Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default herbs & spice

I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
I was out of a few things and running low on others.

It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.

Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.

I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.

Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.

Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
old spice jars that I have.

Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
http://heritagestore.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-05 9:59 AM, Gary wrote:
> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>
> It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>
> Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
> constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>
> I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
> was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
> of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.

My experience with the Bulk Barn is that it is usually at least that
much cheaper than the containers at grocery stores, though I can by
larger containers of pepper for less than the bulk stuff. Most other
things are much cheaper. One time I went there for ground ginger. A
small bottle of the stuff was IIRC $3.99 in the grocery store. I got
enough to more than fill one of those bottles for 24 cents. I use the
small stainless spice tins from Lee Valley, which hold the equivalent of
3-4 bottles of herbs and spices, and I can refill most of those for
under $1 apiece, as opposed to $2-4 that it would cost for one bottle.

> Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
> Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
> a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>
> Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
> old spice jars that I have.
>
> Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
> It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
> It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> http://heritagestore.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-05, Dave Smith > wrote:

> 3-4 bottles of herbs and spices, and I can refill most of those for
> under $1 apiece, as opposed to $2-4 that it would cost for one bottle.

I've been advocating buy bulk spices at health food store, fer yrs.

I'll tell you why. I was out of bay leaves, so wanted to jes pick up
a small bottle at the sprmkt to avoid having to drive to the health
food store. I almost did it. That is, until I looked at the "per
ounce" cost on the shelf sticker and it turned out to be jes a hair
under $50.00USD per oz! It's only about $.89USD per oz, at the HFS.

Easy choice. I drove to the HFS.

nb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-05 10:31 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-01-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> 3-4 bottles of herbs and spices, and I can refill most of those for
>> under $1 apiece, as opposed to $2-4 that it would cost for one bottle.

> I've been advocating buy bulk spices at health food store, fer yrs.
>
> I'll tell you why. I was out of bay leaves, so wanted to jes pick up
> a small bottle at the sprmkt to avoid having to drive to the health
> food store. I almost did it. That is, until I looked at the "per
> ounce" cost on the shelf sticker and it turned out to be jes a hair
> under $50.00USD per oz! It's only about $.89USD per oz, at the HFS.
>
> Easy choice. I drove to the HFS.
>
> nb.

I gave my Bay plant to friends on the coast and when i visit them, I
take a few branches (it grows so fast that they are always cutting it
back) and hang them to dry in my basement.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 09:59:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
>where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>
>It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>
>Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
>constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>
>I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
>was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
>of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>
>Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
>Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
>a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>
>Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
>old spice jars that I have.
>
>Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
>It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
>It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> http://heritagestore.com/

They don't have a herbs/spices heading... I tried putting common
herbs/spices into their Search and nothing! Seems they mainly sell
weirdo OTC pharmaceuticals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 09:59:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
>where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>
>It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>
>Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
>constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>
>I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
>was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
>of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>
>Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
>Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
>a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>
>Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
>old spice jars that I have.
>
>Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
>It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
>It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> http://heritagestore.com/

I made a spice run recently also. I had to replace or replenish some
of my Indian spices. I'm afraid I didn't exercise as much restraint as
you did though, I came close to breaking the bank ;-)

Spices, lentils, dal and more
https://flic.kr/p/QnJdm9
and some cookware
https://flic.kr/p/QLoXfD

I had to rearrange and make some room in my tiny kitchen for the
additions. I pulled out my spice boxes, emptied the spice drawer and
threw out old spices and replenished the spices I was out of. It was a
huge project but I'm all reorganized and have everything handy again.
https://flic.kr/p/QLqcFk

Glad I don't have to do that again any time soon. ;-)

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:35:53 -0800, koko > wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 09:59:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
>>where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>>I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>>
>>It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>>
>>Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
>>constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>>
>>I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
>>was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
>>of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>>
>>Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
>>Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
>>a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>>
>>Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
>>old spice jars that I have.
>>
>>Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
>>It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
>>It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
>> http://heritagestore.com/

>I made a spice run recently also. I had to replace or replenish some
>of my Indian spices. I'm afraid I didn't exercise as much restraint as
>you did though, I came close to breaking the bank ;-)
>
>Spices, lentils, dal and more
>https://flic.kr/p/QnJdm9
>and some cookware
>https://flic.kr/p/QLoXfD
>
>I had to rearrange and make some room in my tiny kitchen for the
>additions. I pulled out my spice boxes, emptied the spice drawer and
>threw out old spices and replenished the spices I was out of. It was a
>huge project but I'm all reorganized and have everything handy again.
>https://flic.kr/p/QLqcFk
>
>Glad I don't have to do that again any time soon. ;-)
>
>koko

I'm out of cloves and can't get to the store It's been so cold, dry
and snowy here that the indoor heat really does a number on nasal
passages and eyes. I've been simmering orange peel, cloves and
cinnamon sticks on the stove top to return some moisture to the air --
also smells good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 12:56:31 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:35:53 -0800, koko > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 09:59:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
>>>where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>>>I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>>>
>>>It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>>>
>>>Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
>>>constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>>>
>>>I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
>>>was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
>>>of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>>>
>>>Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
>>>Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
>>>a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>>>
>>>Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
>>>old spice jars that I have.
>>>
>>>Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
>>>It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
>>>It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
>>> http://heritagestore.com/

>>I made a spice run recently also. I had to replace or replenish some
>>of my Indian spices. I'm afraid I didn't exercise as much restraint as
>>you did though, I came close to breaking the bank ;-)
>>
>>Spices, lentils, dal and more
>>https://flic.kr/p/QnJdm9
>>and some cookware
>>https://flic.kr/p/QLoXfD
>>
>>I had to rearrange and make some room in my tiny kitchen for the
>>additions. I pulled out my spice boxes, emptied the spice drawer and
>>threw out old spices and replenished the spices I was out of. It was a
>>huge project but I'm all reorganized and have everything handy again.
>>https://flic.kr/p/QLqcFk
>>
>>Glad I don't have to do that again any time soon. ;-)
>>
>>koko

>I'm out of cloves and can't get to the store It's been so cold, dry
>and snowy here that the indoor heat really does a number on nasal
>passages and eyes. I've been simmering orange peel, cloves and
>cinnamon sticks on the stove top to return some moisture to the air --
>also smells good.
>Janet US

That sounds wonderful. I think I'll try that sometime.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> They don't have a herbs/spices heading... I tried putting common
> herbs/spices into their Search and nothing! Seems they mainly sell
> weirdo OTC pharmaceuticals.

Here's a better web page:
http://heritagenaturalmarket.com/food-store/2714654
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> They don't have a herbs/spices heading... I tried putting common
>> herbs/spices into their Search and nothing! Seems they mainly sell
>> weirdo OTC pharmaceuticals.

>Here's a better web page:
>http://heritagenaturalmarket.com/food-store/2714654

I still don't see a link to herbs and spices.
Post the herbs and spices link, and do they ship orders?
I suppose I could phone and ask but I figured you'd supply that info.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/5/2017 7:11 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> They don't have a herbs/spices heading... I tried putting common
>>> herbs/spices into their Search and nothing! Seems they mainly sell
>>> weirdo OTC pharmaceuticals.

>> Here's a better web page:
>> http://heritagenaturalmarket.com/food-store/2714654

> I still don't see a link to herbs and spices.
> Post the herbs and spices link, and do they ship orders?
> I suppose I could phone and ask but I figured you'd supply that info.

Chances are it's strictly a local business that doesn't ship to other
states. Local businesses often do have web sites, you know. Carol
(cshenk) seems to live close enough to Gary visit the store in person if
she's interested.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/5/2017 12:31 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-01-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> 3-4 bottles of herbs and spices, and I can refill most of those for
>> under $1 apiece, as opposed to $2-4 that it would cost for one bottle.

> I've been advocating buy bulk spices at health food store, fer yrs.
>
> I'll tell you why. I was out of bay leaves, so wanted to jes pick up
> a small bottle at the sprmkt to avoid having to drive to the health
> food store. I almost did it. That is, until I looked at the "per
> ounce" cost on the shelf sticker and it turned out to be jes a hair
> under $50.00USD per oz! It's only about $.89USD per oz, at the HFS.
>
> Easy choice. I drove to the HFS.
>
> nb.

Sez U, who *hz* a HFS nearby.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> I was out of a few things and running low on others.

What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices? Having to discard a
good portion of stuff because its lost its potency over time would have
some effect on the actual price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> > where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> > I was out of a few things and running low on others.
> >

> What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices? Having to discard a
> good portion of stuff because its lost its potency over time would have
> some effect on the actual price.

I hope I was using the right term when I say 'bulk selling'.

Each spice/herb is in a gallon size wide mouth jug.
It's self serve. Scoop out as much as you want into
the provided plastic bags, twist tie it and label it.
(honor system there).

The beauty of bulk selling is that the customer gets to choose the
amount. In my case, I often buy *less* than a standard amount. I just
scoop out as much as I'll need in the next few months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2017 2:51 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Gary > wrote in :
>
>> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
>> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>> I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>>

> What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices? Having to discard a
> good portion of stuff because its lost its potency over time would have
> some effect on the actual price.

Most herbs are good for about a year. You can save money per ounce
buying larger quantities, but I have tossed some that lost flavor. '

Spices tend to last longer, especially if not ground until used..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/5/2017 12:31 PM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2017-01-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
> >
> >> 3-4 bottles of herbs and spices, and I can refill most of those for
> >> under $1 apiece, as opposed to $2-4 that it would cost for one bottle.

> > I've been advocating buy bulk spices at health food store, fer yrs.
> >
> > I'll tell you why. I was out of bay leaves, so wanted to jes pick up
> > a small bottle at the sprmkt to avoid having to drive to the health
> > food store. I almost did it. That is, until I looked at the "per
> > ounce" cost on the shelf sticker and it turned out to be jes a hair
> > under $50.00USD per oz! It's only about $.89USD per oz, at the HFS.
> >
> > Easy choice. I drove to the HFS.
> >
> > nb.
> >

> Sez U, who *hz* a HFS nearby.

Luckily, I do! And it's only about 1/4 mile away. No need to drive there
in nice weather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:

>What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices?

Depends on several factors; which ones, whether whole or ground, and
where/how stored. The most important longiviety feature is from where
purchased. Many merchants, especially those selling bulk, take no
precautions for maintaining freshness, their products are stored in
large open cannisters and are handled by the public with unwashed
hands... like feeding from a gross salad bar.. those products are
already damaged when purchased. The reliable merchants store their
products in controlled humidors and are handled/processed/packaged by
trained employees.

>Having to discard a good portion of stuff because its lost its potency
>over time would have some effect on the actual price.

And negatively affect the dish in which they're used, therefore
wasting all other ingredients in the dish. I've found that with
purchasing herbs and spices "You get what you pay for" is a maxim to
believe. The few pennies more for quality product is well worth the
expense, store in tight lidded glass jars away from heat and light,
and freeze excess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 12:09:11 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>
>>What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices?

>Depends on several factors; which ones, whether whole or ground, and
>where/how stored. The most important longiviety feature is from where
>purchased. Many merchants, especially those selling bulk, take no
>precautions for maintaining freshness, their products are stored in
>large open cannisters and are handled by the public with unwashed
>hands... like feeding from a gross salad bar.. those products are
>already damaged when purchased. The reliable merchants store their
>products in controlled humidors and are handled/processed/packaged by
>trained employees.

Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
York is uncivilized.

>>Having to discard a good portion of stuff because its lost its potency
>>over time would have some effect on the actual price.

>And negatively affect the dish in which they're used, therefore
>wasting all other ingredients in the dish. I've found that with
>purchasing herbs and spices "You get what you pay for" is a maxim to
>believe. The few pennies more for quality product is well worth the
>expense, store in tight lidded glass jars away from heat and light,
>and freeze excess.

Herbs? I've only heard you say which herbs taste like the underside
of your lawnmower. I don't believe you use herbs . . . spices yes,
but no herbs.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-06, Gary > wrote:

> The beauty of bulk selling is......

THere can be a downside, too.

I recall buying some bulk spices from Whole Paycheck. Turns out some
of those bulk spices had weevils. I hadda toss my entire spice cache,
and other items, as the weevils quickly spread throughout my
cupboards.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-06, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
> to such awful conditions for food?

Howzabout Whole Foods!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Jan 2017 18:00:31 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-01-06, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>

>> Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
>> to such awful conditions for food?

>Howzabout Whole Foods!

You are judging a whole brand forever because of one incident. You
could have gotten weevils in a commercial package. I once brought
home a 50 pound bag of name brand dog food that was visibly moving
with bugs and worms. I took it back to the store. The buggy food has
never happened again with that brand or that store.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:00:08 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
>
> Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
> constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.

Hmmmmm, the spices I get at the grocery are not stale as they are
packed in sealed bottles.

> Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
> Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
> a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.

Yes, it would smell quite strong as what you brought home
was in a bag and not sealed from air such as a bottle.

> Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
> old spice jars that I have.

Glad you are transferring your spices to bottles and if
you have one of those vacuum sealers that would be great
for any extra spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-06, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> You are judging a whole brand forever because of one incident.

More than one.

You jes wanna argue. Have fun.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i never throw a spice out, frugal me...

yes,
spice may lose some over the years, but
it still has some/most of what you want...

smell it before throwing it away;
you may still get most of what you want, in terms of flavor, aroma, etc

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:39:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 12:09:11 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>>
>>>What's the shelf life of the various herbs and spices?

>>Depends on several factors; which ones, whether whole or ground, and
>>where/how stored. The most important longiviety feature is from where
>>purchased. Many merchants, especially those selling bulk, take no
>>precautions for maintaining freshness, their products are stored in
>>large open cannisters and are handled by the public with unwashed
>>hands... like feeding from a gross salad bar.. those products are
>>already damaged when purchased. The reliable merchants store their
>>products in controlled humidors and are handled/processed/packaged by
>>trained employees.
>>

>Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
>to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
>York is uncivilized.

Anywhere selling bulk where customers help themselves is highly
unsanitary. I'll buy produce where folks help themselves because
produce is easy to wash, but herbs and spices can't be washed.

>>>Having to discard a good portion of stuff because its lost its potency
>>>over time would have some effect on the actual price.

>>And negatively affect the dish in which they're used, therefore
>>wasting all other ingredients in the dish. I've found that with
>>purchasing herbs and spices "You get what you pay for" is a maxim to
>>believe. The few pennies more for quality product is well worth the
>>expense, store in tight lidded glass jars away from heat and light,
>>and freeze excess.

>Herbs? I've only heard you say which herbs taste like the underside
>of your lawnmower.

That would be mint, I have patches of peppermint and spearmint in my
lawn, I despise mint... I won't use mint toothpaste, my favorite is
Tom's of Maine fennel flavored.

>I don't believe you use herbs . . . spices yes,
>but no herbs.
>Janet US

I use lots of herbs but I won't buy them from a public bulk bin where
the entire world dips in with their scuzzy paws... I don't want those
even for free. I buy institutional sizes from BJs and some blends
from Penzys that I can't buy anywhere else. I don't comprehend the
logic of buying a $20 roast and sprinkling it with four cents worth of
stale scuzzy bulk spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

21blackswan wrote:

>i never throw a spice out, frugal me...
>yes, spice may lose some over the years, but
>it still has some/most of what you want...
>
>smell it before throwing it away;
>you may still get most of what you want, in terms of flavor, aroma, etc

WTF are you mumbling about, smelling pussy before you dive in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:43:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:39:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 12:09:11 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>Depends on several factors; which ones, whether whole or ground, and
>>>where/how stored. The most important longiviety feature is from where
>>>purchased. Many merchants, especially those selling bulk, take no
>>>precautions for maintaining freshness, their products are stored in
>>>large open cannisters and are handled by the public with unwashed
>>>hands... like feeding from a gross salad bar.. those products are
>>>already damaged when purchased. The reliable merchants store their
>>>products in controlled humidors and are handled/processed/packaged by
>>>trained employees.
>>>

>>Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
>>to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
>>York is uncivilized.

>Anywhere selling bulk where customers help themselves is highly
>unsanitary. I'll buy produce where folks help themselves because
>produce is easy to wash, but herbs and spices can't be washed.

>>>And negatively affect the dish in which they're used, therefore
>>>wasting all other ingredients in the dish. I've found that with
>>>purchasing herbs and spices "You get what you pay for" is a maxim to
>>>believe. The few pennies more for quality product is well worth the
>>>expense, store in tight lidded glass jars away from heat and light,
>>>and freeze excess.

>>Herbs? I've only heard you say which herbs taste like the underside
>>of your lawnmower.

>That would be mint, I have patches of peppermint and spearmint in my
>lawn, I despise mint... I won't use mint toothpaste, my favorite is
>Tom's of Maine fennel flavored.
>
>>I don't believe you use herbs . . . spices yes,
>>but no herbs.
>>Janet US

>I use lots of herbs but I won't buy them from a public bulk bin where
>the entire world dips in with their scuzzy paws... I don't want those
>even for free. I buy institutional sizes from BJs and some blends
>from Penzys that I can't buy anywhere else. I don't comprehend the
>logic of buying a $20 roast and sprinkling it with four cents worth of
>stale scuzzy bulk spices.

None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door. You live
around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
stock stuff that doesn't move.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote in
:

> Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
> to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
> York is uncivilized.

Doesn't happen often, but this time I completely agree with Sheldon.
People from good families, who went to the best schools, who have Ph.D.s,
and are on the boards of directors of national charities still don't always
wash their hands after using the bathroom. And their snotty-nosed brats
who open the bins and stick their hands into the product may not have been
sanitized before Mommy took them shopping.

As far as hinterlands being uncivilized, my first wife's family were West
Virginia hillbillies living in a "holler" near a town that was very upscale
because it had a traffic light, and they were amongst the cleanest people I
ever met.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-07 1:47 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
> from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door.

The bulk sales around here tend to have small bins with scoops. The
only ones that are drop down are for coffee.

> You live
> around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
> the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
> filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
> stock stuff that doesn't move.

I know they are constantly re-filling the bins in the Bulk Barn because
there are always one or two people doing that when I am there. Some of
the bins for things like flour and sugar look huge, but they have false
bottoms on them. What looks big enough to hold 200 lb of product might
only have 20 lb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:24:15 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-01-07 1:47 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
>> from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door.

>The bulk sales around here tend to have small bins with scoops. The
>only ones that are drop down are for coffee.

snip

candy, nuts, rice, beans, pasta, coffee, snack mix, breakfast cereal,
oats and breakfast grains, assorted grain, sugar, I know there are
more.
> > You live
>> around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
>> the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
>> filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
>> stock stuff that doesn't move.
>>

>I know they are constantly re-filling the bins in the Bulk Barn because
>there are always one or two people doing that when I am there. Some of
>the bins for things like flour and sugar look huge, but they have false
>bottoms on them. What looks big enough to hold 200 lb of product might
>only have 20 lb.

That's because they want you to scoop, not crawl into the container.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-01-07 11:04 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:24:15 -0500, Dave Smith

>> I know they are constantly re-filling the bins in the Bulk Barn because
>> there are always one or two people doing that when I am there. Some of
>> the bins for things like flour and sugar look huge, but they have false
>> bottoms on them. What looks big enough to hold 200 lb of product might
>> only have 20 lb.
>>

> That's because they want you to scoop, not crawl into the container.

Or fall in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:47:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:43:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:39:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
>>>to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
>>>York is uncivilized.

>>Anywhere selling bulk where customers help themselves is highly
>>unsanitary. I'll buy produce where folks help themselves because
>>produce is easy to wash, but herbs and spices can't be washed.

>>>Herbs? I've only heard you say which herbs taste like the underside
>>>of your lawnmower.

>>That would be mint, I have patches of peppermint and spearmint in my
>>lawn, I despise mint... I won't use mint toothpaste, my favorite is
>>Tom's of Maine fennel flavored.
>>
>>>I don't believe you use herbs . . . spices yes,
>>>but no herbs.
>>>Janet US

>>I use lots of herbs but I won't buy them from a public bulk bin where
>>the entire world dips in with their scuzzy paws... I don't want those
>>even for free. I buy institutional sizes from BJs and some blends
>>from Penzys that I can't buy anywhere else. I don't comprehend the
>>logic of buying a $20 roast and sprinkling it with four cents worth of
>>stale scuzzy bulk spices.

>None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
>from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door. You live
>around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
>the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
>filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
>stock stuff that doesn't move.
>Janet US

I've never seen such a contraption, all I've seen anywhere are like 1
gallon slant top cannisters with a small scoop. The BJs I shop has a
large section that contains institutional sized containers of spices
and herbs, all sealed with tamper proof lids, those are what I buy and
keep in my freezer for refilling my small jars. Buying these costs
about half Penzey's prices and they have a large turn over as many
restaurants buy the
http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
The tall rectangular containers don't waste storage space.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Again, I have to ask. Where the heck do you shop that you are exposed
>> to such awful conditions for food? Apparently the hinterland of New
>> York is uncivilized.
>>

>Doesn't happen often, but this time I completely agree with Sheldon.
>People from good families, who went to the best schools, who have Ph.D.s,
>and are on the boards of directors of national charities still don't always
>wash their hands after using the bathroom. And their snotty-nosed brats
>who open the bins and stick their hands into the product may not have been
>sanitized before Mommy took them shopping.
>
>As far as hinterlands being uncivilized, my first wife's family were West
>Virginia hillbillies living in a "holler" near a town that was very upscale
>because it had a traffic light, and they were amongst the cleanest people I
>ever met.

Very true, I've found inner city people have the poorest personal
hygiene, they're used to living all crowded together like lab rats.
There are no open bin bulk spices sold anywhere near where I live, the
big box stores I shop here in the boondocks sell bulk herbs and spices
this way, all in tamperproof containers:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:39:00 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:47:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:43:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>Anywhere selling bulk where customers help themselves is highly
>>>unsanitary. I'll buy produce where folks help themselves because
>>>produce is easy to wash, but herbs and spices can't be washed.

>>>That would be mint, I have patches of peppermint and spearmint in my
>>>lawn, I despise mint... I won't use mint toothpaste, my favorite is
>>>Tom's of Maine fennel flavored.

>>>I use lots of herbs but I won't buy them from a public bulk bin where
>>>the entire world dips in with their scuzzy paws... I don't want those
>>>even for free. I buy institutional sizes from BJs and some blends
>>>from Penzys that I can't buy anywhere else. I don't comprehend the
>>>logic of buying a $20 roast and sprinkling it with four cents worth of
>>>stale scuzzy bulk spices.

>>None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
>>from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door. You live
>>around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
>>the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
>>filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
>>stock stuff that doesn't move.
>>Janet US

>I've never seen such a contraption, all I've seen anywhere are like 1
>gallon slant top cannisters with a small scoop. The BJs I shop has a
>large section that contains institutional sized containers of spices
>and herbs, all sealed with tamper proof lids, those are what I buy and
>keep in my freezer for refilling my small jars. Buying these costs
>about half Penzey's prices and they have a large turn over as many
>restaurants buy the
>http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
>The tall rectangular containers don't waste storage space.

However, one great big caveat . . . you can't beat Penzey's for the
tastiest, largest, freshest smelling bay leaves.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:50:24 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
snip the
>big box stores I shop here in the boondocks sell bulk herbs and spices
>this way, all in tamperproof containers:
>http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg

I can get those containers at Costco and Cash and Carry. I get
peppercorns, chili powder and garlic powder that way just because they
are more convenient for my frequent use. I wouldn't get oregano or
cloves etc., in a container like that. They'd get old before I used
it all. Dried parsley and dill have no flavor. I freeze my own fresh
each year.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 12:39:07 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:47:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 17:43:52 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:

> >>Anywhere selling bulk where customers help themselves is highly
> >>unsanitary. I'll buy produce where folks help themselves because
> >>produce is easy to wash, but herbs and spices can't be washed.

> >>That would be mint, I have patches of peppermint and spearmint in my
> >>lawn, I despise mint... I won't use mint toothpaste, my favorite is
> >>Tom's of Maine fennel flavored.

> >>I use lots of herbs but I won't buy them from a public bulk bin where
> >>the entire world dips in with their scuzzy paws... I don't want those
> >>even for free. I buy institutional sizes from BJs and some blends
> >>from Penzys that I can't buy anywhere else. I don't comprehend the
> >>logic of buying a $20 roast and sprinkling it with four cents worth of
> >>stale scuzzy bulk spices.

> >None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop down
> >from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door. You live
> >around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have to wait behind
> >the employee that is refilling the bulk bins. Sometimes they are
> >filled twice daily. My shops know their customers well and don't
> >stock stuff that doesn't move.
> >Janet US

> I've never seen such a contraption, all I've seen anywhere are like 1
> gallon slant top cannisters with a small scoop. The BJs I shop has a
> large section that contains institutional sized containers of spices
> and herbs, all sealed with tamper proof lids, those are what I buy and
> keep in my freezer for refilling my small jars. Buying these costs
> about half Penzey's prices and they have a large turn over as many
> restaurants buy the
> http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
> The tall rectangular containers don't waste storage space.

Even the little Middle Eastern market across from my office has
these:

<http://www.canstockphoto.com/bulk-food-dispenser-8504799.html>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2017 2:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> Buying these costs
>> about half Penzey's prices and they have a large turn over as many
>> restaurants buy the
>> http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
>> The tall rectangular containers don't waste storage space.

> However, one great big caveat . . . you can't beat Penzey's for the
> tastiest, largest, freshest smelling bay leaves.
> Janet US

We do buy some of the containers and have good results with garlic
powder, onion powder, but 75% of what we buy is Penzeys. We know it is
as good as available anywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 5:00:08 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>
> It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>
> Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
> constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>
> I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
> was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
> of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>
> Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
> Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
> a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>
> Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
> old spice jars that I have.
>
> Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
> It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
> It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> http://heritagestore.com/

I'm a happy Hawaiian cook. We never learned to cook with very many herbs and spices. If I want to make spaghetti sauce, I'll reach for a big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. If I want to make pizza, I use the big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. I don't know what the heck is in that big container but it tastes Italianish. To make chili, I use cumin and SS seasoning. In that case, it tastes Mexicanish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:39:00 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:47:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> > wrote:

> > > None of my shops have bulk that allows dipping. It's all drop
> > > down from a release door into a bag you hold beneath the door.
> > > You live around some pretty old fashioned stuff. I usually have
> > > to wait behind the employee that is refilling the bulk bins.
> > > Sometimes they are filled twice daily. My shops know their
> > > customers well and don't stock stuff that doesn't move.
> > > Janet US

> > I've never seen such a contraption, all I've seen anywhere are like
> > 1 gallon slant top cannisters with a small scoop. The BJs I shop
> > has a large section that contains institutional sized containers of
> > spices and herbs, all sealed with tamper proof lids, those are what
> > I buy and keep in my freezer for refilling my small jars. Buying
> > these costs about half Penzey's prices and they have a large turn
> > over as many restaurants buy the
> > http://i65.tinypic.com/2qvdx84.jpg
> > The tall rectangular containers don't waste storage space.

> However, one great big caveat . . . you can't beat Penzey's for the
> tastiest, largest, freshest smelling bay leaves.
> Janet US

Maybe, but I no longer shop there after their highly unprofessional use
of customer emails accounts (there to track shippage) to call 50% of
the USA 'racists' if they voted a particular way in the presidential
election. They didnt do that once, they did it 3 times before I cut
all services.

I am happy with Savory Spices now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 5:00:08 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> > where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> > I was out of a few things and running low on others.
> >
> > It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
> >
> > Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
> > constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
> >
> > I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
> > was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
> > of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
> >
> > Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
> > Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
> > a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
> >
> > Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
> > old spice jars that I have.
> >
> > Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
> > It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
> > It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> > http://heritagestore.com/

> I'm a happy Hawaiian cook. We never learned to cook with very many
> herbs and spices. If I want to make spaghetti sauce, I'll reach for a
> big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. If I want to make pizza,
> I use the big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. I don't know
> what the heck is in that big container but it tastes Italianish. To
> make chili, I use cumin and SS seasoning. In that case, it tastes
> Mexicanish.

Gary, we have. WAY TOO LIMITED stock for us at that store. It's been
checked out already. DS1, noted that in Hawaii, spices are not at the
forfront much.

Let Culinary Herbs Spice Up Your Life Preston Wilson Coffee 0 23-05-2010 10:36 PM
Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop Andy[_2_] General Cooking 27 12-10-2008 04:33 PM
herbs elaine General Cooking 54 19-09-2007 08:11 PM
Herbs TammyM[_1_] General Cooking 40 20-02-2007 07:53 PM
Herbs. Help please. The Joneses Preserving 1 03-10-2003 12:09 AM