Old 23-09-2016, 12:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy,
but you'll be hit by an attack of the munchies and your best intentions go right out the window?
Well, here's some good news...
http://bit.ly/2cWjGD2

Old 23-09-2016, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.
Old 23-09-2016, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-09-23 11:15 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Healthy versus Healthful: The problem is that some people insist that
you cant say your salad is healthy; you have to say its healthful
because only healthful can mean conducive to good health. The thinking
is that only a living thing can be healthyif were in good health, you
and I can describe ourselves as healthy. Healthy is a personal
characteristic, but things that are dead, things we consume, arent
healthy anymore. If theyre good for us, theyre healthful.

Heres a joke from an 1895 usage guide that played on this kind of
thinking: The physician implied precise English, when, to the inquiry
whether oysters were "healthy at certain seasons, he replied, "I have
never heard one complain of an ache or an ail.

That was the thinking in the 1800s when usage and etiquette writers
railed against healthy and recommended healthful or wholesome. (Of
course these were the same people who said you should call a womans
garment a gown instead of a dress.)

Healthy has long been used to describe things that improve your
constitution. The Oxford English Dictionary shows that healthy has been
used to mean healthful or wholesome since the 1500s. Yet, the rule
makers railed against healthy in the 1800s, and it was in a battle
against healthful for dominance for many years. Ultimately, though,
people voted for a healthy diet instead of a healthful diet.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...y-or-healthful

Old 23-09-2016, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Only in America.

Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
weak appetite of a sick person.

The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
he believes to be correct usage.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 23-09-2016, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Only in America.

Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
weak appetite of a sick person.

The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice".

Yes, it gets used that way here as well.

It's odd
that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
he believes to be correct usage.

The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.
Old 23-09-2016, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 23-09-2016, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-09-23 5:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Only in America.

Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
weak appetite of a sick person.

The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
he believes to be correct usage.

It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

Old 23-09-2016, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-09-23 6:01 PM, Je�us wrote:

It's odd
that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
he believes to be correct usage.

The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

I have lived here all my life. English was my first language, as it was
with my parents, my grandparents, great grandparents and a couple
generations before that. I grew up in an English speaking region, and
"healthy" was always perfectly acceptable.

Old 23-09-2016, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.
Old 23-09-2016, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:13:50 -0400, Dave Smith

Old 23-09-2016, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 2016-09-23 5:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
Old 24-09-2016, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

Youse.
And fercoktah is badly-spelt Yiddish.