Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Updated chicken pot pie.

Looks good!
http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message ...

Looks good!
http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy
========

It does It is not a million miles from the ones I make

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:

>Looks good!
>http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

I make mine with left over chicken and keep the sauce white, so to
speak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:

>Looks good!
>http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
> >Looks good!
> >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> Janet US

I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made one);
I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than white sauce.
A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather than "pie",
Banquet notwithstanding.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
> >Looks good!
> >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> Janet US

I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made one);
I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than white sauce.
A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather than "pie",
Banquet notwithstanding.

Cindy Hamilton
=======

'Pot pie' is a term I have learned here. We just call them 'pies'

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:

> Looks good!
> http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

It does, but the point of a pot pie is an all in one dish that you can
also use up leftovers in. I made one just last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> > >Looks good!
> > >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> > I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> > Janet US

> I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made one);
> I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than white sauce.
> A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather than "pie",
> Banquet notwithstanding.

Agree. I used potato starch to thicken mine. There are no rules, but
I think it's one of the better ways to use up leftover white meat.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 19:06:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> > >Looks good!
> > >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> > I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> > Janet US

> I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made one);
> I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than white sauce.
> A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather than "pie",
> Banquet notwithstanding.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> =======
>
> 'Pot pie' is a term I have learned here. We just call them 'pies'

You have fish pies, meat pies - no idea what you call dessert pies.
Maybe that's what a pudding pie is? Apparently Americans demand
precision. I suspect it's because we didn't have generations of older
folk to depend on for guidance, so we want measurements rather than
general terms like "a knob of butter". We are just babes in the woods
that need precise directions because the person giving them won't be
at our elbow, coaching us through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 11:03:19 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> > >Looks good!
> > >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> > I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> > Janet US

> I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made one);
> I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than white sauce.
> A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather than "pie",
> Banquet notwithstanding.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> =======
>
> 'Pot pie' is a term I have learned here. We just call them 'pies'

You have fish pies, meat pies - no idea what you call dessert pies.
Maybe that's what a pudding pie is? Apparently Americans demand
precision. I suspect it's because we didn't have generations of older
folk to depend on for guidance, so we want measurements rather than
general terms like "a knob of butter". We are just babes in the woods
that need precise directions because the person giving them won't be
at our elbow, coaching us through.

===

Ahhh do I take it you are now learning to weigh ingredients?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 19:06:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

> > > I need to have the vegetables in the pie.
> > > Janet US

> > I clearly have no idea what chicken pot pie is (I've never made
> > one); I would have instinctively used chicken gravy rather than
> > white sauce. A single top crust is what makes it "pot pie" rather
> > than "pie", Banquet notwithstanding.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > =======
> >
> > 'Pot pie' is a term I have learned here. We just call them 'pies'

> You have fish pies, meat pies - no idea what you call dessert pies.
> Maybe that's what a pudding pie is? Apparently Americans demand
> precision. I suspect it's because we didn't have generations of older
> folk to depend on for guidance, so we want measurements rather than
> general terms like "a knob of butter". We are just babes in the woods
> that need precise directions because the person giving them won't be
> at our elbow, coaching us through.

??? Really???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 22:02:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Ahhh do I take it you are now learning to weigh ingredients?

I've had a scale for years, but only use it for recipes that are
written that way. I prefer to use cups and teaspoons. When it comes
to flour, I know how much a cup should weigh and how to get the proper
weight without using a scale - because I'm smart like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 9:59:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 08:12:53 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
> >Looks good!
> >http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> I make mine with left over chicken and keep the sauce white, so to
> speak.

Thank you. That was some nasty looking filling in that
er, um, 'pie.' Mushrooms and onions only? Looks bland
as well as a dirty pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> Looks good!
> http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead. I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 16:05:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>> Looks good!
>> http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

>A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might
>was well have chicken and dumplings instead. I like the idea of a meat pie
>with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

I like stews but I prefer them with no crust... I don't eat the crust
on fruit pies either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Ahhh do I take it you are now learning to weigh ingredients?

I've had a scale for years, but only use it for recipes that are
written that way. I prefer to use cups and teaspoons. When it comes
to flour, I know how much a cup should weigh and how to get the proper
weight without using a scale - because I'm smart like that.

===========

Aww yes, I forgot just how clever you THINK you are!! Yannow what sf, I
wasn't speaking to you, no offence was intended or even thought of, but you
just can't help yourself, can you???

Now **** off until you can behave like a decent human being.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 08:31:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" wrote in message ...
>
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 22:02:42 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
> >
> > Ahhh do I take it you are now learning to weigh ingredients?
> >

> I've had a scale for years, but only use it for recipes that are
> written that way. I prefer to use cups and teaspoons. When it comes
> to flour, I know how much a cup should weigh and how to get the proper
> weight without using a scale - because I'm smart like that.
>
> ===========
>
> Aww yes, I forgot just how clever you THINK you are!! Yannow what sf, I
> wasn't speaking to you, no offence was intended or even thought of, but you
> just can't help yourself, can you???
>
> Now **** off until you can behave like a decent human being.

Funny how I mistook a direct reply to what I said as being directed
toward me. **** off yourself, you shrew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 2:12:58 PM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 16:05:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> >> Looks good!
> >> http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> >A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might
> >was well have chicken and dumplings instead. I like the idea of a meat pie
> >with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

> I like stews but I prefer them with no crust... I don't eat the crust
> on fruit pies either.

I like stews and crust. I like meat pies with extra crust - hand pie style. Plus you can carry them around with you. Very handy. Handy food is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 7:05:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > Looks good!
> > http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.

> I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 7:05:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > > Looks good!
> > > http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
>
> > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

> Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.

I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 7:05:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:13:22 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > > Looks good!
> > > http://tiny.cc/3vjqfy

> > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might
> > was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all,
> really.
> If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
>
> > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry
> > lid. Hoo boy!

> Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know
the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings
go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people
feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I
suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.

I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin'
food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

=============

Unfortunately, you seem to have a similar sense of humour to me ... it
doesn't always go down well <g>

Never mind, at least I appreciate it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, dsi1
says...

> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
> >
> > > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

> > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
>
> I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

You're a tad touchy, old chap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:40:38 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> In article >, dsi1
> says...

> > > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.

> > > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
> >
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

> You're a tad touchy, old chap.

That's certainly true. It beats the hell out of me why you mugs can't seem to remember this most simple of truths!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:11:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might
> > > was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all,
> > really.
> > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
> >
> > > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry
> > > lid. Hoo boy!

> > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know
> the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings
> go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people
> feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I
> suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
>
> I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin'
> food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!
>
> =============
>
> Unfortunately, you seem to have a similar sense of humour to me ... it
> doesn't always go down well <g>
>
> Never mind, at least I appreciate it)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Well thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> never become one of those people.

I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.

FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.

> I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> boy!

I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> > that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> > bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> > license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> > never become one of those people.

> I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.
>
> FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.
>
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> > livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> > boy!

> I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't believe that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 13:07:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
> >
> > > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

> > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
>
> I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

I make mine with one crust because I prefer a wet filling and the
bottom crust comes out soggy under that condition. Turns out it
didn't matter because we don't require two crusts, so all's well that
ends well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 1:18:12 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 13:07:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:

> > > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.

> > > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally. I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
> >
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

> I make mine with one crust because I prefer a wet filling and the
> bottom crust comes out soggy under that condition. Turns out it
> didn't matter because we don't require two crusts, so all's well that
> ends well.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

It's clear that some folks like having one crust. I learn something new every day!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> > that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> > bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> > license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> > never become one of those people.

> I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.
>
> FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.
>
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> > livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> > boy!

> I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't believe
that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.

======================

Things are called differently in different places. Just don't mention that
here or you will get a nasty mouthful.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 4:07:19 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > A meat pie with only a top crust might be easier to make but you might was well have chicken and dumplings instead.

> > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.
> >
> > > I like the idea of a meat pie with a shortcrust bottom and a puff pastry lid. Hoo boy!

> > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.

If you don't write what you mean, how can anyone be expected to understand
what you are saying?

> I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust.

Yes, a pie should have both. A pot pie, however, need have only one.
Otherwise, why call it a POT pie?

The pot pie originally had no bottom crust. The frozen food industry
has accustomed people to having a two-crust pot pie. I'm willing to
go along with calling a two-crust pie a pot pie, since language evolves*,
but a one-crust pot pie is still a pot pie.

> Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
>
> I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

*I'm coming to terms with "decimate" being a synonym for "destroy" rather
than "kill one in ten". When some talking head says "The town was
decimated" my natural inclination is to say "Well, 90% of the town is
fine."

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 6:16:40 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> > that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> > bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> > license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> > never become one of those people.

> I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.

I found that definition on Wikipedia. It's a sucky definition. Googling
for pot pie history was much better.

> FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.
>
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> > livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> > boy!

> I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

I'm the same way. I love pastry, but strictly limit my intake of it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The pot pie originally had no bottom crust. The frozen food industry
> has accustomed people to having a two-crust pot pie. I'm willing to
> go along with calling a two-crust pie a pot pie, since language evolves*,
> but a one-crust pot pie is still a pot pie.

I'll occasionally buy a Banquet pot pie. The turkey ones are good. They
have top and bottom crust but my only problem with that is the amount of
filling. They would be much better with more filling. It's just a bit
too much crust with what they sell now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:58:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> > > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> > > that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> > > bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> > > license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> > > never become one of those people.

> > I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> > pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> > stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> > like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.
> >
> > FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> > they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> > that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> > excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.
> >
> > > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> > > livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> > > boy!

> > I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> > high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> > flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

> I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't believe
> that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.
>
> ======================
>
> Things are called differently in different places. Just don't mention that
> here or you will get a nasty mouthful.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Some peoples is too inflexible with words. They're quite adamant in this group but I love the richness and diversity of language. What I call a "crescent wrench" could be called a "monkey wrench" by some old coot on the mainland. It might be called a "gas grip" or my favorite, "adjustable spanner" in garages in the UK. "Garage" has a somewhat different meaning in the UK than here. Arguing about the definitions of words is a waste of my time - up with which, I shall not put.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 12:27:04 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 4:07:19 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Dumplings aren't crisp like pastry. It wouldn't be the same at all, really.
> > > If you crave pot pie, dumplings wouldn't satisfy.

> > > Well, that would certainly maximize the amounts of fats and
> > > carbohydrates in the dish. Hoo boy, indeed.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.

> If you don't write what you mean, how can anyone be expected to understand
> what you are saying?
>
> > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and bottom crust.

> Yes, a pie should have both. A pot pie, however, need have only one.
> Otherwise, why call it a POT pie?
>
> The pot pie originally had no bottom crust. The frozen food industry
> has accustomed people to having a two-crust pot pie. I'm willing to
> go along with calling a two-crust pie a pot pie, since language evolves*,
> but a one-crust pot pie is still a pot pie.
>
> > Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I never become one of those people.
> >
> > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo boy!

> *I'm coming to terms with "decimate" being a synonym for "destroy" rather
> than "kill one in ten". When some talking head says "The town was
> decimated" my natural inclination is to say "Well, 90% of the town is
> fine."
>

> Cindy Hamilton

I can't help you with your problem with words. My father-in-law had problems with understanding words too. He was a computer programmer of the lowest levels. BASIC was tough for him to learn because the commands seemed so vague and obscured. Good luck in your quest to find the one true meaning of "pot pie." My guess is that you'll find it located somewhere near the Holy Grail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2016 4:26 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> *I'm coming to terms with "decimate" being a synonym for "destroy" rather
> than "kill one in ten". When some talking head says "The town was
> decimated" my natural inclination is to say "Well, 90% of the town is
> fine."

However, when they use the term "literally decimate" they had better be
correct!
Incidentally, I heard a farmer from Montana on the radio who obviously
intended to use that but also combined it with a malapropism. He said
that his herd had been "literally disseminated".
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 12:25:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:58:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> > > pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> > > stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> > > like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.
> > >
> > > FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> > > they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> > > that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> > > excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.

> > > I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> > > high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> > > flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

> > I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't believe
> > that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.
> >
> > ======================
> >
> > Things are called differently in different places. Just don't mention that
> > here or you will get a nasty mouthful.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Some peoples is too inflexible with words.

I believe the word you're looking for is "precise", not "inflexible".

> They're quite adamant in this group but I love the richness and diversity of language. What I call a "crescent wrench" could be called a "monkey wrench" by some old coot on the mainland.

Funny, I'd never call a crescent wrench a monkey wrench. I might
call a pipe wrench a monkey wrench.

>It might be called a "gas grip" or my favorite, "adjustable spanner" in garages in the UK. "Garage" has a somewhat different meaning in the UK than here. Arguing about the definitions of words is a waste of my time - up with which, I shall not put.

No need to argue if one uses the dictionary definition.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 12:47:52 PM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> On 10/11/2016 4:26 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > *I'm coming to terms with "decimate" being a synonym for "destroy" rather
> > than "kill one in ten". When some talking head says "The town was
> > decimated" my natural inclination is to say "Well, 90% of the town is
> > fine."
> >

> However, when they use the term "literally decimate" they had better be
> correct!
> Incidentally, I heard a farmer from Montana on the radio who obviously
> intended to use that but also combined it with a malapropism. He said
> that his herd had been "literally disseminated".
> Graham

Well, as long as they weren't "literally de-seminated".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 6:57:30 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 12:25:14 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:58:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't believe
> > > that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.
> > >
> > > ======================
> > >
> > > Things are called differently in different places. Just don't mention that
> > > here or you will get a nasty mouthful.
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > Some peoples is too inflexible with words.

> I believe the word you're looking for is "precise", not "inflexible".

In your case, it is indeed "precise." I prefer "inflexible." This is a good example of how people see things differently.

> > They're quite adamant in this group but I love the richness and diversity of language. What I call a "crescent wrench" could be called a "monkey wrench" by some old coot on the mainland.

> Funny, I'd never call a crescent wrench a monkey wrench. I might
> call a pipe wrench a monkey wrench.
>
> >It might be called a "gas grip" or my favorite, "adjustable spanner" in garages in the UK. "Garage" has a somewhat different meaning in the UK than here. Arguing about the definitions of words is a waste of my time - up with which, I shall not put.

> No need to argue if one uses the dictionary definition.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It sounds like you're stating that putting a word in a book changes reality and that languages can be locked down and stabilized. I disagree but you have your way of seeing things. I can respect that. As I have already said, I have a rule against arguing about word definitions. Please respect that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 1:11:50 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 6:57:30 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Some peoples is too inflexible with words.

> > I believe the word you're looking for is "precise", not "inflexible".

> In your case, it is indeed "precise." I prefer "inflexible." This is a good example of how people see things differently.
>

> > > They're quite adamant in this group but I love the richness and diversity of language. What I call a "crescent wrench" could be called a "monkey wrench" by some old coot on the mainland.

> > Funny, I'd never call a crescent wrench a monkey wrench. I might
> > call a pipe wrench a monkey wrench.
> >
> > >It might be called a "gas grip" or my favorite, "adjustable spanner" in garages in the UK. "Garage" has a somewhat different meaning in the UK than here. Arguing about the definitions of words is a waste of my time - up with which, I shall not put.

> > No need to argue if one uses the dictionary definition.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> It sounds like you're stating that putting a word in a book changes reality and that languages can be locked down and stabilized.

No, it doesn't, and they can't. But using the standard definitions of
a word is the only way that we can communicate. If I started using
the word "fubar" for "pot pie", it would be impossible for you to
know what I'm talking about.

>I disagree but you have your way of seeing things. I can respect that. As I have already said, I have a rule against arguing about word definitions. Please respect that.

Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. Compilers of dictionaries
find out how words are actually used, and document that. That is why
it's important to use a fairly recent dictionary.

Take my old buddy "decimate". A modern dictionary gives us this:

1. kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.
"the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness"
drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something).
"plant viruses that can decimate yields"
2.
historical
kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.

An older dictionary would give us only definition #2.

Ah, what the hell. We'll never convince each other. You'll go through
life writing imprecisely, and I'll always adhere to the rules.

I've been a proofreader, a copy editor, and now I'm a programmer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:58:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2016-10-10 4:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > > On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:59:06 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > You will have some difficulty if you keep taking my posts literally.
> > > I know the difference between pie crust and dumplings. My point is
> > > that dumplings go only on the top but a pie should have a top and
> > > bottom crust. Some people feel that calling it a "pot pie" gives them
> > > license to do a job halfway. I suppose that it does but I hope I
> > > never become one of those people.

> > I made the mistake of Googling pot pie. According to that source, a pot
> > pie is a type of knish with a top crust. An Pennsylvania pot pie is a
> > stew with no crust at all. I had to look up knish, and that is nothing
> > like any kind of pot pie I have ever had.
> >
> > FWIW, my mother used to occasionally buy frozen (Swanson?) pot pies, and
> > they always had a top and bottom crust. There were bakeries around here
> > that make meat pies, with top and bottom crust. My wife makes a lot of
> > excellent meat pies, but she makes them with just a top crust.
> >
> > > I did not realize that this was some kind of sanctimonious healthy
> > > livin' food group and that I was to be judged by that criteria. Hoo
> > > boy!

> > I like pie pastry, but I have had to learn to avoid it because it is so
> > high in carbs and fat. It really. Pie pastry is basically two parts
> > flour (high carb) and one part shortening.... fat.

> I'm eating such a concoction as I type this. It's good eats! I don't
> believe
> that I'll be wanting to live that much longer.
>
> ======================
>
> Things are called differently in different places. Just don't mention
> that
> here or you will get a nasty mouthful.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Some peoples is too inflexible with words. They're quite adamant in this
group but I love the richness and diversity of language. What I call a
"crescent wrench" could be called a "monkey wrench" by some old coot on the
mainland. It might be called a "gas grip" or my favorite, "adjustable
spanner" in garages in the UK. "Garage" has a somewhat different meaning in
the UK than here. Arguing about the definitions of words is a waste of my
time - up with which, I shall not put.

==================

<g> We all have our own way of defining things. If some don't like it ...
too bad! I have seen a lot of different descriptions here and I have never
moaned about it. Vive la difference! What a bland old world it would be if
we all had to conform. Anyway, who says they ought not to conform by OUR
ways??? ;p

I am still mystified as to what I did wrong. So far as I remember, all I
said that had learned the term 'pot pie' here and that we just call them
pies!!! Oh well, c'est la vie err innit?

I can't say I care much)))

Anyway, WE had English first .................

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

FAQ site updated to 1.1 cwdjrxyz Wine 6 03-12-2007 06:18 PM
Most delicious chicken recipe, daily updated [email protected] General Cooking 37 01-10-2007 09:38 PM
[FAQ] 3s. Australia? [last updated 8/07] Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 5 25-09-2007 12:07 PM
Most delicious chicken recipe, daily updated [email protected] General Cooking 0 23-09-2007 04:20 AM
The cowardice of Goo (updated) dh@. Vegan 80 07-08-2005 10:50 PM