Kate Connally

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:

> > > This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
> > >
> > > N.

> > Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
> > it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
> > be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
> > syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
> > days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
> > am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
> > syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
> > as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> > So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
> > old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
> > of work, what with all the beating it requires to
> > make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> > a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
> > butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
> > fudge.
> > Kate

> I have never, never, never had "chewy" old-fashioned fudge.

Maybe my definition of "chewy" is not the same as yours.
It's not chewy like caramels, but it's not melt in your
mouth like fondant. It needs to be chewed a little rather
than just mushed against the roof of your mouth to make it
dissolve. Does that make any sense. It's hard to describe.

> Make this
> recipe and then tell us it's chewy.

Maybe I'll try it over Xmas. We'll see. Too bad I don't have
a Kitchenaid mixer to beat it with as my arms always get too
tired before the fudge it sufficiently beaten and it always
crystalizes on me. That's why I don't make fudge, I buy it.

Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
weights or something. ;-)

> Plus, it is no more tricky to
> make than a lot of other things you probably make, and it isn't "a lot
> of work," in my book. Ah, well, each to own and all that. ;-)

Maybe you work out and lift weights, too? ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:56:21 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
>I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
>fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
>been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
>and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
>weights or something. ;-)

I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
from developing Popeye arms. How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
>I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
>fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
>been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
>and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
>weights or something. ;-)

I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
from developing Popeye arms. How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Carol

Goomba38

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I discovered,
> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
> from developing Popeye arms.
> Carol

Yeah, but think of the workout those pecs get?
Goomba

Goomba38

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I discovered,
> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
> from developing Popeye arms.
> Carol

Yeah, but think of the workout those pecs get?
Goomba

Phred

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:
[...]
>Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
>I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
>fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
>been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
>and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
>weights or something. ;-)

Nah. Just from wringing out the sheets after boiling them in the
copper.

Most of the fudge of my childhood experience was pretty hard and
almost "crunchy" from what were probably microfine crystals. As a
result of this learned prejudice, I'm not very partial to some of the
bought really "smooth" stuff.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Phred

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:
[...]
>Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
>I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
>fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
>been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
>and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
>weights or something. ;-)

Nah. Just from wringing out the sheets after boiling them in the
copper.

Most of the fudge of my childhood experience was pretty hard and
almost "crunchy" from what were probably microfine crystals. As a
result of this learned prejudice, I'm not very partial to some of the
bought really "smooth" stuff.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Kate Connally

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:56:21 -0500, Kate Connally >
> wrote:
>
> >Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
> >I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
> >fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
> >been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
> >and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
> >weights or something. ;-)

> I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
> from developing Popeye arms.

I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

> How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Excellent!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:56:21 -0500, Kate Connally >
> wrote:
>
> >Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
> >I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
> >fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
> >been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
> >and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
> >weights or something. ;-)

> I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
> from developing Popeye arms.

I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

> How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

Excellent!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:29:15 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
>> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
>> from developing Popeye arms.

>I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
>beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
>one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
>I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

I've made many, many batches of fudge, and my mixer has survived. The only
time I've burned out a mixer was when I tried divinity. I mean, this mixer
had smoke coming out of it! LOL!

>> How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

>Excellent!

Well, thank you very much!

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> I've got tendonitis, so stirring thick fudge is impossible. I discovered,
>> a couple of years ago, that a hand mixer works quite well, and keeps you
>> from developing Popeye arms.

>I wouldn't think a hand mixer would have the power to
>beat fudge to the proper thickness. Although my current
>one is more powerful than ones I've had in the past. But
>I'm not sure I want to chance blowing out the motor.

I've made many, many batches of fudge, and my mixer has survived. The only
time I've burned out a mixer was when I tried divinity. I mean, this mixer
had smoke coming out of it! LOL!

>> How's THAT for a run-on sentence?

>Excellent!

Well, thank you very much!

Carol

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in message >. ..
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:21:12 -0500, Scott >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> >> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
> >> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
> >> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
> >> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

> >If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
> >the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
> >to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

> Excellent point. Thanks!
>
> Carol

My mom always made fudge from the Hershey cocoa can recipe. Sounds
just like what Damsel has posted and I do believe she did add a tad of
vanilla to the cooled mixture. We wouldn't have known what a candy
thermometer was if it walked in the kitchen. She always relied on the
'cold cup of water' method to test if the fudge had cooked long
enough. Oh my, that fudge was scrumptuous(sp?) and I never refuse it
if it's offered to me to sample, but I always judge how good fudge is
by that recipe. Funny how our childhood memories and experiences
follow us all our lives, isn't it?

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
Pillsbury Old Fashion Recipe help [email protected] General Cooking 3 30-03-2005 08:44 PM
Old Fashion Biscuits A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 33 10-10-2003 07:16 PM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM