Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Some USIANs opinion of England and the English <g>

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:38:26 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-12-09 6:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>> works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>> is 25 years old.

>If it is an electric dryer it would be on a separate circuit. Washing
>machines run on a 110V circuit and dryers on 220V.
>
>> I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>> thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>> from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
>> forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>> them.

>Never the less, it was a wise idea to check the breaker first. Since it
>is 25 years old you can ignore my suggestion about the electronics. It
>is more likely something wrong with the switch, and you may or may not
>be able to get a replacement part, but at 25 years... not so likely.

If her repairman goes to a business that specializes in repair and
replacement parts he ought to be able to get a switch. They are
fairly generic. My husband was repairing washer and dryer that was 37
years old.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 12/9/2016 7:59 AM, Janet wrote:

>> I grew up with line dried laundry and I agree 100 percent.
>> Scratchy towels, stiff clothing.

> E£h? One of the prime reasons I like line drying is that the laundry
> gets so soft and smooth; cuddly towels and smooth wrinkle free sheets
> etc. I never need to use fabric conditioner, and the laundry smells
> wonderful, of fresh clean air.

Other people have mentioned it, some actually say they like it,
and they don't even live in the US so it's not some weird thing
we're doing. Perhaps it's very windy by you, or some other
factor that makes your experience different.

nancy

===============

Nancy we are all different and have different conditions! What is good for
you will not work for me and vice versa!

It really doesn't matter. I only asked because I was curious.

It gets harder and harder to ask questions here(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

> EEEK :-(((
>
> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?

Most houses all over the country have them. My house has them,
and a supplementary door (on the outside of the "real" door) that
is fitted with screens in the summer and glass in the winter.
That way we can get better ventilation on mild days.

I found this amusing article:

<http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/a-british-houseguest-guide-to-the-american-home>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 11:07:30 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-12-09 9:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:17:36 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> says...

> >> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
> >> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
> >> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
> >>
> >> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

> > I think the point he/she was trying to make is that "How about
> > in the US?" suggests that everywhere in the US has the same
> > conditions. However, I could read between the lines and
> > interpret it to mean "Anybody who wishes to answer--how about
> > in your area of the US?"

> You thought that???? When I saw the addressing the question about birds
> dropping bombs on laundry his answered You need to understand how BIG
> the US is to realize that question makes no sense." That made
> absolutely no sense to me.
>

> > Huh. And people accuse me of being too literal-minded.

> They do?

Notably my husband, when I don't get his jokes. He's gotten
so when he says something outrageous and I start glowering,
he tells me it was a joke. Then I think about it in that
light and laugh. I'm probably an AI that was programmed by
college students.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:46:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:50:10 PM UTC-5,
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Bras are hung out on one those multiple arms with clips
>> > thingies. In the wintertime they're still hung on this
>> > contraption but then it is hung on the shower curtain rod.

>> I pile a week's worth onto a regular coat hanger and hang
>> the coat hanger more-or-less in front of a heat register.
>> We run the furnace blower 24/7/365, so they dry pretty
>> quickly.
>>

> Bras go into the washer/dryer just like everything else.

Mine too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...

>> I believe the cockroaches are supposed to outlive everything.

> LOL, some of them are posting to rfc
>
> Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:21:54 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 12/9/2016 7:59 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>>> I grew up with line dried laundry and I agree 100 percent.
>>> Scratchy towels, stiff clothing.

>> E£h? One of the prime reasons I like line drying is that the laundry
>> gets so soft and smooth; cuddly towels and smooth wrinkle free sheets
>> etc. I never need to use fabric conditioner, and the laundry smells
>> wonderful, of fresh clean air.

>Other people have mentioned it, some actually say they like it,
>and they don't even live in the US so it's not some weird thing
>we're doing. Perhaps it's very windy by you, or some other
>factor that makes your experience different.
>
>nancy

Two things, before I came to the condo I lived in a house by the sea.
On days the wind was blowing the towels were softer, fresher than
dried in the dryer. However if the towels just hang there, no
breeze, then they will be hard.

There were pine trees within fifteen feet of the line and I never put
washing out when they were pollinating. They were such big
pollinators that there would be a wash or yellow/green on the beach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:19:46 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>> This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

>> EEEK :-(((
>>
>> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?
>>
>> Janet UK

> Down there? They are standard up here in the north. We have may
> flies, moskies, black fly and all sorts of bugs. Today it is snowing,
> the black flies burrowed in the base of the tree trunks love it.

I've never known a house that didn't have screens on windows that open,
doors too if people keep their doors open in the spring and summer,
otherwise there would be flies, mosquitoes etc. Yuck.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:53:33 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>> > This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

>> EEEK :-(((
>>
>> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?

>Most houses all over the country have them. My house has them,
>and a supplementary door (on the outside of the "real" door) that
>is fitted with screens in the summer and glass in the winter.
>That way we can get better ventilation on mild days.
>
>I found this amusing article:
>
><http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/a-british-houseguest-guide-to-the-american-home>
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I did chuckle
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 9:19:51 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> > This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

> EEEK :-(((
>
> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?

Most houses all over the country have them. My house has them,
and a supplementary door (on the outside of the "real" door) that
is fitted with screens in the summer and glass in the winter.
That way we can get better ventilation on mild days.

I found this amusing article:

<http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/a-british-houseguest-guide-to-the-american-home>

Cindy Hamilton

===============

LOL I can see that) I have lived in different countries (although not US)
in which those kind of problems were evident))

We soon get used to them)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...

>> I believe the cockroaches are supposed to outlive everything.

> LOL, some of them are posting to rfc
>
> Janet UK

==

You've noticed too huh?? <G>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 11:33 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> I found this amusing article:
>>
>> <http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/a-british-houseguest-guide-to-the-american-home>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I did chuckle
> Janet US

the last paragraph in that article: When my parents came to stay
many years ago, Dad peeled the taters and let the garbage disposal unit
handle the peelings. Of course it couldn't cope and we had to get a
plumber out on a holiday w/e to unblock the pipe.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message news
On 12/9/2016 11:33 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> I found this amusing article:
>>
>> <http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/05/a-british-houseguest-guide-to-the-american-home>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I did chuckle
> Janet US

the last paragraph in that article: When my parents came to stay
many years ago, Dad peeled the taters and let the garbage disposal unit
handle the peelings. Of course it couldn't cope and we had to get a
plumber out on a holiday w/e to unblock the pipe.
Graham

=================

The first hot country I lived in, the first time I went into my house I
threw open the windows because it was too hot.

Not for long .... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2016 7:23 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> There are kits for brushing out the inside of dryer ducts.

You can buy an attachment for the vacuum cleaner that sucks out lint
from dryer ducts, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:56:56 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/8/2016 11:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
>>> clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
>>> the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.

>> Did you check the circuit breaker?
>>
>>> I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair
>>> and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
>>> good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
>>> live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
>>> inconvenience.

>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker.

>I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>is 25 years old.
>
>> If it's the breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>> breaker.
>>

>I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead.

The washer and dryer would not be on the same circuit... your washer
operates at 115 Volts... your dryer operates at 220 Volts. Also to
Code nothing else should be on either of those circuits, those should
be dedicated lines, same way your electric stove is on it's own 220
Volt line and your fridge should be on it's own 115 Volt line. The
dryer is dead because it's breaker is dead. it's stuck in the open
position, it's kaput, no matter how many times you activate its switch
that circuit will not complete... the first thing to go on electric
dryers are the heating elements, not the motor. Call an electrician
to check it out, 220 Volts is something you do not want to screw with.

>It happens. Appliances do not last
>forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>them.

Likely doesn't cover your circuit breakers same as it doesn't cover
your light bulbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 6:18 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I've never known a house that didn't have screens on windows that open,
> doors too if people keep their doors open in the spring and summer,
> otherwise there would be flies, mosquitoes etc. Yuck.

My house in Scotland did not come with any screens. Standard US-style
fly screen wouldn't have been much use here, because the main problem is
teeny tiny midges, rather than flies. I bought no-see-um netting (as
used in tents), and made my own screens, attaching them with velcro.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 08:29:02 -0400, wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:56:56 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Did you check the circuit breaker?

>>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker.

>>I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>>works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>>is 25 years old.
>>
>>> If it's the breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>>> breaker.
>>>

>>I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>>thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>>from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
>>forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>>them.
>>
>>Jill

>First off, if it's 25 years old you're mad not to have replaced it
>already for newer, it is just sucking up the power! They are greatly
>improved in that way, 'fridges too, even more so!

Jill is doing laundry for one, I doubt she does more than one or two
loads a week... makes no economic sense to spend near about $400 on a
new dryer just to save maybe 25¢ in electric each billing period. My
dryer is more than 25 years old but it's not going in the trash unless
it dies. I save far more on electric bills by switching to LED
lighting.

>Secondly those warranties cost you far more than normal replacement.
>Figure out how much you have paid over the years and the cost of a new
>dryer.

These days those plans are not expensive and it covers a lot more than
just her dryer. Amazon is selling extended warrantys... it cost me
$2.34 to double the two year manufacturer's warranty on the humidifier
I just ordered. I thought it was well worth the 0.2¢/day. These kind
of appliances run 24/7, odds are in favor it won't last four years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 08:10:51 -0400, wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 22:08:23 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> We all know why I couldn't hang wash outside *now* but yes, I've had
>>> clothes lines in the past. The only time I couldn't/wouldn't hang wash
>>> outside was early spring when the pollen gets all over everything. Oh,
>>> I didn't hang wash if it freezing outside, either.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> =================
>>>
>>> Heh nor do I! That is when the dryer definitely gets used
>>>

>>Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
>>clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
>>the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.
>>
>>I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair
>>and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
>>good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
>>live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
>>inconvenience.
>>
>>Jill

>You should put up a fight to have outdoor lines if you wish - there
>were subdivisions built here in the late 70s that had the ruling 'no
>lines' and with rising power costs five or six years ago that was over
>ruled and they can now have a line if they wish.

Jill does laundry for one, and she doesn't go to business, she
probably has very little laundry to deal with... she can probably get
by with one of those folding wooden laundry racks that set in the
bathtub. I have clothes lines in my basement, mostly used for the
outside cat's bedding (old cotton schmatahs).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 12:17:30 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> >You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question makes
>> >no sense.

>> Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
>> than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
>> but a small part of the United States.

> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
>amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
>washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>
> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.
>
> Janet UK

Pollen and bird poop has nothing to do with geographical size, has all
to do with local vegetation and avian populations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ophelia says...

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>

> I think they do the same thing. Cut out when the voltage gets too high.
> I know fuses from cars and 'circuit breakers' from the electrical box
> against the outside wall of our house. Is that different for you?
>
> =====================
>
> Our house and electrical system is quite old, which is why we still have a
> fuse box on the main electrical line into the house. The fuse box holds a
> range of fuses of differing ampage covering various circuits. e.g. the
> cooker, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, downstairs sockets, upstairs
> sockets, etc. Each fuse is fitted with a piece of fuse wire. if the circuit
> is overloaded this wire breaks and to repair it you have to pull out the
> fuse holder and replace the wire with a piece of the required ampage, which
> might be 10, 15, 20, 30 or 40. There is a manual mains switch that
> disconnects all power to the house but to disconnect any particular circuit
> e.g. if I wanted to install a new ceiling light in one of the rooms, I have
> to pull the relevant fuse. Newer houses would have a similar system but with
> trip switches instead of the fuses. Any devices that plug into an electrical
> socket will also have their own small fuse in the plug that goes into the
> socket. According to the type of device and its power requirement these are
> usually 1, 3, 5, or 13 amps.

Sounds like you need to know what you're doing with the old systems. I
had to flip a switch the other day after an electrical storm. That's
about the extent of my electrical knowledge, but I must have done a good
job because the fridge started working again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith says...

> On 2016-12-09 5:50 AM, Bruce wrote:
>
> > I think they do the same thing. Cut out when the voltage gets too high.
> > I know fuses from cars and 'circuit breakers' from the electrical box
> > against the outside wall of our house. Is that different for you?
> >

> It is the amperage that trips breakers and burns out fuses, not voltage.

I always confuse those two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, JBurns says...

> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 15:15:38 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:

> >> Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
> >> thought you would have better insults than that!
> >>
> >> Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
> >> in the house.

> >And that's your best insult? That's not very impressive.

> Was not trying to insult you, just stating a fact. If one does not
> know what one has in terms of appliances then one must surely be a
> ****ing idiot.

But at least I don't have the linguistic skills of a 6 year old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith says...

> On 2016-12-09 10:34 AM, JBurns wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 15:15:38 +1100, Bruce >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In article >, JBurns says...

> >> And that's your best insult? That's not very impressive.

> > Was not trying to insult you, just stating a fact. If one does not
> > know what one has in terms of appliances then one must surely be a
> > ****ing idiot.

> There is considerable truth to that.

We may have a second washing machine and a second vacuum cleaner in the
shed. I'm not sure and I don't care. But if these kind of things worry
you guys, all I can say is: each to their own!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 08:18:49 -0400, wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:13:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 11:02:33 +0800, JBurns >
>>wrote:

>>>Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>>>thought you would have better insults than that!
>>>
>>>Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>>>in the house.
>>>
>>>JB
>>>
>>><snip>

>>Somebody is having their period.

>How Trump-like!

That was the idea behind the comment, just playing along in the role
somebody wanted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 23:40:36 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:13:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 11:02:33 +0800, JBurns >
>>wrote:

>>>Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>>>thought you would have better insults than that!
>>>
>>>Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>>>in the house.
>>>
>>>JB
>>>
>>><snip>

>>Somebody is having their period.

>Oh. for goodness sake. They are getting worse.

<G>

>I pulled you up on your use of "Feminazi"because I know that you are
>better than that, and then you sank to this?

I guess you don't appreciate black humour, or can recognise it when
you see it. Would a wink emoticon have helped?

>My comment stands, Bruce must be an idiot if he knows not what his
>house holds!

Well, sure. I'd expect to know if I had a dryer too.

Maybe Bruce is a multi-millionaire, has servants. and has no need to
visit his own laundry. I hear he owns Amsterdam's largest clog
factory, ethically employing retired vegetarian brothel workers
remotely from his bunker in northern NSW.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...k-life-UK.html

>> >My wife was quite impressed with your green and pleasant land. She yearns to live there one day. That's the absolute truth.

>> I hope you don't have any life insurance cover.

> What on earth do you mean by that?

Just my sense of humour at work again. The implication was that his
wife wants to live in The U.K and Dsi1 never said he wanted to. So
she's either divorces him and leaves, or...

Ohh... you thought it was a slight on the U.K?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 2:17 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/9/2016 6:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I've never known a house that didn't have screens on windows that open,
>> doors too if people keep their doors open in the spring and summer,
>> otherwise there would be flies, mosquitoes etc. Yuck.
>>

> My house in Scotland did not come with any screens. Standard US-style
> fly screen wouldn't have been much use here, because the main problem is
> teeny tiny midges, rather than flies. I bought no-see-um netting (as
> used in tents), and made my own screens, attaching them with velcro.

I was visiting a friend who was living in the interior of BC and they
had no screens. They had a number of horses and the barn was pretty
close to the horse. Even with the horses and manure they did not have a
problem with flies in the house, and it is the only place I have been in
Canada where mosquitoes were not an issue in the summer. We don't have
a major problem with mosquitoes around our house, but I would not dream
of having windows open without a screen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Jeßus says...

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 23:40:36 +0800, JBurns >
> wrote:
>
> >I pulled you up on your use of "Feminazi"because I know that you are
> >better than that, and then you sank to this?

> I guess you don't appreciate black humour, or can recognise it when
> you see it. Would a wink emoticon have helped?
>
> >My comment stands, Bruce must be an idiot if he knows not what his
> >house holds!

> Well, sure. I'd expect to know if I had a dryer too.
>
> Maybe Bruce is a multi-millionaire, has servants. and has no need to
> visit his own laundry. I hear he owns Amsterdam's largest clog
> factory, ethically employing retired vegetarian brothel workers
> remotely from his bunker in northern NSW.

Very close. I think we have an icecream machine somewhere in a cupboard,
but I could be wrong. Is this shocking? I just tell a servant to get me
some icecream. I don't care how they do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 2:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In article >, JBurns says...
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 15:15:38 +1100, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>> Was not trying to insult you, just stating a fact. If one does not
>> know what one has in terms of appliances then one must surely be a
>> ****ing idiot.

> But at least I don't have the linguistic skills of a 6 year old.

Not yet.
;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:15:07 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 12/9/2016 9:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.
>>

>I had my fuses replaced with circuit breakers - I didn't want to have to
>fiddle around with fuse wire.

They're a hell of a lot more effective and safer too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 2:55 PM, Bruce wrote:

> But at least I don't have the linguistic skills of a 6 year old.

You can get that for free with a bottle of Crystal Palace.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ed Pawlowski says...

> On 12/9/2016 2:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

> > But at least I don't have the linguistic skills of a 6 year old.
> >

> You can get that for free with a bottle of Crystal Palace.

Oh no, JBurns too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:02:20 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Actually, I find spruce trees to be more of a pollen problem that the
>hardwood tree. I have dozens of trees on my property and when the spruce
>trees are pollinating there are sometimes clouds of green pollen that
>flout off in gusts of wind or when I brush under them while mowing the
>lawn. After a rain there will be layer of pollen on top of the puddles.

Much like some of the Radiata pine plantations in Tasmania, certain
times of year you can see thick clouds of pollen coming from them. It
looks especially freaky at night if you point a spotlight at the sky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 1:54 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:02:20 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Actually, I find spruce trees to be more of a pollen problem that the
>> hardwood tree. I have dozens of trees on my property and when the spruce
>> trees are pollinating there are sometimes clouds of green pollen that
>> flout off in gusts of wind or when I brush under them while mowing the
>> lawn. After a rain there will be layer of pollen on top of the puddles.

> Much like some of the Radiata pine plantations in Tasmania, certain
> times of year you can see thick clouds of pollen coming from them. It
> looks especially freaky at night if you point a spotlight at the sky.

It has been estimated that the Scandinavian conifer forests produce
75,000 tons of pollen per annum. That's nothing to sneeze at!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 19:28:24 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> >> ... On 12/7/2016 2:32 PM,

> use >> > the dryer

> >> The winds in Sutherland don't let any pollen or schmutz sit on the
> >> laundry (I have to use lots of clothes pegs to keep my sheets from
> >> flying off to Orkney), there aren't many cars and my drying green

> is >> a fair distance from the road. Very rarely a bird will drop a
> bomb on >> my laundry - the last time was about 6 years ago. ===
> >>
> >> How about in US?

> > You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question
> > makes no sense.

> Oh, I think the people you are responding to have some understanding
> of how big the US is. It was a question inviting a conversation.
> Speak of why you would or wouldn't hang wash out in your area.
> Janet US

Ah, well, here the problem trees in the back yard with lots of nesting
birds. I have some area thoug along the cul-de-sac by the side of the
house and we use that for blankets and comforters.

Back when I still had a garage (family room now), I had lines strung
across it in places and the heavy stuff would be dried on those then
fluffed in the dryer. Mostly I was trying to not waste energy too
much. We do a lot of little things towards that goal and it shows
because our bill is one of the lowest among my neighbors. The only
things I have in my house that aren't energystar are because they
predate that. HVAC and Ho****er heater (and the hot water heater is a
very efficient type that I think would have carried it, if they had
those markings then).

Even the windows, 2 sliding glass patio doors, and a french patio style
door are energystar rated. Combine that with winter use of a fireplace
to augment heat and good insulation, we don't get the huge bills our
neighbors do in winter either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:01:39 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 12/9/2016 1:54 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:02:20 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I find spruce trees to be more of a pollen problem that the
>>> hardwood tree. I have dozens of trees on my property and when the spruce
>>> trees are pollinating there are sometimes clouds of green pollen that
>>> flout off in gusts of wind or when I brush under them while mowing the
>>> lawn. After a rain there will be layer of pollen on top of the puddles.

>> Much like some of the Radiata pine plantations in Tasmania, certain
>> times of year you can see thick clouds of pollen coming from them. It
>> looks especially freaky at night if you point a spotlight at the sky.
>>

>It has been estimated that the Scandinavian conifer forests produce
>75,000 tons of pollen per annum. That's nothing to sneeze at!

That's a lot of pollen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:11:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:46:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >> I pile a week's worth onto a regular coat hanger and hang
> >> the coat hanger more-or-less in front of a heat register.
> >> We run the furnace blower 24/7/365, so they dry pretty
> >> quickly.
> >>

> > Bras go into the washer/dryer just like everything else.

> Mine too.

Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
T...

In article >, Ophelia says...

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>

> I think they do the same thing. Cut out when the voltage gets too high.
> I know fuses from cars and 'circuit breakers' from the electrical box
> against the outside wall of our house. Is that different for you?
>
> =====================
>
> Our house and electrical system is quite old, which is why we still have a
> fuse box on the main electrical line into the house. The fuse box holds a
> range of fuses of differing ampage covering various circuits. e.g. the
> cooker, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, downstairs sockets, upstairs
> sockets, etc. Each fuse is fitted with a piece of fuse wire. if the
> circuit
> is overloaded this wire breaks and to repair it you have to pull out the
> fuse holder and replace the wire with a piece of the required ampage,
> which
> might be 10, 15, 20, 30 or 40. There is a manual mains switch that
> disconnects all power to the house but to disconnect any particular
> circuit
> e.g. if I wanted to install a new ceiling light in one of the rooms, I
> have
> to pull the relevant fuse. Newer houses would have a similar system but
> with
> trip switches instead of the fuses. Any devices that plug into an
> electrical
> socket will also have their own small fuse in the plug that goes into the
> socket. According to the type of device and its power requirement these
> are
> usually 1, 3, 5, or 13 amps.

Sounds like you need to know what you're doing with the old systems. I
had to flip a switch the other day after an electrical storm. That's
about the extent of my electrical knowledge, but I must have done a good
job because the fridge started working again.

=====

Well, as I said elsewhere, modern houses here have trip switches)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKeBJ41fH4

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk