Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Arsenic again

Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
arsenic and mercury, study finds

Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
years

But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
foods

They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
dieters

Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.

But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
high levels of two toxic metals.

Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause of
cancer - in their body, scientists found.

While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
greater, expert claim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html

Anyone think this is real??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:16:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
>arsenic and mercury, study finds
>
>Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
>years
>
>But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
>foods
>
>They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
>dieters
>
>Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.
>
>But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
>high levels of two toxic metals.
>
>Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause of
>cancer - in their body, scientists found.
>
>While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
>greater, expert claim.
>
>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html
>
>Anyone think this is real??

And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
soak overnight, it should be ok?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:28:33 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
> arsenic and mercury, study finds
>
> Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
> years
>
> But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
> foods
>
> They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
> dieters
>
> Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.
>
> But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
> high levels of two toxic metals.
>
> Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause of
> cancer - in their body, scientists found.
>
> While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
> greater, expert claim.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html
>
> Anyone think this is real??
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

who paid for the study......follow the money
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
>arsenic and mercury, study finds
>
>Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
>years
>
>But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
>foods
>
>They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
>dieters
>
>Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.
>
>But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
>high levels of two toxic metals.
>
>Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause
>of
>cancer - in their body, scientists found.
>
>While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
>greater, expert claim.
>
>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html
>
>Anyone think this is real??

And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
soak overnight, it should be ok?

===

I noticed that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:16:39 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:28:33 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
>> arsenic and mercury, study finds
>>
>> Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
>> years
>>
>> But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
>> foods
>>
>> They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
>> dieters
>>
>> Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.
>>
>> But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
>> high levels of two toxic metals.
>>
>> Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause of
>> cancer - in their body, scientists found.
>>
>> While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
>> greater, expert claim.
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html
>>
>> Anyone think this is real??
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>who paid for the study......follow the money

Arsenic in rice isn't new. Or do you think that every scientist who
has reported about it over the years, is on the take?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:22:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:16:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>Think your gluten-free diet is healthy? You're exposed to twice as much
>>arsenic and mercury, study finds
>>
>>Gluten-free diets have increasingly grown in popularity over the past few
>>years
>>
>>But scientists claim it could be dangerous for those choosing to eat such
>>foods
>>
>>They found high levels of the 2 toxic metals in the urine of gluten-free
>>dieters
>>
>>Gluten-free diets have taken off rapidly in the past few years.
>>
>>But new research suggests those choosing to follow the trend are exposed to
>>high levels of two toxic metals.
>>
>>Those going gluten-free have double the amount of arsenic - a known cause
>>of
>>cancer - in their body, scientists found.
>>
>>While traces of mercury - another deadly chemical - are almost 70 per cent
>>greater, expert claim.
>>
>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-arsenic.html
>>
>>Anyone think this is real??

>And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
>mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
>long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
>soak overnight, it should be ok?
>
>===
>
>I noticed that.

That's a strange answer to the question.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Anyone think this is real??

It probably is, and the answer is to change fertilizer formulas. Let
big business earn their keep for a change.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:03:44 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

> And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
> mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
> long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
> soak overnight, it should be ok?

American grown rice has less, and wash it thoroughly. I'm not dead
yet, but I'm planning to be in the future.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:06:58 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:03:44 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>> And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
>> mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
>> long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
>> soak overnight, it should be ok?

>American grown rice has less, and wash it thoroughly. I'm not dead
>yet, but I'm planning to be in the future.

"Basmati rice from California is the lowest in arsenic."

"Rices from Texas are among the highest in arsenic."

<http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:20:38 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:06:58 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:03:44 +1100, Bruce >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> And then they go on to say that the reason for the higher arsenic and
> >> mercury in gluten avoiders is that they eat more rice. I guess, as
> >> long as you buy your own organic rice or non-organic rice that you
> >> soak overnight, it should be ok?

> >American grown rice has less, and wash it thoroughly. I'm not dead
> >yet, but I'm planning to be in the future.

> "Basmati rice from California is the lowest in arsenic."
>
> "Rices from Texas are among the highest in arsenic."
>
> <http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm>

The article I read said American rice in general was lower in arsenic,
but CR says Texas rice is high? Why am I not surprised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:30:17 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:20:38 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:06:58 -0800, sf > wrote:

>> >American grown rice has less, and wash it thoroughly. I'm not dead
>> >yet, but I'm planning to be in the future.

>> "Basmati rice from California is the lowest in arsenic."
>>
>> "Rices from Texas are among the highest in arsenic."
>>
>> <http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm>

>The article I read said American rice in general was lower in arsenic,
>but CR says Texas rice is high? Why am I not surprised.

"White basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan, and sushi
rice from the U.S. on average has half of the inorganic-arsenic amount
of most other types of rice."

"All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label
indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from
the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests. For
instance, white rices from California have 38 percent less inorganic
arsenic than white rices from other parts of the country."

Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:16:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone think this is real??

> It probably is, and the answer is to change fertilizer formulas. Let
> big business earn their keep for a change.

Any one show that the intake of the amount of arsenic in the levels even
from the higher rice level is harmful to humans .
there is a healthy race of humans can not remember which at the moment
whose daily intake of arsenic may kill us,apparently licking rocks
containing arsenic from an early age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:39:21 +1100, F Murtz >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:16:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone think this is real??

>> It probably is, and the answer is to change fertilizer formulas. Let
>> big business earn their keep for a change.
>>

>Any one show that the intake of the amount of arsenic in the levels even
>from the higher rice level is harmful to humans .
>there is a healthy race of humans can not remember which at the moment
>whose daily intake of arsenic may kill us,apparently licking rocks
>containing arsenic from an early age.

"Regular exposure to small amounts of arsenic can increase the risk of
bladder, lung, and skin cancer, as well as heart disease and type 2
diabetes. Recent studies also suggest that arsenic exposure in utero
may have effects on the baby’s immune system."
<http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"F Murtz" wrote in message
b.com...

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:16:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone think this is real??

> It probably is, and the answer is to change fertilizer formulas. Let
> big business earn their keep for a change.

Any one show that the intake of the amount of arsenic in the levels even
from the higher rice level is harmful to humans .
there is a healthy race of humans can not remember which at the moment
whose daily intake of arsenic may kill us,apparently licking rocks
containing arsenic from an early age.
===

Licking rocks, eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:40:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
> difference.

There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>
I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
abundance.

It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:38:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:40:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
>> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
>> difference.

>There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>
>I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
>abundance.
>
>It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
>come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>
>> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
>> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
>> difference.

>There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>
>I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
>abundance.
>
>It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
>come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.

The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US... rice grown
in the US does not need to be washed nor should it be washed,
especially not when it's "enriched" rice or the added nutrition will
be washed away Rice grown in other countries is disgustingly filthy,
most especially those strange brands from the orient. Rice is grown
all over the world but few countries other than the US monitors
growing conditions, handling, packaging. Also keep in mind the
plethora of products made from rice; cereals, flours, noodles, and be
especially alert when consuming rice based beverages; wines, vinegars,
etc. Unless one knows with certainty that the rice/rice product is US
grown do not consume it.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.html
http://search.freefind.com/find.html...0&query= rice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:38:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:40:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
>> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
>> difference.

>There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>

Yes, that's why I made the distinction between naturally occurring and
non naturally occurring.

>I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
>abundance.
>
>It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
>come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.

How do you think inorganic arsenic can end up in rice?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:26:33 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

>No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
>Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

I sometimes doubt whether Sheldon can actually read.

You can avoid rice or soak the rice. The researcher from the first
quoted article said soaking overnight removed 80% of the arsenic in
his tests.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

Note: I rarely eat rice. Probably not often enough to worry about
it but from now on, I'll probably soak it overnight anyway.
"An ounce of precaution..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 12:52:54 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:38:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:40:43 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
> >> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes the
> >> difference.

> >There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
> ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>

> Yes, that's why I made the distinction between naturally occurring and
> non naturally occurring.
>
> >I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
> >abundance.
> >
> >It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
> >come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.

> How do you think inorganic arsenic can end up in rice?

Arsenic in the soil or water, especially if the rice
is irrigated with groundwater.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:17:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 12:52:54 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:38:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
>> ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>

>> Yes, that's why I made the distinction between naturally occurring and
>> non naturally occurring.
>>
>> >I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
>> >abundance.
>> >
>> >It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
>> >come from without knowing more about the specific growing conditions.

>> How do you think inorganic arsenic can end up in rice?

>Arsenic in the soil or water, especially if the rice
>is irrigated with groundwater.

But wouldn't that be "organic" arsenic?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:27:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:27:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> >
>> > The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

>> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
>> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

>The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:47:31 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> >> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

> >The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

> It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

It's probably kept more people alive than any food known to mankind. People that fear carbs should be trembling at the sight of this humble grain. Starving folks would have a different view.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:52:35 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:47:31 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

>> It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

>It's probably kept more people alive than any food known to mankind. People that fear carbs should be trembling at the sight of this humble grain. Starving folks would have a different view.

But we're not talking about people who are starving, but about people
who have way too much food. The western world. I don't think there are
many carb fearers in Africa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:23:20 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:17:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 12:52:54 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:38:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Yes, that's why I made the distinction between naturally occurring and
> >> non naturally occurring.

> >> How do you think inorganic arsenic can end up in rice?

> >Arsenic in the soil or water, especially if the rice
> >is irrigated with groundwater.

> But wouldn't that be "organic" arsenic?

Depends on whether the arsenic compounds have carbon
in them or not. I've been using "organic" and "inorganic"
in the chemist's sense, since that has more to do with
its effect on humans than whether it came from groundwater
or fertilizer or a mad poisoner.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:40:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:27:43 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > >
> > > The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

> > No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> > Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

> The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

Sure, it has kept them alive. But nobody who can get
sufficient calories from other sources needs any
carbohydrates at all.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-16 12:58 PM, Gary wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

>> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
>> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

> Note: I rarely eat rice. Probably not often enough to worry about
> it but from now on, I'll probably soak it overnight anyway.
> "An ounce of precaution..."

I only have rice once or twice a month and it is usually a last minute
thing to accompany a stir fry or curry. I don't plan rice far enough in
advance to soak it overnight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:47:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> >> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

> >The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

> It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

First World problems. Still, it is a big problem for
millions of people (including me). I'm not afraid of
carbs, but I limit my consumption of "white" stuff.
I'm eating an apple even as we speak; a real carb-fearing
person wouldn't.

I had a brownie (loaded with sugar) earlier, in celebration
of paying off my mortgage. I won't do that again soon.
(The brownie; I hope never to have a mortgage again.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:26:33 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US...

>No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.

Nope, rice grown in the US is carefully monitored... we've had the
rice thread years ago when we had a real food scientist posting here.

>Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

No more worthless than pasta or fries... depends how prepared...
perhaps you've never eaten great house special fly lice.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...fried-rice.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 10:09:00 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:40:10 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
> > > Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

> > The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

> Sure, it has kept them alive. But nobody who can get
> sufficient calories from other sources needs any
> carbohydrates at all.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I am aware that carbs are a problem with a lot of Westerners. We don't need to see everything from a Western POV - a human one would be nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:12:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:47:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

>> It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

>First World problems. Still, it is a big problem for
>millions of people (including me). I'm not afraid of
>carbs, but I limit my consumption of "white" stuff.
>I'm eating an apple even as we speak; a real carb-fearing
>person wouldn't.
>
>I had a brownie (loaded with sugar) earlier, in celebration
>of paying off my mortgage. I won't do that again soon.
>(The brownie; I hope never to have a mortgage again.)

I think that might have been worth a whole lot of brownies
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:39:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 10:09:00 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

>> Sure, it has kept them alive. But nobody who can get
>> sufficient calories from other sources needs any
>> carbohydrates at all.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I am aware that carbs are a problem with a lot of Westerners. We don't need to see everything from a Western POV - a human one would be nice.

I think an overweight person should look at carbs from the perspective
of an overweight person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:07:07 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:23:20 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:17:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Arsenic in the soil or water, especially if the rice
>> >is irrigated with groundwater.

>> But wouldn't that be "organic" arsenic?

>Depends on whether the arsenic compounds have carbon
>in them or not. I've been using "organic" and "inorganic"
>in the chemist's sense, since that has more to do with
>its effect on humans than whether it came from groundwater
>or fertilizer or a mad poisoner.

Maybe you didn't read the article.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 06:47:23 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:40:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:

>>> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
>>> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

>>The things you think are worthless I can't understand. Rice has kept people alive for thousands of years. There's a lot of worthless food in the world but rice ain't it.

>It's the carb fearing perspective of the weight watchers.

A diet high in rice is how people get beri-beri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> Since they're talking about inorganic -i.e. non natural occurring-
> >> arsenic, it must be something about the farming method that makes

> the >> difference.
> >
> > There are naturally occurring organic arsenic compounds.
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organoarsenic_chemistry#In_nature>
> > I see that a common soil mold can make trimethylarsine in
> > abundance.
> >
> > It would be foolish to speculate where organoarsenicals in rice
> > come from without knowing more about the specific growing
> > conditions.

> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US... rice grown
> in the US does not need to be washed nor should it be washed,
> especially not when it's "enriched" rice or the added nutrition will
> be washed away Rice grown in other countries is disgustingly filthy,
> most especially those strange brands from the orient. Rice is grown
> all over the world but few countries other than the US monitors
> growing conditions, handling, packaging. Also keep in mind the
> plethora of products made from rice; cereals, flours, noodles, and be
> especially alert when consuming rice based beverages; wines, vinegars,
> etc. Unless one knows with certainty that the rice/rice product is US
> grown do not consume it.
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.html
> http://search.freefind.com/find.html...r&mode=ALL&n=0
> &query=rice

Missing a beat there Sheldon. US rice has issues too, but the
difference is we are now testing ours while most rice grown overseas,
is NOT tested. Gives a false sense of security to some who go 'oh,
I'll just buy rice from overseas as now one says it has high levels'.

Wanna bet rice in China now is far the worst?

Best known, California never used the particular pesticides and
fertilizers that seem to be the issue in USA rice. South eastern USA
did (some more heavily than others) and it lays dormant long enough
that rice grown in it *can* be labeled 'organic rice'. (what you do not
test for, you do not know about).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:10:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-02-16 12:58 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> No, rice grown in US is supposedly bad too.
>>> Simple solution is to NOT eat rice. Worthless carbs anyway.

>> Note: I rarely eat rice. Probably not often enough to worry about
>> it but from now on, I'll probably soak it overnight anyway.
>> "An ounce of precaution..."
>>

>I only have rice once or twice a month and it is usually a last minute
>thing to accompany a stir fry or curry. I don't plan rice far enough in
>advance to soak it overnight

Rice is my standard. I may become Australia's Rasputin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:19:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:20:08 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> The simple solution is to buy only rice grown in the US... rice grown
>> in the US does not need to be washed nor should it be washed,
>> especially not when it's "enriched" rice or the added nutrition will
>> be washed away Rice grown in other countries is disgustingly filthy,
>> most especially those strange brands from the orient. Rice is grown
>> all over the world but few countries other than the US monitors
>> growing conditions, handling, packaging.

>The U.S. grown rice is the worst because it is grown in areas that
>used to grow cotton. Arsenic pesticides were used to control the boll
>weevil. And that arsenic has accumulated in the soil and gets
>absorbed by the rice.

Good one, that would explain a lot.

> No amount of washing will rid the rice of arsenic.

That's a bit pessimistic:

"A third method — where the rice was soaked all night — found the
arsenic levels were cut by 80 per cent."
<http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/how-we-are-all-cooking-rice-incorrectly-and-could-be-endangering-our-health/news-story/839e5e0c8fbc14694e3ebca7c91dfbd5>

>Buy California rice, or even Thai rice. It only has about 1/3rd the
>arsenic of that grown in the Southern U.S. We should be exporting all
>our rice to China and importing all our rice from Thailand.
>
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1892142/

Or Pakistani or Indian basmati rice:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...rice/index.htm