Old 17-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Phred

Kate Connally wrote:
[...]
Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
weights or something. ;-)

Nah. Just from wringing out the sheets after boiling them in the
copper.

Most of the fudge of my childhood experience was pretty hard and
almost "crunchy" from what were probably microfine crystals. As a
result of this learned prejudice, I'm not very partial to some of the
bought really "smooth" stuff.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 17-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Kate Connally

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:56:21 -0500, Kate Connally
wrote:

Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
weights or something. ;-)

I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
from developing Popeye arms.

I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Excellent!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 17-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:29:15 -0500, Kate Connally
wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
from developing Popeye arms.

I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

I've made many, many batches of fudge, and my mixer has survived. The only
time I've burned out a mixer was when I tried divinity. I mean, this mixer
had smoke coming out of it! LOL!

How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Excellent!

Well, thank you very much!

Carol

Old 18-11-2004, 07:04 AM
ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:21:12 -0500, Scott

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

Excellent point. Thanks!

Carol

My mom always made fudge from the Hershey cocoa can recipe. Sounds
just like what Damsel has posted and I do believe she did add a tad of
vanilla to the cooled mixture. We wouldn't have known what a candy
thermometer was if it walked in the kitchen. She always relied on the
'cold cup of water' method to test if the fudge had cooked long
enough. Oh my, that fudge was scrumptuous(sp?) and I never refuse it
if it's offered to me to sample, but I always judge how good fudge is
by that recipe. Funny how our childhood memories and experiences
follow us all our lives, isn't it?

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
Pillsbury Old Fashion Recipe help [email protected] General Cooking 3 30-03-2005 08:44 PM
Old Fashion Biscuits A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 33 10-10-2003 07:16 PM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM