Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make extra gravy?

At one Thanksgiving dinner I went to, there were seven of us, so as you might expect, the gravy made from one turkey wasn't enough to go around.

One could always buy extra gravy, of course. Maybe one of the fancier stores would have something good at the deli counter. But, assuming such a store is not in the area, and that no canned or powdered gravy is all that great as a back-up (at least not in your house), what recipe would you suggest? Thank you.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 01:58:00 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> At one Thanksgiving dinner I went to, there were seven of us, so as you might expect, the gravy made from one turkey wasn't enough to go around.
>>
>> One could always buy extra gravy, of course. Maybe one of the fancier stores would have something good at the deli counter. But, assuming such a store is not in the area, and that no canned or powdered gravy is all that great as a back-up (at least not in your house), what recipe would you suggest? Thank you.
>>

> I can't imagine not being able to make enough gravy for seven people,
>if they'd roasted a turkey there must have been loads of pan juices.

Agreed. Even from a small turkey (12 lb hen) I can easily produce two
quarts of rich gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

As with other posters, I plan for it ahead of time.

The week before TG, part of my prep is to buy some turkey necks and
wings. These I roast and, with onion, carrots, and a few spices, make
a strong stock/broth overnight. Usually yields about 4 1/2 qts. This
suffices for the potato recipe and green beans and gravy for TG and
Christmas dinners.

We always roast the bird in a Weber kettle, saving the strongly
flavored drippings. I almost always have a little of the drippings
left over in the freezer.

Gravy is made from a mixture of the stock/broth and 1/2 Cup or so of
the drippings liquid added to a roue of butter and the fat from the
drippings. If you need more gravy, there is more stock and more
drippings up to maybe 2 1/2 quarts. We have never needed more than
that though if a bigger crowd than usual was expected, I would just
make more stock in the first place.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:46:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>At one Thanksgiving dinner I went to, there were seven of us, so as you might expect, the gravy made from one turkey wasn't enough to go around.
>
>One could always buy extra gravy, of course. Maybe one of the fancier stores would have something good at the deli counter. But, assuming such a store is not in the area, and that no canned or powdered gravy is all that great as a back-up (at least not in your house), what recipe would you suggest? Thank you.
>

>Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 01:58:00 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> At one Thanksgiving dinner I went to, there were seven of us, so as you might expect, the gravy made from one turkey wasn't enough to go around.
>>
>> One could always buy extra gravy, of course. Maybe one of the fancier stores would have something good at the deli counter. But, assuming such a store is not in the area, and that no canned or powdered gravy is all that great as a back-up (at least not in your house), what recipe would you suggest? Thank you.
>>

> I can't imagine not being able to make enough gravy for seven people,
>if they'd roasted a turkey there must have been loads of pan juices.

Worse case scenario, throw in some boxed chicken stock.

My secret ingredient to make any kind of gravy taste better/richer:
sherry. You can use either sweet or dry sherry, it doesn't matter. Add
it to the drippings and reduce it down a bit, then add the stock, then
add whatever you are using to thicken it. (I like potato starch, aka
Veloutine.)

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 2:11:04 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:46:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >At one Thanksgiving dinner I went to, there were seven of us, so as you might expect, the gravy made from one turkey wasn't enough to go around.
> >
> >One could always buy extra gravy, of course. Maybe one of the fancier stores would have something good at the deli counter. But, assuming such a store is not in the area, and that no canned or powdered gravy is all that great as a back-up (at least not in your house), what recipe would you suggest? Thank you.
> >

> >Lenona.

> Before Thanksgiving look around in the supermarkets for extra turkey
> necks, and wings . Roast them a couple of days before thanksgiving.
> Save the fond from the pan, save the necks and wings and cook them in
> water together with the neck and giblets from the raw Thanksgiving
> bird. Save the resulting broth, add to the pan drippings in the
> Thanksgiving bird pan and adjust the amount and taste with the water
> from boiling the potatoes. Thicken as usual.
> That should give you a lot of good tasting gravy.
> Janet US

I second this suggestion.

When I roast a turkey, I do it in the open (no foil, no lid). There
isn't much stuff in the pan (it's mostly in the turkey), but it's
extremely flavorful. To eke it out, I add turkey stock that I've
made in advance.

We freeze the leftover gravy, and my husband has it whenever he
wants gravy. (His go-to meal for an upset stomach is rice,
poultry, and gravy. Our gravy is pretty well defatted and not
terribly thick; we use a cornstarch slurry rather than a flour
roux.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:07:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Agreed. Even from a small turkey (12 lb hen) I can easily produce two
> quarts of rich gravy.

A little hard to imagine. All I know is, there were barely two cups. (I didn't prepare it.)

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 12:32:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:07:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > Agreed. Even from a small turkey (12 lb hen) I can easily produce two
> > quarts of rich gravy.

> A little hard to imagine. All I know is, there were barely two cups. (I didn't prepare it.)
>

> Lenona.

It's plain to see the cook at that feast didn't know how to make
more gravy and stretch it out with more boxed/canned broth. And
if 2 cups of gravy were not enough for seven people then someone
was pouring it on too heavily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 17:55:27 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 12:32:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:07:56 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>> > Agreed. Even from a small turkey (12 lb hen) I can easily produce two
>> > quarts of rich gravy.

>> A little hard to imagine. All I know is, there were barely two cups. (I didn't prepare it.)
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

>It's plain to see the cook at that feast didn't know how to make
>more gravy and stretch it out with more boxed/canned broth. And
>if 2 cups of gravy were not enough for seven people then someone
>was pouring it on too heavily.

I start turkey gravy in a four quart pot by simmering onions, celery,
and carrots with the neck and gizards, along with the fat trimmings
from the bird. Once the turkey is cooked I add all the drippings to
the pot. I add some corn starch slurry and adjust the seasonings. By
the time I'm done that 4 qt pot is about full so I let it simmer to
reduce it some. It's very easy to get three qts of gravy from a
turkey, and I typically cook a small hen, about 12 pounds. The turkey
flavor comes mostly from the drippings.