Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's for Dinner 4/9/2017

I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)

To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.

A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
day in the kitchen.

So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
Save the ends for stock if you wish.

Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.

Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
scallops. Don't crowd the pan.

Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.

I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same
pan.

Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 1:04:28 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
> thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
> To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>
> A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
> a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
> Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
> enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
> day in the kitchen.
>
> So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
> Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>
> Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
> seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
> with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
> the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>
> Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
> move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
> scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>
> Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
> to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
> salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>
> I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same
> pan.
>
> Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
> lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.
>
> Jill

Boneless pork chops (or whatever you'd like to call a slice of pork loin)
marinated in ginger, garlic, soy, sesame oil, thinly sliced scallions,
and chili-garlic paste. Grilled.

Grilled asparagus. Almost certainly a salad as well.

Quite likely rice (a little butter and salt, because that's the way
he likes rice).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not
> too thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
> To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>
> A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal.
> Granted, a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still
> quite tasty. Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day
> to relax and enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book.
> Don't spend all day in the kitchen.
>
> So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
> Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>
> Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
> seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
> with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side
> of the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>
> Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil
> will move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter.
> Add sea scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>
> Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also
> cooked to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is
> a bit of salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>
> I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the
> same pan.
>
> Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
> lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.
>
> Jill

I'd leave off the lemon. They sound perfect and simple as they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 3:00 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not
>> too thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>>
>> To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>>
>> A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal.
>> Granted, a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still
>> quite tasty. Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day
>> to relax and enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book.
>> Don't spend all day in the kitchen.
>>
>> So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
>> Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>>
>> Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
>> seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
>> with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side
>> of the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>>
>> Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil
>> will move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter.
>> Add sea scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>>
>> Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also
>> cooked to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is
>> a bit of salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>>
>> I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the
>> same pan.
>>
>> Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
>> lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.
>>
>> Jill

> I'd leave off the lemon. They sound perfect and simple as they are.

I likely will since the lemon is a tad old anyway. I'm not one of
those people who insists lemon belongs on everything seafood.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-09 1:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
> thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
> To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>
> A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
> a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
> Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
> enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
> day in the kitchen.
>
> So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
> Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>
> Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
> seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
> with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
> the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>
> Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
> move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
> scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>
> Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
> to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
> salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>
> I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same pan.
>
> Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
> lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.

Nothing here. We just got home from an afternoon party that turned out
to be a sit down dinner for more than 30 people. There was a ton of
food. The host had roasted two turkeys. He also had scalloped potatoes,
salads, spanakopita, marinated tomatoes, peas. It was a very diverse
crowd so there were a lot of interesting dishes that people brought.
There was also a selection of cakes, pies, tarts and cookies. We are
both stuffed. We have steaks in the fridge but we decided to leave them
for tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:04:24 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
>thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
>To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>
>A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
>a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
> Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
>enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
>day in the kitchen.
>
>So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
>Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>
>Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
>seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
>with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
>the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>
>Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
>move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
>scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>
>Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
>to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
>salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>
>I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same
>pan.
>
>Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
>lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.

Last night's dinner was ****ghettis with saw-seege, again tonight.

Today I bought a 4 lb top round roast, on sale $4.99/LB, froze it to
become pot roast at some later date ... also bought a 4+ lb package of
skinless boneless chick tiddies. Was a discussion on what's next and
tiddies won that's why beef was frozen. I have pics but TinyPics is
down, typical on Sundays. Tomorrow I'll be playing with tiddies,
Tiddies Monday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
>thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
>To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>
>A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
>a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
> Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
>enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
>day in the kitchen.
>
>So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
>Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>
>Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
>seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
>with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
>the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>
>Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
>move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
>scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>
>Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
>to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
>salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>
>I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same
>pan.
>
>Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
>lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.
>
>Jill

Macaroni/tuna salad. Chopped tomatoes, black olives, green peppers,
green onions, peas, celery, shredded carrot, mayo, salt and pepper.
It's a dish that is better in the summertime when I have home grown
tomatoes, cucumbers and squash to add, but, I was tired of winter
dishes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 4/9/2017 3:00 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin,
> > > not too thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
> > >
> > > To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the
> > > freezer.
> > >
> > > A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal.
> > > Granted, a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and
> > > still quite tasty. Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's
> > > Sunday. The day to relax and enjoy some lovely weather. Sit
> > > outside with a book. Don't spend all day in the kitchen.
> > >
> > > So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do
> > > this. Save the ends for stock if you wish.
> > >
> > > Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive
> > > oil seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to
> > > wind up with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula
> > > to the side of the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
> > >
> > > Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil
> > > will move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of
> > > butter. Add sea scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
> > >
> > > Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also
> > > cooked to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm
> > > using is a bit of salt & pepper and add butter to that side of
> > > the pan.
> > >
> > > I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the
> > > same pan.
> > >
> > > Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of
> > > fresh lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > I'd leave off the lemon. They sound perfect and simple as they
> > are.
> >

> I likely will since the lemon is a tad old anyway. I'm not one of
> those people who insists lemon belongs on everything seafood.
>
> Jill

Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
and add from there. Tiresome really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Big slice of just - roasted pork, tossed salad, and orange sherbet...was planning on having a cherry kolachke for dessert but had that already as a snack...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 7:45 PM, The Greatest! wrote:
> Big slice of just - roasted pork, tossed salad, and orange sherbet...was planning on having a cherry kolachke for dessert but had that already as a snack...

Beef stew. Made a big pot and some gets shared with others. Grandson
gets some for a couple of meals. I take a container to a friend at work
and she gets two or three meals. I'll have lunch with her tomorrow and
she takes the rest home.

One beg pot, five or six happy people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:20:57 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:04:24 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
>>thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>>
>>To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.
>>
>>A simple but tasty dinner tonight will be a one skillet meal. Granted,
>>a large (16") skillet. But very few ingredients and still quite tasty.
>> Also fairly quick. Because hey, it's Sunday. The day to relax and
>>enjoy some lovely weather. Sit outside with a book. Don't spend all
>>day in the kitchen.
>>
>>So. Wash the asparagus and snap the stems. You know how to do this.
>>Save the ends for stock if you wish.
>>
>>Gently sautee the asparagus spears in the large skillet in olive oil
>>seasoned with S&P until just tender. (Sorry, I don't want to wind up
>>with crisp asparagus.) Move the asparagus with a spatula to the side of
>>the large skillet, but keep it warm in the skillet.
>>
>>Now to the other side of the pan. Tilt so any remaining olive oil will
>>move to that side. Heat it up a bit. Add a dollop of butter. Add sea
>>scallops. Don't crowd the pan.
>>
>>Doesn't take long to get scallops nicely, lightly seared but also cooked
>>to just opaque in the middle. The only seasoning I'm using is a bit of
>>salt & pepper and add butter to that side of the pan.
>>
>>I think this will be very nice with the asparagus. Cooked in the same
>>pan.
>>
>>Might sprinkle the asparagus and the sea scallops with a bit of fresh
>>lemon juice. I'm not sure yet.

>Last night's dinner was ****ghettis with saw-seege, again tonight.
>
>Today I bought a 4 lb top round roast, on sale $4.99/LB, froze it to
>become pot roast at some later date ... also bought a 4+ lb package of
>skinless boneless chick tiddies. Was a discussion on what's next and
>tiddies won that's why beef was frozen. I have pics but TinyPics is
>down, typical on Sundays. Tomorrow I'll be playing with tiddies,
>Tiddies Monday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:44:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I'd leave off the lemon. They sound perfect and simple as they
> > > are.
> > >

> > I likely will since the lemon is a tad old anyway. I'm not one of
> > those people who insists lemon belongs on everything seafood.
> >
> > Jill

> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
> and add from there. Tiresome really.

If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 16:45:44 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

> Big slice of just - roasted pork, tossed salad, and orange sherbet...was planning on having a cherry kolachke for dessert but had that already as a snack...

That sounds very nice! I got an idea from Hubert Keller this morning
for how to treat the leftover pork roast in my freezer. I think I'll
cut thick slices and braise them for a while. Serve with curried &
creamed lentils, sauteed apple cubes and baby zucchini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I got a bunch of nice fresh asparagus last week. Not too thin, not too
> thick, looks very nice. A good price ($1.99/lb)
>
> To go with, I am thawing some nice sea scallops I had in the freezer.

The grocery store finally had cube steaks in stock, so I braised them
in red wine etc and made a mushroom sauce. Hubby forgot to buy a
russet, so I couldn't serve it with mashed potatoes. Hubby wanted
rice and there was leftover basmati in the refrigerator, so he had
that. I roasted some baby yellows for myself along with the broccoli.

BTW: this time, I looked closely at the label - they call the
original meat "blade steak". That's chuck! No wonder they take so
long to tenderize. https://goo.gl/photos/V87Fhnw4UHb7gBY97

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 2:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:44:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I likely will since the lemon is a tad old anyway. I'm not one of
>>> those people who insists lemon belongs on everything seafood.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
>> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
>> and add from there. Tiresome really.

> If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
pan seared scallops and asparagus?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:50:51 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/10/2017 2:01 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
> >> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
> >> and add from there. Tiresome really.

> > If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.
> >

> Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
> pan seared scallops and asparagus?

I object to fried fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 3:04 PM, sf wrote:
> I object to fried fish.

I'll fry tuna or salmon but fried plain. I don't like any fish breaded
and fried. Most times, I will broil fish. It's pretty basic but leaves
the nice flavor. I do add minced onions and yes...a squeeze of lemon
juice but only before cooking. I wouldn't put lemon juice on a finished
dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:57:00 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> On 4/10/2017 3:04 PM, sf wrote:
> > I object to fried fish.

> I'll fry tuna or salmon but fried plain. I don't like any fish breaded
> and fried. Most times, I will broil fish. It's pretty basic but leaves
> the nice flavor. I do add minced onions and yes...a squeeze of lemon
> juice but only before cooking. I wouldn't put lemon juice on a finished
> dish.

Salt broiled fish is a classic Japanese dish. Liberally salt the fish and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wipe the salt off and broil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-10 2:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:44:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
>> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
>> and add from there. Tiresome really.

> If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:11:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:57:00 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> On 4/10/2017 3:04 PM, sf wrote:
>> > I object to fried fish.

>> I'll fry tuna or salmon but fried plain. I don't like any fish breaded
>> and fried. Most times, I will broil fish. It's pretty basic but leaves
>> the nice flavor. I do add minced onions and yes...a squeeze of lemon
>> juice but only before cooking. I wouldn't put lemon juice on a finished
>> dish.

>Salt broiled fish is a classic Japanese dish. Liberally salt the fish and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wipe the salt off and broil.

That's not Jap, that's kashered Jew fish. LOL-LOL
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question69761.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewfish

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 3:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:50:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.
>>>

>> Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
>> pan seared scallops and asparagus?
>>

> I object to fried fish.

Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
it's a dirty word, BTW. The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
when you mention "southern" cooking. Betcha I can get better and
fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:38:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
> it's a dirty word, BTW. The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
> when you mention "southern" cooking. Betcha I can get better and
> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.
>
> Jill
> >>>
> >> Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
> >> pan seared scallops and asparagus?
> >>

> > I object to fried fish.
> >

> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
> it's a dirty word, BTW.

Yes I do and I'll do it again.

> The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
> when you mention "southern" cooking.

As if southern cooking is so well illustrated every time you post a
Dataw menu.

> Betcha I can get better and
> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.

Is this some sort of a ****ing contest?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2017-04-10 2:01 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:44:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
> >> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
> >> and add from there. Tiresome really.

> > If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

> You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
> weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

Grilling is good, frying (which implies a bread coating) bad. Gas
BBQ? No thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-10 6:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

>> You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
>> weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

> Grilling is good, frying (which implies a bread coating) bad.

?? I don't know why it implies bread coating. I am talking pan frying,
not deep frying. Some fish benefit from dredging in flour.

> Gas BBQ? No thanks.

Really? It is heat and isn't much different from an indoor grill. It is
a flavourless heat source.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 11:22:52 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:11:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >> I'll fry tuna or salmon but fried plain. I don't like any fish breaded
> >> and fried. Most times, I will broil fish. It's pretty basic but leaves
> >> the nice flavor. I do add minced onions and yes...a squeeze of lemon
> >> juice but only before cooking. I wouldn't put lemon juice on a finished
> >> dish.

> >Salt broiled fish is a classic Japanese dish. Liberally salt the fish and let it sit for 20 minutes. Wipe the salt off and broil.

> That's not Jap, that's kashered Jew fish. LOL-LOL
> http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question69761.html
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewfish

I know jap food, you know nothing about jap food. Jew food maybe, jap food - nada.

http://ot-foodspotting-production.s3.../thumb_600.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 6:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:38:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
>> it's a dirty word, BTW. The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
>> when you mention "southern" cooking. Betcha I can get better and
>> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.
>>
>> Jill

>>> I object to fried fish.
>>>

>> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
>> it's a dirty word, BTW.

> Yes I do and I'll do it again.
>
>> The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
>> when you mention "southern" cooking.

> As if southern cooking is so well illustrated every time you post a
> Dataw menu.

This was not a Dataw menu. I don't pretend any of those menus are
"southern". BTW I bought and cooked the sea scallops and asparagus
myself. Had nothing to do with the Club.

>> Betcha I can get better and
>> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.

> Is this some sort of a ****ing contest?

You turned it into one. SF vs. the Southern States. Who gives a rip?
If it tastes good it's fine. And no, I did NOT mention fried fish. I
simply said I decided not to spritz the scallops or asparagus with
lemon. Pan seared both of them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 6:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-10 6:11 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:14 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
>>> weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

>> Grilling is good, frying (which implies a bread coating) bad.

> ?? I don't know why it implies bread coating. I am talking pan frying,
> not deep frying. Some fish benefit from dredging in flour.
>

>> Gas BBQ? No thanks.

> Really? It is heat and isn't much different from an indoor grill. It is
> a flavourless heat source.

It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded. Never
did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with lemon,
but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh dear.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 2:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 18:44:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I likely will since the lemon is a tad old anyway. I'm not one of
>>> those people who insists lemon belongs on everything seafood.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Neither am I, in fact, I find it over used by FAR in USA cooking of
>> seafoods. It's almost like some 'see seafood' and go 'grab a lemon'
>> and add from there. Tiresome really.

> If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.

There was (maybe still is in some places) good reason to use lemon. It
was to cover up the off taste of seafood ready to go bad. Fast
transportation, better packaging, and good refrigeration changed the
quality of what is available. I like it at times but not all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2017 7:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
> and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded. Never
> did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with lemon,
> but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh dear.
>
> Jill

I do scallops like that all the time. A good pan sear in butter. Then
I add more butter and orange juice concentrate to make a sauce for them.

Never thought of breading scallops or wrapping them in bacon that
overpowers the delicate flavor of the muscle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tacos tomorrow and wed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-10 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/10/2017 7:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
>> and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded.
>> Never did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with
>> lemon, but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh
>> dear.
>>
>> Jill

> I do scallops like that all the time. A good pan sear in butter. Then
> I add more butter and orange juice concentrate to make a sauce for them.

Do they need butter? I usually add put a little oil in a cast iron pan
and slap the scallops down when it's nice and hot.

> Never thought of breading scallops or wrapping them in bacon that
> overpowers the delicate flavor of the muscle.

Years ago when shrimp and scallops were always breaded and frozen I
liked them deep fried. Now it is my least favourite way to eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-10 7:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There was (maybe still is in some places) good reason to use lemon. It
> was to cover up the off taste of seafood ready to go bad. Fast
> transportation, better packaging, and good refrigeration changed the
> quality of what is available. I like it at times but not all the time.

I always figured it was to counteract the fat in deep frying or pan frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> There was (maybe still is in some places) good reason to use lemon. It
>> was to cover up the off taste of seafood ready to go bad. Fast
>> transportation, better packaging, and good refrigeration changed the
>> quality of what is available. I like it at times but not all the time.

>I always figured it was to counteract the fat in deep frying or pan frying.\

I always have fresh lemons as a staple, very good on fresh seafood but
also good on cooked veggie dishes, and especially on salads... I much
prefer fresh lemon juice to vinegar in salad dressing. I have a
friend who visits a couple times a year and brings me a bushel of
fresh LI clams, I can easily devour four-five dozen cherry stones on
the half shell with fresh lemon. Joe S. is expert at opening clams
and I can eat tham as fast as he shucks them... I supply the booze and
dinner... we have a great time besides stuffing our faces.
The only thing I miss from Lung Guyland is fresh seafood. Joe S's
wife misses my wickedly good bouillabaisse but they bring me the
ingredients, takes me very little time to cook up a bigly potful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:37:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/10/2017 7:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
>> and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded. Never
>> did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with lemon,
>> but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh dear.
>>
>> Jill

>I do scallops like that all the time. A good pan sear in butter. Then
>I add more butter and orange juice concentrate to make a sauce for them.
>
>Never thought of breading scallops or wrapping them in bacon that
>overpowers the delicate flavor of the muscle.

the trick to getting that nice sear is making sure the scallops are
dry when they go into the pan. I pan sear also, no breading involved.
Does anyone actually bread scallops?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 4/10/2017 6:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:38:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
>> it's a dirty word, BTW. The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
>> when you mention "southern" cooking. Betcha I can get better and
>> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.
>>
>> Jill

>>> I object to fried fish.
>>>

>> Okey doke... but I wasn't talking about fried fish. You say it like
>> it's a dirty word, BTW.

> Yes I do and I'll do it again.
>
>> The same way you tend to sound smugly superior
>> when you mention "southern" cooking.

> As if southern cooking is so well illustrated every time you post a
> Dataw menu.

This was not a Dataw menu. I don't pretend any of those menus are
"southern". BTW I bought and cooked the sea scallops and asparagus
myself. Had nothing to do with the Club.

>> Betcha I can get better and
>> fresher sea scallops here in SC than you can on the left coast.

> Is this some sort of a ****ing contest?

You turned it into one. SF vs. the Southern States. Who gives a rip?
If it tastes good it's fine. And no, I did NOT mention fried fish. I
simply said I decided not to spritz the scallops or asparagus with
lemon. Pan seared both of them.

Jill
===

She isn't worth it. She is 'smugly superior' every time she posts. Ugh

'O the asshole because she uses her scale.'

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 4/10/2017 6:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-10 6:11 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:14 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
>>> weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

>> Grilling is good, frying (which implies a bread coating) bad.

> ?? I don't know why it implies bread coating. I am talking pan frying,
> not deep frying. Some fish benefit from dredging in flour.
>

>> Gas BBQ? No thanks.

> Really? It is heat and isn't much different from an indoor grill. It is
> a flavourless heat source.

It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded. Never
did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with lemon,
but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh dear.

Jill
===

This place gets worse. No, you didn't mention breading!! Some people here
are so self righteous and bad tempered!

And if you had said the nasty work 'breading'! So F'ing what????? Is
this a cooking group????

My filter grows longer. Pity others have to respond, eh? )

Zer ISS no ESSCAPE!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 3:05:05 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:50:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> > > If I fried fish (blech), I'd need to use lemon juice.
> > >

> > Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
> > pan seared scallops and asparagus?
> >

> I object to fried fish.

Mmmm. Fish and chips. I leave the frying to the professionals.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 6:15:29 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-10 6:11 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:21:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> You don't like fried fish? I pan fry a lot of fish. Now that the warm
> >> weather is here I will be grilling it on the gas BBQ.

> > Grilling is good, frying (which implies a bread coating) bad.

> ?? I don't know why it implies bread coating. I am talking pan frying,
> not deep frying. Some fish benefit from dredging in flour.
>

> > Gas BBQ? No thanks.

> Really? It is heat and isn't much different from an indoor grill. It is
> a flavourless heat source.

It's much better than charcoal briquettes. Paraffin. Yum.

That said, the gas grill is my daily driver, and I get out the
half-drum grill that my husband made when I want to use lump
hardwood. (We use briquettes when cooking a whole pig, because
of cost and because we feel they provide more even heat.)

There's a school of thought that says there's not all that much
difference between gas and charcoal, especially if you use flavored
rubs, marinades, or glazes:

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/charcoal-vs-gas-the-defin_b_203818.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 03:09:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 3:05:05 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:50:51 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> > Since I wasn't talking about fried fish, no worries. Do you object to
>> > pan seared scallops and asparagus?
>> >

>> I object to fried fish.

>Mmmm. Fish and chips. I leave the frying to the professionals.

Don't you pan-fry fish? Personally, I object to steamed fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 2017-04-10 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 4/10/2017 7:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >

> >> It doesn't imply or infer anything. I mentioned pan searing scallops
> >> and asparagus and suddenly everyone concludes it must be breaded.
> >> Never did I say the word breaded. All I said was I might splash with
> >> lemon, but probably not. Cooked in a skillet, not on the grill. Oh
> >> dear.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I do scallops like that all the time. A good pan sear in butter. Then
> > I add more butter and orange juice concentrate to make a sauce for them.

> Do they need butter? I usually add put a little oil in a cast iron pan
> and slap the scallops down when it's nice and hot.

They're better with butter IMO. I cook them (very briefly) in
sizzling butter in a hot cast iron pan.

Fresh plaice and sole are also great simply pan fried in butter (no
flour, no crumb; serve with their buttery juices and a quartered lemon
to squeeze over. My mother used to cook them like that and serve with a
thin, buttered slice of brown bread on the side. Heaven. The other way I
cook plaice or sole is with butter, s_p and a slice of lemon, wrapped in
a parcel of buttered greaseproof paper and baked in the oven.

Whitebait; toss in seasoned flour to coat then panfry in butter to
crispy. The flour enhances the crunch of their little bodies, mmmmmmmmm.

Janet UK