Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default speaking of horseradish sauce

there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
date, may have been in the fridge for years

is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:41:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>date, may have been in the fridge for years
>
>is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

Even if it were fresh, it still wouldn't be worth using IMO. Never
found a big name brand horseradish sauce that tasted like it actually
had any horseradish in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:41:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
> >there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> >date, may have been in the fridge for years
> >
> >is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> Even if it were fresh, it still wouldn't be worth using IMO. Never
> found a big name brand horseradish sauce that tasted like it actually
> had any horseradish in it.

The never have any heat and the taste omits the true horseradish nuances.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>
> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is high but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish sauce. The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>>
>> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is high but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish sauce. The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with care.

This is why I asked -- I have some Kroger horseradish sauce in the fridge
at home which looks like mayo and doesn't have specks. Upon closer
inspection the Heinz stuff from the fridge at work contained little blobs
of stuff (separate from the specks). That one got tossed. Fortunately
there are some Grey Poupon packs in the work fridge that still contain
normal looking dijon and no little blobs.

Ironically I was down in the cafeteria this morning and completely spaced
out on picking up some free condiments for later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2016 12:51 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>>> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>>>
>>> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

>> I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is high but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish sauce. The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with care.

> This is why I asked -- I have some Kroger horseradish sauce in the fridge
> at home which looks like mayo and doesn't have specks. Upon closer
> inspection the Heinz stuff from the fridge at work contained little blobs
> of stuff (separate from the specks). That one got tossed. Fortunately
> there are some Grey Poupon packs in the work fridge that still contain
> normal looking dijon and no little blobs.
>
> Ironically I was down in the cafeteria this morning and completely spaced
> out on picking up some free condiments for later.

I have done that too. I better stop doing it because I rarely ever use
those little packets. It's the most petty of larcenies but wasting it is
kinda of a sin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:34:17 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:41:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>> >date, may have been in the fridge for years
>> >
>> >is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

>> Even if it were fresh, it still wouldn't be worth using IMO. Never
>> found a big name brand horseradish sauce that tasted like it actually
>> had any horseradish in it.

>The never have any heat and the taste omits the true horseradish nuances.

Yes, exactly. Here in Tasmania I never did find a suitable horseradish
sauce - every one I tried was far too mild. If it doesn't blow my
sinuses out, it isn't strong enough... I solved that problem by
growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw). A friend is going to
make a big batch of sauce with it this season.

There is nothing better than a decent steak with some freshly grated
horseradish... now that is heaven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> I solved that problem by
> growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw)

Do you grow it from seed?

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 07:02:44 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> I solved that problem by
>> growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw)

>Do you grow it from seed?

No, I got some roots from somewhere and planted them. Now, it just
comes up by itself every spring. I've read it can spread out of
control but I haven't had that problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>
> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted
and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is high
but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish sauce.
The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with
care.
=======

Heh I thought he was talking about anchovy

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terr, I think it would be o.k. Doesn't it have a name on it, as to where it
came from? If so, call and ask.

Yes, beige with specks is what Kraft looks like...I think that's the brand I
currently have. I cannot imagine it is bad, but really, you should do
everyone a favor and toss it out. It doesn't cost that much.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:34:17 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
>>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:41:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

>>> Even if it were fresh, it still wouldn't be worth using IMO. Never
>>> found a big name brand horseradish sauce that tasted like it actually
>>> had any horseradish in it.

>>The never have any heat and the taste omits the true horseradish nuances.

>Yes, exactly. Here in Tasmania I never did find a suitable horseradish
>sauce - every one I tried was far too mild. If it doesn't blow my
>sinuses out, it isn't strong enough... I solved that problem by
>growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw). A friend is going to
>make a big batch of sauce with it this season.
>
>There is nothing better than a decent steak with some freshly grated
>horseradish... now that is heaven.

I never thought that horseradish sauce was supposed to clear your
sinus. I always thought that it was supposed to be a taste
reminiscent of horseradish. If you want a powerful sauce I imagine
you will have to make your own just prior to eating. That sort of
thing never seems to have a shelf life for taste endurance.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-04, tert in seattle > wrote:

> This is why I asked -- I have some Kroger horseradish sauce in the fridge

That's part of the problem, "Kroger horseradish sauce". The other
part is "sauce". Horseradish "sauce" or creamed horseradish is
basically horseradish and mayo. IOW, horseradish fer wimps! Plus, a
house brand is not to be trusted.

Buy some real horseradish, like Silver Spring Prepared Horsradish,
Extra Hot, (available at Kroger stores) and mix it with some mayo.
Better yet, leave the mayo out.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>
> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

I saw a Rick Steve's episode, they were in Norway. They were in some historic old cod warehouse, they had dried cod hanging from the rafters, over a hundred years old, and the guy said it would be "edible" still...

So ya see, tert, *years* - old mustard is *young* in "cod years"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 9:50:27 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> > there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> > date, may have been in the fridge for years
> >
> > is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted
> and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is high
> but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish sauce.
> The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with
> care.
> =======
>
> Heh I thought he was talking about anchovy
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This is a very confusing place. I wonder which has the most dislikes: horseradish or canned anchovies?

You might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDTG0xvl4c
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 9:50:27 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> > there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> > date, may have been in the fridge for years
> >
> > is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted
> and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is
> high
> but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish
> sauce.
> The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with
> care.
> =======
>
> Heh I thought he was talking about anchovy
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

This is a very confusing place. I wonder which has the most dislikes:
horseradish or canned anchovies?

You might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDTG0xvl4c

=============

Oh my! Now I wonder if they make VERY small versions of that machine))))

btw did you see my previous post? I will be getting lemons tomorrow. How
much salt did you use?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 5:09:52 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:34:17 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:

> >>The never have any heat and the taste omits the true horseradish nuances.

> >Yes, exactly. Here in Tasmania I never did find a suitable horseradish
> >sauce - every one I tried was far too mild. If it doesn't blow my
> >sinuses out, it isn't strong enough... I solved that problem by
> >growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw). A friend is going to
> >make a big batch of sauce with it this season.
> >
> >There is nothing better than a decent steak with some freshly grated
> >horseradish... now that is heaven.

> I never thought that horseradish sauce was supposed to clear your
> sinus. I always thought that it was supposed to be a taste
> reminiscent of horseradish. If you want a powerful sauce I imagine
> you will have to make your own just prior to eating. That sort of
> thing never seems to have a shelf life for taste endurance.
> Janet US

This is in fact, the case. Horseradish sauce is a more social acceptable version of horseradish i.e., it's a lot easier to handle. I like that stuff in sandwiches but it goes funky in short order. Horseradish sauce is not interchangeable with horseradish. It's a whole 'nother animal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here we have Amana horseradish, which is really powerful. I thought sauce
could be made with mayo and/sour cream; but I have never made it. The
strong Amana kind I buy in the refrigerator case loses its strength pretty
fast, once opened.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:09:42 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:34:17 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>>>The never have any heat and the taste omits the true horseradish nuances.

>>Yes, exactly. Here in Tasmania I never did find a suitable horseradish
>>sauce - every one I tried was far too mild. If it doesn't blow my
>>sinuses out, it isn't strong enough... I solved that problem by
>>growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw). A friend is going to
>>make a big batch of sauce with it this season.
>>
>>There is nothing better than a decent steak with some freshly grated
>>horseradish... now that is heaven.

>I never thought that horseradish sauce was supposed to clear your
>sinus.

I like it pretty strong in most cases. I am definitely not like that
when it comes to chilli or curries though, which I prefer on the mild
side.

> I always thought that it was supposed to be a taste
>reminiscent of horseradish.

So do I, even if I do like it strong. All the commercial ones I have
tried were incredibly mild, almost like I could taste the other
ingredients more than horseradish.

> If you want a powerful sauce I imagine
>you will have to make your own just prior to eating. That sort of
>thing never seems to have a shelf life for taste endurance.

I usually make a sauce when I need it, although I have stored it in
the fridge either as a whole root or grated then put in a jar with
vinegar and salt. A friend is going to make a big batch of sauce from
my horseradish so we'll see how that goes... that is months away yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:35:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 9:50:27 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> > > there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> > > date, may have been in the fridge for years
> > >
> > > is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> > I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It tasted
> > and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is
> > high
> > but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish
> > sauce.
> > The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed with
> > care.
> > =======
> >
> > Heh I thought he was talking about anchovy
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> This is a very confusing place. I wonder which has the most dislikes:
> horseradish or canned anchovies?
>
> You might find this interesting.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDTG0xvl4c
>
> =============
>
> Oh my! Now I wonder if they make VERY small versions of that machine))))
>
> btw did you see my previous post? I will be getting lemons tomorrow. How
> much salt did you use?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's a nice machine and the operator knows how to use it! The salt I poured into my hand until it looked right. Your eyes may vary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:35:52 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

snip

>I usually make a sauce when I need it, although I have stored it in
>the fridge either as a whole root or grated then put in a jar with
>vinegar and salt. A friend is going to make a big batch of sauce from
>my horseradish so we'll see how that goes... that is months away yet.

I'm confused now. What are you talking about. Sauce? or grated
horseradish?
Horseradish Sauce generally is a fresh preparation for a dish. It
generally requires a quantity of sour cream and fresh cream. It may
also contain Dijon mustard.
Grated Horseradish is the grated root mixed with a small amount of
white vinegar. This preparation may be held in the refrigerator for
some months. Pungency weakens with time. Depending upon when you add
the vinegar, you will either allow the preparation to be hotter or
weaker as the vinegar halts pungency.
(I think I got that right. You need to check me on this)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:09:42 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:21:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> >>Yes, exactly. Here in Tasmania I never did find a suitable horseradish
> >>sauce - every one I tried was far too mild. If it doesn't blow my
> >>sinuses out, it isn't strong enough... I solved that problem by
> >>growing my own (extremely easy to grow, btw). A friend is going to
> >>make a big batch of sauce with it this season.
> >>
> >>There is nothing better than a decent steak with some freshly grated
> >>horseradish... now that is heaven.

> >I never thought that horseradish sauce was supposed to clear your
> >sinus.

> I like it pretty strong in most cases. I am definitely not like that
> when it comes to chilli or curries though, which I prefer on the mild
> side.

In my experience, horse radish/wasabi/mustard style heat can be as hot
as chilli heat, but the heat goes away much faster. Chilli heat hangs
around longer, especially if you bit off more than you can chew. "Having
said that", I love both kinds of heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 11:30:32 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 5 Oct 2016 16:18:07 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> Buy some real horseradish, like Silver Spring Prepared Horsradish,
>> Extra Hot, (available at Kroger stores) and mix it with some mayo.
>> Better yet, leave the mayo out.

>Uh, "real horseradish" comes in a root, not a bottle with all sorts of
>added crap. All the bottled horseradish I've tried tastes off.

http://horseradish.org/
http://www.goldshorseradish.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:35:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 9:50:27 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 10:50:04 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle
> > wrote:
> > > there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have
> > > date, may have been in the fridge for years
> > >
> > > is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> > I've had some really old horseradish sauce in the refrigerator. It
> > tasted
> > and looked funky. My tolerance for funky looking and tasting things is
> > high
> > but the sauce won that round. These days I throw out old horseradish
> > sauce.
> > The sauce is beige but I don't know a thing about the specks. Proceed
> > with
> > care.
> > =======
> >
> > Heh I thought he was talking about anchovy
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> This is a very confusing place. I wonder which has the most dislikes:
> horseradish or canned anchovies?
>
> You might find this interesting.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDTG0xvl4c
>
> =============
>
> Oh my! Now I wonder if they make VERY small versions of that
> machine))))
>
> btw did you see my previous post? I will be getting lemons tomorrow. How
> much salt did you use?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's a nice machine and the operator knows how to use it! The salt I poured
into my hand until it looked right. Your eyes may vary.

==================

Gulp.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5 Oct 2016 16:18:07 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> Buy some real horseradish, like Silver Spring Prepared Horsradish,
>> Extra Hot, (available at Kroger stores) and mix it with some mayo.
>> Better yet, leave the mayo out.

>Uh, "real horseradish" comes in a root, not a bottle with all sorts of
>added crap. All the bottled horseradish I've tried tastes off.
>
>-sw

Buy the bottled horseradish that is in the refrigerator case. It is
simply grated root and vinegar.
The stuff in the aisles of the supermarket is enhanced with artificial
stuff to make it hot.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-06, Janet B > wrote:

> Buy the bottled horseradish that is in the refrigerator case. It is
> simply grated root and vinegar.

Silver Spring Horseradish IS in the refrigerated case. I buy it cuz
it's truly hot, unlike so many other prepared horseradishes.

My fave is no long available. I usta buy SER horseradish, a
commercial brand that usta provide only to restaurants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.E._Rykoff

Quart jars of the tuff usta come with a warning, a defibrillator, and
an attorney's phone number.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-06 12:49 PM, Janet B wrote:

>> Uh, "real horseradish" comes in a root, not a bottle with all sorts of
>> added crap. All the bottled horseradish I've tried tastes off.
>>
>> -sw

> Buy the bottled horseradish that is in the refrigerator case. It is
> simply grated root and vinegar.
> The stuff in the aisles of the supermarket is enhanced with artificial
> stuff to make it hot.

I like like horseradish with beef on a bun, but when I have roast beef I
would rather have it with a nice home made chili sauce. I was wondering
why he was ranting against bottled because the stuff I get
(refrigerated) is pretty good. I have only had it freshly grated a
couple times. There is no doubt that it is good but horseradish is ready
to harvest in the fall and from what I understand it does not keep well.
You can buy quality preserved horseradish or you can make your own,
but to suggest that there is no good horseradish is idiotic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 16:07:38 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:35:52 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>snip
>>
>>I usually make a sauce when I need it, although I have stored it in
>>the fridge either as a whole root or grated then put in a jar with
>>vinegar and salt. A friend is going to make a big batch of sauce from
>>my horseradish so we'll see how that goes... that is months away yet.

>I'm confused now. What are you talking about. Sauce? or grated
>horseradish?

Well, both in this thread.

>Horseradish Sauce generally is a fresh preparation for a dish. It
>generally requires a quantity of sour cream and fresh cream. It may
>also contain Dijon mustard.

Yep, that is what I am familiar with. I'm not sure what my friend has
in mind, but I do know everything she makes is damned so I'm trusting
her judgment

>Grated Horseradish is the grated root mixed with a small amount of
>white vinegar. This preparation may be held in the refrigerator for
>some months. Pungency weakens with time. Depending upon when you add
>the vinegar, you will either allow the preparation to be hotter or
>weaker as the vinegar halts pungency.
>(I think I got that right. You need to check me on this)

Thanks Janet, that last bit about when to add the vinegar is something
I will have to look into, I never knew that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 12:41:35 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 09:09:42 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:

>> >I never thought that horseradish sauce was supposed to clear your
>> >sinus.

>> I like it pretty strong in most cases. I am definitely not like that
>> when it comes to chilli or curries though, which I prefer on the mild
>> side.

>In my experience, horse radish/wasabi/mustard style heat can be as hot
>as chilli heat, but the heat goes away much faster.

Hmm, that could be why I don't mind strong horseradish. It can blow
you away but it doesnt last long.

>Chilli heat hangs
>around longer, especially if you bit off more than you can chew. "Having
>said that", I love both kinds of heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:40:32 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 08:24:47 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 16:07:38 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Grated Horseradish is the grated root mixed with a small amount of
>>>white vinegar. This preparation may be held in the refrigerator for
>>>some months. Pungency weakens with time. Depending upon when you add
>>>the vinegar, you will either allow the preparation to be hotter or
>>>weaker as the vinegar halts pungency.
>>>(I think I got that right. You need to check me on this)

>> Thanks Janet, that last bit about when to add the vinegar is something
>> I will have to look into, I never knew that.

>I grate my horseradish with a Microplane(tm) about 2-3 TB at a time,
>quickly, then mix with a touch of water just enough to wet it down and
>make it into a ballable paste. Then let it sit for 2.5-5 minutes.
>Then fix the heat level with vinegar. You can taste it as you wait
>those 2-5 minutes to see how it changes. 2 minutes is kinda mild with
>more fresh horseradish flavor. The more heat (5 minutes) the less
>flavor.
>
>I used to wait 2.5, but 5 minutes seems to be about it's peak of heat
>level before fixing it. It probably also depends on which device is
>use to grate/crush it. So I always use the same Microplane.
>
>-sw

I deployed the vinegar too soon last fall and my grated horseradish
was too mild. I'll aim for your 5 minutes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>>
>> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> I saw a Rick Steve's episode, they were in Norway. They were in some historic old cod warehouse, they had dried cod hanging from the rafters, over a hundred years old, and the guy said it would be "edible" still...
>
> So ya see, tert, *years* - old mustard is *young* in "cod years"...

what Norwegians consider edible is a stretch for everyone else

anyhow I know better than to listen to old cod - gers like you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
>> date, may have been in the fridge for years
>>
>> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> I saw a Rick Steve's episode, they were in Norway. They were in some
> historic old cod warehouse, they had dried cod hanging from the rafters,
> over a hundred years old, and the guy said it would be "edible" still...
>
> So ya see, tert, *years* - old mustard is *young* in "cod years"...

what Norwegians consider edible is a stretch for everyone else

anyhow I know better than to listen to old cod - gers like you

===

Ooooooooooooh get 'im <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2016 16:18:07 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> > Buy some real horseradish, like Silver Spring Prepared Horsradish,
> > Extra Hot, (available at Kroger stores) and mix it with some mayo.
> > Better yet, leave the mayo out.

> Uh, "real horseradish" comes in a root, not a bottle with all sorts of
> added crap. All the bottled horseradish I've tried tastes off.

But you just said:
----------------
You can buy something almost identical at the supermarket. I always
have a bottle of this in the fridge.
http://buy.woebermustard.com/product...52d-16oz..html
----------------

You are the Google King, evidently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> The Greatest! wrote:
> > tert in seattle wrote:
> >
> >> there some in a packet at work here, Heinz brand, but it doesn't have a
> >> date, may have been in the fridge for years
> >>
> >> is it supposed to be slightly beige, with specks in it?

> > I saw a Rick Steve's episode, they were in Norway. They were in some historic old cod warehouse, they had dried cod hanging from the rafters, over a hundred years old, and the guy said it would be "edible" still...
> >
> > So ya see, tert, *years* - old mustard is *young* in "cod years"...

> what Norwegians consider edible is a stretch for everyone else
>
> anyhow I know better than to listen to old cod - gers like you

Name FIVE words that include the word "cod"...QUICK, tert...

PS: ya get extra cookies if you include the etymology...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> The Greatest! wrote:

>> > I saw a Rick Steve's episode, they were in Norway. They were in some historic old cod warehouse, they had dried cod hanging from the rafters, over a hundred years old, and the guy said it would be "edible" still...
>> >
>> > So ya see, tert, *years* - old mustard is *young* in "cod years"...

>> what Norwegians consider edible is a stretch for everyone else
>>
>> anyhow I know better than to listen to old cod - gers like you

> Name FIVE words that include the word "cod"...QUICK, tert...
>
> PS: ya get extra cookies if you include the etymology...

codpiece
decode
codependent
coddle
codeine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> The Greatest! wrote:
> > tert in seattle wrote:

> >> what Norwegians consider edible is a stretch for everyone else
> >>
> >> anyhow I know better than to listen to old cod - gers like you

> > Name FIVE words that include the word "cod"...QUICK, tert...
> >
> > PS: ya get extra cookies if you include the etymology...

> codpiece
> decode
> codependent
> coddle
> codeine

Very good, tert...!!!

Now, yer NEXT task:

Use ALL of those above "cod words" in a sentence about OPHELIA...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Greatest! wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> The Greatest! wrote:

>> > Name FIVE words that include the word "cod"...QUICK, tert...
>> >
>> > PS: ya get extra cookies if you include the etymology...

>> codpiece
>> decode
>> codependent
>> coddle
>> codeine

> Very good, tert...!!!
>
> Now, yer NEXT task:
>
> Use ALL of those above "cod words" in a sentence about OPHELIA...

that may get me banned for life