Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default vegetable garden started

I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
started parsley and basil.
I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
include any seeds for those.
I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
own.
Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
eat?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:49:47 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>started parsley and basil.
>I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>include any seeds for those.
>I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>own.
>Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>eat?

Not with an "under flat heating coil" and a "new over head light
system". God...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
> started parsley and basil.
> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
> include any seeds for those.
> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
> own.
> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
> eat?

I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
all your different color tomatoes.

I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
reminder.

I need a new light system, have a link to what you got?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-14 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>> started parsley and basil.
>> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>> include any seeds for those.
>> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>> own.
>> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>> eat?

> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
> cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
> all your different color tomatoes.
>
> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
> reminder.

Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>started parsley and basil.
>I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>include any seeds for those.
>I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>own.
>Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>eat?
>Janet US

It's way early to start with gardening here in cold country... I
plowed snow today, struggled for over three hours plowing through 4'
drifts to the barn. There was a little more than 1' of snow on Sunday
but howling winds yesterday created mountainous drifts.
I buy curly leaf parsley plants, four give me more than I can use....
I found as long as I keep picking the mature outer sprigs they don't
go to seed. I plant parsley right at the foot of the steps for my
deck, behind a turkey wire fence so the deer can't feast on it, a very
handy spot as it's only a few steps from my kitchen. I use a lot more
parsley in tossed salads than I do for cooking... pound for pound
parsley has more Vitamin C than citrus... I don't think dehy parsley
contains much nutrition if any, but I do use it in winter. I eat
parsley leaves in salads and use the finely diced stems in cooked
dishes. My parsley plants receive full sun all day and so long as I
water they become two foot tall shrubs. I prefer curly leaf, it's
sweeter than flat leaf.
This year I plan to plant several types of melons, I had a very good
crop of cantaloupe and honeydew last year, even grew two ice box
watermelons, a very nice size for one person. Naturally there'll be
several types of tomatoes, mostly Roma, lots of eggplant,
summer/winter squash, peppers hot n'sweet, green beans and this year
long beans, sugar snap peas, cabbages, lots of cukes (mostly kirbys),
plenty chard, maybe some corn, a mammoth sunflower patch for the
birds, a dozen okra plants, probably more but can't remember all now.
Oh, and some pumpkins for Halloween.
I no longer need to worry about rodents and bunnies, I made an opening
in the fence for the feral cats to do their patrols, there are no
better rodent hunters. I haven't seen a rodent or rabbit in three
years, they just moved on. Feral cats hunt as a team, one flushes and
the other kills. In warm weather I don't really need to feed them but
I put out kitten chow as treats. Two feral cats can easily clear 40
acres of rodents. Feral cats mostly hunt silently in darkness,
nothing escapes. If the US military would train troops to hunt like
feral cats there'd be no terrorists within 48 hours... feral cats
don't know about capture, they kill their prey most efficiently. A
feral cat's sense of smell is twice as acute as a bloodhound, they
hear six times better than any dog, their night vision is better than
any military gadget, and they do their duty in absolute silence. A
feral cat knows how to make itself so invisable it can be at arm's
lenth and you won't see it. And feral cats groom themselves so clean
no rodent can smell them. I don't think feral cats ever stop hunting,
they hunt in their sleep. I can move my slider door less than an inch
and those two ferals will be out of their heated houses in a flash and
all perked up and ready to kill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:09:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>>up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>>Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>>started parsley and basil.
>>I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>>plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>>back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>>I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>>include any seeds for those.
>>I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>>old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>>own.
>>Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>>eat?
>>Janet US

>It's way early to start with gardening here in cold country...

Did you miss "a new under flat heating coil and new over head light
system"? She could be on the North Pole.

<stream of consciousness snipped>

>plowed snow today, struggled for over three hours plowing through 4'
>drifts to the barn. There was a little more than 1' of snow on Sunday
>but howling winds yesterday created mountainous drifts.
>I buy curly leaf parsley plants, four give me more than I can use....
>I found as long as I keep picking the mature outer sprigs they don't
>go to seed. I plant parsley right at the foot of the steps for my
>deck, behind a turkey wire fence so the deer can't feast on it, a very
>handy spot as it's only a few steps from my kitchen. I use a lot more
>parsley in tossed salads than I do for cooking... pound for pound
>parsley has more Vitamin C than citrus... I don't think dehy parsley
>contains much nutrition if any, but I do use it in winter. I eat
>parsley leaves in salads and use the finely diced stems in cooked
>dishes. My parsley plants receive full sun all day and so long as I
>water they become two foot tall shrubs. I prefer curly leaf, it's
>sweeter than flat leaf.
>This year I plan to plant several types of melons, I had a very good
>crop of cantaloupe and honeydew last year, even grew two ice box
>watermelons, a very nice size for one person. Naturally there'll be
>several types of tomatoes, mostly Roma, lots of eggplant,
>summer/winter squash, peppers hot n'sweet, green beans and this year
>long beans, sugar snap peas, cabbages, lots of cukes (mostly kirbys),
>plenty chard, maybe some corn, a mammoth sunflower patch for the
>birds, a dozen okra plants, probably more but can't remember all now.
>Oh, and some pumpkins for Halloween.
>I no longer need to worry about rodents and bunnies, I made an opening
>in the fence for the feral cats to do their patrols, there are no
>better rodent hunters. I haven't seen a rodent or rabbit in three
>years, they just moved on. Feral cats hunt as a team, one flushes and
>the other kills. In warm weather I don't really need to feed them but
>I put out kitten chow as treats. Two feral cats can easily clear 40
>acres of rodents. Feral cats mostly hunt silently in darkness,
>nothing escapes. If the US military would train troops to hunt like
>feral cats there'd be no terrorists within 48 hours... feral cats
>don't know about capture, they kill their prey most efficiently. A
>feral cat's sense of smell is twice as acute as a bloodhound, they
>hear six times better than any dog, their night vision is better than
>any military gadget, and they do their duty in absolute silence. A
>feral cat knows how to make itself so invisable it can be at arm's
>lenth and you won't see it. And feral cats groom themselves so clean
>no rodent can smell them. I don't think feral cats ever stop hunting,
>they hunt in their sleep. I can move my slider door less than an inch
>and those two ferals will be out of their heated houses in a flash and
>all perked up and ready to kill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2017 9:06 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-02-14 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
>> reminder.
>>

> Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

Interesting. I will give it a try. I usually buy these pathetic
little plants that don't seem to be at all promising and at some
point they take off. Okay, or not.

Thanks for the heads up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
> started parsley and basil.
> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
> include any seeds for those.
> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
> own.
> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
> eat?
> Janet US

I definately am! Side of the house is getting a butterfly garden of
milk weed seeds. I'll rough up the soil then load 30lbs topsoil there
and pour in seeds mixed with wild flower mix.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2017 7:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system
>> set up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I
>> seeded are Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee
>> Purple. I also started parsley and basil. I wanted a rainbow of
>> tomato colors this year. I was limited to those plants that had
>> days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded back yard.
>> I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason, I just do
>> not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't include any
>> seeds for those. I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often
>> get plants that are old enough that they go to seed during
>> mid-season. So, I'll grow my own. Anyone else thinking yet about
>> gardening season and what to grow and eat?

> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact.
> Tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see
> pictures of all your different color tomatoes.
>
> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
> reminder. I need a new light system, have a link to what you got?

I'm quite jealous (vbg!)! Hopefully, y'all will share stories, and
photos too, throughout the gardening season - it'd be really neat to
read and see the progress - at least I think so ;D

Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.

Past years, I tried to grow cucumbers and cantaloupes (etc.) with
unfinished, vertically-propped (lean-to style) 4' x 8' lattice sheets
tilted along the southern wall of the house. Nearly all always died
early on due to some sort of white, powdery stuff (mold, mildew, I
haven't a clue!).

OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
plant!" As if I didn't know (LOL!). And I'm still grinning . . . .

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
> due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
> digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
> condo

We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated some
towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like it's
under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
internet for a couple of days.

I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done, I
think the drought is over for now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
> wrote in message

> Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
> due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
> digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
> condo

We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated some
towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like it's
under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
internet for a couple of days.

I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done, I
think the drought is over for now.

Cheri

====

The news about that dam is in our newspapers. Terrifying(

I am very pleased you are back anyway

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-14 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>> started parsley and basil.
>> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>> include any seeds for those.
>> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>> own.
>> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>> eat?

> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
> cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
> all your different color tomatoes.
>
> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
> reminder.

Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

===

Everything I have sown so far has come through ok ... except tomatoes and
Calibrachioa

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2/14/2017 9:06 PM, graham wrote:
> > On 2017-02-14 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> > > I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
> > > reminder.
> > >

> > Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

> Interesting. I will give it a try. I usually buy these pathetic
> little plants that don't seem to be at all promising and at some
> point they take off. Okay, or not.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> nancy

I've always had good luck with parsley from seed but it's too early
here yet, for all that it's been warmer than normal. Good thing for us
on warmer though as it's been a wet season and we'd be buried in snow
again if not. Planting here is when the apple trees bloom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 8:53 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

>> Interesting. I will give it a try. I usually buy these pathetic
>> little plants that don't seem to be at all promising and at some
>> point they take off. Okay, or not.
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>> nancy

> I've always had good luck with parsley from seed but it's too early
> here yet, for all that it's been warmer than normal. Good thing for us
> on warmer though as it's been a wet season and we'd be buried in snow
> again if not. Planting here is when the apple trees bloom.

As have I but like carrots, parsnips, celery and dill (also coriander,
cumin, anise, fennel and caraway) after seeing nothing happening after a
week, you begin to wonder if the seed was OK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:14:33 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:46:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
>>> due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
>>> digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
>>> condo

>>We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
>>mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated some
>>towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like it's
>>under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
>>some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
>>internet for a couple of days.
>>
>>I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
>>would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done, I
>>think the drought is over for now.
>>
>>Cheri

>They showed a heart wrenching kid evacuated from Oroville. She was
>about ten I would think and distraught because her mother had brought
>her to a safe place and then returned to stay with their cattle and
>make sure they were fed etc. She kept saying 'If the water comes my
>mother will die'
>
>Too much water is awful as it's not clean water that gets into the
>house and ruins everything. I would think rather like here when heavy
>rain falls on frozen ground, the rain falling in California will not
>be absorbed too readily by parched ground.
>
>Stay safe!

I've been watching the news about the west coast and east coast and
worrying about the members here. Weather comes as it will but the
deluge and blizzards are real burden. We had the most snow since the
1890s and now all the associated problems. We all have been hammered
this winter. Chin up, I saw some greening grass peeking through snow
the other day
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:46:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
>>> due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
>>> digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
>>> condo

>>We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
>>mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated
>>some
>>towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like
>>it's
>>under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
>>some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
>>internet for a couple of days.
>>
>>I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
>>would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done,
>>think the drought is over for now.
>>
>>Cheri

> They showed a heart wrenching kid evacuated from Oroville. She was
> about ten I would think and distraught because her mother had brought
> her to a safe place and then returned to stay with their cattle and
> make sure they were fed etc. She kept saying 'If the water comes my
> mother will die'
>
> Too much water is awful as it's not clean water that gets into the
> house and ruins everything. I would think rather like here when heavy
> rain falls on frozen ground, the rain falling in California will not
> be absorbed too readily by parched ground.
>
> Stay safe!

Actually, here, the ground is so saturated that it's not absorbing the rain
water anymore, but running off. Looking at more rain for the next few days,
but the storms are expected to be less than they were. One of the problems
earlier in January was warmer rain falling on the snow pack causing a lot of
run-off from higher in the Sierras and a lot of the infrastructure has not
been maintained and upgraded for decades.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> The news about that dam is in our newspapers. Terrifying(
>
> I am very pleased you are back anyway

Thank You.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:04:52 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>> started parsley and basil.
>> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>> include any seeds for those.
>> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>> own.
>> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>> eat?

>I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
>cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
>all your different color tomatoes.
>
>I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
>reminder.
>
>I need a new light system, have a link to what you got?
>
>nancy

this is what I got but it doesn't show the complete kit.
https://www.hydrofarm.com/catalog/brand/jump-start

this is really what I have although another brand:
http://parkseed.com/seed-starting-un...ystem/p/v2012/

I got mine on sale at a farm/hardware store last year. The heating
(cable) is ancient from my garden supplies box and never used. Next
year I am going to get one of those heating pads for a flat. Setting
up the cable so that nothing touches is a pain. The link above has
some heating units available separately. I'm pleased with the
lighting system as this one allows me to lower the light very low
whereas my previous system was constrained by some welds on the legs.
Also Park Seed has some setups that look good. I
I'll remember to post pictures of the tomatoes (keep fingers crossed
that I don't get some weird disease going on back there because most
of the colored tomatoes are heritage types and don't carry much
natural immunity.)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:06:34 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-02-14 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system set
>>> up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I seeded are
>>> Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. I also
>>> started parsley and basil.
>>> I wanted a rainbow of tomato colors this year. I was limited to those
>>> plants that had days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded
>>> back yard. I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason,
>>> I just do not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't
>>> include any seeds for those.
>>> I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often get plants that are
>>> old enough that they go to seed during mid-season. So, I'll grow my
>>> own.
>>> Anyone else thinking yet about gardening season and what to grow and
>>> eat?

>> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
>> cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
>> all your different color tomatoes.
>>
>> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
>> reminder.
>>

>Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

according to seed packets, with 70F soil temp., about 16 days. I have
grown my own before by simply sprinkling generous amounts on seed on
the soil in the fall and thereafter allowing the biennial plants to go
to seed and self sow. The snow came on too early this year and I
didn't have the opportunity to clear leaves away before they were
frozen to the ground. So, starting the seed indoors.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:57:43 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>On 2/14/2017 7:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 2/14/2017 4:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I got a new under flat heating coil and new over head light system
>>> set up today and got a flat of seeds started. Tomatoes that I
>>> seeded are Green Zebra, Park's Whopper, Black Krim and Cherokee
>>> Purple. I also started parsley and basil. I wanted a rainbow of
>>> tomato colors this year. I was limited to those plants that had
>>> days to harvest that would work out in my tree-shaded back yard.
>>> I'm really excited about these tomatoes. For some reason, I just do
>>> not like orange tomatoes (or bell peppers) so I didn't include any
>>> seeds for those. I am burned out on buying parsley plants. I often
>>> get plants that are old enough that they go to seed during
>>> mid-season. So, I'll grow my own. Anyone else thinking yet about
>>> gardening season and what to grow and eat?

>> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact.
>> Tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see
>> pictures of all your different color tomatoes.
>>
>> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
>> reminder. I need a new light system, have a link to what you got?

>I'm quite jealous (vbg!)! Hopefully, y'all will share stories, and
>photos too, throughout the gardening season - it'd be really neat to
>read and see the progress - at least I think so ;D
>
>Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
>even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
>the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
>mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.
>
>Past years, I tried to grow cucumbers and cantaloupes (etc.) with
>unfinished, vertically-propped (lean-to style) 4' x 8' lattice sheets
>tilted along the southern wall of the house. Nearly all always died
>early on due to some sort of white, powdery stuff (mold, mildew, I
>haven't a clue!).
>
>OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
>just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
>project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
>plant!" As if I didn't know (LOL!). And I'm still grinning . . . .
>
>Sky
>
>================================
>Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
>Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
>================================

Way to go, kiddo! A green plant is absolutely the correct thing for a
6 year old.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I've been watching the news about the west coast and east coast and
> worrying about the members here. Weather comes as it will but the
> deluge and blizzards are real burden. We had the most snow since the
> 1890s and now all the associated problems. We all have been hammered
> this winter. Chin up, I saw some greening grass peeking through snow
> the other day

My chin is up. I ate two corndogs last night, one dipped in honey
mustard sauce. yep! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:46:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
>>>wrote:
>>>
> wrote in message
m...

>>>They showed a heart wrenching kid evacuated from Oroville. She was
>>>about ten I would think and distraught because her mother had brought
>>>her to a safe place and then returned to stay with their cattle and
>>>make sure they were fed etc. She kept saying 'If the water comes my
>>>mother will die'
>>>
>>>Too much water is awful as it's not clean water that gets into the
>>>house and ruins everything. I would think rather like here when heavy
>>>rain falls on frozen ground, the rain falling in California will not
>>>be absorbed too readily by parched ground.
>>>
>>>Stay safe!

>>I've been watching the news about the west coast and east coast and
>>worrying about the members here. Weather comes as it will but the
>>deluge and blizzards are real burden. We had the most snow since the
>>1890s and now all the associated problems. We all have been hammered
>>this winter. Chin up, I saw some greening grass peeking through snow
>>the other day
>>Janet US

>Do I remember from the recesses of my memory somewhere that army
>engineers are in charge of infrastructure like dams in the USA?

Yes, but infrastructure expense is never on the table
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:38:10 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:46:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
>>>mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated
>>>some
>>>towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like
>>>it's
>>>under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
>>>some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
>>>internet for a couple of days.
>>>
>>>I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
>>>would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done,
>>>think the drought is over for now.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> They showed a heart wrenching kid evacuated from Oroville. She was
>> about ten I would think and distraught because her mother had brought
>> her to a safe place and then returned to stay with their cattle and
>> make sure they were fed etc. She kept saying 'If the water comes my
>> mother will die'
>>
>> Too much water is awful as it's not clean water that gets into the
>> house and ruins everything. I would think rather like here when heavy
>> rain falls on frozen ground, the rain falling in California will not
>> be absorbed too readily by parched ground.
>>
>> Stay safe!

>Actually, here, the ground is so saturated that it's not absorbing the rain
>water anymore, but running off. Looking at more rain for the next few days,
>but the storms are expected to be less than they were. One of the problems
>earlier in January was warmer rain falling on the snow pack causing a lot of
>run-off from higher in the Sierras and a lot of the infrastructure has not
>been maintained and upgraded for decades.
>
>Cheri

Here, our problem is that the ground is frozen solid so any rain and
melt water has no place to go except bad places.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:46:55 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > Nope, we had a bad blizzard yesterday and all night, stopped now but
> > due to start again tomorrow afternoon, so shovelling rather than
> > digging is on most peoples minds - not mine of course as I am in a
> > condo

> We've been dealing with flooding in CA for the past month or so, what a
> mess, roads crumbling, landslides, bridges unstable etc. They evacuated some
> towns due to problems with the Oroville Dam, but luckily it looks like it's
> under control. Where I am, not much of a problem with the rivers etc. but
> some in close by areas are hard hit. My only problem was loss of the
> internet for a couple of days.
>
> I saw the people shoveling the snow in the Sierras for days on end and I
> would not want to deal with that either, but when it's all said and done, I
> think the drought is over for now.
>
> Cheri

My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago, it was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox just waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we visited the dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how that works. I haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is under control.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 9:54 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:06:34 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> I got my first seeds in the mail today, as a matter of fact. Tomatoes,
>>> cukes, lettuce, beans and spinach. I hope I get to see pictures of
>>> all your different color tomatoes.
>>>
>>> I've never grown parsley from seed but I meant to, thanks for the
>>> reminder.
>>>

>> Like all the umbellifera, it takes a while to germinate.

> according to seed packets, with 70F soil temp., about 16 days. I have
> grown my own before by simply sprinkling generous amounts on seed on
> the soil in the fall and thereafter allowing the biennial plants to go
> to seed and self sow. The snow came on too early this year and I
> didn't have the opportunity to clear leaves away before they were
> frozen to the ground. So, starting the seed indoors.
> Janet US

You are fortunate to have a longer growing season. In the past, I have
sown parsnips in the fall to get them germinated and grown a bit. This
gives me a chance to get decent sized roots the following year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

>>Actually, here, the ground is so saturated that it's not absorbing the
>>rain
>>water anymore, but running off. Looking at more rain for the next few
>>days,
>>but the storms are expected to be less than they were. One of the problems
>>earlier in January was warmer rain falling on the snow pack causing a lot
>>of
>>run-off from higher in the Sierras and a lot of the infrastructure has not
>>been maintained and upgraded for decades.
>>
>>Cheri
>>

> Here, our problem is that the ground is frozen solid so any rain and
> melt water has no place to go except bad places.
> Janet US

Yes, not good either way. :-(

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-

My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago, it
was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox just
waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we visited the
dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how that works. I
haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is under control.

=====

It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007 the
emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state declined to
spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust. They said it was the
tallest dam in the US, which I did not know and I would not like to be
living under that threat at any rate, but the headline in the paper today
was that the threat had passed and people could return home. Personally, I
would wait awhile, but it was a nightmare for the evacuees with traffic,
price gouging etc. also burglary and looting going on.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-15 11:53 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-
>
> My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago,
> it was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox
> just waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we
> visited the dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how
> that works. I haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is
> under control.
>
> =====
>
> It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
> they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
> problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007
> the emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state
> declined to spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust.

It's the Scrooges they have for managers. I have a friend who is a power
engineer and when he worked for a major utility, he crossed swords with
those types. A certain component had a predicted lifespan of 10 years.
If it failed it would be catastrophic. He wanted to replace it at 10
years but it hadn't failed and the management decided to hold off. You
can guess the result and who got the blame!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:54:31 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-
>
> My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago, it
> was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox just
> waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we visited the
> dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how that works. I
> haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is under control.
>
> =====
>
> It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
> they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
> problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007 the
> emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state declined to
> spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust. They said it was the
> tallest dam in the US, which I did not know and I would not like to be
> living under that threat at any rate, but the headline in the paper today
> was that the threat had passed and people could return home. Personally, I
> would wait awhile, but it was a nightmare for the evacuees with traffic,
> price gouging etc. also burglary and looting going on.
>
> Cheri

My brother-in-law was spending his time helping people evacuate. My sister-in-law is watching 8 foster kids. My niece has 30 people staying at her house. These guys really step up to the plate. I did not hear about the looting. That's nasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
> even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
> the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
> mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.

In your case, grow Philodendrons. They thrive in low light and are
almost impossible to kill.

> OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
> just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
> project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
> plant!"

LOL! That's so funny and cute. :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:59:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>>
>> Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
>> even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
>> the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
>> mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.

>In your case, grow Philodendrons. They thrive in low light and are
>almost impossible to kill.
>
>> OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
>> just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
>> project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
>> plant!"

>LOL! That's so funny and cute. :-D

What's so funny, I wish I could grow a money tree. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>>
>> Alas, my thumbs are too brown to successfully grow practically anything,
>> even house plants (sigh). But then, I'm a lazy gardener since I follow
>> the "plant it and forget it" method! The property where I live is
>> mostly shaded for the entire day, so that does not help.

> In your case, grow Philodendrons. They thrive in low light and are
> almost impossible to kill.
>
>> OK, here's a funny ---> GD#1 (she's 6-years old, kindergarten) told me
>> just this very evening that she's "growing a plant" at school as a class
>> project. I asked her, "What sort of plant?" She responded, "A 'green'
>> plant!"

> LOL! That's so funny and cute. :-D

grownups can be pretty stupid sometimes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2017-02-15 11:53 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-
>>
>> My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago,
>> it was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox
>> just waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we
>> visited the dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how
>> that works. I haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is
>> under control.
>>
>> =====
>>
>> It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
>> they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
>> problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007
>> the emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state
>> declined to spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust.

> It's the Scrooges they have for managers. I have a friend who is a power
> engineer and when he worked for a major utility, he crossed swords with
> those types. A certain component had a predicted lifespan of 10 years. If
> it failed it would be catastrophic. He wanted to replace it at 10 years
> but it hadn't failed and the management decided to hold off. You can guess
> the result and who got the blame!

Yes, very true. They are always looking for a scapegoat and the higher ups
always find them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:54:31 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-
>>
>> My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago,
>> it
>> was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox just
>> waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we visited the
>> dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how that works.
>> haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is under control.
>>
>> =====
>>
>> It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
>> they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
>> problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007 the
>> emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state declined
>> spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust. They said it was
>> the
>> tallest dam in the US, which I did not know and I would not like to be
>> living under that threat at any rate, but the headline in the paper today
>> was that the threat had passed and people could return home. Personally,
>> would wait awhile, but it was a nightmare for the evacuees with traffic,
>> price gouging etc. also burglary and looting going on.
>>
>> Cheri

> My brother-in-law was spending his time helping people evacuate. My
> sister-in-law is watching 8 foster kids. My niece has 30 people staying at
> her house. These guys really step up to the plate. I did not hear about
> the looting. That's nasty.

=======

They downplayed it at the time, which was a good idea, but then the stories
started coming out after. I was really ****ed at a couple of the motel
owners that were kicking some evacuees out early and raising prices, which
is totally against the law in emergencies, so I hope they are all over
social media with the names of the businesses.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:42:53 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1ahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:54:31 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> >> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message news:10064770-c3ab-41f6-8072-
> >>
> >> My in-laws live in Oroville. When I visited the place several years ago,
> >> it
> >> was a nasty scene. The area was an ugly black and brown tinderbox just
> >> waiting to explode and the lake was drying up. Of course, we visited the
> >> dam. Evidently, it's mostly a big pile of dirt. Beats me how that works.
> >> haven't heard anything to suggest that the situation is under control.
> >>
> >> =====
> >>
> >> It is hard to trust when they said on the original spillway failure that
> >> they had not walked it to inspect, but looked at it and didn't see a
> >> problem. Really? You can tell by looking? Then they said that in 2007 the
> >> emergency spillway was recommended to be concreted but the state declined
> >> spend the money for that, so hard to know who to trust. They said it was
> >> the
> >> tallest dam in the US, which I did not know and I would not like to be
> >> living under that threat at any rate, but the headline in the paper today
> >> was that the threat had passed and people could return home. Personally,
> >> would wait awhile, but it was a nightmare for the evacuees with traffic,
> >> price gouging etc. also burglary and looting going on.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > My brother-in-law was spending his time helping people evacuate. My
> > sister-in-law is watching 8 foster kids. My niece has 30 people staying at
> > her house. These guys really step up to the plate. I did not hear about
> > the looting. That's nasty.

> =======
>
> They downplayed it at the time, which was a good idea, but then the stories
> started coming out after. I was really ****ed at a couple of the motel
> owners that were kicking some evacuees out early and raising prices, which
> is totally against the law in emergencies, so I hope they are all over
> social media with the names of the businesses.
>
> Cheri

Businesses got it tough these days with social media being able to spread disparaging words in such a rapid and widespread way. They might deserve it but they might not. Mostly they have to tiptoe through mindfields.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:42:53 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

>> > My brother-in-law was spending his time helping people evacuate. My
>> > sister-in-law is watching 8 foster kids. My niece has 30 people staying
>> > at
>> > her house. These guys really step up to the plate. I did not hear about
>> > the looting. That's nasty.

>> =======
>>
>> They downplayed it at the time, which was a good idea, but then the
>> stories
>> started coming out after. I was really ****ed at a couple of the motel
>> owners that were kicking some evacuees out early and raising prices,
>> which
>> is totally against the law in emergencies, so I hope they are all over
>> social media with the names of the businesses.
>>
>> Cheri

> Businesses got it tough these days with social media being able to spread
> disparaging words in such a rapid and widespread way. They might deserve
> it but they might not. Mostly they have to tiptoe through mindfields.

That is true, but businesses that price gouge during emergencies deserve it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 8:38:37 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> That is true, but businesses that price gouge during emergencies deserve it.
>
> Cheri

Damn straight!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:38:37 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> =======
> >>
> >> They downplayed it at the time, which was a good idea, but then the
> >> stories
> >> started coming out after. I was really ****ed at a couple of the motel
> >> owners that were kicking some evacuees out early and raising prices,
> >> which
> >> is totally against the law in emergencies, so I hope they are all over
> >> social media with the names of the businesses.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Businesses got it tough these days with social media being able to spread
> > disparaging words in such a rapid and widespread way. They might deserve
> > it but they might not. Mostly they have to tiptoe through mindfields.

> That is true, but businesses that price gouge during emergencies deserve it.
>
> Cheri

The trouble is that nobody bothers to verify anything that anyone says - especially if it badmouths somebody. Slander is trending. I have a problem with this modern way of folks getting even.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:37:18 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:38:37 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

>> > Businesses got it tough these days with social media being able to spread
>> > disparaging words in such a rapid and widespread way. They might deserve
>> > it but they might not. Mostly they have to tiptoe through mindfields.

>> That is true, but businesses that price gouge during emergencies deserve it.
>>

>The trouble is that nobody bothers to verify anything that anyone says - especially if it badmouths somebody. Slander is trending. I have a problem with this modern way of folks getting even.

If we didn't have you, we'd miss all these trends. Thanks for the
heads-up.