Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded "green bean casserole"

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:30:11 AM UTC-8, Gary wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> > > Are you sure you read that correctly, the butt half always costs about
> > > 20ΒΆ more per pound (it contains less bone). Why not consider roasting
> > > a Fresh ham, the King of roasts, get a butt half, and the left overs
> > > freeze very well, much better than cured ham. If turkey wasn't so
> > > traditional for Thanksgiving I'd be roasting a fresh ham... I may do
> > > fresh ham for Christmas.

> > The sale ad is correct. Same price for butt or shank.
> > I've never seen a fresh ham here but I'll look for it tomorrow.
> > It sounds like a better option.
> >
> > Anyway...It's been about 3 years now since I've cooked any ham. All of
> > the sudden, it sounds pretty nice now.

> I have a recipe for a knock off Honey Baked Ham that is killer. I'm doing that along with a Turkey for Thanksgiving this year.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...ney-bakedq-ham

That sounds good and I've saved the link. Thank you.
I looked at hams this morning and decided not to make one for
Thanksgiving. Maybe ham for Christmas or at least another day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:35:09 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> > > confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
> > >
> > > Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> > > Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
> > > own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
> > >
> > > I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> > > with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
> > >
> > > The crispy fried onions are requisite.
> > >
> > > Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

> > I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
> > but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.
> >

> > > On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> > > sprouts. And acorn squash.

> > Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
> > Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
> > Baked regular potato
> > Probably some frozen green beans
> > Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
> > Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)
> >
> > That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
> > this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.
> >
> > Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> > Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)
> >
> > If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
> > Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

> Why not treat yourself to a turkey thigh?

LOL (assuming that was a joke) ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Get your mashed potatoes with broth. Milk is not required.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:e9c0o9Fp18bU1
@mid.individual.net:

> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>
> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>
> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>
> nb

I've never tried it. I don't care for green beans. Do the other
components diguise the green bean taste or is it still obvious?

I'm too cheap to make one to find out in case I don't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> notbob > wrote in news:e9c0o9Fp18bU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>>
>> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
>> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>>
>> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
>> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
>> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>>
>> nb

> I've never tried it. I don't care for green beans. Do the other
> components diguise the green bean taste or is it still obvious?
>
> I'm too cheap to make one to find out in case I don't like it.

If you don't like green beans, no reason to make it, but I'm sure you could
try it at any number of places during the holidays. I feel that way about
any kind of sweet potato, yam, or beet, but I do make them for others since
they like them. If it was just me, those three items would would never enter
my house.

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >At >> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke
> > about.

> >understand >> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at
> > its best!

> >> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's

> pretty >> good.
> > >
> >> ==============
> > >
> >> Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it
> > >
> >> We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.
> > >
> >> Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

> > I use the dried ones but once you read up (hey, it's ok!) you will
> > see that was not on the menu but may be added.
> >
> > Jacob just called back. He's bringing a friend. He and his friend
> > are not antsy over kosher/halal stuff being perfect. Happy to suit
> > them. Just checked my stuffing and it's ok best as I can tell.
> > They said it's more like try a bit and if I can't tell, they can't
> > and are not worried about it. They like Butterball Turkeys for
> > example (which is what I have).
> >
> > I think the 5 of us can handle a 13.5lb Turkey.
> >
> > ===================
> >
> > I am sure you will all do your very best))) Have a great day)
> >
> > ps who is Jacob?

> Jacob is a neighbor down the street from me. He's invited 'Sal'
> (Salin?). Both are 2-3 generations USA folks. Laugh with me though as
> one is jewish and the other from muslim background. We will all be
> breaking bread together Thursday. Don't worry, Jacob knew we are good
> for extras. Art next door normally comes if his kids can't pick him
> up but his DIL Thersa is expected this year. If not, we add another
> plate.
>
> In fact, if add the extenders to the table, I can fit 14 here at the
> main table and 8 more at the Japanese low table. For now though, we
> put the big table in the living room that fits 8 easily without the
> extenders. Jacob's walker doesn't do the little 'sit on the floor'
> Japan table well so this year, not planning to use it.
>
> ===
>
> I guess you will have a lovely party) Enjoy)

I expect so, if I remember to tell it! Sal shyly had one question,
which was if I cook with wine? I told him rarely and I'd not do
anything this Thursday with it. Apparently it's the one Moslem bit he
sticks to strictly (no alcohol). That doesn't mean he minds others
having some and in fact, he was gifted with a bottle of a rather nice
Italian table wine (someone who didnt know and he's far to polite to
refuse a gift, obviously well meant). He will be chilling it and
bringing it with him.

He'll share with Charlotte, a bottle of sparkling white grape juice.

Jacob and Don (my husband) need low salt so all will be sodium reduced
items. I am just finishing off a batch of 'stuffing bread' that I will
use in place of the pepperidge farm this year as it is about 50mg per
3/4 cup serving that way. Jacob may not need that level reduction (Don
doesnt) but best to be safe. I basically replicate the Pepperidge Farm
bags but with only the amount of salt needed to make the bread. Had to
do that a couple of times in Sasebo because they were out when I got to
the commissary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2016 9:08 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
>> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>>
>> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make
>> it. Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make
>> your own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff
>> like that.
>>
>> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried
>> it with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>>
>> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>>
>> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.
>>
>> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
>> sprouts. And acorn squash.
>>
>> Jill

> I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
> bean casserole. ;-)
>
> Cheri

LOL I'm not sure I'm going to cook *on* Thanksgiving day. I'll likely
cook the T-Day meal over the weekend. I bought a cornish hen and will
make cornbread dressing. The hen won't net enough drippings for a
proper gravy. I'll either do without gravy or <gasp!> resort to jarred
gravy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/19/2016 9:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
>>> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>>>
>>> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make
>>> it. Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make
>>> your own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff
>>> like that.
>>>
>>> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried
>>> it with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>>>
>>> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>>>
>>> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.
>>>
>>> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
>>> sprouts. And acorn squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
>> bean casserole. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri

> LOL I'm not sure I'm going to cook *on* Thanksgiving day. I'll likely
> cook the T-Day meal over the weekend. I bought a cornish hen and will
> make cornbread dressing. The hen won't net enough drippings for a proper
> gravy. I'll either do without gravy or <gasp!> resort to jarred gravy.
>
> Jill

Me either. We were invited to my sons house and my granddaughters house, but
we're staying home. Will make a couple of plates for my husbands friends who
are single and take the day before, but Thanksgiving itself, not going to do
much, since will be cooking on Wednesday and just doing snacks on Thursday.
Happy Thanksgiving Jill!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2016 9:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Has Ophelia been by yet to say she's going to make it and asking for a
> recipe?
>
> -sw

Are you looking for a new woman to stalk here since Julie left?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 07:34:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
> > > but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.

> > > Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
> > > Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
> > > Baked regular potato
> > > Probably some frozen green beans
> > > Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
> > > Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)
> > >
> > > That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
> > > this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.
> > >
> > > Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> > > Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)
> > >
> > > If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
> > > Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

> > Why not treat yourself to a turkey thigh?

> LOL (assuming that was a joke) ;-D

Why would you think that? Turkey is traditional. I bought 2 turkey
thighs today with turkey mole in mind for the weekend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

> I guess you will have a lovely party) Enjoy)

I expect so, if I remember to tell it! Sal shyly had one question,
which was if I cook with wine? I told him rarely and I'd not do
anything this Thursday with it. Apparently it's the one Moslem bit he
sticks to strictly (no alcohol). That doesn't mean he minds others
having some and in fact, he was gifted with a bottle of a rather nice
Italian table wine (someone who didnt know and he's far to polite to
refuse a gift, obviously well meant). He will be chilling it and
bringing it with him.

He'll share with Charlotte, a bottle of sparkling white grape juice.

Jacob and Don (my husband) need low salt so all will be sodium reduced
items. I am just finishing off a batch of 'stuffing bread' that I will
use in place of the pepperidge farm this year as it is about 50mg per
3/4 cup serving that way. Jacob may not need that level reduction (Don
doesnt) but best to be safe. I basically replicate the Pepperidge Farm
bags but with only the amount of salt needed to make the bread. Had to
do that a couple of times in Sasebo because they were out when I got to
the commissary.

=============

I am sure all your hard work will be much appreciated I suspect you might
be enjoying doing it though I always do!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill, there is no way to make jarred gravy taste right. Instead, get a
couple packets of gravy base, like French or McCormick makes, make them
per instructions with the water, then stir in some chicken broth and "Better
Than Bouillion" to,strengthen the chicken flavor...taste and adjust as needed,
make a roux and stir that in to make it thicker and make it into a good gravy.
It will be ever so much better than the jarred stuff.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Jill, there is no way to make jarred gravy taste right. Instead, get a
> couple packets of gravy base, like French or McCormick makes, make them
> per instructions with the water, then stir in some chicken broth and "Better
> Than Bouillion" to,strengthen the chicken flavor...taste and adjust as needed,
> make a roux and stir that in to make it thicker and make it into a good gravy.
> It will be ever so much better than the jarred stuff.

Even better, use the packets and start with a strong broth/stock. Don't
use plain water at all.

I recently made the best chicken stock/broth combo I've ever ended up
with. Lots of chicken and bones, a whole frozen tomato, several onion
ends. This time I also added a TBS of chicken bouillon. I simmered it
all in a crockpot for about 15 hours, then I turned it to high with the
lid off and reduced the level by about 1 inch.

After straining all the junk out, I ended up with almost 6 pints of the
tastiest chicken broth ever.

I'll be making gravy and stuffing with this for Thanksgiving and beyond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > > Why not treat yourself to a turkey thigh?

> > LOL (assuming that was a joke) ;-D

> Why would you think that? Turkey is traditional. I bought 2 turkey
> thighs today with turkey mole in mind for the weekend.

Sorry, that really did sound like a joke.
For a "treat," a chicken thigh is much better than turkey.
Also if I wanted to cook turkey, I'd buy a whole one
while they are on sale. I don't waste any of the leftovers.
I don't eat turkey sandwiches forever either.
I have many turkey recipes that I like.
I also prefer turkey stock for soup. Much stronger than chicken.

I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

It's just me here alone this time. Not even a ferret, dammit.
I've been invited to "the dinner" though. I might accept.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-22 8:37 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Jill, there is no way to make jarred gravy taste right. Instead, get a
> couple packets of gravy base, like French or McCormick makes, make them
> per instructions with the water, then stir in some chicken broth and "Better
> Than Bouillion" to,strengthen the chicken flavor...taste and adjust as needed,
> make a roux and stir that in to make it thicker and make it into a good gravy.
> It will be ever so much better than the jarred stuff.

I am nor sure there is a single right way to make gravy, but my sister
in law always made good gravy and she taught me her method. Poor off the
drippings, let the fat rise and then return some of it to the pan, stir
in an equal amount of flour and cook to make a roux. Poor off the rest
of the fat and add the drippings to the pan. If it is a big bird there
should be enough. Otherwise, use some broth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2016 9:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-11-22 8:37 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Jill, there is no way to make jarred gravy taste right. Instead, get a
>> couple packets of gravy base, like French or McCormick makes, make them
>> per instructions with the water, then stir in some chicken broth and
>> "Better
>> Than Bouillion" to,strengthen the chicken flavor...taste and adjust as
>> needed,
>> make a roux and stir that in to make it thicker and make it into a
>> good gravy.
>> It will be ever so much better than the jarred stuff.

> I am nor sure there is a single right way to make gravy, but my sister
> in law always made good gravy and she taught me her method. Poor off the
> drippings, let the fat rise and then return some of it to the pan, stir
> in an equal amount of flour and cook to make a roux. Poor off the rest
> of the fat and add the drippings to the pan. If it is a big bird there
> should be enough. Otherwise, use some broth.

Since Nancy2 didn't quote, you missed the part where I said I'll be
cooking a cornish hen. It's a 20 oz. bird... certainly not big.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2016 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> I recently made the best chicken stock/broth combo I've ever ended up
> with. Lots of chicken and bones, a whole frozen tomato, several onion
> ends. This time I also added a TBS of chicken bouillon. I simmered it
> all in a crockpot for about 15 hours, then I turned it to high with the
> lid off and reduced the level by about 1 inch.
>
> After straining all the junk out, I ended up with almost 6 pints of the
> tastiest chicken broth ever.
>
> I'll be making gravy and stuffing with this for Thanksgiving and beyond.

Sounds like you found a winner! I don't eat enough chicken to have much
in the way of chicken/bones leftover for making stock. What I did have
accumulated in the freezer I had to throw out due to the power outage
resulting from Hurricane Matthew.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:19:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Thanks, you too. My DD lives less than an hour away, but I always go
down there on Wednesday to get Thanksgiving preparations underway. I
think we'll spend Thursday night too, instead of heading home after
the kids are in bed.

> It's just me here alone this time. Not even a ferret, dammit.
> I've been invited to "the dinner" though. I might accept.

No idea what that means, but I do wonder why you would choose to spend
it alone instead of with your DD. No need to explain, it's a
rhetorical question. I know some people hate holidays and family
gatherings. Fortunately, my experiences haven't been like theirs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 10:01:04 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Since Nancy2 didn't quote, you missed the part where I said I'll be
> cooking a cornish hen. It's a 20 oz. bird... certainly not big.

Raise the bird off the bottom of whatever you cook it in, and add a
little water so the fond doesn't burn while it roasts. You'll have
enough "starter" to make gravy for one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2016 9:51 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 10:01:04 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Since Nancy2 didn't quote, you missed the part where I said I'll be
>> cooking a cornish hen. It's a 20 oz. bird... certainly not big.

> Raise the bird off the bottom of whatever you cook it in, and add a
> little water so the fond doesn't burn while it roasts. You'll have
> enough "starter" to make gravy for one.

+1