Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Date turnovers

I have always liked the combination of dates and oatmeal. My grandmother
and my mother both made wonderful oatmeal cookies that could be eaten on
their own or, even better, as sandwich with a date filling. Once in a
while I find date turnovers on a bakery and they are always a nice
treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
decided to give them a try.

I ran into few snags along the way. The recipe called for a half cup of
unsalted butter i have a lot of that... in the freezer. It took a while
to arrange that. Then I had to cool the batter for at least an hour.
That was another snag because I as going out at noon and would not have
time to finish. Not a problem. I wrapped it up, stuck it in the fridge
and came back to it a few hours later.

The cooled dough rolled out nicely. It needed a good dose of flour on
under and over the dough. Only 15 minutes to bake. The results were
pretty good.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:ZFQiA.19740$W_4.11620
@fx21.iad:

> treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
> decided to give them a try.

And the recipe you found was where...? Everything I found was basically
cookie dough folded over a date filling. And that's not what I'm used to
seeing when the term "turnover" is used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan, can't you just use frozen puff pastry?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 4:42 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote in news:ZFQiA.19740$W_4.11620
> @fx21.iad:
>
>> treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
>> decided to give them a try.
>>

> And the recipe you found was where...? Everything I found was basically
> cookie dough folded over a date filling. And that's not what I'm used to
> seeing when the term "turnover" is used.

I found it online. They are called Date Filled Cookies, but in the
recipes I checked out the terms were interchangeable. They turned out
to be similar to like a soft oatmeal cookie wrapped around the date
filling similar to the date turnovers I buy in bakeries.

http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/159574.html#t1353046

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In high school I used to turn over dates most every week. Then I had a
date that I kept pretty steady. She still hangs around after 50+ years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 10:00 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

Make yourself a treat. They are delicious. Mine turned out really
nicely. I think my next project will be to track down my mother's recipe
for oatmeal cookies. It had similar ingredients to this recipe and
rolled them out to cut and bake them, but the texture was more on
crispy, though they softened up a little if the date filling sat in them
for a while. My brother has Mom's recipes and his wife has been saying
for years that she is going to do them on the computer and share them.
It has not happened yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 8:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-01-28 4:42 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> Dave Smith > wrote in
>> @fx21.iad:
>>
>>> treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
>>> decided to give them a try.
>>>

>> And the recipe you found was where...? Everything I found was basically
>> cookie dough folded over a date filling. And that's not what I'm used to
>> seeing when the term "turnover" is used.
>>

> I found it online. They are called Date Filled Cookies, but in the
> recipes I checked out the terms were interchangeable. They turned out
> to be similar to like a soft oatmeal cookie wrapped around the date
> filling similar to the date turnovers I buy in bakeries.
>
> http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/159574.html#t1353046

Turnovers to me always use plain or puff pastry.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 10:01 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Alan, can't you just use frozen puff pastry?

The oatmeal turnovers I am familiar with have always been made with an
oatmeal dough. Oatmeal and dates are a great combination. You could
probably make them with puff pastry but I would not have thought of
using dates for that kind of turnover.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 10:57 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-01-28 8:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-01-28 4:42 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> Dave Smith > wrote in
>>> @fx21.iad:

>>> And the recipe you found was where...? Everything I found was basically
>>> cookie dough folded over a date filling. And that's not what I'm
>>> used to
>>> seeing when the term "turnover" is used.
>>>

>> I found it online. They are called Date Filled Cookies, but in the
>> recipes I checked out the terms were interchangeable. They turned out
>> to be similar to like a soft oatmeal cookie wrapped around the date
>> filling similar to the date turnovers I buy in bakeries.
>>
>> http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/159574.html#t1353046

> Turnovers to me always use plain or puff pastry.

Most other turnovers are made with plain or puff pastry. I have enjoyed
date turnovers since I was a kid and they always had an oatmeal crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
raisins too?

Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> In high school I used to turn over dates most every week. Then I had a
> date that I kept pretty steady. She still hangs around after 50+ years.

ah yes....you ran across the premium version! :-D
Might I be so lucky next trip to the grocery store?
Possible but doubtful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:49:10 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
>> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
>> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
>> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

>No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
>now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
>raisins too?
>
>Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
>would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

Here they are with the fruit - you can also at this time of year buy
the big muscat dates loose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 11:50:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
> > have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
> > rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
> > using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

> No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
> now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
> raisins too?
>
> Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
> would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

It depends on the grocery store. Mine keeps them near the produce
department. Other stores located them in the candy aisle or with
the baking things.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
> > would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

> It depends on the grocery store. Mine keeps them near the produce
> department. Other stores located them in the candy aisle or with
> the baking things.

Thanks Cindy. I'll find them and maybe a bit quicker with your ideas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
dates that I liked so long ago.

Will be fun to try them again after forever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
>> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
>> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled
>> before
>> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

> No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
> now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
> raisins too?
>
> Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
> would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

They will be where the raisins, dried apricots etc. are, or even in the
produce dept, but not in the canned fruit aisle, at least in any stores that
I shop at. YMMV

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
>> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
> dates that I liked so long ago.
>
> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some kind
of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
powdered sugar on them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
>> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
> dates that I liked so long ago.
>
> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some kind
of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
powdered sugar on them.

Cheri

======================

That is how they were when I was young

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
>>> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

>> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
>> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
>> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
>> dates that I liked so long ago.
>>
>> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

> My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
> kind
> of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
> powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
> powdered sugar on them.
>
> Cheri
>
> ======================
>
> That is how they were when I was young

Yes, I think you and I are the same age, old enough to have all those great
memories!!!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
>>> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

>> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
>> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
>> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
>> dates that I liked so long ago.
>>
>> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

> My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
> kind
> of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
> powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
> powdered sugar on them.
>
> Cheri
>
> ======================
>
> That is how they were when I was young

Yes, I think you and I are the same age, old enough to have all those great
memories!!!

Cheri

==

I believe so))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Janet wrote:
>>>
>>> The other day I was making braised red cabbage and couldn't find the
>>> sultanas, so I used chopped fresh dates instead. Good combination.

>> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
>> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
>> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
>> dates that I liked so long ago.
>>
>> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

>My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some kind
>of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
>powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
>powdered sugar on them.
>
>Cheri

This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux

They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
cookins'

koko

--
When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 1:25:48 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> I have always liked the combination of dates and oatmeal. My grandmother
> and my mother both made wonderful oatmeal cookies that could be eaten on
> their own or, even better, as sandwich with a date filling. Once in a
> while I find date turnovers on a bakery and they are always a nice
> treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
> decided to give them a try.
>

> I ran into few snags along the way. The recipe called for a half cup of
> unsalted butter i have a lot of that... in the freezer. It took a while
> to arrange that. Then I had to cool the batter for at least an hour.
> That was another snag because I as going out at noon and would not have
> time to finish. Not a problem. I wrapped it up, stuck it in the fridge
> and came back to it a few hours later.
>
> The cooled dough rolled out nicely. It needed a good dose of flour on
> under and over the dough. Only 15 minutes to bake. The results were
> pretty good.
>
> ---

Date filled cookies are pretty good eats. Too bad I don't get to meet up with them very often. I don't care what you call them. You could call them mini-pizzas and they'd still be tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My grandmother used to make candied dates a lot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-28 12:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 11:50:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>>
>>> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
>>> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
>>> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
>>> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

>> No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
>> now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
>> raisins too?
>>
>> Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
>> would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

> It depends on the grocery store. Mine keeps them near the produce
> department. Other stores located them in the candy aisle or with
> the baking things.

Around here they are usually in the baking goods aisle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
>>> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
>>> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
>>> dates that I liked so long ago.
>>>
>>> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

>>My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
>>kind
>>of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
>>powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
>>powdered sugar on them.
>>
>>Cheri

> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
>
> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
> cookins'
>
> koko

I make them wrapped in bacon during the holidays, but never have stuffed
them with chorizo. I will have to try that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

> >> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain along
> >> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
> >> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
> >> dates that I liked so long ago.
> >>
> >> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

> >My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some kind
> >of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
> >powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
> >powdered sugar on them.
> >
> >Cheri

> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
>
> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
> cookins'
>
> koko
>
> --
> When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
> only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
> becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
> Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

Very interesting dish! Thanks. Here's what I had this for breakfast. The sausages are Filipino longanisa. This is a sweet sausage flavored with vinegar and garlic. Great stuff! Like chorizo, it's probably a good idea to not know what's in it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0sNVlDfCE8MJeJ

I saw this at the same place at the mall. It made me laugh.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...H7LExMNgHF6JT4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:21:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"koko" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
>>>kind
>>>of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
>>>powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
>>>powdered sugar on them.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
>>
>> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
>> cookins'
>>
>> koko

>I make them wrapped in bacon during the holidays, but never have stuffed
>them with chorizo. I will have to try that.
>
>Cheri

I hope you do, they are really deliciuos.

koko

--
When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
Thomas Keller: The French Laundry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:52:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-10, koko wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>> >My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some kind
>> >of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
>> >powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
>> >powdered sugar on them.
>> >
>> >Cheri

>> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
>>
>> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
>> cookins'
>>
>> koko
>>
>> --
>> When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
>> only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
>> becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
>> Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

>Very interesting dish! Thanks. Here's what I had this for breakfast. The sausages are Filipino longanisa. This is a sweet sausage flavored with vinegar and garlic. Great stuff! Like chorizo, it's probably a good idea to not know what's in it.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0sNVlDfCE8MJeJ
>
>I saw this at the same place at the mall. It made me laugh.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...H7LExMNgHF6JT4

Thank you for that, it made me laugh too. I just might have to try
making something like that. ;-)

koko

--
When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
Thomas Keller: The French Laundry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

> >> Interesting. I've never used them in a recipe. Just had them plain
> >> along
> >> with something else. I'm thinking to eat them combined with dry roasted
> >> peanuts. Seriously, it's been so many years, I forget the companion to
> >> dates that I liked so long ago.
> >>
> >> Will be fun to try them again after forever.

> >My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
> >kind
> >of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
> >powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
> >powdered sugar on them.
> >
> >Cheri

> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
>
> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
> cookins'
>
> koko
>
> --
> When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
> only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
> becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
> Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

Very interesting dish! Thanks. Here's what I had this for breakfast. The
sausages are Filipino longanisa. This is a sweet sausage flavored with
vinegar and garlic. Great stuff! Like chorizo, it's probably a good idea to
not know what's in it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0sNVlDfCE8MJeJ

I saw this at the same place at the mall. It made me laugh.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...H7LExMNgHF6JT4

====

Koko's special?? Wow she is even more famous than we knew)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 6:25:26 PM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:52:22 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-10, koko wrote:

> >> This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
> >> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
> >> or
> >> http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
> >>
> >> They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
> >> cookins'
> >>
> >> koko
> >>
> >> --
> >> When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
> >> only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
> >> becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
> >> Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

> >Very interesting dish! Thanks. Here's what I had this for breakfast. The sausages are Filipino longanisa. This is a sweet sausage flavored with vinegar and garlic. Great stuff! Like chorizo, it's probably a good idea to not know what's in it.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0sNVlDfCE8MJeJ
> >
> >I saw this at the same place at the mall. It made me laugh.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...H7LExMNgHF6JT4

> Thank you for that, it made me laugh too. I just might have to try
> making something like that. ;-)
>
> koko
>
> --
> When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
> only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
> becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
> Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

Corned beef hash on top of fried rice topped with eggs - that's a little crazy. The Vienna sausage and Spam take it over the top.

I picked up some good luck food at the Chinese stand at the mall yesterday. Jin dui and gau. Gau is an important food during the lunar new year. It is a brown steamed mochi cake with sesame seeds topped with a red date. The seeds symbolize fertility which I don't need and the red date is for luck. I picked the cake with the biggest date - we need all the luck we can get! The roast pork is not especially lucky but I always get Chinese roast pork when I see it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...502LRwIs4deenp
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 12:38:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:23:24 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> > >My mom, and just about everyone else back then, stuffed them with some
> > >kind
> > >of nut, almond, cashew, pecan, walnut etc., and then dusted them with
> > >powdered sugar. I like them stuffed with the nuts, but not so much the
> > >powdered sugar on them.
> > >
> > >Cheri

> > This is one of my favorite ways to fix dates.
> > http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...re _dish.html
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/c5kwxux
> >
> > They are always well received and was a required dish at our rfc
> > cookins'
> >
> > koko
> >
> > --
> > When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no perfect food,
> > only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection
> > becomes clear; to make people happy, That's what cooking is all about
> > Thomas Keller: The French Laundry

> Very interesting dish! Thanks. Here's what I had this for breakfast. The
> sausages are Filipino longanisa. This is a sweet sausage flavored with
> vinegar and garlic. Great stuff! Like chorizo, it's probably a good idea to
> not know what's in it.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...0sNVlDfCE8MJeJ
>
> I saw this at the same place at the mall. It made me laugh.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...H7LExMNgHF6JT4
>
> ====
>
> Koko's special?? Wow she is even more famous than we knew)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This seems to be the case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/28/2017 10:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> In high school I used to turn over dates most every week. Then I had a
> date that I kept pretty steady. She still hangs around after 50+ years.

LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Date candy recipe: (WAS Date turnovers)

On 1/28/2017 12:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 11:50:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>>
>>> My mom used to make those oatmeal/date filled sandwich cookies. I
>>> have the recipe somewhere. They are really good. The cookie dough is
>>> rolled out pretty thin,mand the date filling is cooked and then cooled before
>>> using. Darn, now I want some. ;-))

>> No recipe but I haven't had dates in forever (way more than 20 years
>> now). I remember liking to eat a mix of dates and nuts...maybe a few
>> raisins too?
>>
>> Next grocery store trip, I'll look for a box of dates. I assume they
>> would be in the aisle along with canned fruit?

> It depends on the grocery store. Mine keeps them near the produce
> department. Other stores located them in the candy aisle or with
> the baking things.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Date Nut Coconut Candy

2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1-1/2 Tbs. butter (or, as her recipe stated, butter the size of a walnut)
1 c. chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. shredded coconut (the pre-sweetened stuff)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine sugar, milk and butter and cook until it reaches the soft ball
stage (test in cold water, mixture will flatten but can be picked up).
Add chopped dates and cook 5 minutes longer. Add chopped walnuts,
coconut and vanilla. Beat until thick. (Grandma didn't use a mixer.
The one time I made it I didn't, either. Just a wooden spoon. It was
lots of work!)

Butter a three inch strip down a length of 6 feet of waxed paper. Spoon
the mixture along the strip. Shape with a knife into a long square
shape, about 1 inch tall. The mixture is very hot! Don't burn your
fingers. Let the candy cool, then cut into 1 inch pieces. Wrap
individual pieces piece in waxed paper.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 6:25:48 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> I have always liked the combination of dates and oatmeal. My grandmother
> and my mother both made wonderful oatmeal cookies that could be eaten on
> their own or, even better, as sandwich with a date filling. Once in a
> while I find date turnovers on a bakery and they are always a nice
> treat. This morning I searched for a recipe for the turnovers and
> decided to give them a try.
>

> I ran into few snags along the way. The recipe called for a half cup of
> unsalted butter i have a lot of that... in the freezer. It took a while
> to arrange that. Then I had to cool the batter for at least an hour.
> That was another snag because I as going out at noon and would not have
> time to finish. Not a problem. I wrapped it up, stuck it in the fridge
> and came back to it a few hours later.
>
> The cooled dough rolled out nicely. It needed a good dose of flour on
> under and over the dough. Only 15 minutes to bake. The results were
> pretty good.
>
> ---

There's a Great Grains cereal that has dates, raisins and pecans in it.

African Turnovers International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 07-04-2008 03:27 PM
Banana Turnovers Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 08:27 PM
Turkey Turnovers Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2005 04:01 AM
Apple Turnovers Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-10-2005 10:37 PM
release date vs date on bottle- confused Larry Wine 2 26-01-2004 03:17 AM