Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making a White Sauce

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm
> just not that into gravy. Even on Thanksgiving, I put a little
> on my turkey, but none on the potatoes or stuffing.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The only time I put gravy on turkey or dressing is when they're
both dry as a bone. One of my sisters-in-law can make exceptionally
dry dressing.

:-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:49:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 2:39:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > Never had good sawmill gravy for breakfast?

> I can't speak for Graham, but I've never had any gravy for breakfast.
> I'm not likely to start now; who needs those calories?

Homemade is delicious, but it's not a Michigan thing. When my oldest
was 8-10, he came home raving about the biscuits & gravy that his
friend's father had made for breakfast after a sleep over and wanted
me to make it... except I'd never heard of it before. His father,
very kindly, taught me how.

My husband doesn't like biscuits and gravy to this day. His needs are
simple, especially when it comes to breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:26:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-10-25 4:38 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > If I want an indulgent breakfast, it'll be Eggs Benedict.

> That is as decadent as I need to get for an indulgent breakfast, either
> that or eggs Florentine.

Restaurants mainly serve lumpy wallpaper paste, so biscuits & gravy
are a family treat at home for me - and I'd rather order Eggs Benedict
or Florentine in a restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:39:36 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/25/2016 5:16 PM, l not -l wrote:
> > But, chicken ala king; that's more a brunch item. 8-)
> >

> Ah, there's something I haven't seen in a long time. Chicken ala king
> served on a pattie shell. Hmmm, haven't seen a pattie shell in a while,
> either.

They're in the freezer section, easily mistaken for the puff pastry
that doesn't have shells punched in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/25/2016 5:16 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> But, chicken ala king; that's more a brunch item. 8-)
>>

>Ah, there's something I haven't seen in a long time. Chicken ala king
>served on a pattie shell. Hmmm, haven't seen a pattie shell in a while,
>either.

I saw pattie shells (aka "vol-au-vent") on The Great British Baking
Competition a couple of weeks ago.

THey were filling them with all kinds of stuff.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:39:36 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 10/25/2016 5:16 PM, l not -l wrote:
>>> But, chicken ala king; that's more a brunch item. 8-)
>>>

>>Ah, there's something I haven't seen in a long time. Chicken ala king
>>served on a pattie shell. Hmmm, haven't seen a pattie shell in a while,
>>either.

> I saw pattie shells (aka "vol-au-vent") on The Great British Baking
> Competition a couple of weeks ago.
>
> THey were filling them with all kinds of stuff.
>
> Doris

That's one cooking show I love.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:37:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I'm
>> just not that into gravy. Even on Thanksgiving, I put a little
>> on my turkey, but none on the potatoes or stuffing.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>The only time I put gravy on turkey or dressing is when they're
>both dry as a bone. One of my sisters-in-law can make exceptionally
>dry dressing.

I get dry dressing and dry turkey whenever I eat at any of my in-law's
houses.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 9:33:50 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:37:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm
> >> just not that into gravy. Even on Thanksgiving, I put a little
> >> on my turkey, but none on the potatoes or stuffing.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >The only time I put gravy on turkey or dressing is when they're
> >both dry as a bone. One of my sisters-in-law can make exceptionally
> >dry dressing.

> I get dry dressing and dry turkey whenever I eat at any of my in-law's
> houses.
>
> Doris

You have my sympathy.

Do you reckon your in-law's are related to my in-law's???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> > > It was simply terrible.
> > >

> > As is the thought of gravy for breakfast:-)
> >

> Never had good sawmill gravy for breakfast? I'm not talking
> about a beef gravy such as served over mashed potatoes. Nor
> am I talking about a chicken gravy such as notbob tries to pass
> off as a breakfast gravy.
>
> A beef or a chicken based gravy is as different from a sawmill
> gravy as chocolate cake is to liver and onions.

Why do they call it swmill gravy?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 6:37:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I'm
> > just not that into gravy. Even on Thanksgiving, I put a little
> > on my turkey, but none on the potatoes or stuffing.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> The only time I put gravy on turkey or dressing is when they're
> both dry as a bone. One of my sisters-in-law can make exceptionally
> dry dressing.
>
> :-(

My husband irrigates all three (meat, dressing, potatoes) with gravy,
even though we stuff the bird (moist) and he prefers dark meat (also
moist).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-26, Janet > wrote:

> Why do they call it swmill gravy?

Cuz "white sludge made from rancid bacon grease, bleached pwdr derived
from whole grains, and pus filled moo juice", sounds a tad harsh.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2016 10:03 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-10-26, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> Why do they call it swmill gravy?

> Cuz "white sludge made from rancid bacon grease, bleached pwdr derived
> from whole grains, and pus filled moo juice", sounds a tad harsh.
>
> nb

Uh... the "sawmill" gravy I've made didn't call for rancid bacon grease.
Then again, I'm not one to save bacon grease like a miser with a jar
of it next to the stove.

Bleached flour... whatcha gonna tout next, gluten free flour? A scant
tablespoonful of flour serves as the thickener, then slowly add milk or
cream and whisk. Keep whisking. Or, in your case, keep whiskeying!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> tablespoonful of flour serves as the thickener, then slowly add milk or
> cream and whisk. Keep whisking. Or, in your case, keep whiskeying!

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2016 12:29 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-10-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> tablespoonful of flour serves as the thickener, then slowly add milk or
>> cream and whisk. Keep whisking. Or, in your case, keep whiskeying!

> Hey, I resemble that remark!!
>
> nb

Love you too, sweetie.

The people cleaning up the yard waste by the ends of the driveway just
back into my neighbors car with a dump truck. Ooops.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> The people cleaning up the yard waste by the ends of the driveway just
> back into my neighbors car with a dump truck. Ooops.

I sincerely hope yer not "the people" and it's not yer "driveway".
Judging by yer level of levity, I suspect it is not.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 6:08:19 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 6:37:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > The only time I put gravy on turkey or dressing is when they're
> > both dry as a bone. One of my sisters-in-law can make exceptionally
> > dry dressing.
> >
> > :-(

> My husband irrigates all three (meat, dressing, potatoes) with gravy,
> even though we stuff the bird (moist) and he prefers dark meat (also
> moist).
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hahahahaaaaaaa! I LOVE the description 'irrigates.'

Making white chocolate Travis McGee General Cooking 19 05-02-2015 06:22 PM
White BBQ sauce Nonny Barbecue 5 25-10-2009 05:34 AM
Cherry wood in white zinfandel and questions on making it sparkle Dirty Harry Winemaking 4 08-03-2007 11:53 AM
making white wine out of Grenache LG1111 Winemaking 0 21-09-2004 08:01 PM
Question - Making Wine for a Kit - BK White Zinfandel Brandon Winemaking 7 29-04-2004 04:58 PM