Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Some USIANs opinion of England and the English <g>

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 19:28:24 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> "S Viemeister" wrote in message
> >> ... On 12/7/2016 2:32 PM,

> >> The winds in Sutherland don't let any pollen or schmutz sit on the
> >> laundry (I have to use lots of clothes pegs to keep my sheets from
> >> flying off to Orkney), there aren't many cars and my drying green is
> >> a fair distance from the road. Very rarely a bird will drop a bomb on
> >> my laundry - the last time was about 6 years ago. ===
> >>
> >> How about in US?

> >You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question makes
> >no sense.

> Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
> than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
> but a small part of the United States.

I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?

Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:13:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 11:02:33 +0800, JBurns >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 05:42:07 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>LOL, the feminazis will love that comment

>>Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>>thought you would have better insults than that!
>>
>>Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>>in the house.
>>
>>JB
>>
>><snip>

>Somebody is having their period.

How Trump-like!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:02:54 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, Ophelia says...
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" muttered in message
>>
>> Did you check the circuit breaker?
>>
>> >I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair
>> >and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
>> >good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
>> >live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
>> >inconvenience.

>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker. If it's the
>> breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>> breaker.
>>
>> =================
>>
>> I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.

>Maybe 'circuit breaker' is American for fuse.

As I understand it - when I had a house with fuses, if one went then I
had to take it out and replace. Circuit breakers have switches at the
main panel which you slide in the opposite direction and then slide
back, far more convenient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:56:56 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/8/2016 11:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
>>> clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
>>> the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.

>> Did you check the circuit breaker?
>>
>>> I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair
>>> and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
>>> good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
>>> live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
>>> inconvenience.

>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker.

>I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>is 25 years old.
>
>> If it's the breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>> breaker.
>>

>I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
>forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>them.
>
>Jill

First off, if it's 25 years old you're mad not to have replaced it
already for newer, it is just sucking up the power! They are greatly
improved in that way, 'fridges too, even more so!

Secondly those warranties cost you far more than normal replacement.
Figure out how much you have paid over the years and the cost of a new
dryer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message

I think they do the same thing. Cut out when the voltage gets too high.
I know fuses from cars and 'circuit breakers' from the electrical box
against the outside wall of our house. Is that different for you?

=====================

Our house and electrical system is quite old, which is why we still have a
fuse box on the main electrical line into the house. The fuse box holds a
range of fuses of differing ampage covering various circuits. e.g. the
cooker, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, downstairs sockets, upstairs
sockets, etc. Each fuse is fitted with a piece of fuse wire. if the circuit
is overloaded this wire breaks and to repair it you have to pull out the
fuse holder and replace the wire with a piece of the required ampage, which
might be 10, 15, 20, 30 or 40. There is a manual mains switch that
disconnects all power to the house but to disconnect any particular circuit
e.g. if I wanted to install a new ceiling light in one of the rooms, I have
to pull the relevant fuse. Newer houses would have a similar system but with
trip switches instead of the fuses. Any devices that plug into an electrical
socket will also have their own small fuse in the plug that goes into the
socket. According to the type of device and its power requirement these are
usually 1, 3, 5, or 13 amps.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 4:31:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
> ... > >
> >Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
> >clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
> >the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.

> Did you check the circuit breaker?
>
> >I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair

> jmcquown wrote:

> >and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
> >good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
> >live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
> >inconvenience.

> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker. If it's the
> breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
> breaker.
>
> =================
>
> I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.

Fuses are considered somewhat antiquated technology here, although many
older houses still have them. Most older houses were provided with
a 60-amp service. Many of them have been upgraded to 100 amps, with
an upgrade from fuses to circuit breakers. My house was upgraded a
second time to 200 amps.

Cindy Hamilton

========

Our newer houses have trip switches.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 7:29 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:56:56 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Did you check the circuit breaker?

>>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker.

>> I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>> works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>> is 25 years old.
>>
>>> If it's the breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>>> breaker.
>>>

>> I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>> thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>>from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
>> forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

> First off, if it's 25 years old you're mad not to have replaced it
> already for newer, it is just sucking up the power! They are greatly
> improved in that way, 'fridges too, even more so!
>
> Secondly those warranties cost you far more than normal replacement.
> Figure out how much you have paid over the years and the cost of a new
> dryer.

I didn't buy the dryer, I "inherited" it. No need to replace it as long
as it was working. FWIW, when I rented my apartments (which I did most
of my adult life) I insisted it include a washer and a dryer.

I had my fill of hauling laundry to a wash & dry place when I was in my
early 20's. Never again.

As for the home warranty, the cost is minimal. It's much cheaper to pay
$45 service fee for a repairman to check it out and either fix it or
tell them to replace the dryer at *no cost* if it cannot be repaired.
It's a 25 year old dryer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:17:36 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

> > >You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question makes
> > >no sense.

> > Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
> > than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
> > but a small part of the United States.

> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>
> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

I think the point he/she was trying to make is that "How about
in the US?" suggests that everywhere in the US has the same
conditions. However, I could read between the lines and
interpret it to mean "Anybody who wishes to answer--how about
in your area of the US?"

Huh. And people accuse me of being too literal-minded.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 12/9/2016 7:29 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:56:56 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Did you check the circuit breaker?

>>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker.

>> I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
>> works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
>> is 25 years old.
>>
>>> If it's the breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so
>>> many years
>>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>>> breaker.
>>>

>> I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
>> thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
>>from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
>> forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

> First off, if it's 25 years old you're mad not to have replaced it
> already for newer, it is just sucking up the power! They are greatly
> improved in that way, 'fridges too, even more so!
>
> Secondly those warranties cost you far more than normal replacement.
> Figure out how much you have paid over the years and the cost of a new
> dryer.

I didn't buy the dryer, I "inherited" it. No need to replace it as long
as it was working. FWIW, when I rented my apartments (which I did most
of my adult life) I insisted it include a washer and a dryer.

I had my fill of hauling laundry to a wash & dry place when I was in my
early 20's. Never again.

As for the home warranty, the cost is minimal. It's much cheaper to pay
$45 service fee for a repairman to check it out and either fix it or
tell them to replace the dryer at *no cost* if it cannot be repaired.
It's a 25 year old dryer.

Jill

==================

Hey, whatever works for you. Nobody is going to buy you one ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 4:31:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
> > ... > >
> > >Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
> > >clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
> > >the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.

> > Did you check the circuit breaker?
> >
> > >I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair

> > jmcquown wrote:

> > >and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
> > >good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
> > >live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
> > >inconvenience.

> > I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
> > laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker. If it's the
> > breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
> > circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
> > all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
> > each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
> > eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
> > replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
> > It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
> > likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
> > knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
> > would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
> > breaker.
> >
> > =================
> >
> > I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.

> Fuses are considered somewhat antiquated technology here, although many
> older houses still have them.

Same here.

Our house has circuit breakers in the consumer unit. This is standard
modern UK wiring systems.

Wired fuses are terribly antiquated here; domestic wiring systems that
old were never intended to run the number of electrical appliances
people do today. If I lived in a house with such an ancient wiring
system I'd be seriously worried about fire risk.

Janet UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:17:36 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

> > >You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question makes
> > >no sense.

> > Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
> > than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
> > but a small part of the United States.

> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>
> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

I think the point he/she was trying to make is that "How about
in the US?" suggests that everywhere in the US has the same
conditions. However, I could read between the lines and
interpret it to mean "Anybody who wishes to answer--how about
in your area of the US?"

Which is exactly what was meant How in the world
could anyone assume it was all the same ? *rolls eyes*

Huh. And people accuse me of being too literal-minded.

I think most 'normal' people would have take it that
way)

Cindy Hamilton

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

http://www.exquisitescotland.com/merchandise/k-pegs/

> > Expensive but worth every penny, they never break, rust or let go.
> >

> Thank you! When my current batch need replacing, I'll try some of those.
> Do they get pitted from salt spray?

No; and we get a lot of salt spray here. I've had mine over a decade
(they live outside all the time) and they are still as new.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

EEEK :-(((

I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:19:46 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>> This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

> EEEK :-(((
>
> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?
>
> Janet UK

Oh, yes. And you keep your head down and your mouth closed when you
have to leave the house. The crunchy, squishy underfoot is no fun
either.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:19:46 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>> This is truly ick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5614449.html

> EEEK :-(((
>
> I suppose houses all have flyscreens on the windows down there?
>
> Janet UK

Down there? They are standard up here in the north. We have may
flies, moskies, black fly and all sorts of bugs. Today it is snowing,
the black flies burrowed in the base of the tree trunks love it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 5:50 AM, Bruce wrote:

> I think they do the same thing. Cut out when the voltage gets too high.
> I know fuses from cars and 'circuit breakers' from the electrical box
> against the outside wall of our house. Is that different for you?

It is the amperage that trips breakers and burns out fuses, not voltage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 6:37 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Fuses are considered somewhat antiquated technology here, although many
> older houses still have them. Most older houses were provided with
> a 60-amp service. Many of them have been upgraded to 100 amps, with
> an upgrade from fuses to circuit breakers. My house was upgraded a
> second time to 200 amps.

I bought my house in 1977. The wiring had been recently updated to 100
amp but with fuses, not breakers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-08 10:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
> clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
> the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.
>
> I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair
> and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
> good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
> live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
> inconvenience.

I agree with Sheldon that you might want to check the circuit breaker
before calling for repairs or replacement. If the controls have a
lighted control panel and there are no lights it is likely the breaker
has tripped for one reason or another. Even if there are lights on it
modern appliances sometimes screw up and a hard reboot might reset it.
It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to try and it could save you
aggravation. Every once in a while our washing machine beeps randomly
when not in use, with or without the door closed. Unplugging it for a
couple seconds does the trick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 15:15:38 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, JBurns says...
>>
>> On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 05:42:07 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>> >LOL, the feminazis will love that comment

>> Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>> thought you would have better insults than that!
>>
>> Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>> in the house.

>And that's your best insult? That's not very impressive.

Was not trying to insult you, just stating a fact. If one does not
know what one has in terms of appliances then one must surely be a
****ing idiot.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 2:14 PM, Janet wrote:

>> On 12/7/2016 7:37 PM, Janet wrote:
>>> Sheila, I use these pegs for very windy exposed washing line in Scotland

http://www.exquisitescotland.com/merchandise/k-pegs/
>>> Expensive but worth every penny, they never break, rust or let go.

>> Thank you! When my current batch need replacing, I'll try some of those.
>> Do they get pitted from salt spray?

> No; and we get a lot of salt spray here. I've had mine over a decade
> (they live outside all the time) and they are still as new.

Excellent.
We also get loads of salt spray (and mine live outside, too, which most
plastics don't appreciate).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 6:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I checked the breaker. Do you think I'm that stupid? Everything else
> works, the washer is on the same circuit and it works fine. The dryer
> is 25 years old.

If it is an electric dryer it would be on a separate circuit. Washing
machines run on a 110V circuit and dryers on 220V.

> I'm not ranking on you. In this case you are NOT correct. The first
> thing I checked was the circuit breakers. I flipped all the switches
> from ON to OFF. The dryer is dead. It happens. Appliances do not last
> forever. That's why I have a home warranty to cover replacing/repairing
> them.

Never the less, it was a wise idea to check the breaker first. Since it
is 25 years old you can ignore my suggestion about the electronics. It
is more likely something wrong with the switch, and you may or may not
be able to get a replacement part, but at 25 years... not so likely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2016 8:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "itsjoannotjoann" wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I pile a week's worth onto a regular coat hanger and hang
>>> the coat hanger more-or-less in front of a heat register.
>>> We run the furnace blower 24/7/365, so they dry pretty
>>> quickly.
>>>

>> I used to clip mine on a coat hanger until I picked up that
>> contraption at the flea market a few years ago. If I didn't
>> it I'd still use a coat hanger.

> Since I do all the laundry, ironically I hang bras to dry spanning the
> two dresser drawer 'knobs' with the straps neatly arranged, with the
> cups pointing out and well shaped.

Before you IRON them?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:13:19 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 11:02:33 +0800, JBurns >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 05:42:07 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>LOL, the feminazis will love that comment

>>Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>>thought you would have better insults than that!
>>
>>Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>>in the house.
>>
>>JB
>>
>><snip>

>Somebody is having their period.

Oh. for goodness sake. They are getting worse.

I pulled you up on your use of "Feminazi"because I know that you are
better than that, and then you sank to this?

My comment stands, Bruce must be an idiot if he knows not what his
house holds!

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 2:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:46:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 2:50:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>>> Bras are hung out on one those multiple arms with clips
>>> thingies. In the wintertime they're still hung on this
>>> contraption but then it is hung on the shower curtain rod.

>> I pile a week's worth onto a regular coat hanger and hang
>> the coat hanger more-or-less in front of a heat register.
>> We run the furnace blower 24/7/365, so they dry pretty
>> quickly.
>>

> Bras go into the washer/dryer just like everything else.

I hand wash mine. Dry by hanging over the shower curtain rod.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 03:37:40 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 4:31:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>> ... > >
>> >Quiite coincdentally my clothes dryer just broke. I put a load of wet
>> >clothes in it and pushed the Start button... nothing. I tried changing
>> >the settings, Start? Nope, no go. Grrrrr.

>> Did you check the circuit breaker?
>>
>> >I called my home warranty company and they will send a tech to repair

>> jmcquown wrote:

>> >and likely replace it. Meanwhile I have a bunch of wet clothes and no
>> >good way to dry them. I cannot have an outdoor clothes line where I
>> >live. I can hang some things in the bathroom but this is really an
>> >inconvenience.

>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker. If it's the
>> breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>> breaker.
>>
>> =================
>>
>> I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.

>Fuses are considered somewhat antiquated technology here, although many
>older houses still have them. Most older houses were provided with
>a 60-amp service. Many of them have been upgraded to 100 amps, with
>an upgrade from fuses to circuit breakers. My house was upgraded a
>second time to 200 amps.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The problem with fuses is often people don't have one of the correct
amperage so install one of a higher amperage. Then an electrical fire
ensues.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 7:17 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> You need to understand how BIG the US is to realize that question makes
>>> no sense.

>> Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
>> than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
>> but a small part of the United States.

> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>
> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

That was the part that confused me. We have vast stretches of tundra way
to the north of me, but that is irrelevant to the millions of people who
live in southern Ontario.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 7:34 AM, Janet wrote:

> Living on a small island off the west coast of Scotland, our weather
> blows in straight off 3000 miles of Atlantic ocean. I probably live in
> the cloudiest windiest wettest (summer AND winter)climate of any rfc
> posters. But I can still dry most of the laundry outdoors all year
> round.
>
> I am pretty much surrounded by conifer forests; but their pollen is
> never a problem on the washing.

Actually, I find spruce trees to be more of a pollen problem that the
hardwood tree. I have dozens of trees on my property and when the spruce
trees are pollinating there are sometimes clouds of green pollen that
flout off in gusts of wind or when I brush under them while mowing the
lawn. After a rain there will be layer of pollen on top of the puddles.

> Plus I'm on the coast, LOTS of seagulls; and I feed hundreds of birds
> in the garden. But it's very rare indeed for any bird poop to land on
> the laundry.
>
> Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 9:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:17:36 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> Brits don't seem to understand that California is more
>>> than *3 times* larger than England, and California is
>>> but a small part of the United States.

>> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
>> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
>> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>>
>> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

> I think the point he/she was trying to make is that "How about
> in the US?" suggests that everywhere in the US has the same
> conditions. However, I could read between the lines and
> interpret it to mean "Anybody who wishes to answer--how about
> in your area of the US?"

You thought that???? When I saw the addressing the question about birds
dropping bombs on laundry his answered You need to understand how BIG
the US is to realize that question makes no sense." That made
absolutely no sense to me.

> Huh. And people accuse me of being too literal-minded.

They do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 9:08 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 4:31:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>>> ... > >
>>>
>>> Did you check the circuit breaker?

>>> I'd think a neighborly neighbor would rescue your one load of
>>> laundry... however I'd bet it's the circuit breaker. If it's the
>>> breaker still have an electrician check it out, after so many years
>>> circuit breakers go bad. Once a year it's a good idea to "exercise"
>>> all the circuit breakers by flipping their switch a couple of times
>>> each, cleans the oxidation so their points make good contact. And
>>> eventually a breaker's points become burned and it needs to be
>>> replaced... especially with high amperage breakers like for a dryer.
>>> It's extremely rare that a dryer motor would suddenly die, much more
>>> likely a belt would wear/break. It's very likely the breaker but
>>> knowing how you look for every opportunity to rank on me I know you
>>> would never say I am correct. Odds are you never thought to check the
>>> breaker.
>>>
>>> =================
>>>
>>> I had to ask that was. We just have fuses which are simple to replace.

>> Fuses are considered somewhat antiquated technology here, although many
>> older houses still have them.

> Same here.
>
> Our house has circuit breakers in the consumer unit. This is standard
> modern UK wiring systems.
>
> Wired fuses are terribly antiquated here; domestic wiring systems that
> old were never intended to run the number of electrical appliances
> people do today. If I lived in a house with such an ancient wiring
> system I'd be seriously worried about fire risk.

It doesn't really matter how many electrical appliances one runs when it
comes to fuses or circuit breakers. That issue is addressed by the
number of circuits. The kitchens in older houses had only a couple
outlets. Modern houses tend to have more outlets in the kitchen and
plugs are wired individually so that the two plugs on one outlet are on
separate circuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-12-09 10:34 AM, JBurns wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 15:15:38 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:

>>> Feminazi is just a word to try to shut the disagreeing party up. I
>>> thought you would have better insults than that!
>>>
>>> Bruce must be a fudking idiot if he doesn't know if there is a dryer
>>> in the house.

>> And that's your best insult? That's not very impressive.

> Was not trying to insult you, just stating a fact. If one does not
> know what one has in terms of appliances then one must surely be a
> ****ing idiot.

There is considerable truth to that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2016 7:59 AM, Janet wrote:

>> I grew up with line dried laundry and I agree 100 percent.
>> Scratchy towels, stiff clothing.

> E£h? One of the prime reasons I like line drying is that the laundry
> gets so soft and smooth; cuddly towels and smooth wrinkle free sheets
> etc. I never need to use fabric conditioner, and the laundry smells
> wonderful, of fresh clean air.

Other people have mentioned it, some actually say they like it,
and they don't even live in the US so it's not some weird thing
we're doing. Perhaps it's very windy by you, or some other
factor that makes your experience different.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:08:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-12-09 9:03 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:17:36 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> I just can't grasp the relationship between the size of US and the
>>> amount of pollen and bird poop raining down on laundry hung on a US
>>> washing line. Are your birds and pollen grains as big as California?
>>>
>>> Perhaps Americans could explain this for our benefit.

>> I think the point he/she was trying to make is that "How about
>> in the US?" suggests that everywhere in the US has the same
>> conditions. However, I could read between the lines and
>> interpret it to mean "Anybody who wishes to answer--how about
>> in your area of the US?"

>You thought that???? When I saw the addressing the question about birds
>dropping bombs on laundry his answered You need to understand how BIG
>the US is to realize that question makes no sense." That made
>absolutely no sense to me.
>

>> Huh. And people accuse me of being too literal-minded.

>They do?

you need to realize that the posting order is not dictated by date.
The statement about how big the US is came way before the bird bombs
-- time wise.
Janet US