Let the chili simmer about ten minutes. Liquid should thicken a bit.
>Taste and add salt if needed.
>
>5: Serve with your favorite chili topping.
>
>Recipe suggests using liquid in beans, tomatoes as I did.

Good Job, Ken! Glad you found one you liked.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

snip

>Actually, we are a little rock in the middle of nowhere and we like to cause trouble for the folks on the mainland. It can't be helped.

You guys just keep it up. I hear you were even made a state some 58
years ago.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 1:52:09 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 3:03:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> >> of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > Sounds like a good idea. Jesus tells us that we should love our neighbor.
> >

> Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
> roasted?

Depends on which one I bagged. Some of the fitter ones would probably
need to be braised.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:19:21 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> snip
> >
> >Actually, we are a little rock in the middle of nowhere and we like to cause trouble for the folks on the mainland. It can't be helped.

> You guys just keep it up. I hear you were even made a state some 58
> years ago.
> Janet US

Thanks for the encouraging words. We're only a state because Canada refused to join the union and become the 50th state. Of course, it was imperative that there be a 50th state because 49 is a very disorienting, off-balance, number. Unfortunately, back in the late 50's, the only thing available were these tiny mounds of rock in the middle of nowhere. Mostly we were useful for target practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWW5PmYwTYw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:58:08 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > It might be that the Mexicans serve refried beans at every meal
> > > although making it will take hours. OTOH, that might just be my
> > > gringo notion. What's the real story?

> > The real story is they were cheap and effective for carbs and
> > proteins and cooked in largish batches then the broken ones were
> > mashed with fats to provide extra energy. They would think you
> > silly for eating something as bland as rice all the time ;-) Heck,
> > your McDonalds adds rice to the breakfast plates!
> >
> > Carol
> >
> > --

> Have some respect for rice - it has helped most of humanity survive
> and flourish since the beginning. I doubt that Mexicans would feel it
> silly that Asians eat rice or Americans potatoes. I can believe that
> someone on this newsgroup would say such a silly thing.
>
> As it goes, high carbohydrate food sources i.e., starches have been
> important for the survival of the human race. Whether you're talking
> about rice, beans, potatoes, poi, pasta, et al., it might be that
> without the high energy availability that cooked starches provide, we
> might still be living in caves. You are correct that McDonald's
> serves rice in the morning. What's your point?

You asked what the story was. I gave you the answer. If you really got
it then you know their beans (called refried but may have no fat and
never hit a frying pan) is is their answer to your rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> serves rice in the morning. What's your point?
>
> ---
>
> Mexicans do eat potatoes too. I got the idea of putting jalapenos in
> my mashed potatoes from Pati's Mexican table. She said this was a
> favorite after school snack. Her grandma would make those and some
> kind of breaded, fried meat patty. I want to say that it was similar
> to chicken fried steak, but it has been some time since I saw that
> episode. There are Mexican potato salad recipes too.
>
> What I learned about McDonalds is that different parts of the country
> sell different things. We made one cross country move and stopped at
> McDonalds for lunch almost every day. Thankfully they had a salad on
> the menu at that point in time that almost every location sold, and
> it was one that I liked. I saw hot dogs at one and soup at another

Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the
comments are for.

Of COURSE modern times mexicans eat rice and other things as they do
throughout South America, just like we like Kiwi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 5:44:24 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > The real story is they were cheap and effective for carbs and
> > > proteins and cooked in largish batches then the broken ones were
> > > mashed with fats to provide extra energy. They would think you
> > > silly for eating something as bland as rice all the time ;-)
> > > Heck, your McDonalds adds rice to the breakfast plates!
> > >
> > > Carol
> > >
> > > --

> > Have some respect for rice - it has helped most of humanity survive
> > and flourish since the beginning. I doubt that Mexicans would feel
> > it silly that Asians eat rice or Americans potatoes. I can believe
> > that someone on this newsgroup would say such a silly thing.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Mexicans do eat rice. Pasta too. In some parts of Mexico they eat
> > either plain white rice or rice with a few veggies or cilantro in
> > it. It's also put in various soups as is pasta. I don't think Carol
> > knows what she is talking about. They only mashed broken beans? I
> > don't think so.
> >
> > ---
> > As it goes, high carbohydrate food sources i.e., starches have been
> > important for the survival of the human race. Whether you're
> > talking about rice, beans, potatoes, poi, pasta, et al., it might
> > be that without the high energy availability that cooked starches
> > provide, we might still be living in caves. You are correct that
> > McDonald's serves rice in the morning. What's your point?
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Mexicans do eat potatoes too. I got the idea of putting jalapenos
> > in my mashed potatoes from Pati's Mexican table. She said this was
> > a favorite after school snack. Her grandma would make those and
> > some kind of breaded, fried meat patty. I want to say that it was
> > similar to chicken fried steak, but it has been some time since I
> > saw that episode. There are Mexican potato salad recipes too.
> >
> > What I learned about McDonalds is that different parts of the
> > country sell different things. We made one cross country move and
> > stopped at McDonalds for lunch almost every day. Thankfully they
> > had a salad on the menu at that point in time that almost every
> > location sold, and it was one that I liked. I saw hot dogs at one
> > and soup at another one.

> I'm soaking a pot of pintos and will cook them in some porky water
> along with some pork fat. These refried beans will not be wanting of
> pork! Hoo ha!

Grin, remember to boil the pintos for a bit (45 mins?) before reducing
the temp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:12:06 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> > wrote:

> > meal although making it will take hours. >> >OTOH, that might
> > just be my gringo notion. What's the real story? >> >

> > you like >> it and don't worry about what others think.
> > >
> > > I'm interested in the cultural/sociological aspects of the foods
> > > we eat. You won't be able to understand a people without knowing
> > > about their relationship with food. It's better to know about
> > > others than to not know.

> > When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in
> > your pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological
> > aspects of the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin.
> > Right?

> When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 4/21/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 3:03:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> > > of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Sounds like a good idea. Jesus tells us that we should love our
> > neighbor.
> >

> Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
> roasted?

Try a pit? Then your can leave the leftovers in there and cover with
the dirt you removed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> You asked what the story was. I gave you the answer. If you really got
> it then you know their beans (called refried but may have no fat and
> never hit a frying pan) is is their answer to your rice.
>
> --

My question was if the Mexicans ate refried beans with every meal. I did not ask whether or not they added a shitload of oil to refried beans or if frying was mandatory. I already know the answer to those questions. Mostly, you guys ignore the question being asked and answer questions not asked. Why is that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:47:54 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 5:44:24 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > Have some respect for rice - it has helped most of humanity survive
> > > and flourish since the beginning. I doubt that Mexicans would feel
> > > it silly that Asians eat rice or Americans potatoes. I can believe
> > > that someone on this newsgroup would say such a silly thing.
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > Mexicans do eat rice. Pasta too. In some parts of Mexico they eat
> > > either plain white rice or rice with a few veggies or cilantro in
> > > it. It's also put in various soups as is pasta. I don't think Carol
> > > knows what she is talking about. They only mashed broken beans? I
> > > don't think so.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > As it goes, high carbohydrate food sources i.e., starches have been
> > > important for the survival of the human race. Whether you're
> > > talking about rice, beans, potatoes, poi, pasta, et al., it might
> > > be that without the high energy availability that cooked starches
> > > provide, we might still be living in caves. You are correct that
> > > McDonald's serves rice in the morning. What's your point?
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > Mexicans do eat potatoes too. I got the idea of putting jalapenos
> > > in my mashed potatoes from Pati's Mexican table. She said this was
> > > a favorite after school snack. Her grandma would make those and
> > > some kind of breaded, fried meat patty. I want to say that it was
> > > similar to chicken fried steak, but it has been some time since I
> > > saw that episode. There are Mexican potato salad recipes too.
> > >
> > > What I learned about McDonalds is that different parts of the
> > > country sell different things. We made one cross country move and
> > > stopped at McDonalds for lunch almost every day. Thankfully they
> > > had a salad on the menu at that point in time that almost every
> > > location sold, and it was one that I liked. I saw hot dogs at one
> > > and soup at another one.

> > I'm soaking a pot of pintos and will cook them in some porky water
> > along with some pork fat. These refried beans will not be wanting of
> > pork! Hoo ha!

> Grin, remember to boil the pintos for a bit (45 mins?) before reducing
> the temp.
>
> --

It's already done. They are quite porky. I added neither oil nor did I fry them. I'm going to fry the beans in pork fat when I have time this evening. My wife says they're great but she doesn't want to get diarrhea so she's not going to eat much at this time. Smart woman.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...QowQT34K52UVxs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 5:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> [...]

>> ---
>>
>> Mexicans do eat potatoes too. I got the idea of putting jalapenos in
>> my mashed potatoes from Pati's Mexican table. She said this was a
>> favorite after school snack. Her grandma would make those and some
>> kind of breaded, fried meat patty. I want to say that it was similar
>> to chicken fried steak, but it has been some time since I saw that
>> episode. There are Mexican potato salad recipes too.
>>
>> What I learned about McDonalds is that different parts of the country
>> sell different things. We made one cross country move and stopped at
>> McDonalds for lunch almost every day. Thankfully they had a salad on
>> the menu at that point in time that almost every location sold, and
>> it was one that I liked. I saw hot dogs at one and soup at another
>> one.

> Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the

It does not matter what she quotes. I have no idea why she's suddenly
talking about McDonalds. Please allow those of us who have her
killfiled to enjoy the previous silence. Mexicans, potatoes, Mcdonalds?
WTF. Oh, there is a reason I k/f'd dsl1, too. Idiots, both of them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 1:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/21/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 3:03:03 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
>>> of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Sounds like a good idea. Jesus tells us that we should love our
>> neighbor.
>>

> Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
> roasted?

Grilled!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:12:06 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >I'm interested in the cultural/sociological aspects of the foods we eat. You won't be able to understand a people without knowing about their relationship with food. It's better to know about others than to not know.

>> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
>> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
>> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

>When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
>of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.

I don't get it. You have a long pig for a neighbour?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:16:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 4/21/2017 7:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> I'm interested in the cultural/sociological aspects of the foods we eat. You won't be able to understand a people without knowing about their relationship with food. It's better to know about others than to not know.

>> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
>> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
>> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

>I was just talking about food that you may or may not like. Now he's
>switched to eating authentic to understand the Mexican culture. Well he
>can google mexican culture all he wants but I'll still eat my way and
>the hell with what some other country does.
>
>My guess it.... oh never mind. He's an asian racist from what I hear here.

Ain't that a fact.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2017 8:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:12:06 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
>>> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
>>> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

>> When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
>> of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.

> I don't get it. You have a long pig for a neighbour?

You don't? Most of us do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 6:38:52 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:12:06 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
> >> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
> >> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

> >When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> >of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.

> I don't get it. You have a long pig for a neighbour?

That's what cannibals refer to when they eat humans Bruce. You are a
long pig although your meat might be kind of diseased.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:14:32 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 6:38:52 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
>> >of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.

>> I don't get it. You have a long pig for a neighbour?

>That's what cannibals refer to when they eat humans Bruce.

I didn't know that exression.

> You are a
>long pig although your meat might be kind of diseased.

I don't mind all the insults, but can you raise the level a bit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:34:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/21/2017 5:41 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the
>> comments are for.
>>

>It does not matter what she quotes. I have no idea why she's suddenly
>talking about McDonalds. Please allow those of us who have her
>killfiled to enjoy the previous silence. Mexicans, potatoes, Mcdonalds?
> WTF. Oh, there is a reason I k/f'd dsl1, too. Idiots, both of them.

Now McBiddy's telling people not to reply to Julie because McBiddy has
her killfiled? It would seem that McBiddy's deteriorating fast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:09:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:17:42 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:53:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Obviously the young folks ain't interested in the stale foods of the previous generations. They will be looking towards Asia for new ideas. Practically everything from Asia passes through here first. We change it a little to suit us and it gets passed in an Easterly direction. Expect that to happen.

(...)

>> Do you really think that a big country like the US accepts new food
>> influences from a huge continent like Asia only via the little
>> ******** that is Hawaii?

>We generally get them direct from Asian immigrants, who we
>generally get direct from Asia. We get about a million
>new immigrants every year, of whom 46% are from Asia.
>I believe those are the figures for legal immigrants.

Yes, that sounds a lot more realistic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:02:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> Bottom line...who cares about what the Mexicans do? Make it as you like
>>> it and don't worry about what others think.

>>I'm interested in the cultural/sociological aspects of the foods we eat.
>>You won't be able to understand a people without knowing about their
>>relationship with food. It's better to know about others than to not know.

> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

This is true but I do find the history of foods to be fascinating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.foodforlife.com/product/t...rice-tortillas

>> Looks like a winner! Nothing forbidden in ingredient list except rice
>> bran not identified. Hoping brown as brown rice flour used. Tried to
>> figure out how to get from store locator map to a store but couldn't
>> figure it out. Sent them an email instead. Hope they have a store here.
>>
>> I tried Amazon yesterday, but don't recall seeing their brand there.
>> Torillas I did see over $1 EACH!

> They have a store here but it is about a 25 mile drive, Dunno if a
> burrito is worth that! A health food store, likely expemsive.
>
> I think back to Google for a brown rice flour tortilla recipe. The two I
> found didn't work for me. One result was much too thin to form tortillas.
> The other came out very gritty and the tortillas fell apart when I tried
> to transfer them to the frying pan. Both probably fixable but I didn't
> know how.
>
> On the bright side, made chili yesterday and it was very good. Will make
> it again.

I made tortillas twice as a child. I'm sure my methods would make people
here cringe, but they were the only recipes I had. I did somewhat recently
buy a tortilla press but haven't used it yet. Never tried to make rice
tortillas so I can't help you there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> favorite after school snack. Her grandma would make those and some
>> kind of breaded, fried meat patty. I want to say that it was similar
>> to chicken fried steak, but it has been some time since I saw that
>> episode. There are Mexican potato salad recipes too.
>>
>> What I learned about McDonalds is that different parts of the country
>> sell different things. We made one cross country move and stopped at
>> McDonalds for lunch almost every day. Thankfully they had a salad on
>> the menu at that point in time that almost every location sold, and
>> it was one that I liked. I saw hot dogs at one and soup at another
>> one.

> Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the
> comments are for.
>
> Of COURSE modern times mexicans eat rice and other things as they do
> throughout South America, just like we like Kiwi.

That's not MY fault. I am the one who put the "---" in there. All you have
to do is look at the ">'s" to see who said what.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:34:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 4/21/2017 5:41 PM, cshenk wrote:

>>> Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the
>>> comments are for.
>>>

>>It does not matter what she quotes. I have no idea why she's suddenly
>>talking about McDonalds. Please allow those of us who have her
>>killfiled to enjoy the previous silence. Mexicans, potatoes, Mcdonalds?
>> WTF. Oh, there is a reason I k/f'd dsl1, too. Idiots, both of them.

> Now McBiddy's telling people not to reply to Julie because McBiddy has
> her killfiled? It would seem that McBiddy's deteriorating fast.

Too funny. Why would she KF me when I wasn't even posting for a long time?
And I was replying to dsl1. If they didn't want to see my reply, they didn't
have to look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2017 17:11:55 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>Looking for a tasty way to serve refried beans. Tried them yesterday simply
>with magic mushroom powder. Quite good! Thank you, Koko!

You are welcome. Glad you tried it and liked it.

>I'm sure there are many many other ways. Suggestions? Sorry, no tortillas.
>
>TIA

koko

--
When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> You asked what the story was. I gave you the answer. If you really got
> it then you know their beans (called refried but may have no fat and
> never hit a frying pan) is is their answer to your rice.
>
> --

My question was if the Mexicans ate refried beans with every meal. I did not
ask whether or not they added a shitload of oil to refried beans or if
frying was mandatory. I already know the answer to those questions. Mostly,
you guys ignore the question being asked and answer questions not asked. Why
is that?

---

I was told that refried beans are mostly eaten for special occasions in
Mexico because any kind of fat is hard to come by for most people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 10:41:01 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > You asked what the story was. I gave you the answer. If you really got
> > it then you know their beans (called refried but may have no fat and
> > never hit a frying pan) is is their answer to your rice.
> >
> > --

> My question was if the Mexicans ate refried beans with every meal. I did not
> ask whether or not they added a shitload of oil to refried beans or if
> frying was mandatory. I already know the answer to those questions. Mostly,
> you guys ignore the question being asked and answer questions not asked. Why
> is that?
>
> ---
>
> I was told that refried beans are mostly eaten for special occasions in
> Mexico because any kind of fat is hard to come by for most people.

That's interesting. If I get a chance to talk to the Mexican couple that live around here, I'll casually bring the topic up. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 5:54:04 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:34:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >>It does not matter what she quotes. I have no idea why she's suddenly
> >>talking about McDonalds. Please allow those of us who have her
> >>killfiled to enjoy the previous silence. Mexicans, potatoes, Mcdonalds?
> >> WTF. Oh, there is a reason I k/f'd dsl1, too. Idiots, both of them.

> > Now McBiddy's telling people not to reply to Julie because McBiddy has
> > her killfiled? It would seem that McBiddy's deteriorating fast.

> Too funny. Why would she KF me when I wasn't even posting for a long time?
> And I was replying to dsl1. If they didn't want to see my reply, they didn't
> have to look.

You know how 5 year olds will stick their fingers in their ears and make a big noise about how they're not listening? Same thing - except it ain't cute when an adult does it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 02:58:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 5:54:04 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> > Now McBiddy's telling people not to reply to Julie because McBiddy has
>> > her killfiled? It would seem that McBiddy's deteriorating fast.

>> Too funny. Why would she KF me when I wasn't even posting for a long time?
>> And I was replying to dsl1. If they didn't want to see my reply, they didn't
>> have to look.

>You know how 5 year olds will stick their fingers in their ears and make a big noise about how they're not listening? Same thing - except it ain't cute when an adult does it.

True that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:38:52 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 7:12:06 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> When that famine hits, you'll just eat what you happen to have in your
> >> pantry, without worrying about "the cultural/sociological aspects of
> >> the foods". Those "others" can go sit on it and spin. Right?

> >When that famine hits, I'm going to see if I can bring down one
> >of my neighbors. Excellent long pig.

> I don't get it. You have a long pig for a neighbour?

"Long pig" is a translation of a Maori or Polynesian term for
human flesh, which apparently tastes something like pork.
(At last: something that doesn't taste like chicken.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 5:52:26 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 4/21/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Sounds like a good idea. Jesus tells us that we should love our
> > > neighbor.
> > >

> > Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
> > roasted?

> Try a pit? Then your can leave the leftovers in there and cover with
> the dirt you removed.

I'd have to just wing the neighbor and make him dig the pit. Our
ground is too hard for me to dig by hand.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-21 10:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:34:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/2017 5:41 PM, cshenk wrote:

>>> Julie, Please work on your quoting. It's impossible to tell who the
>>> comments are for.
>>>

>> It does not matter what she quotes. I have no idea why she's suddenly
>> talking about McDonalds. Please allow those of us who have her
>> killfiled to enjoy the previous silence. Mexicans, potatoes, Mcdonalds?
>> WTF. Oh, there is a reason I k/f'd dsl1, too. Idiots, both of them.

> Now McBiddy's telling people not to reply to Julie because McBiddy has
> her killfiled? It would seem that McBiddy's deteriorating fast.

That's fair. There were a number of people whining about people picking
on Julie and suggestions that we would continue to do so even if she
disappeared. Thank goodness she did leave, but then the some of the
sisterhood of stupidity kept dropping bait messages to get people
talking about her. They must have been terribly disappointed that it
did not work.

A lot of people had her kill filed so they would not have to read her
idiocy directly, but then there were those compulsive posters who had to
reply to everything she posted and to include the idiotic post they were
replying to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2017 7:05 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 5:52:26 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Good point, but would the neighbor be loved more on the rotisserie or
>>> roasted?

>> Try a pit? Then your can leave the leftovers in there and cover with
>> the dirt you removed.

> I'd have to just wing the neighbor and make him dig the pit. Our
> ground is too hard for me to dig by hand.

LOL. Good one, Cindy! :-D

refried beans Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 219 23-05-2011 10:21 PM
Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 05:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 04:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 08:20 PM