Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lab-Grown Meat May Save a Lot More than Farm Animals’ Lives

http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
or
http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg

hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:54:21 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:42:20 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>>
>> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.

>Uh-oh. Here's comes dsi1.

Lol, the local futurologist. Let's wait and see what he's guessing
this time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>
>hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.

This is a very good development. It means advances in animal welfare
and many other areas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2017 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>
> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>
> Janet US

" San Francisco-based startup Memphis Meats." Uh, what? There's an
oxymoron.

Sorry, but the stuff on Star Trek (the original TV series) from the food
replicators looked like chopped up chunks of melons. I didn't see
anything even pretending to be meat. Cantaloupe, honeydew, things like
that. All cubed, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>
> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>
> Janet US

Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:19:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/6/2017 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>

>> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>>
>> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>" San Francisco-based startup Memphis Meats." Uh, what? There's an
>oxymoron.
>
>Sorry, but the stuff on Star Trek (the original TV series) from the food
>replicators looked like chopped up chunks of melons. I didn't see
>anything even pretending to be meat. Cantaloupe, honeydew, things like
>that. All cubed, of course.
>
>Jill

The replicators on Star Trek Voyager are far more sophisticated.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:21:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>>
>> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>>
>> Janet US

>Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

The algae stuff is only interim.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>>
>> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>>
>> Janet US

> Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

whatever

in 100 billion years give or take, everthing will be at the same energy level

there will be perfect peace in the universe

and no one will be around to mess it up

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 3:21:48 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:21:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
> >> or
> >> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
> >>
> >> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
> >>
> >> Janet US

> >Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

> The algae stuff is only interim.
> Janet US

It seems like a cheap, fast, way to get some elemental protein material. From that you can make all kinds of foods. Red cubes, green cubes, yellow cubes etc, etc. The possibilities are endless. Why the heck would you want to make food out of any other material?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 5:50:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
> >> or
> >> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
> >>
> >> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
> >>
> >> Janet US

> > Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

> whatever
>
> in 100 billion years give or take, everthing will be at the same energy level
>
> there will be perfect peace in the universe
>
> and no one will be around to mess it up

I don't believe that. I think that the universe will collapse and be reborn in another big bang. In the natural order of things, this happens as regularly and as rapidly as the beating of a hummingbird's wing. My guess is that this has already happened countless times already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 12:32:31 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 3:21:48 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:21:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

> > The algae stuff is only interim.
> > Janet US

> It seems like a cheap, fast, way to get some elemental protein material. From that you can make all kinds of foods. Red cubes, green cubes, yellow cubes etc, etc. The possibilities are endless. Why the heck would you want to make food out of any other material?

You could make it out of people.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2017 9:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:54:21 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> In the meantime, fast free beef doesn't appeal to me.

> that was supposed to be FAT-free beef. These meat machines don't know
> how to grow fat.

It's the easiest thing to grow after dandelions! Stupid meat machines.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:48:22 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 4/6/2017 9:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:54:21 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> In the meantime, fast free beef doesn't appeal to me.

>> that was supposed to be FAT-free beef. These meat machines don't know
>> how to grow fat.

> It's the easiest thing to grow after dandelions! Stupid meat machines.

An oldie but a goodie. I remember reading this in Omni magazine when
it first hit the news stands. It had already been circulating on
Compuserve for 4 years before it appeared in print.

http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

--------

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts
of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all
the way through. They're completely meat."

"That's impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the
stars?"

"They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from
them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made
the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to
believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only
sentient race in that sector and they're made out of meat."

"Maybe they're like the orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence
that goes through a meat stage."

"Nope. They're born meat and they die meat. We studied them for
several of their life spans, which didn't take long. Do you have any
idea what's the life span of meat?"

"Spare me. Okay, maybe they're only part meat. You know, like the
weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside."

"Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads, like the
weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They're meat all the way
through."

"No brain?"

"Oh, there's a brain all right. It's just that the brain is made out
of meat! That's what I've been trying to tell you."

"So ... what does the thinking?"

"You're not understanding, are you? You're refusing to deal with what
I'm telling you. The brain does the thinking. The meat."

"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"

"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The
meat is the whole deal! Are you beginning to get the picture or do I
have to start all over?"

"Omigod. You're serious then. They're made out of meat."

"Thank you. Finally. Yes. They are indeed made out of meat. And
they've been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of
their years."

"Omigod. So what does this meat have in mind?"

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the
Universe, contact other sentiences, swap ideas and information. The
usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat."

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio.
'Hello. Anyone out there. Anybody home.' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"
"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know
how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by
flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air
through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you
advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome and log in any and
all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe,
without prejudice, fear or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase
the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make
contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say? 'Hello, meat. How's
it going?' But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with
here?"

"Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat
containers, but they can't live on them. And being meat, they can only
travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and
makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim.
Infinitesimal, in fact."

"So we just pretend there's no one home in the Universe."

"That's it."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones
who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you probed? You're sure
they won't remember?"

"They'll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads
and smoothed out their meat so that we're just a dream to them."

"A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat's
dream."

"And we marked the entire sector unoccupied."

"Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others?
Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?"

"Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen core cluster intelligence in a
class nine star in G445 zone. Was in contact two galactic rotations
ago, wants to be friendly again."

"They always come around."

"And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the
Universe would be if one were all alone ..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 5:50:04 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

>> whatever
>>
>> in 100 billion years give or take, everthing will be at the same energy level
>>
>> there will be perfect peace in the universe
>>
>> and no one will be around to mess it up

> I don't believe that. I think that the universe will collapse and be reborn in another big bang. In the natural order of things, this happens as regularly and as rapidly as the beating of a hummingbird's wing. My guess is that this has already happened countless times already.

okay well either way the newsgroup archive will be lost

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/7/2017 1:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 10:48:22 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> that was supposed to be FAT-free beef. These meat machines don't know
>>> how to grow fat.

>> It's the easiest thing to grow after dandelions! Stupid meat machines.

> An oldie but a goodie. I remember reading this in Omni magazine when
> it first hit the news stands. It had already been circulating on
> Compuserve for 4 years before it appeared in print.
>
> http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html

Ha, thanks for the laugh. Meat? Really?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2017 8:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:19:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but the stuff on Star Trek (the original TV series) from the food
>> replicators looked like chopped up chunks of melons. I didn't see
>> anything even pretending to be meat. Cantaloupe, honeydew, things like
>> that. All cubed, of course.

> This must be the only episode you've seen:
>
> http://www.treksinscifi.com/trekdail...3-17_Riley.jpg
>
> -sw

LOL nope, but most of the food did look like that. I do recall an
episode where some kids they rescued got ice cream, though...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2017 9:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:21:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:42:28 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovati...-lives-n743091
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/lme6kcg
>>>
>>> hmmmm. So that's what they use in the Star Trek replicators.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

> The algae stuff is only interim.
> Janet US

I was bored one day last week and as usual there was nothing on
television, which is usually just background noise for me most of the
time. I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of
'Shark Tank'. I'd never seen it before and now know it has nothing to
do with actual sharks. LOL Some woman was trying to get backing for
dietary supplements made from algae. Her claims about the health
benefits of algae were dubious, at best. She couldn't back them up with
any sort of research. The "Sharks" all declined when it came to
investing in this algae product. FWIW.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 09:44:51 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/6/2017 9:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:21:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> Things are going as we have planned. I don't believe the future lies with growing animal tissue but rather printing meat-like substances from plant protein, i.e., algae. There could be a market for animal tissue grown in factories and sold as "real meat." In the future most people will be vegetarians.

>> The algae stuff is only interim.
>> Janet US
>>

>I was bored one day last week and as usual there was nothing on
>television, which is usually just background noise for me most of the
>time. I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of
>'Shark Tank'. I'd never seen it before and now know it has nothing to
>do with actual sharks. LOL Some woman was trying to get backing for
>dietary supplements made from algae. Her claims about the health
>benefits of algae were dubious, at best. She couldn't back them up with
>any sort of research. The "Sharks" all declined when it came to
>investing in this algae product. FWIW.
>
>Jill

I'm not surprised that they would turn down an individual claiming a
health product. Research and experimentation with algae has(is) going
on with labs and facilities expending gazillions of dollars looking
for an economical way to produce a nutritious food product. Some gal
waltzing in looking for a million dollars or less would be highly
suspect.
That's not to say that some of the folks on the shark panel don't seem
to be a little bit of flim/flam artists themselves. Case in point,
that woman on the panel that makes her living as an 'inventor' is
currently hawking an exercise device on TV. You stand on it and twist
your hips -- have you seen it? I'm old enough to remember when The
Twist dance was popular. Does anyone remember the physical injuries
that were reported on the knees and hips resulting from that action?
Note: I do not/have not watched Shark Tank, but have seen her when I
have been surfing channels. Just another realty show. I'd rather
watch Oak Island -- at least it is amusing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 10:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 09:44:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>>> The algae stuff is only interim.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I was bored one day last week and as usual there was nothing on
>> television, which is usually just background noise for me most of the
>> time. I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of
>> 'Shark Tank'. I'd never seen it before and now know it has nothing to
>> do with actual sharks. LOL Some woman was trying to get backing for
>> dietary supplements made from algae. Her claims about the health
>> benefits of algae were dubious, at best. She couldn't back them up with
>> any sort of research. The "Sharks" all declined when it came to
>> investing in this algae product. FWIW.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm not surprised that they would turn down an individual claiming a
> health product. Research and experimentation with algae has(is) going
> on with labs and facilities expending gazillions of dollars looking
> for an economical way to produce a nutritious food product. Some gal
> waltzing in looking for a million dollars or less would be highly
> suspect.

She claimed weight loss benefits, anti-cancer. She said got interested
after her sister was diagnosed with cancer and algae helped. Helped
with what? No mention if her sister kicked cancer or used any
traditional therapies alongside this algae stuff.

I remember claims about laetrile. Steve McQueen thought something made
from peach pits would miraculously cure his cancer.

She couldn't back up any of her claims. She also projected revenue that
didn't make sense. Said she'd gone into bankruptcy and was at one point
practically homeless but would do *anything* to produce this product for
the masses.

> That's not to say that some of the folks on the shark panel don't seem
> to be a little bit of flim/flam artists themselves. Case in point,
> that woman on the panel that makes her living as an 'inventor' is
> currently hawking an exercise device on TV. You stand on it and twist
> your hips -- have you seen it?

I think I have seen that product advertised! I wouldn't buy it.
Honestly, I don't know who any of these "sharks" on the panel are.

> I'm old enough to remember when The
> Twist dance was popular. Does anyone remember the physical injuries
> that were reported on the knees and hips resulting from that action?

I don't recall knee and hip injuries but sure, I am [just] old enough to
remember The Twist. Not that I was doing any dancing in 1960...
that's the year I was born and I couldn't even walk yet. LOL

> Note: I do not/have not watched Shark Tank, but have seen her when I
> have been surfing channels. Just another realty show. I'd rather
> watch Oak Island -- at least it is amusing.
> Janet US

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2017 10:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/9/2017 10:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I'm old enough to remember when The
>> Twist dance was popular. Does anyone remember the physical injuries
>> that were reported on the knees and hips resulting from that action?

> I don't recall knee and hip injuries but sure, I am [just] old enough to
> remember The Twist. Not that I was doing any dancing in 1960...
> that's the year I was born and I couldn't even walk yet. LOL

BTW, 'The Twist' was first performed by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
(aka The Royals) in 1959. Chubby Checker performed it exactly the same
way. So sorry I was late to the sock hop.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 08:01:05 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 09:44:51 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 4/6/2017 9:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> The algae stuff is only interim.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>I was bored one day last week and as usual there was nothing on
>>television, which is usually just background noise for me most of the
>>time. I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of
>>'Shark Tank'. I'd never seen it before and now know it has nothing to
>>do with actual sharks. LOL Some woman was trying to get backing for
>>dietary supplements made from algae. Her claims about the health
>>benefits of algae were dubious, at best. She couldn't back them up with
>>any sort of research. The "Sharks" all declined when it came to
>>investing in this algae product. FWIW.
>>
>>Jill

>I'm not surprised that they would turn down an individual claiming a
>health product. Research and experimentation with algae has(is) going
>on with labs and facilities expending gazillions of dollars looking
>for an economical way to produce a nutritious food product. Some gal
>waltzing in looking for a million dollars or less would be highly
>suspect.
>That's not to say that some of the folks on the shark panel don't seem
>to be a little bit of flim/flam artists themselves. Case in point,
>that woman on the panel that makes her living as an 'inventor' is
>currently hawking an exercise device on TV. You stand on it and twist
>your hips -- have you seen it? I'm old enough to remember when The
>Twist dance was popular. Does anyone remember the physical injuries
>that were reported on the knees and hips resulting from that action?
>Note: I do not/have not watched Shark Tank, but have seen her when I
>have been surfing channels. Just another realty show. I'd rather
>watch Oak Island -- at least it is amusing.
>Janet US

If she wants algae she could invest in Madagascar sloths, their fur is
sort of notched and in the forest algae grows and the sloths are green
(NatGeo).
The one exercise device I remember well was from the 1960s, Mark
Eden's Bust Developer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Eden_bust_developer
Millions of women bought this pink contraption:
http://www.tackytreasures.com/images/edenhands-3766.jpg

I think better than 99% of As Seen On TV items are garbage, especially
the cooking gizmos. I've never bought any of those carnival hawked
items.