Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Jill

I heard Gov. Nikki Haley mention Beaufort as a city that will be
directly affected by the storm and they expect water levels will rise
as much as 8 feet. I know Dataw Island is close to Beaufort, so I'm
hoping your house has hurricane shutters and comes through it without
damage. I will assume your association keeps the trees in good
condition, so damage from flying debris and falling trees will be
minimal in your neighborhood.

Stay dry and good luck! May the water subside and your power return
as quickly as possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2016 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
> I heard Gov. Nikki Haley mention Beaufort as a city that will be
> directly affected by the storm and they expect water levels will rise
> as much as 8 feet. I know Dataw Island is close to Beaufort, so I'm
> hoping your house has hurricane shutters and comes through it without
> damage. I will assume your association keeps the trees in good
> condition, so damage from flying debris and falling trees will be
> minimal in your neighborhood.
>
> Stay dry and good luck! May the water subside and your power return
> as quickly as possible.

Thank you! So far, so good. But then, the storm hasn't really made it
past Florida yet. It's supposed to arrive in this area sometime
overnight or early Saturday morning. By then it's expected to be
reduced from a Category 3 to a Cat 2 storm.

It's raining at the moment but it's a gentle rain. Only a slight breeze
at this time. Power outages don't seem to be a huge factor if news
reports are to be believed.

Dataw does make sure the trees are well trimmed. In fact, they sent
someone over to cut down a tree in a small vacant space (it's too small
to call a "lot") next to the house across the street on Wednesday. He
was concerned it might fall on his house. (The funny thing is he
thought it was on his property and he paid to have someone trim it last
winter! If he'd called them then they'd have cut it down last year and
he wouldn't have had to pay someone to trim it. Oops!)

My house doesn't have hurricane shutters. The entire back of the house
is pretty much glass:

http://s18.postimg.org/se0lqiiy1/house.jpg

It's a pretty stupid design considering this area is prone to
hurricanes. But it's been fine for 30 years and many
hurricanes/tropical storms in the interim. Here's hoping that trend
continues.

I hope you appreciate I went out in the rain to take that pic. LOL

Thanks for thinking about me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> My house doesn't have hurricane shutters. The entire back of the house is
> pretty much glass:
>
> http://s18.postimg.org/se0lqiiy1/house.jpg
>
> It's a pretty stupid design considering this area is prone to hurricanes.
> But it's been fine for 30 years and many hurricanes/tropical storms in the
> interim. Here's hoping that trend continues.
>
> I hope you appreciate I went out in the rain to take that pic. LOL
>
> Thanks for thinking about me.
>
> Jill

I hope you stay safe Jill, I am just hearing on The Weather Channel that the
Carolina Coast will be hit harder than expected if Matthew doesn't turn off
a bit more. Hopefully it does.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:32:17 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Thank you! So far, so good. But then, the storm hasn't really made it
> past Florida yet. It's supposed to arrive in this area sometime
> overnight or early Saturday morning. By then it's expected to be
> reduced from a Category 3 to a Cat 2 storm.

Fingers crossed that it loses steam by the time it gets to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 10:33:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I heard Gov. Nikki Haley mention Beaufort as a city that will be
>directly affected by the storm and they expect water levels will rise
>as much as 8 feet. I know Dataw Island is close to Beaufort, so I'm
>hoping your house has hurricane shutters and comes through it without
>damage. I will assume your association keeps the trees in good
>condition, so damage from flying debris and falling trees will be
>minimal in your neighborhood.
>
>Stay dry and good luck! May the water subside and your power return
>as quickly as possible.

Yes. And I hope Buffy doesn't stress too much out either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-07 4:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/7/2016 1:33 PM, sf wrote:

>> Stay dry and good luck! May the water subside and your power return
>> as quickly as possible.
>>

> Thank you! So far, so good. But then, the storm hasn't really made it
> past Florida yet. It's supposed to arrive in this area sometime
> overnight or early Saturday morning. By then it's expected to be
> reduced from a Category 3 to a Cat 2 storm.
>
> It's raining at the moment but it's a gentle rain. Only a slight breeze
> at this time. Power outages don't seem to be a huge factor if news
> reports are to be believed.

Between the posts from you and sf and the news reports we have been
hearing I just called my 99 year old uncle who lives in Delray Beach.
They had made arrangements to evacuate to a hotel about 30 miles inland
and had just got back home after 3 days in the hotel. He said that the
hurricane had skipped out to sea and then come back to shore to the
north of them. They live in a condo about two blocks from the ocean. He
was not worried about the building but was worried that a surge and
flooding would ruin his car. He said there is the odd puddle, but no
damage. Everything worked out well for them, but they are concerned for
the people to the north of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/7/2016 1:33 PM, sf wrote:
>> I heard Gov. Nikki Haley mention Beaufort as a city that will be
>> directly affected by the storm and they expect water levels will rise
>> as much as 8 feet. I know Dataw Island is close to Beaufort, so I'm
>> hoping your house has hurricane shutters and comes through it without
>> damage. I will assume your association keeps the trees in good
>> condition, so damage from flying debris and falling trees will be
>> minimal in your neighborhood.
>>
>> Stay dry and good luck! May the water subside and your power return
>> as quickly as possible.
>>

>Thank you! So far, so good. But then, the storm hasn't really made it
>past Florida yet. It's supposed to arrive in this area sometime
>overnight or early Saturday morning. By then it's expected to be
>reduced from a Category 3 to a Cat 2 storm.
>
>It's raining at the moment but it's a gentle rain. Only a slight breeze
>at this time. Power outages don't seem to be a huge factor if news
>reports are to be believed.
>
>Dataw does make sure the trees are well trimmed. In fact, they sent
>someone over to cut down a tree in a small vacant space (it's too small
>to call a "lot") next to the house across the street on Wednesday. He
>was concerned it might fall on his house. (The funny thing is he
>thought it was on his property and he paid to have someone trim it last
>winter! If he'd called them then they'd have cut it down last year and
>he wouldn't have had to pay someone to trim it. Oops!)
>
>My house doesn't have hurricane shutters. The entire back of the house
>is pretty much glass:
>
>http://s18.postimg.org/se0lqiiy1/house.jpg
>
>It's a pretty stupid design considering this area is prone to
>hurricanes. But it's been fine for 30 years and many
>hurricanes/tropical storms in the interim. Here's hoping that trend
>continues.
>
>I hope you appreciate I went out in the rain to take that pic. LOL
>
>Thanks for thinking about me.
>
>Jill

Those look like high quality windows, probably double glazed too, but
as an extra precaution I would tape a big X on the inside of those
windows, Duck tape is good but masking tape is better than nothing,
and keep the drapes drawn. However those are not very large expanses
of glass so I doubt they'd be a problem. If you can't get someone to
help relocate that patio furniture I'd push those chairs together and
securely lash them together (rope, extension cord, garden hose, old
clothing, etc.), and possibly lash them to that low piece as well. You
might also think about increasing the weight of those pieces, place a
large bucket/plastic storage tub on each and fill them with water.
You need to check your neighbor's yards for loose objects too,
especially those who are absentee. I were you I'd consider riding out
the storm in the club house, perhaps it's on higher ground, and at
least you won't go hungry, they'll have lots of Kaiser rolls. LOL The
club house may be on generator during power outages, or should be for
refrigeration. Start making blocks of ice in food storage containers,
in case of a power outage they'll hold your food a couple extra days.
Be safe!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 18:49:42 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Those look like high quality windows, probably double glazed too, but
>as an extra precaution I would tape a big X on the inside of those
>windows, Duck tape is good

LOL. Quack quack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 18:38:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/7/2016 6:06 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 08:55:12 +1100, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, says...

>>> The Vampire Slayer?

>> Yes. They're house mates. Why do you think there are no vampires on
>> Dataw?
>>

>My Buffy is quite adept at drawing blood if she is annoyed in some way.
>Slayer works it's way in there somehow. LOL
>
>So far she's just doing her usual cat thing. She's snoozing on a piece
>of cat furniture behind me. She's relaxed. Perhaps if there are some
>severe changes in the barometric pressure she might react. I've no way
>of knowing. She doesn't usually get stressed during thunderstorms.

Oh, it was the thunder and lightning that I thought would scare Buffy,
most cats don't seem to much like thunderstorms. My two certainly
don't like storms, although Annie is getting more mellow with age.

>her, noisy weather was once a way of life.
>
>Right now all this is is occasional strong rain, which is pretty darn
>common. And a little wind, also common.
>
>No change in the Buffy-rometer. She's not perceiving this storm to be
>something worthy of disrupting her nap for. At least not at this point
>in time.

Good to hear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2016 6:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> [...]

> help relocate that patio furniture I'd push those chairs together and
> securely lash them together (rope, extension cord, garden hose, old
> clothing, etc.), and possibly lash them to that low piece as well. You
> might also think about increasing the weight of those pieces, place a
> large bucket/plastic storage tub on each and fill them with water.
> You need to check your neighbor's yards for loose objects too,
> especially those who are absentee. I were you I'd consider riding out
> the storm in the club house, perhaps it's on higher ground, and at
> least you won't go hungry, they'll have lots of Kaiser rolls. LOL The
> club house may be on generator during power outages, or should be for
> refrigeration. Start making blocks of ice in food storage containers,
> in case of a power outage they'll hold your food a couple extra days.

Thanks! I'll do my best to be safe. You don't actually believe the Club
is still open, do you? Sorry, but the staff has gone with the wind.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:08:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/7/2016 6:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:32:17 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you! So far, so good. But then, the storm hasn't really made it
>>> past Florida yet. It's supposed to arrive in this area sometime
>>> overnight or early Saturday morning. By then it's expected to be
>>> reduced from a Category 3 to a Cat 2 storm.
>>>
>>> It's raining at the moment but it's a gentle rain. Only a slight breeze
>>> at this time. Power outages don't seem to be a huge factor if news
>>> reports are to be believed.
>>>
>>> Dataw does make sure the trees are well trimmed. In fact, they sent
>>> someone over to cut down a tree in a small vacant space (it's too small
>>> to call a "lot") next to the house across the street on Wednesday. He
>>> was concerned it might fall on his house. (The funny thing is he
>>> thought it was on his property and he paid to have someone trim it last
>>> winter! If he'd called them then they'd have cut it down last year and
>>> he wouldn't have had to pay someone to trim it. Oops!)
>>>
>>> My house doesn't have hurricane shutters. The entire back of the house
>>> is pretty much glass:
>>>
>>> http://s18.postimg.org/se0lqiiy1/house.jpg
>>>
>>> It's a pretty stupid design considering this area is prone to
>>> hurricanes. But it's been fine for 30 years and many
>>> hurricanes/tropical storms in the interim. Here's hoping that trend
>>> continues.
>>>
>>> I hope you appreciate I went out in the rain to take that pic. LOL
>>>
>>> Thanks for thinking about me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Those look like high quality windows, probably double glazed too, but
>> as an extra precaution I would tape a big X on the inside of those
>> windows, Duck tape is good but masking tape is better than nothing,
>> and keep the drapes drawn. However those are not very large expanses
>> of glass so I doubt they'd be a problem. If you can't get someone to
>> help relocate that patio furniture I'd push those chairs together and
>> securely lash them together (rope, extension cord, garden hose, old
>> clothing, etc.), and possibly lash them to that low piece as well. You
>> might also think about increasing the weight of those pieces, place a
>> large bucket/plastic storage tub on each and fill them with water.
>> You need to check your neighbor's yards for loose objects too,
>> especially those who are absentee. I were you I'd consider riding out
>> the storm in the club house, perhaps it's on higher ground, and at
>> least you won't go hungry, they'll have lots of Kaiser rolls. LOL The
>> club house may be on generator during power outages, or should be for
>> refrigeration. Start making blocks of ice in food storage containers,
>> in case of a power outage they'll hold your food a couple extra days.
>> Be safe!
>>

>Thanks! I'll do my best to be safe. You don't actually believe the Club
>is still open, do you? Sorry, but the staff has gone with the wind.
>
>Jill

Sounds fair to me, they likely have their own families to look after.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 6:08:33 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I'll do my best to be safe.
>
> Jill

Keep us posted!

Ping: Jill, et. al. Janet B General Cooking 22 18-04-2016 06:06 PM
Ping: Jill Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 75 03-01-2015 09:22 PM
Ping: Jill sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 01-01-2015 10:01 PM
ping: Jill sf[_19_] General Cooking 7 10-04-2010 06:52 PM
PING: Jill Wayne Boatwright[_5_] General Cooking 16 05-12-2008 02:24 AM