FoodBanter.com

-   -   Use by date (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/440688-use-date.html)

Alex[_17_] 25-02-2017 02:49 AM

Use by date

From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

"Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."

"Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
the package or disposed of after that date.

The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.

The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."

This is a great initiative.

Ed Pawlowski 25-02-2017 04:04 AM

Use by date

On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>
> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>

> This is a great initiative.

This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

F Murtz 25-02-2017 03:53 PM

Use by date

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:04:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
>>> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

>>> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
>>> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
>>> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
>>> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>>>
>>> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
>>> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
>>> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>>>

>>> This is a great initiative.
>>>

>> This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
>> dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

> Soda I. But I do it an hour later because of the time zone thing.
>
> -sw

I just found some butter in an other fridge that had a late 2015 date on
it, it was perfectly alright in the centre after I took 1/8" off all
round ( I then used the outside bit in a cake)

notbob 25-02-2017 04:06 PM

Use by date

On 2017-02-25, Alex > wrote:

> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
>
> "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."

Any bogus issue to avoid actually labelling food with the real
ingredients, including GMO foods. Apparently, it's OK to change the
labels 2-3 times a yr, like telling ppl pointless nonsense like how
this food is "new" and "improved" or when to toss this container and
buy another one. BUT, when having to show what's actually included,
well, that's gonna drive food prices through the roof and we will all
starve to death! Krikies!!

> This is a great initiative.

If yer a complete moron. ;)

nb

jmcquown[_2_] 25-02-2017 05:55 PM

Use by date

On 2/24/2017 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
>> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

>> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
>> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
>> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
>> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>>
>> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
>> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
>> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>>

>> This is a great initiative.
>>

> This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
> dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

Damn! I have some cream that expired two days ago. I missed the deadline!

People get so het up about these dates. Most of us know they're really
just a best guess. If you need a date stamp to tell you when food has
gone bad you really shouldn't be shopping for, or preparing, food.

There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
throwing out of perfectly good food.

Jill

dsi1[_17_] 25-02-2017 09:06 PM

Use by date

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
>
> "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
>
> "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
> performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
> or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
> safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
> the package or disposed of after that date.
>
> The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
> were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
> label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>
> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>

> This is a great initiative.

I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful survival strategy. I once had some steak that was way past fresh in the back of my refrigerator. It was all brown and dried up. It was a nice looking steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of meat.

They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past their freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)

Ophelia[_14_] 25-02-2017 09:09 PM

Use by date

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
>
> "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
>
> "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
> performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
> or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
> safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
> the package or disposed of after that date.
>
> The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
> were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
> label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>
> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>

> This is a great initiative.

I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And
anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful
survival strategy. I once had some steak that was way past fresh in the back
of my refrigerator. It was all brown and dried up. It was a nice looking
steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I
ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of meat.

They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past their
freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)

====

LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good to
eat:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Roy[_4_] 25-02-2017 09:25 PM

Use by date

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/24/2017 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
> >> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

> >> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> >> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> >> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> >> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> >>
> >> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> >> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> >> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> >>

> >> This is a great initiative.
> >>

> > This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
> > dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

> Damn! I have some cream that expired two days ago. I missed the deadline!
>
> People get so het up about these dates. Most of us know they're really
> just a best guess. If you need a date stamp to tell you when food has
> gone bad you really shouldn't be shopping for, or preparing, food.
>
> There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
> like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
> consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
> throwing out of perfectly good food.
>
> Jill

I'm sure that "former poster" would find some way to get around the new rules
so that she/he could toss food because she/he loved to shop for more food.
I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate malls
with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but the
kids were always gung ho.
=====

Bruce[_28_] 25-02-2017 09:29 PM

Use by date

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:06:11 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
>> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
>>
>> "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
>> voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
>> 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
>> Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
>> to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
>>
>> "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
>> performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
>> or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
>> safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
>> the package or disposed of after that date.
>>
>> The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
>> were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
>> label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
>> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
>> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
>> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
>>
>> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
>> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
>> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
>>

>> This is a great initiative.

>I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful survival strategy.

During a famine or a locust plague, you'd only be too happy with that
over the date food in the back of your pantry, right?

[email protected] 25-02-2017 09:44 PM

Use by date

i can usually tell by Smell if something is ok to injest
[if questionable, just toss it]

i've used Canned goods many years after expiration dates

marc

brooklyn1 25-02-2017 10:18 PM

Use by date

21blackswan wrote:

>i can usually tell by Smell if something is ok to injest.

There are many perfectly disease free foods that naturally smell awful
to the uninitiated, like cheeses, smoked fish, and certain tropical
fruits. Food contamination is like carbon monoxide, there is no odor.

Bruce[_28_] 25-02-2017 10:19 PM

Use by date

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:18:43 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>21blackswan wrote:
>>
>>i can usually tell by Smell if something is ok to injest.

>There are many perfectly disease free foods that naturally smell awful
>to the uninitiated, like cheeses, smoked fish, and certain tropical
>fruits. Food contamination is like carbon monoxide, there is no odor.

What if an egg is contaminated with rot?

brooklyn1 25-02-2017 10:25 PM

Use by date

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:19:51 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:18:43 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>21blackswan wrote:
>>>
>>>i can usually tell by Smell if something is ok to injest.

>>There are many perfectly disease free foods that naturally smell awful
>>to the uninitiated, like cheeses, smoked fish, and certain tropical
>>fruits. Food contamination is like carbon monoxide, there is no odor.

>What if an egg is contaminated with rot?

It'll smell terribly, like you, but won't cause disease

Bruce[_28_] 25-02-2017 10:33 PM

Use by date

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:25:19 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:19:51 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:18:43 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>There are many perfectly disease free foods that naturally smell awful
>>>to the uninitiated, like cheeses, smoked fish, and certain tropical
>>>fruits. Food contamination is like carbon monoxide, there is no odor.

>>What if an egg is contaminated with rot?

>It'll smell terribly, like you, but won't cause disease

How do you know?

dsi1[_17_] 25-02-2017 10:37 PM

Use by date

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:20 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> > From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
> >
> > "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> > voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> > 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> > Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> > to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
> >
> > "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
> > performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
> > or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
> > safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
> > the package or disposed of after that date.
> >
> > The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
> > were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
> > label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> > practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> > mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> > that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> >
> > The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> > addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> > extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> >

> > This is a great initiative.

> I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And
> anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful
> survival strategy. I once had some steak that was way past fresh in the back
> of my refrigerator. It was all brown and dried up. It was a nice looking
> steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I
> ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of meat.
>
> They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past their
> freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)
>
> ====
>
> LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good to
> eat:)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Mostly it's a marketing scheme. A brilliant one at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

Ophelia[_14_] 25-02-2017 10:43 PM

Use by date

"Roy" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/24/2017 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 2/24/2017 8:49 PM, Alex wrote:
> >> From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:

> >> The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> >> practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> >> mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> >> that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> >>
> >> The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> >> addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> >> extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> >>

> >> This is a great initiative.
> >>

> > This is great. I get up every day at midnight and check to expiration
> > dates so I can toss the expired stuff.

> Damn! I have some cream that expired two days ago. I missed the
> deadline!
>
> People get so het up about these dates. Most of us know they're really
> just a best guess. If you need a date stamp to tell you when food has
> gone bad you really shouldn't be shopping for, or preparing, food.
>
> There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
> like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
> consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
> throwing out of perfectly good food.
>
> Jill

I'm sure that "former poster" would find some way to get around the new
rules
so that she/he could toss food because she/he loved to shop for more food.
I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate malls
with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but the
kids were always gung ho.
=====

Hmmm I don't like shopping either and only go when I have to:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia[_14_] 25-02-2017 11:57 PM

Use by date

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:20 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> > From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
> >
> > "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> > voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> > 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> > Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> > to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
> >
> > "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
> > performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
> > or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
> > safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
> > the package or disposed of after that date.
> >
> > The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
> > were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
> > label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> > practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> > mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> > that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> >
> > The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> > addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> > extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> >

> > This is a great initiative.

> I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And
> anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful
> survival strategy. I once had some steak that was way past fresh in the
> back
> of my refrigerator. It was all brown and dried up. It was a nice looking
> steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I
> ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of
> meat.
>
> They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past
> their
> freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)
>
> ====
>
> LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> eat:)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Mostly it's a marketing scheme. A brilliant one at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs

====

Bonkers:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

dsi1[_17_] 26-02-2017 01:41 AM

Use by date

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 12:58:17 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:20 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 3:50:00 PM UTC-10, Alex wrote:
> > > From Wells Fargo Daily Advantage:
> > >
> > > "Just about a week ago, two food industry trade groups announced
> > > voluntary, standardized practices intended to clear up confusion about
> > > 10 separate label phrases such as Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best
> > > Before, Better if Used By, or Best By. Manufacturers are now encouraged
> > > to use only two: "Best if Used By" and "Use By."
> > >
> > > "Best If Used By" describes product quality: The product taste or
> > > performance may suffer after the indicated date but is safe to consume
> > > or use. "Use By" applies to highly perishable products and/or food
> > > safety concerns. These products should be consumed by the date listed on
> > > the package or disposed of after that date.
> > >
> > > The promulgation of new labelling practices acknowledges that the rules
> > > were left to manufacturers in the past, which may be at the root of
> > > label proliferation. The new rules also appear to acknowledge that past
> > > practices caused consumer confusion. A survey found 91% of consumers
> > > mistakenly tossed food if the "Best if used by" label had passed, when
> > > that only signals the manufacturer's guess at its peak quality.
> > >
> > > The standards are voluntary, so there's no guarantee of adoption. In
> > > addition, the roll-out offers great leeway for implementation that
> > > extends to July 2018 for those manufacturers that adopt the standards."
> > >

> > > This is a great initiative.

> > I don't need no stinkin' "best by" dating. I got my own thresholds. And
> > anyway, having the ability to eat foods that aren't fresh is a useful
> > survival strategy. I once had some steak that was way past fresh in the
> > back
> > of my refrigerator. It was all brown and dried up. It was a nice looking
> > steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I
> > ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of
> > meat.
> >
> > They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past
> > their
> > freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)
> >
> > ====
> >
> > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> > eat:)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Mostly it's a marketing scheme. A brilliant one at that.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs
>
> ====
>
> Bonkers:))
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

"Bonkers" used to be one of my favorite words. :)

Cheri[_3_] 26-02-2017 02:10 AM

Use by date

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> to eat:)

Yes, me too.

Cheri

Ophelia[_14_] 26-02-2017 11:17 AM

Use by date

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > steak when fried and was the tenderest, tastiest, most memorable steak I
> > ever had. It did taste a little funky but I dream about that piece of
> > meat.
> >
> > They should put a "best by" label on people. Some of them are way past
> > their
> > freshness date in their approach to life and other people. :)
> >
> > ====
> >
> > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> > eat:)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Mostly it's a marketing scheme. A brilliant one at that.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXtjH3EmLs
>
> ====
>
> Bonkers:))
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

"Bonkers" used to be one of my favorite words. :)

Then it must be resurrected forthwith!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia[_14_] 26-02-2017 11:19 AM

Use by date

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> to eat:)

Yes, me too.

Cheri

====

What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad. Would
they still eat it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Gary 26-02-2017 01:09 PM

Use by date

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
> > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> > to eat:)

> Yes, me too.
>
> Cheri
>
> ====
>
> What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad. Would
> they still eat it?

I don't. I'll trust a date but I also trust my nose.
I've bought ground beef from the sale section
(some people here call it the used meat bin).

Normally, the date on it is the day you buy it.
Generally, if you cook it or freeze it that same day,
it's fine.
I waited just one day once and that meat smelled bad.
I tossed it. I'd rather lose a few dollars than get
food poisoning. Had it once and I won't take chances
ever again.

Even if you go ahead and eat something questionable
like that, you don't really enjoy it. I've done that
and it's not a great meal just wondering if I'll wake
up in the middle of the night sick as hell.

jmcquown[_2_] 26-02-2017 03:00 PM

Use by date

On 2/25/2017 4:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Roy" wrote in message
>
> I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate malls
> with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but the
> kids were always gung ho.
> =====
>
> Hmmm I don't like shopping either and only go when I have to:)

I don't like shopping either. I mostly buy clothes online. I don't buy
food online but this is why I have a separate freezer, so I don't have
to run to the store all the time. For fresh fruit and veggies there are
a couple of farm stands nearby. The grocery stores are much farther
away so I do a stock-up trip about once a month.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 26-02-2017 03:05 PM

Use by date

On 2/25/2017 3:25 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
>> like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
>> consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
>> throwing out of perfectly good food.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm sure that "former poster" would find some way to get around the new rules
> so that she/he could toss food because she/he loved to shop for more food.
> I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate malls
> with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but the
> kids were always gung ho.
> =====

I haven't been to a shopping mall since I was in my 20's. As a teen, it
was a place to hang out with friends. There was a movie theatre and of
course, being teenage girls, we loved looking at all the clothes.
Rarely had money to buy anything, but looking was free. :) You couldn't
drag me to a mall these days.

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 26-02-2017 03:21 PM

Malls was Use by date

On 2017-02-26 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I haven't been to a shopping mall since I was in my 20's. As a teen, it
> was a place to hang out with friends. There was a movie theatre and of
> course, being teenage girls, we loved looking at all the clothes. Rarely
> had money to buy anything, but looking was free. :) You couldn't drag
> me to a mall these days.

Malls seem to be losing their appeal around here. The large enclosed
collections of the same old stores don't seem to be attracting customers
the way they used to. Most new commercial developments these days tend
to be box store farms and stand alone collections. For instance, a
nearby city had a decent sized mall that at one time contained a Sears,
Walmart, a grocery store and about 60 smaller stores, and there was a
Canadian Tire across the street. Walmart and Canadian Tire moved around
the corner and about a mile down, and there is big Rona at one end.
Target moved into the unit that had been Walmart and then Kmart, but it
floundered. I usually only go there for banking and half the people in
there seem to be mall walkers.

Ophelia[_14_] 26-02-2017 03:34 PM

Use by date

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
> > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> > to eat:)

> Yes, me too.
>
> Cheri
>
> ====
>
> What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad.
> Would
> they still eat it?

I don't. I'll trust a date but I also trust my nose.
I've bought ground beef from the sale section
(some people here call it the used meat bin).

Normally, the date on it is the day you buy it.
Generally, if you cook it or freeze it that same day,
it's fine.
I waited just one day once and that meat smelled bad.
I tossed it. I'd rather lose a few dollars than get
food poisoning. Had it once and I won't take chances
ever again.

Even if you go ahead and eat something questionable
like that, you don't really enjoy it. I've done that
and it's not a great meal just wondering if I'll wake
up in the middle of the night sick as hell.

====

Exactly! I am sure most people would do the same. So, the 'date' isn't
*ALL THAT* eh?:))

(did you like that. I am hoping I got the 'all that' right??)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia[_14_] 26-02-2017 03:38 PM

Use by date

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2017 4:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Roy" wrote in message
>
> I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate
> malls
> with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but
> the
> kids were always gung ho.
> =====
>
> Hmmm I don't like shopping either and only go when I have to:)

I don't like shopping either. I mostly buy clothes online. I don't buy
food online but this is why I have a separate freezer, so I don't have
to run to the store all the time. For fresh fruit and veggies there are
a couple of farm stands nearby. The grocery stores are much farther
away so I do a stock-up trip about once a month.

Jill

======

Pretty much the same as me:)) I don't buy food online either because I want
to choose what *I* think is the best, not someone else's idea of what is
best:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia[_14_] 26-02-2017 03:39 PM

Use by date

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2017 3:25 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> There was a former poster here who used to throw away [what sounded
>> like] a lot of food based on those random dates. She's the type of
>> consumer this rule change is geared towards, to prevent the unnecessary
>> throwing out of perfectly good food.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm sure that "former poster" would find some way to get around the new
> rules
> so that she/he could toss food because she/he loved to shop for more food.
> I know people who just love shopping at the malls...personally I hate
> malls
> with a passion. My wife had a helluva time getting me to go to them but
> the
> kids were always gung ho.
> =====

I haven't been to a shopping mall since I was in my 20's. As a teen, it
was a place to hang out with friends. There was a movie theatre and of
course, being teenage girls, we loved looking at all the clothes.
Rarely had money to buy anything, but looking was free. :) You couldn't
drag me to a mall these days.

Jill

===

I don't have a choice because our optician is there, but not for anything
else:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jmcquown[_2_] 26-02-2017 05:19 PM

Use by date

On 2/26/2017 9:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2017 4:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm I don't like shopping either and only go when I have to:)
>>

> I don't like shopping either. I mostly buy clothes online. I don't buy
> food online but this is why I have a separate freezer, so I don't have
> to run to the store all the time. For fresh fruit and veggies there are
> a couple of farm stands nearby. The grocery stores are much farther
> away so I do a stock-up trip about once a month.
>
> Jill
>
> ======
>
> Pretty much the same as me:)) I don't buy food online either because I
> want to choose what *I* think is the best, not someone else's idea of
> what is best:)

There is no food I could buy online which would be fresh. I keep some
canned goods in the pantry and dried pasta and dried beans. But I don't
want to buy an entire case of canned whatever.

When it comes to fresh food I want to select my own. I've encountered
more than one situation in my lifetime (in many different grocery
stores) where the check-out person at the grocery store had to ask me,
"what is this?" (Artichokes immediately spring to mind). Much more
recently, I was shopping for leeks. When I inquired, the young man who
was stocking vegetables in the produce section asked, "What's a leek?"
Oh dear. :(

To give them some credit, when I was checking out I was asked if I could
find everything I wanted. No, you don't have leeks. The young man who
was bagging my groceries said, "Um, couldn't you use scallions?" No,
but close! Maybe *he* should be working in the produce department
rather than bagging groceries. He at least had a general idea of what I
was talking about. :)

Jill

Cheri[_3_] 26-02-2017 05:35 PM

Use by date

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still
>> > good
>> > to eat:)

>> Yes, me too.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ====
>>
>> What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad.
>> Would
>> they still eat it?

> I don't. I'll trust a date but I also trust my nose.
> I've bought ground beef from the sale section
> (some people here call it the used meat bin).
>
> Normally, the date on it is the day you buy it.
> Generally, if you cook it or freeze it that same day,
> it's fine.
> I waited just one day once and that meat smelled bad.
> I tossed it. I'd rather lose a few dollars than get
> food poisoning. Had it once and I won't take chances
> ever again.
>
> Even if you go ahead and eat something questionable
> like that, you don't really enjoy it. I've done that
> and it's not a great meal just wondering if I'll wake
> up in the middle of the night sick as hell.

If it doesn't smell good, look good etc., I don't go ahead and eat it, as
you say, food poisoning is not fun.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 26-02-2017 05:35 PM

Use by date

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
>> to eat:)

> Yes, me too.
>
> Cheri
>
> ====
>
> What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad.
> Would they still eat it?

Probably not. :)

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 26-02-2017 05:42 PM

Malls was Use by date

On 2/26/2017 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-02-26 9:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I haven't been to a shopping mall since I was in my 20's. As a teen, it
>> was a place to hang out with friends. There was a movie theatre and of
>> course, being teenage girls, we loved looking at all the clothes. Rarely
>> had money to buy anything, but looking was free. :) You couldn't drag
>> me to a mall these days.

> Malls seem to be losing their appeal around here. The large enclosed
> collections of the same old stores don't seem to be attracting customers
> the way they used to. Most new commercial developments these days tend
> to be box store farms and stand alone collections. For instance, a
> nearby city had a decent sized mall that at one time contained a Sears,
> Walmart, a grocery store and about 60 smaller stores, and there was a
> Canadian Tire across the street. Walmart and Canadian Tire moved around
> the corner and about a mile down, and there is big Rona at one end.
> Target moved into the unit that had been Walmart and then Kmart, but it
> floundered. I usually only go there for banking and half the people in
> there seem to be mall walkers.

Well... when I still lived in the Memphis area I worked at the Raleight
Springs mall at JCP. Typical mall setup, Penney's at one end, Sears at
the other. LOL

Later there was The Mall of Memphis (which had an ice-skating rink and
was two stories high! The ultimate shopping mall!) The Mall of Memphis
was built in a really bad part of town. It didn't take long for the
area to go completely down and all of the stores to pull out. It stood
empty for a long time before the city finally razed it.

The Hickory Ridge Mall caught fire and burned down. I do remember
shopping there for some clothes in the early 1990's after I'd just
gotten a new job. I didn't just wander around the mall looking at
stuff. When I shop, I'm not browsing. I have specific things in mind.
Get me in and back out.

Wolfchase Galleria was brand new mall in Cordova but I didn't go there
until 2004. That's where I got those silly glamour shots taken. :)

Speaking of mall walkers, my then programming manager and her husband
were power walking around the mall. They came walking up while I was
previewing my pics at Glamour Shots and I was laughing with the photo
tech. She said, "I'd recognize that laugh anywhere. Hi, Jill!"

I just checked, Wolfchase Galleria is still there and open for business.
Still has a JCP and Sears, too. That seems to be part of the age-old
US shopping mall formula. FYI - Glamour Shots isn't there anymore. LOL

Jill

Cheri[_3_] 26-02-2017 05:44 PM

Malls was Use by date

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I just checked, Wolfchase Galleria is still there and open for business.
> Still has a JCP and Sears, too. That seems to be part of the age-old US
> shopping mall formula. FYI - Glamour Shots isn't there anymore. LOL
>
> Jill

And JCP reported that they were closing 140 stores a couple of days ago, so
probably won't be there long.

Cheri

Ed Pawlowski 26-02-2017 05:45 PM

Malls was Use by date

On 2/26/2017 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Malls seem to be losing their appeal around here. The large enclosed
> collections of the same old stores don't seem to be attracting customers
> the way they used to. Most new commercial developments these days tend
> to be box store farms and stand alone collections. For instance, a
> nearby city had a decent sized mall that at one time contained a Sears,
> Walmart, a grocery store and about 60 smaller stores, and there was a
> Canadian Tire across the street. Walmart and Canadian Tire moved around
> the corner and about a mile down, and there is big Rona at one end.
> Target moved into the unit that had been Walmart and then Kmart, but it
> floundered. I usually only go there for banking and half the people in
> there seem to be mall walkers.

With J C Penny closing 140 stores many malls may be in trouble.
Especially the ones that have Sears at one end and JCP at the other.

Can't tell you the last time we went to a mall, probably 6+ years. It
used to be an occasional destination on the weekend. Take a walk maybe
pick up a book or kitchen gadget, have a snack at the food court.
The internet has sure changed the way we do things. Even what I buy in
the stores is often shopped and compared beforehand from various web
sites.

Gary 26-02-2017 05:56 PM

Use by date

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/26/2017 9:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> >
> > On 2/25/2017 4:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmmm I don't like shopping either and only go when I have to:)
> >>

> > I don't like shopping either. I mostly buy clothes online. I don't buy
> > food online but this is why I have a separate freezer, so I don't have
> > to run to the store all the time. For fresh fruit and veggies there are
> > a couple of farm stands nearby. The grocery stores are much farther
> > away so I do a stock-up trip about once a month.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ======
> >
> > Pretty much the same as me:)) I don't buy food online either because I
> > want to choose what *I* think is the best, not someone else's idea of
> > what is best:)
> >

> There is no food I could buy online which would be fresh. I keep some
> canned goods in the pantry and dried pasta and dried beans. But I don't
> want to buy an entire case of canned whatever.
>
> When it comes to fresh food I want to select my own. I've encountered
> more than one situation in my lifetime (in many different grocery
> stores) where the check-out person at the grocery store had to ask me,
> "what is this?" (Artichokes immediately spring to mind). Much more
> recently, I was shopping for leeks. When I inquired, the young man who
> was stocking vegetables in the produce section asked, "What's a leek?"
> Oh dear. :(
>
> To give them some credit, when I was checking out I was asked if I could
> find everything I wanted. No, you don't have leeks. The young man who
> was bagging my groceries said, "Um, couldn't you use scallions?" No,
> but close! Maybe *he* should be working in the produce department
> rather than bagging groceries. He at least had a general idea of what I
> was talking about. :)
>
> Jill

Aren't leeks the creatures that get on you in the stagnant waters in
southeast asia and other places?

;-D

Gary 26-02-2017 06:02 PM

Use by date

jmcquown wrote:

> You couldn't drag me to a mall these days.

Who would want to? ;)
rawhob!

Gary 26-02-2017 06:04 PM

Use by date

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > "Cheri" wrote in message ...
> >
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >
> > > LOL I use my nose and experience to determine if something is still good
> > > to eat:)

> > Yes, me too.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ====
> >
> > What would they do if it stated it was well in date, but smelled bad.
> > Would
> > they still eat it?

> I don't. I'll trust a date but I also trust my nose.
> I've bought ground beef from the sale section
> (some people here call it the used meat bin).
>
> Normally, the date on it is the day you buy it.
> Generally, if you cook it or freeze it that same day,
> it's fine.
> I waited just one day once and that meat smelled bad.
> I tossed it. I'd rather lose a few dollars than get
> food poisoning. Had it once and I won't take chances
> ever again.
>
> Even if you go ahead and eat something questionable
> like that, you don't really enjoy it. I've done that
> and it's not a great meal just wondering if I'll wake
> up in the middle of the night sick as hell.
>
> ====
>
> Exactly! I am sure most people would do the same. So, the 'date' isn't
> *ALL THAT* eh?:))
>
> (did you like that. I am hoping I got the 'all that' right??)

For meat at least, date works fine but not if it smells off. Not worth
the health risk.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 26-02-2017 06:16 PM

Use by date

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 11:57:58 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > On 2/26/2017 9:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I don't like shopping either. I mostly buy clothes online. I don't buy
> > > food online but this is why I have a separate freezer, so I don't have
> > > to run to the store all the time. For fresh fruit and veggies there are
> > > a couple of farm stands nearby. The grocery stores are much farther
> > > away so I do a stock-up trip about once a month.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ======
> > >
> > > Pretty much the same as me:)) I don't buy food online either because I
> > > want to choose what *I* think is the best, not someone else's idea of
> > > what is best:)
> > >

> > There is no food I could buy online which would be fresh. I keep some
> > canned goods in the pantry and dried pasta and dried beans. But I don't
> > want to buy an entire case of canned whatever.
> >
> > When it comes to fresh food I want to select my own. I've encountered
> > more than one situation in my lifetime (in many different grocery
> > stores) where the check-out person at the grocery store had to ask me,
> > "what is this?" (Artichokes immediately spring to mind). Much more
> > recently, I was shopping for leeks. When I inquired, the young man who
> > was stocking vegetables in the produce section asked, "What's a leek?"
> > Oh dear. :(
> >
> > To give them some credit, when I was checking out I was asked if I could
> > find everything I wanted. No, you don't have leeks. The young man who
> > was bagging my groceries said, "Um, couldn't you use scallions?" No,
> > but close! Maybe *he* should be working in the produce department
> > rather than bagging groceries. He at least had a general idea of what I
> > was talking about. :)
> >
> > Jill

> Aren't leeks the creatures that get on you in the stagnant waters in
> southeast asia and other places?
>
> ;-D

Good one. There are those sorts of leeks in Michigan. I've had 'em
stuck to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary 26-02-2017 06:57 PM

Use by date

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 11:57:58 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > There is no food I could buy online which would be fresh. I keep some
> > > canned goods in the pantry and dried pasta and dried beans. But I don't
> > > want to buy an entire case of canned whatever.
> > >
> > > When it comes to fresh food I want to select my own. I've encountered
> > > more than one situation in my lifetime (in many different grocery
> > > stores) where the check-out person at the grocery store had to ask me,
> > > "what is this?" (Artichokes immediately spring to mind). Much more
> > > recently, I was shopping for leeks. When I inquired, the young man who
> > > was stocking vegetables in the produce section asked, "What's a leek?"
> > > Oh dear. :(
> > >
> > > To give them some credit, when I was checking out I was asked if I could
> > > find everything I wanted. No, you don't have leeks. The young man who
> > > was bagging my groceries said, "Um, couldn't you use scallions?" No,
> > > but close! Maybe *he* should be working in the produce department
> > > rather than bagging groceries. He at least had a general idea of what I
> > > was talking about. :)
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Aren't leeks the creatures that get on you in the stagnant waters in
> > southeast asia and other places?
> >
> > ;-D

> Good one. There are those sorts of leeks in Michigan. I've had 'em
> stuck to me.

There are many lakes in Maine that have leeks. I read that in a book
about the Appalachian trail

Bruce[_28_] 26-02-2017 07:17 PM

Use by date

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:35:09 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>If it doesn't smell good, look good etc., I don't go ahead and eat it

I learn a lot in this newsgroup.