Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is a fried bologna sandwich?

This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
couple of those food shows.
Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
what condiments? Anybody?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-19 1:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

Sounds like a bunch of baloney:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>couple of those food shows.
>Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>what condiments? Anybody?
>Janet US

There's no exact recipe as there are infinite variations, only thing
consistant is thick sliced balogna (~1/4"). Don't forget to cut slits
around the perimeter or the bologna slices will curl up like a bowl.
Some like to add cheese, I don't... if anything I prefer to add a
beaten egg. I think it works best with kosher bologna, actually I
much prefer a fried salami sandwich; fried kosher salami on an onion
roll from a Jewish bakery (onion kuchen), w/spicey brown deli mustard,
and a bowlful of half sour pickles, with a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic.
Usta be a thousand+ kosher delis in Brooklyn, now maybe 4-5, and not
the real deal. There's really no real kosher bologna/salami
anymore... Hebrew National is fake kosher, was always fake kosher.
http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-bol...andwich-133272
http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=fr...yword_rollover
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is something that is super popular at a certain NASCAR race...can't remember
which one it is, for sure, but it is a southern thang.....maybe the one in Charlotte,
but I think I am probably wrong.

Anyway, yes, that is exactly what you describe...it is served
with ketchup, for sure. I am not positive about the other things they put on it.

Google fried baloney (I think that is a better spelling for this than the
proper spelling) and NASCAR race together, and see what pops up. It might be Darlington.....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

Not on a bun, although that might be tasty.

Ketchup as its condiment. ISTR mom cooking the ketchup
with the bologna, although it's been ages and the details
elude me. I also seem to remember fried onions with it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:27:28 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>>couple of those food shows.
>>Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>>from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>>what condiments? Anybody?
>>Janet US

>There's no exact recipe as there are infinite variations, only thing
>consistant is thick sliced balogna (~1/4"). Don't forget to cut slits
>around the perimeter or the bologna slices will curl up like a bowl.
>Some like to add cheese, I don't... if anything I prefer to add a
>beaten egg. I think it works best with kosher bologna, actually I
>much prefer a fried salami sandwich; fried kosher salami on an onion
>roll from a Jewish bakery (onion kuchen), w/spicey brown deli mustard,
>and a bowlful of half sour pickles, with a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic.
>Usta be a thousand+ kosher delis in Brooklyn, now maybe 4-5, and not
>the real deal. There's really no real kosher bologna/salami
>anymore... Hebrew National is fake kosher, was always fake kosher.
>http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-bol...andwich-133272
>http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=fr...yword_rollover

I know what you mean about butcher shop made bologna. My home town
makes it (ring bologna only) but there is absolutely no comparison to
store bologna, wieners, hot dogs. I miss it. Mom used to put the
whole ring in a pie pan into the oven to heat it. When you cut into
it, it split and juices poured out.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:30:00 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 19-Jan-2017, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>
>> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>> couple of those food shows.
>> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>> what condiments? Anybody?
>> Janet US

>I haven't had one since about 1959; but, when I had them, they were a thick
>slice of bologna (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch), pan-fried and served on white
>bread or saltines. Mustard was the only condiment I recall seeing anyone
>use; it was certainly my choice. Saltines were useable back then because
>the came four squares attached in a larger, perforated square. It could be
>broken into 4 crackers the size of today's saltine or left whole to make a
>sandwich.
>
>B'loney sandwiches and soda pop were big sellers at my grandfather's country
>store, when the farmers came in with money, they'd splurge on that treat.
>Even after my grandfather had a griddle and could make hamburgers, b'loney
>sandwiches were more popular. But, many wanted the b'loney fried. Few of
>them, but a couple, didn't have the nerve to add a treat when they came in
>looking to buy on credit.

I'd forgotten that saltines used to come 4x4. They made a good cheese
sandwich with brown mustard
thanks for the sandwich info
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:46:30 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 3:09:41 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>> couple of those food shows.
>> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>> what condiments? Anybody?
>> Janet US

>Not on a bun, although that might be tasty.
>
>Ketchup as its condiment. ISTR mom cooking the ketchup
>with the bologna, although it's been ages and the details
>elude me. I also seem to remember fried onions with it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

now the onions sound good. My husband is a boloney fan and I thought
I would make one for him. A kind of lunch/supper thing. thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
U.S. Janet B. > wrote:

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

If you think of the bologna as nothing more than a flattened out hot
dog, then any condiment you would use for that. On white bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 2:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I also seem to remember fried onions with it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Not your hubby's drowned possum?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 2:09:41 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

I like my bologna fried black, absolutely black and no it doesn't
taste burnt. Cheese is good for a change but I like it on white
bread with mustard. I want my hot dogs to be cooked until black,
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:57:01 PM UTC-8, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:30:00 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> >On 19-Jan-2017, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
> >
> >> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> >> couple of those food shows.
> >> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> >> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> >> what condiments? Anybody?
> >> Janet US

> >I haven't had one since about 1959; but, when I had them, they were a thick
> >slice of bologna (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch), pan-fried and served on white
> >bread or saltines. Mustard was the only condiment I recall seeing anyone
> >use; it was certainly my choice. Saltines were useable back then because
> >the came four squares attached in a larger, perforated square. It could be
> >broken into 4 crackers the size of today's saltine or left whole to make a
> >sandwich.
> >
> >B'loney sandwiches and soda pop were big sellers at my grandfather's country
> >store, when the farmers came in with money, they'd splurge on that treat.
> >Even after my grandfather had a griddle and could make hamburgers, b'loney
> >sandwiches were more popular. But, many wanted the b'loney fried. Few of
> >them, but a couple, didn't have the nerve to add a treat when they came in
> >looking to buy on credit.

> I'd forgotten that saltines used to come 4x4. They made a good cheese
> sandwich with brown mustard
> thanks for the sandwich info
> Janet US

you are describing my childhood. Baloney at the grocery store was a big 5 pound chub and the butcher would slice it for you any thickness you wanted or you could just buy a hunk and slice it yourself. and the crackers...my Mother made cheese and cracker sandwich to take to work for lunch....she worked in a textile mill. We had fried baloney sandwiches and sometimes we made fried baloney and let it curl up into a bowl and cracked an egg in there for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

When I was a kid, we fried the bologna which my mom would get from the
butcher in a large chunk, slice it as thick as we wanted, put it on soft
bread with butter, or mayo, whatever we liked (I liked Miracle Whip) and eat
it. I don't know how they make them now, but if I was having one, that's how
I would make it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> > This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> > couple of those food shows.
> > Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> > from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> > what condiments? Anybody?
> > Janet US

> When I was a kid, we fried the bologna which my mom would get from the
> butcher in a large chunk, slice it as thick as we wanted, put it on soft
> bread with butter, or mayo, whatever we liked (I liked Miracle Whip) and eat
> it. I don't know how they make them now, but if I was having one, that's how
> I would make it.

Back in my childhood days, a regular bologna sandwich was on white
bread with mayo. Deluxe one added processed american cheese, tomato
and lettuce. Also I'm pretty sure we always had the tangier Miracle Whip
too.

Occasionally, I got the fried bologna. Never got to have the thick
sliced though...it was still the thin pre-sliced and those were
put on white bread with mustard.

I was never a big fan of that and I've never made it in my adult
life. My daughter never got it from me either as she grew up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You are right, Cindy...it was a brain misfire ;-)) I think plain ol'
Wonder Bread type white bread is the choice for a fried bologna
sandwich.

I confess, while I was still watching NASCAR races, I generally tuned
out when the fried bologna sandwiches started being featured on
the grills set alongside the drivers' haulers.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-20 8:39 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> You are right, Cindy...it was a brain misfire ;-)) I think plain ol'
> Wonder Bread type white bread is the choice for a fried bologna
> sandwich.
>
> I confess, while I was still watching NASCAR races, I generally tuned
> out when the fried bologna sandwiches started being featured on
> the grills set alongside the drivers' haulers.

I remember have grilled balogna when I was kid. We liked it. It was a
lot like hotdogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:13:42 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>We had fried baloney sandwiches
>> and sometimes we made fried baloney and let it curl up into a bowl and
>> cracked an egg in there for breakfast.

>Yes, I remember having b'loney "cups" for breakfast. With a slice of
>pan-fried cornmeal mush,drizzled with syrup (Log Cabin in good times,
>home-made when cash was short).

Preferring the hard Italian salamis, I've never been a baloney fan,
not even as a kid. However something we did have for breakfast similar
to your b'loney cups was made with something called "Taylor Ham". It
came in a plastic (I guess) wrapped sausage and you sliced off rounds
that were fried in butter and served with eggs. If you didn't put
notches in the rim of the slices, they'd curl up into cups that could
be used to hold an egg etc.

--
Bob
The joint that is out of time
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2017 10:16 AM, Opinicus wrote:

> Preferring the hard Italian salamis, I've never been a baloney fan,
> not even as a kid. However something we did have for breakfast similar
> to your b'loney cups was made with something called "Taylor Ham". It
> came in a plastic (I guess) wrapped sausage and you sliced off rounds
> that were fried in butter and served with eggs. If you didn't put
> notches in the rim of the slices, they'd curl up into cups that could
> be used to hold an egg etc.

Taylor Ham and egg on a hard roll, that will get you through the morning.

However, we didn't have that when I was a kid, we did have
fried baloney sandwiches once in a while. That would be on
the rare occasions my father was in charge of making lunch.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2017, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:09:40 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> > This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
>> > couple of those food shows.
>> > Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
>> > from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
>> > what condiments? Anybody?

>> I tried to go on a fried bologna sandwich binge a couple weeks ago but
>> none of the bologna hit the spot. I tried Boars Head, Target deli
>> brand, and the Walmart Prima Della crap all cut about 1/3" thick.
>> None of it worked for me. They weren't fatty and/or salty enough,
>> they were rubbery, and/or they didn't fry right. Walmart used to have
>> a good grabd in teh deli, "Wunderbar" or something like that, but now
>> they only carry that Prima Della crap exclusively (with some Jenny-O
>> turkey).
>>
>> I can't find anybody carrying Nathan's brand any more. But even that
>> isn't ideal since that's pre-sliced.
>>
>> =-sw

> I don't believe it is possible to buy decent bologna at a regular
> supermarket anymore. I am fortunate to have a rather large international
> grocer nearby; their meat department is a treasure. They have a variety of
> types/styles of bologna (beef, beef/pork, etc.) made by specialty sausage
> shops around the mid-west. And, none of it has chicken sludge added like
> the national brands.

I got some good bologna from the crabby ladies at the German deli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 3:54 PM, wrote:
> I like my bologna fried black, absolutely black

YOU RACIST PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 7:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I do it - along with other condiments).
>
> =sw

When do you start to fatten yourself up like the Christmas goose?

High school:

http://recfoodcooking.com/mug/shot/Steve%20Wertz.jpg

Today:

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 7:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> That must have been before my time. I only remember 1x2's.
>
> -sw

When do you start to fatten yourself up like the Christmas goose?

High school:

http://recfoodcooking.com/mug/shot/Steve%20Wertz.jpg

Today:

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:13:42 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 19-Jan-2017, ImStillMags > wrote:

>> > I'd forgotten that saltines used to come 4x4. They made a good cheese
>> > sandwich with brown mustard
>> > thanks for the sandwich info
>> > Janet US

>> you are describing my childhood. Baloney at the grocery store was a big
>> 5 pound chub and the butcher would slice it for you any thickness you
>> wanted or you could just buy a hunk and slice it yourself. and the
>> crackers...my Mother made cheese and cracker sandwich to take to work for
>> lunch....she worked in a textile mill. We had fried baloney sandwiches
>> and sometimes we made fried baloney and let it curl up into a bowl and
>> cracked an egg in there for breakfast.

>Yes, I remember having b'loney "cups" for breakfast. With a slice of
>pan-fried cornmeal mush,drizzled with syrup (Log Cabin in good times,
>home-made when cash was short). When I think about it, I can almost hear
>Hugh Edward Sandefur on the radio with the morning news; it seems that in
>those days (pre-TV) the ratio was always on. Paul Harvey gave us the news
>over lunch.

If you had the radio on at 6 a.m. you could hear the Hog and Farm
Report
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 8:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I tried to go on a fried bologna sandwich binge

When do you start to fatten yourself up like the Christmas goose?

High school:

http://recfoodcooking.com/mug/shot/Steve%20Wertz.jpg

Today:

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> If you had the radio on at 6 a.m. you could hear the Hog and Farm
> Report

here, Saturday morning at 6am is the local fishing report.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2017 10:53 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> you are describing my childhood.

YOU can **** OFF!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2017 7:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> It was a lot like hotdogs.

STFU FAGGOT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2017 9:51 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> you could hear the Hog and Farm
> Report

Your daily WHORE briefing?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet U.S., we get the "Ag Report" which includes livestock and crop prices and
futures early mornings on both radio and TV, here in a farming state. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:23:48 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Janet U.S., we get the "Ag Report" which includes livestock and crop prices and
>futures early mornings on both radio and TV, here in a farming state. ;-))
>
>N.

even out here in ranching land we get similar. One of the joys to
keep us in touch with nature and where our food comes from.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

A million versions but here are some of mine in college when I was
working my way through on my own and didn't want huge student loans.

The meats varied but normally it was a thick presliced chicken and beef
mixed (I think it's Gwaltneys that sells something like it now? Red
plastic outer wrapper you have to peel off?).

Cut slices into the rim, about 1/4 way through so it stays flatter.
I'd put it in a teflon stick-free pan then add a topper screen as it
tends to splatter a bit. Once the edges look a bit crusty, flip over
and mash down a bit and get the other side a bit crusty.

Toast slathered with Mayo and most of the time, mixed with horseradish
powder (dirt cheap even then). Lettuce if I had it*. Cheese when I
had some though I might have only enough to strip cut 1/2 a slice so
you got some every other bite. A little very thin sliced raw onion*.

Another way was to add Russian red dressing or Catalina to the pan and
cook it in that.

* I worked at fast food places mostly those years and they were very
kind about letting us take home small amounts of produce that were
still safe but didnt look pretty enough anymore for the salad bar or
sandwiches. At Wendys, I did morning prep of the veggies on weekends
then worked the lunch crowd. The owner didn't like seeing any good
food go to waste so there was a sort of rack with bins back in the
kitchen and if the outer leaves of a lettuce couldn't be used without
too much time (time is money) then they went in a bin as long as they
had trimmable parts that were healthy. If the outer layer of an onion
was bad, we'd pull that off but if there was a browning bit more than
one layer deep, it went in the bin. Food safety rules also required
disposing of any tomatoes if there was a single spot bad so if it was
very minor and could be trimmed off, they went in a bin. On a very
*rare* occasion, a block of sliced cheese would have a split in the
plastic and develop mold. The entire block, no matter how minor, had
to be removed from serving, even if only 2 slices of a 10lb block were
involved (it had a special bin in the fridge with a sign on the other
one). Anything truely unsafe was discarded immediately so, no meats and
things like that. Come closing, anything not selected from the
'leftover bin' was tossed and the bins were re-cleaned. The rules have
probably changed since then, but at the time, it was a happy little
side perk to a minimum wage job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 2:09:41 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

When I was a kid, long ago, we often had fried Baloney sandwiches, only we all called it Curley Meat , as it would curl up when cooked in the skillet, it was served on that white bread that we always had around , Wonder Bread or some such bread, with either Katsup or mustard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 2:09:41 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> This sandwich is something I've never seen and only heard about on a
> couple of those food shows.
> Apparently you need the big hunk of bologna and you cut thick slices
> from it and fry. Where do you go from there? Is it made on a bun,
> what condiments? Anybody?
> Janet US

Buy a Bung of Bologna, cut 1/2 inch slices and fry. I prefer the same condiments as in a burger. Try it for breakfast with eggs and potato wedges.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 6:17:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Buy a Bung of Bologna, cut 1/2 inch slices and fry. I prefer the same condiments as in a burger. Try it for breakfast with eggs and potato wedges.

Just wake up from a coma?