Posted to alt.food.safety, rec.food.cooking, rec.food.marketplace, fl.general,sac.politics

Default Fresh Express Recalls Batch After Dead Bat Found In Prepackaged Salad

An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
sordid new ingredient.

On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
Spring Mix.

But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
production lot are subject to the recall.

The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.

Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
investigation into the matter.

Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
receive treatment for the disease.

"Both people report being in good health and neither has any
signs of rabies," the CDC says.

The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
cases of bat material found in packaged salads.

"People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
their health department," the CDC advises.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

Posted to alt.food.safety,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace,fl.general,sac.politics

On 4/9/2017 4:47 PM, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> sordid new ingredient.
>
> On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
>
> According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> Spring Mix.
>
> But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> production lot are subject to the recall.
>
> The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
>
> Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> investigation into the matter.
>
> Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> receive treatment for the disease.
>
> "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> signs of rabies," the CDC says.
>
> The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
>
> "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> their health department," the CDC advises.
>
> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

well that tops the snail that came crawling out of the salad at the
Japanese restaurant the other day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> sordid new ingredient.
>
> On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
>
> According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> Spring Mix.
>
> But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> production lot are subject to the recall.
>
> The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
>
> Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> investigation into the matter.
>
> Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> receive treatment for the disease.
>
> "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> signs of rabies," the CDC says.
>
> The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
>
> "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> their health department," the CDC advises.
>
> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news
On 4/9/2017 4:47 PM, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> sordid new ingredient.
>
> On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
>
> According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> Spring Mix.
>
> But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> production lot are subject to the recall.
>
> The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
>
> Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> investigation into the matter.
>
> Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> receive treatment for the disease.
>
> "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> signs of rabies," the CDC says.
>
> The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
>
> "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> their health department," the CDC advises.
>
> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

well that tops the snail that came crawling out of the salad at the
Japanese restaurant the other day.

===

I don't know, some people are never satisfied! You get free protein and
still complain ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> sordid new ingredient.
>
> On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
>
> According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> Spring Mix.
>
> But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> production lot are subject to the recall.
>
> The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
>
> Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> investigation into the matter.
>
> Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> receive treatment for the disease.
>
> "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> signs of rabies," the CDC says.
>
> The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
>
> "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> their health department," the CDC advises.
>
> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk

===

You have eaten them??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:27:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> > An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> > sordid new ingredient.
> >
> > On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> > recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> > in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
> >
> > According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> > two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> > organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> > Spring Mix.
> >
> > But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> > statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> > production lot are subject to the recall.
> >
> > The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> > stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> > has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> > and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
> >
> > Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> > investigation into the matter.
> >
> > Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> > immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> > but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> > receive treatment for the disease.
> >
> > "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> > signs of rabies," the CDC says.
> >
> > The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> > is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> > transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> > uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> > cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
> >
> > "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> > find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> > their health department," the CDC advises.
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
>
> ===
>
> You have eaten them??
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

No, just kidding. As I recall, bat soup is served in the island nation of Palau. The recipe is simple - you boil a fruit bat in coconut milk. No cleaning is done which simplifies things a lot. I guess that would be a cheap meal since there's a lot of coconut and a lot of fruit bats on this planet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 4/9/2017 4:47 PM, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> > An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> > sordid new ingredient.
> >
> > On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> > recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> > in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
> >
> > According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> > two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> > organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> > Spring Mix.
> >
> > But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> > statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> > production lot are subject to the recall.
> >
> > The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> > stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> > has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> > and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
> >
> > Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> > investigation into the matter.
> >
> > Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> > immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> > but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> > receive treatment for the disease.
> >
> > "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> > signs of rabies," the CDC says.
> >
> > The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> > is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> > transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> > uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> > cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
> >
> > "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> > find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> > their health department," the CDC advises.
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad
> >

> well that tops the snail that came crawling out of the salad at the
> Japanese restaurant the other day.

In the 1962 horror film "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", demented ex - child actor Jane (Bette Davis) serves a rat to her hapless invalid sister Blanche (Joan Crawford)...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:19:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:27:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> > An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> > sordid new ingredient.
> >
> > On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> > recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> > in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
> >
> > According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> > two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> > organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> > Spring Mix.
> >
> > But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> > statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> > production lot are subject to the recall.
> >
> > The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> > stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> > has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> > and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
> >
> > Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> > investigation into the matter.
> >
> > Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> > immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> > but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> > receive treatment for the disease.
> >
> > "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> > signs of rabies," the CDC says.
> >
> > The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> > is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> > transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> > uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> > cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
> >
> > "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> > find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> > their health department," the CDC advises.
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
>
> ===
>
> You have eaten them??
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

No, just kidding. As I recall, bat soup is served in the island nation of
Palau. The recipe is simple - you boil a fruit bat in coconut milk. No
cleaning is done which simplifies things a lot. I guess that would be a
cheap meal since there's a lot of coconut and a lot of fruit bats on this
planet.

==

But not in this house, thank you)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 8:34:48 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:19:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1ahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> > Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

I always smell scams. I'll have to agree with you on this one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:20:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:27:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:55:53 PM UTC-10, Vegan Hotdogs wrote:
> > > An unwelcome discovery by a couple of salad eaters included a
> > > sordid new ingredient.
> > >
> > > On Saturday, the company Fresh Express announced a precautionary
> > > recall of some of its prepackaged salad mixes, after two people
> > > in Florida say they found a dead bat in their leafy greens.
> > >
> > > According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
> > > two had eaten some of the product before finding the decomposed
> > > organism in a 5-ounce clear container of the Organic Marketside
> > > Spring Mix.
> > >
> > > But "out of an abundance of caution," Fresh Express says in a
> > > statement, all Organic Marketside Spring Mix salads from that
> > > production lot are subject to the recall.
> > >
> > > The mix in question was distributed exclusively to Walmart
> > > stores located in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Walmart
> > > has since pulled the product from its shelves, the company adds,
> > > and no other Marketside salads are included in the recall.
> > >
> > > Florida health officials, the FDA and the CDC have launched an
> > > investigation into the matter.
> > >
> > > Due to the animal's decayed condition, the CDC couldn't
> > > immediately rule out whether this particular bat carried rabies,
> > > but recommended the two people who ate the contaminated salad
> > > receive treatment for the disease.
> > >
> > > "Both people report being in good health and neither has any
> > > signs of rabies," the CDC says.
> > >
> > > The deadly rabies virus is endemic to bats across the U.S., but
> > > is rarely contracted by humans. And, as the CDC points out,
> > > transmission through consuming an infected animal is "extremely
> > > uncommon." The agency adds that it hasn't heard of any other
> > > cases of bat material found in packaged salads.
> > >
> > > "People who have eaten the recalled salad product and did not
> > > find animal material are not at risk and do not need to contact
> > > their health department," the CDC advises.
> > >
> > > http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
> > > way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
> > > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> > Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
> >
> > ===
> >
> > You have eaten them??
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> No, just kidding. As I recall, bat soup is served in the island nation of
> Palau. The recipe is simple - you boil a fruit bat in coconut milk. No
> cleaning is done which simplifies things a lot. I guess that would be a
> cheap meal since there's a lot of coconut and a lot of fruit bats on this
> planet.
>
> ==
>
> But not in this house, thank you)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This place is stinkin' with coconuts but no bats. That's a shame, bats are cool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 2:18 PM, The Greatest! wrote:

> In the 1962 horror film "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", demented ex - child actor Jane (Bette Davis) serves a rat to her hapless invalid sister Blanche (Joan Crawford)...

In some countries they do eat rats. The ones in the rice paddies are
cleaner, lighter tasting from sewer rats. If you Google "eating rats"
you will get more information than you ever wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]
> > > bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

> > Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tK7PwsdPxk
> >
> > ===
> >
> > You have eaten them??
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> No, just kidding. As I recall, bat soup is served in the island nation of
> Palau. The recipe is simple - you boil a fruit bat in coconut milk. No
> cleaning is done which simplifies things a lot. I guess that would be a
> cheap meal since there's a lot of coconut and a lot of fruit bats on this
> planet.
>
> ==
>
> But not in this house, thank you)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This place is stinkin' with coconuts but no bats. That's a shame, bats are

If I ever manage to get one, I shall send it post haste!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about the live scorpion in bagged spinach? That is what a Maryland couple found.
There was a photo of it on GMA this morning.

Is that more free protein?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 2:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:19:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>> http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-
>>> way/2017/04/09/523154228/fresh-express-issues-recall-after-dead-
>>> bat-reportedly-found-in-prepackaged-salad

>> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-11 4:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.

I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:22:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-11 4:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>>> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>

>I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
>it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

Have you ever grown your own vegetables? Did you know that happens
outdoors, where all the bugs are?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-11 5:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:22:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>>

>> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
>> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

> Have you ever grown your own vegetables? Did you know that happens
> outdoors, where all the bugs are?

Don't worry. I didn't try to sue anyone, and it did not least to any
sort of post traumatic stress disorder. It was just a rude and
disgusting surprising. If I had done the cooking I may have cut up the
florets, discovered that creature, removed it, washed the floret and
played slug roulette. But I didn't. I discovered it when I cut into the
floret, and it was a really rude surprise with a huge ick factor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:40:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-11 5:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:22:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
>>> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

>> Have you ever grown your own vegetables? Did you know that happens
>> outdoors, where all the bugs are?

>Don't worry. I didn't try to sue anyone, and it did not least to any
>sort of post traumatic stress disorder. It was just a rude and
>disgusting surprising. If I had done the cooking I may have cut up the
>florets, discovered that creature, removed it, washed the floret and
>played slug roulette. But I didn't. I discovered it when I cut into the
>floret, and it was a really rude surprise with a huge ick factor.

Yes, it shouldn't have ended up on your plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 5:22 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-11 4:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>>> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>

> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

I hear you, ugh. I got a worm type thing in an artichoke once.
You just don't want to see that when you're eating.

And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> In some countries they do eat rats. The ones in the rice paddies are
> cleaner, lighter tasting from sewer rats. If you Google "eating rats"
> you will get more information than you ever wanted.

True dat!

Read the O'Brian novel series. Rat catching and selling of ship-board
rats became increasingly common amongst mid-shipmen --and no doubt
other shipboard personnel-- as a ship's stores diminished in quality
and quantity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_O'Brian

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:18:53 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 4/10/2017 2:34 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Fruit bat I hope. They're tasty!

> > Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
> > Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.

Expect visitors when buying organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:50:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:18:53 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/2017 2:34 PM, sf wrote:

>> > Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>> > Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>

>Expect visitors when buying organic.

So you're saying that if it's not an organic vegetable, bugs can't eat
it? But we all do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:18:53 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/2017 2:34 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>>> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>

> Expect visitors when buying organic.

Agreed. This was back before the big organic push. Whatever, romaine
made a nice hiding place. We don't have those jumbo grasshoppers
around here that I know of.

Anyway, I don't think of scorpions living where salad lettuce
would grow, but I really don't know that much about scorpions. Aside
from being related to horseshoe crabs.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 10:21 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:50:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> Expect visitors when buying organic.

> So you're saying that if it's not an organic vegetable, bugs can't eat
> it? But we all do?

Yeah, that's what she was saying. Or that stuff that's sprayed for
bugs might not have any.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:21:40 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

> So you're saying that if it's not an organic vegetable, bugs can't eat
> it? But we all do?

I'm saying organic food is not for the squeamish. If you can't
tolerate them, then don't buy organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 4/11/2017 5:22 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-11 4:18 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> Am I the only one who smells another scam like the finger found in
>>> Wendy's chili? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ayala

>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>

> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

I hear you, ugh. I got a worm type thing in an artichoke once.
You just don't want to see that when you're eating.

And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

nancy

===

I have never had anything like that happen to me .... thank goodness!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2017 3:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote

> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

> I have never had anything like that happen to me .... thank goodness!

It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)

I'm not as bad as I used to be about bugs but still.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 4/12/2017 3:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote

> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

> I have never had anything like that happen to me .... thank goodness!

It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)

I'm not as bad as I used to be about bugs but still.

nancy

=====

Ewwwwwwwwww not for me((

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:23:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/12/2017 3:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" wrote

>> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
>> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

>> I have never had anything like that happen to me .... thank goodness!

>It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
>more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
>like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)
>
>I'm not as bad as I used to be about bugs but still.
>
>nancy

wiggle the tomato plant before you handle. If you hear a clicking
noise, there is a hornworm in there. True. Cut him in half with your
pruning shears and dump him. Job done!
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2017 8:28 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:23:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
>> more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
>> like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)

> wiggle the tomato plant before you handle. If you hear a clicking
> noise, there is a hornworm in there. True. Cut him in half with your
> pruning shears and dump him. Job done!

These are all scary words put together in one hellish paragraph!

A clicking noise, okay I'll remember that. I feel like I might
have had hornworms last year so I'd better get with it.

My Dad used to make us pick them off. Some things never leave
you. Heh. They're so big. And green. And strong.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:33:58 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/12/2017 8:28 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:23:48 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> It looked just like a pecan. ACK! I'm a baby. Just one
>>> more thing to freak me out about tomato hornworms, they look
>>> like tomato vines, you could touch them by accident. (laugh)

>> wiggle the tomato plant before you handle. If you hear a clicking
>> noise, there is a hornworm in there. True. Cut him in half with your
>> pruning shears and dump him. Job done!

>These are all scary words put together in one hellish paragraph!
>
>A clicking noise, okay I'll remember that. I feel like I might
>have had hornworms last year so I'd better get with it.
>
>My Dad used to make us pick them off. Some things never leave
>you. Heh. They're so big. And green. And strong.
>
>nancy

LOL -- that's why you go with a weapon I can't touch them. Ewwww!
So I've given you my way of dealing. Trouble is, the little ones are
hard to see. But I'll be darned if I'll let them bite a hole on this
tomato and then move onto another and another.
"If" you have no objection to using a shake-on powder, there is Bt, an
organic insecticide.. I use the powder on my broccoli and cabbage
because I know those staggering white moths bring little worms and I
have used it on corn (although if you buy corn seeds that say that the
husks cover the cob tightly, you won't be bothered by corn worms) and
sometimes use it on tomatoes when times are really bad.
Off to battle!
P.S...my tomato plants have all been potted up into their final 1
gallon pots. (they grew faster this year) They are lined up on my
kitchen windowsill and just behind the faucets. (I should only have 4
plants -- I promised myself I would only keep 4 plants. But I couldn't
kill the 'just in case' seedlings so I have 10 tomato plants) All
waiting for it to be warm enough to spend the days outside on the deck
to harden off.
I'll pot-seed cucumbers squash this weekend.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2017 9:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:33:58 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/2017 8:28 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:23:48 -0400, Nancy Young

>> A clicking noise, okay I'll remember that. I feel like I might
>> have had hornworms last year so I'd better get with it.
>>
>> My Dad used to make us pick them off. Some things never leave
>> you. Heh. They're so big. And green. And strong.

> LOL -- that's why you go with a weapon I can't touch them. Ewwww!

They probably scared my father, that's why he made us do it. Heh.

> So I've given you my way of dealing. Trouble is, the little ones are
> hard to see. But I'll be darned if I'll let them bite a hole on this
> tomato and then move onto another and another.

I did see some of that last year so I'm prepared that I'll need to deal
with it.

> "If" you have no objection to using a shake-on powder, there is Bt, an
> organic insecticide.. I use the powder on my broccoli and cabbage
> because I know those staggering white moths bring little worms and I
> have used it on corn (although if you buy corn seeds that say that the
> husks cover the cob tightly, you won't be bothered by corn worms) and
> sometimes use it on tomatoes when times are really bad.
> Off to battle!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might get some.

> P.S...my tomato plants have all been potted up into their final 1
> gallon pots. (they grew faster this year)

Already! I got a late start and mine are nowhere near ready.

> They are lined up on my
> kitchen windowsill and just behind the faucets. (I should only have 4
> plants -- I promised myself I would only keep 4 plants. But I couldn't
> kill the 'just in case' seedlings so I have 10 tomato plants)

That's the worst. First I have to murder the extras in any given cell,
then I have to let some die after all that work. But you have to plant
extras.

> All
> waiting for it to be warm enough to spend the days outside on the deck
> to harden off.
> I'll pot-seed cucumbers squash this weekend.

I have my cukes going, too. I did buy parsley seeds, so I'm going to
plant those soon. Already planted spinach, lettuce and threw in some
shallots for a joke.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:58:13 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/12/2017 9:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:33:58 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> A clicking noise, okay I'll remember that. I feel like I might
>>> have had hornworms last year so I'd better get with it.
>>>
>>> My Dad used to make us pick them off. Some things never leave
>>> you. Heh. They're so big. And green. And strong.

>> LOL -- that's why you go with a weapon I can't touch them. Ewwww!

>They probably scared my father, that's why he made us do it. Heh.
>
>> So I've given you my way of dealing. Trouble is, the little ones are
>> hard to see. But I'll be darned if I'll let them bite a hole on this
>> tomato and then move onto another and another.

>I did see some of that last year so I'm prepared that I'll need to deal
>with it.
>
>> "If" you have no objection to using a shake-on powder, there is Bt, an
>> organic insecticide.. I use the powder on my broccoli and cabbage
>> because I know those staggering white moths bring little worms and I
>> have used it on corn (although if you buy corn seeds that say that the
>> husks cover the cob tightly, you won't be bothered by corn worms) and
>> sometimes use it on tomatoes when times are really bad.
>> Off to battle!

>Thanks for the suggestion, I might get some.
>
>> P.S...my tomato plants have all been potted up into their final 1
>> gallon pots. (they grew faster this year)

>Already! I got a late start and mine are nowhere near ready.
>
> > They are lined up on my
>> kitchen windowsill and just behind the faucets. (I should only have 4
>> plants -- I promised myself I would only keep 4 plants. But I couldn't
>> kill the 'just in case' seedlings so I have 10 tomato plants)

>That's the worst. First I have to murder the extras in any given cell,
>then I have to let some die after all that work. But you have to plant
>extras.
>
>> All
>> waiting for it to be warm enough to spend the days outside on the deck
>> to harden off.
>> I'll pot-seed cucumbers squash this weekend.

>I have my cukes going, too. I did buy parsley seeds, so I'm going to
>plant those soon. Already planted spinach, lettuce and threw in some
>shallots for a joke.
>
>nancy

sounds like we're getting ready
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 5:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-11 5:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:22:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
>>> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

>> Have you ever grown your own vegetables? Did you know that happens
>> outdoors, where all the bugs are?

> Don't worry. I didn't try to sue anyone, and it did not least to any
> sort of post traumatic stress disorder. It was just a rude and
> disgusting surprising. If I had done the cooking I may have cut up the
> florets, discovered that creature, removed it, washed the floret and
> played slug roulette. But I didn't. I discovered it when I cut into the
> floret, and it was a really rude surprise with a huge ick factor.

Yep, Dave. I always wash fresh vegetables. And generally cut things
like broccoli and cauliflower into florets first, then wash them in a
collander. I'm sure if I'd been preparing that cauliflower myself I'd
have found and disposed of that slug. Not to be included as added
protein.

I love fresh cabbage. I've found some kind of larvae when tearing off
the thick outer leaves of fresh cabbage prior to washing it. I'd have
discarded those leaves anyway. Threw the bugs and the tough outer
leaves away. I didn't throw the cabbage away.

Yes, bugs are naturally occuring in gardens. Doesn't mean I want to eat
them. That's why I thoroughly wash any and all fresh produce.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 5:58 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, I was once breaking down a head of bagged romaine
>>> when a grasshopper crawled out. A very large one.
>>>

>> I once cut into a chunk of cooked broccoli and there was a huge slug in
>> it. It turned me off broccoli for a while.

> I hear you, ugh. I got a worm type thing in an artichoke once.
> You just don't want to see that when you're eating.
>
> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.
>
> nancy

That's a little *too fresh* for me. I'll take a jar of mixed nuts
instead, please.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2017 5:58 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

So ... we brought the aforementioned hummingbird cake which has
pecan pieces all over the top. It's sitting on a sideboard and
I see my SIL bending over it, looking. Something's moving, she
says.

Flashback to the liviing pecan. Turns out she was making a little
joke about seeing hummingbirds, but all I thought was Horror Show
another live pecan!

She couldn't have known, but the look on my face ...

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:10:57 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 4/11/2017 5:58 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
>> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

>So ... we brought the aforementioned hummingbird cake which has
>pecan pieces all over the top. It's sitting on a sideboard and
>I see my SIL bending over it, looking. Something's moving, she
>says.
>
>Flashback to the liviing pecan. Turns out she was making a little
>joke about seeing hummingbirds, but all I thought was Horror Show
>another live pecan!
>
>She couldn't have known, but the look on my face ...
>
>nancy

that deserves a like retaliation at a later date heheheheh. . .
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2017 10:37 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:10:57 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/11/2017 5:58 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> And I haven't shelled a pecan since the time I found a live
>>> pecan. I know, worms in nuts, hardly surprising.

>> So ... we brought the aforementioned hummingbird cake which has
>> pecan pieces all over the top. It's sitting on a sideboard and
>> I see my SIL bending over it, looking. Something's moving, she
>> says.
>>
>> Flashback to the liviing pecan. Turns out she was making a little
>> joke about seeing hummingbirds, but all I thought was Horror Show
>> another live pecan!
>>
>> She couldn't have known, but the look on my face ...

> that deserves a like retaliation at a later date heheheheh. . .

(laugh) No need, the poor thing is married to my brother. She
should be nominated for sainthood.

nancy