FoodBanter.com

-   -   100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/439945-100-healthy-raw-snacks.html)

Nayla Azzahra 23-09-2016 12:57 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy,
but you'll be hit by an attack of the munchies and your best intentions go right out the window?
Well, here's some good news...
http://bit.ly/2cWjGD2

brooklyn1 23-09-2016 04:15 PM

Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:

>Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Dave Smith[_1_] 23-09-2016 04:21 PM

On 2016-09-23 11:15 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:
>>
>> Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

> You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
> Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Healthy versus Healthful: The problem is that some people insist that
you cant say your salad is healthy; you have to say its healthful
because only healthful can mean conducive to good health. The thinking
is that only a living thing can be healthyif were in good health, you
and I can describe ourselves as healthy. Healthy is a personal
characteristic, but things that are dead, things we consume, arent
healthy anymore. If theyre good for us, theyre healthful.

Heres a joke from an 1895 usage guide that played on this kind of
thinking: The physician implied precise English, when, to the inquiry
whether oysters were "healthy at certain seasons, he replied, "I have
never heard one complain of an ache or an ail.

That was the thinking in the 1800s when usage and etiquette writers
railed against healthy and recommended healthful or wholesome. (Of
course these were the same people who said you should call a womans
garment a gown instead of a dress.)

Healthy has long been used to describe things that improve your
constitution. The Oxford English Dictionary shows that healthy has been
used to mean healthful or wholesome since the 1500s. Yet, the rule
makers railed against healthy in the 1800s, and it was in a battle
against healthful for dominance for many years. Ultimately, though,
people voted for a healthy diet instead of a healthful diet.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...y-or-healthful

Jeus[_55_] 23-09-2016 09:17 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:
>>
>>Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

>You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
>Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

Only in America.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 23-09-2016 10:48 PM

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
> >Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:
> >>
> >>Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

> >You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
> >Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

> Only in America.

Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
weak appetite of a sick person.

The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
he believes to be correct usage.

Cindy Hamilton

Jeus[_55_] 23-09-2016 11:01 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>> >You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
>> >Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

>> Only in America.

>Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
>However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
>having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
>weak appetite of a sick person.
>
>The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
>denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
>glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice".

Yes, it gets used that way here as well.

> It's odd
>that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
>when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
>he believes to be correct usage.

The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 23-09-2016 11:07 PM

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:01:54 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1

> >> Only in America.

> >Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
> >However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
> >having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
> >weak appetite of a sick person.
> >
> >The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
> >denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
> >glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice".

> Yes, it gets used that way here as well.
>
> > It's odd
> >that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
> >when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
> >he believes to be correct usage.

> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 23-09-2016 11:08 PM

On 2016-09-23 5:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:

>>> You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
>>> Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

>> Only in America.

> Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
> However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
> having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
> weak appetite of a sick person.
>
> The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
> denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
> glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
> that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
> when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
> he believes to be correct usage.

It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

Dave Smith[_1_] 23-09-2016 11:13 PM

On 2016-09-23 6:01 PM, Je�us wrote:

>> It's odd
>> that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
>> when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
>> he believes to be correct usage.

> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

I have lived here all my life. English was my first language, as it was
with my parents, my grandparents, great grandparents and a couple
generations before that. I grew up in an English speaking region, and
"healthy" was always perfectly acceptable.

Bruce[_28_] 23-09-2016 11:15 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

In article >, says...

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > It's odd that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
> > when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
> > he believes to be correct usage.

> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians.

I think I read it for the first time from Brian the Orthorexic.

Jeus[_55_] 23-09-2016 11:17 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:01:54 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
>> >However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
>> >having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
>> >weak appetite of a sick person.
>> >
>> >The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
>> >denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
>> >glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice".

>> Yes, it gets used that way here as well.
>>
>> > It's odd
>> >that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
>> >when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
>> >he believes to be correct usage.

>> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
>> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
>> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
>> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

>Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
>I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
>grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
>good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
>but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

Jeus[_55_] 23-09-2016 11:18 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:13:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-09-23 6:01 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>>> It's odd
>>> that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
>>> when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
>>> he believes to be correct usage.

>> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
>> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
>> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
>> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

>I have lived here all my life. English was my first language, as it was
>with my parents, my grandparents, great grandparents and a couple
>generations before that. I grew up in an English speaking region, and
>"healthy" was always perfectly acceptable.

Cheers.

Jeus[_55_] 23-09-2016 11:20 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Only in America.

>> Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
>> However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
>> having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
>> weak appetite of a sick person.
>>
>> The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
>> denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
>> glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
>> that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
>> when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
>> he believes to be correct usage.

>It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

Bruce[_28_] 23-09-2016 11:39 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

In article >, says...

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say

"healthy".
> >I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
> >grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
> >good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
> >but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

> Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
> It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
> inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

All languages have that.

S Viemeister[_2_] 24-09-2016 12:05 AM

On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

Youse.
And fercoktah is badly-spelt Yiddish.

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 12:17 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:39:01 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say

>"healthy".
>> >I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
>> >grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
>> >good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
>> >but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

>> Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
>> It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
>> inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

>All languages have that.

Indeed. I was led to believe English was one of the worst offenders
though?

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 12:19 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:05:12 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
>>

>Youse.

That is how I would spell it (I very rarely use it however).

>And fercoktah is badly-spelt Yiddish.

Oh, thanks for the explanation.

Ed Pawlowski 24-09-2016 12:23 AM

On 9/23/2016 7:57 AM, Nayla Azzahra wrote:
> Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy,
> but you'll be hit by an attack of the munchies and your best intentions go right out the window?
> Well, here's some good news...
> http://bit.

Yet you want us to eat SPAM

Bruce[_28_] 24-09-2016 12:26 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

In article >, says...

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:39:01 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
says...

> >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >"healthy".
> >>
> >> Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
> >> It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
> >> inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

> >All languages have that.

> Indeed. I was led to believe English was one of the worst offenders
> though?

I don't know. All languages are an illogical mess with as many rules as
exceptions. I guess because they grow organically over time, not
according to any plan.

Bruce[_28_] 24-09-2016 12:31 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

In article >,
says...

> On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je?us wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
> >> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
> >> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

> > I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
> > Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
> >

> Youse.
> And fercoktah is badly-spelt Yiddish.

Here they say farkakte or verkackte:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddis...d_in_English#F

It's mainly a spoken language, though, so maybe anything goes?

S Viemeister[_2_] 24-09-2016 01:10 AM

On 9/23/2016 7:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>>>
>>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
>>>

>> Youse.
>> And fercoktah is badly-spelt Yiddish.

> Here they say farkakte or verkackte:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddis...d_in_English#F

> It's mainly a spoken language, though, so maybe anything goes?

There is a lot of written Yiddish, but much of it does not use the Roman
alphabet, and transliterations can be odd.

I once worked in a university library, and it took me forever to get
transliterations of the titles of scholarly journals standardised -
everyone who'd ever worked there seemed to have their own personal
preferences.

S Viemeister[_2_] 24-09-2016 01:11 AM

On 9/23/2016 7:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/23/2016 7:57 AM, Nayla Azzahra wrote:
>> Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy,
>> but you'll be hit by an attack of the munchies and your best
>> intentions go right out the window?
>> Well, here's some good news...
>> http://bit.
>>

> Yet you want us to eat SPAM

True mystery meat.

Cheri[_3_] 24-09-2016 07:24 AM

"Jeus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>Nayla THE UNEDUCATED Azzahra wrote:
>>>
>>>Does this sound familiar? You WANT to eat healthy.

>>You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
>>Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

> Only in America.

Not!

Cheri

Ophelia[_14_] 24-09-2016 08:53 AM

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:01:54 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1

> >> Only in America.

> >Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
> >However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
> >having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
> >weak appetite of a sick person.
> >
> >The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
> >denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
> >glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice".

> Yes, it gets used that way here as well.
>
> > It's odd
> >that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
> >when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
> >he believes to be correct usage.

> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

Cindy Hamilton
===============

I had never heard of 'healthfully' until I came he) We would use it the
way you just have or we say we eat healthily.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia[_14_] 24-09-2016 08:58 AM

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

Youse.

==============

That is Weegie too. Can't say I've heard it used anywhere else up here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

[email protected] 24-09-2016 11:38 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:58:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
>>

>Youse.
>
>==============
>
>That is Weegie too. Can't say I've heard it used anywhere else up here.

Youse people, youse hoose - common here, but then, it is NS lol

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 24-09-2016 11:40 AM

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:20:15 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> Perhaps he's alluding to the expression "a healthy appetite".
> >> However, what that means is not eating like a glutton, but
> >> having the appetite of a healthy person, as opposed to the
> >> weak appetite of a sick person.
> >>
> >> The dictionary informs me that--informally--"healthy" can
> >> denote "considerable in size or amount", such as "a healthy
> >> glug of vodka in a pitcher of orange juice". It's odd
> >> that Sheldon would suddenly use the informal definition,
> >> when throughout this thread he's been a stickler for what
> >> he believes to be correct usage.

> >It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
> >As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
> >Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

The "standard" spelling of which is verkakte.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 24-09-2016 11:50 AM

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:17:50 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:01:54 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Yes, it gets used that way here as well.

> >> The only group of people I have ever heard say 'healthfully' or
> >> healthful has been Americans and possibly Canadians. That was the
> >> reason I took issue with Sheldon's comment, just trying to point out
> >> that it isn't universal like he seems to imply.

> >Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
> >I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
> >grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
> >good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
> >but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

> Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
> It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
> inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

On the other hand, it's actually a comparatively easy language to
learn enough to get by. I think its inconsistencies and contradictions
give native speakers the intuition to parse badly mangled English.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 24-09-2016 11:55 AM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:17:50 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Nor is it actually very common in American usage. People say "healthy".
> > >I'm healthy. Broccoli is healthy. Only an idiot would be unable to
> > >grasp from context that I enjoy good health and the broccoli fosters
> > >good health. Oh, perhaps someone whose first language is not English,
> > >but the language is full of those sorts of pitfalls.

> > Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
> > It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
> > inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

> On the other hand, it's actually a comparatively easy language to
> learn enough to get by.

If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.

Nancy Young[_8_] 24-09-2016 01:23 PM

On 9/24/2016 3:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
>>

> Youse.
>
> ==============
>
> That is Weegie too. Can't say I've heard it used anywhere else up here.

Oh, youse guys.

nancy

Ophelia[_14_] 24-09-2016 01:30 PM

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 9/24/2016 3:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
> On 9/23/2016 6:20 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).
>>

> Youse.
>
> ==============
>
> That is Weegie too. Can't say I've heard it used anywhere else up here.

Oh, youse guys.

nancy

==========

LOL you got it:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

brooklyn1 24-09-2016 06:35 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
>Je?us wrote:
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>>> As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>>> Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.

Yoose is Brooklynese for the Southerner's Y'all.

>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

Fercocktah is a transliteration of the Yiddish for crapped up, and
since it's a transliteration there are as many correct English
spellings as those who use the woid... remember Yiddish is not written
with English letters and pronunciation is different.
http://www.bubbygram.com/yiddishglossary.htm
Farcockt: All crapped up. (see Alta Kocker) "It used to be a nice
neighborhood, but now it's all farcockt." As an adjective, it's
"farcockteh." "This is a farcockteh neighborhood."
This may help explain:
http://groupthink.kinja.com/a-guide-...dish-483890863

brooklyn1 24-09-2016 06:41 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 03:40:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:20:15 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >It is even odder that he is such a stickler about an antiquated usage.
>> >As explained in the article I cited, he is about 100 years out of date.
>> >Meanwhile, the "yowse" he so often uses has never been acceptable.

>> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
>> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

>The "standard" spelling of which is verkakte.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Being it's a transliteration there is no standard spelling or
pronunciation.

brooklyn1 24-09-2016 06:45 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:55:43 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:17:50 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
>> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:07:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> > Indeed. I would hate to have to learn English as a second language.
>> > It must be one of the most difficult languages to learn in terms of
>> > inconsistencies and apparent contradictions.

>> On the other hand, it's actually a comparatively easy language to
>> learn enough to get by.

>If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.

Um, most named Jesus speak Spanish/Spanglish: Haysoose

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 24-09-2016 07:45 PM

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 1:41:52 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 03:40:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:20:15 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> I think it's spelt 'yoose', or something like that.
> >> Then there's his frequent use of 'fercoktah' (sp).

> >The "standard" spelling of which is verkakte.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Being it's a transliteration there is no standard spelling or
> pronunciation.

That's why I put "standard" in quotes. However, because of
Yiddish's roots in German as well as Hebrew, verkakte makes
more sense linguistically than fercocktah, although I see
that farkakte is the Standard Yiddish Orthography for the word.

I think you just like the string "cock" embedded in your
preferred spelling.

Cindy Hamilton

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 09:03 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:45:20 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:55:43 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
says...

>>> On the other hand, it's actually a comparatively easy language to
>>> learn enough to get by.

>>If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.

>Um, most named Jesus speak Spanish/Spanglish: Haysoose

Yeah, but they're all just wanna-be knock-off Jesuses.

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 09:04 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 03:50:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Yes, it probably helps.

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 09:08 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 09:26:11 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:39:01 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
says...

>> >"healthy".

>> >All languages have that.

>> Indeed. I was led to believe English was one of the worst offenders
>> though?

>I don't know. All languages are an illogical mess with as many rules as
>exceptions. I guess because they grow organically over time, not
>according to any plan.

Indeed. Asian languages sound most alien to me, I'm more comfortable
with German and Russian/Ukrainian, but only because of my family
background.

Jeus[_55_] 24-09-2016 09:10 PM

100 Healthy Raw Snacks And Treats

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 23:24:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Jeus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>>>You want to eat HEALTHFULLY!
>>>Eating "healthy" means eating huge portions.

>> Only in America.

>Not!

No?

Ed Pawlowski 24-09-2016 10:34 PM

On 9/24/2016 4:03 PM, Je�us wrote:

>>> If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.

>> Um, most named Jesus speak Spanish/Spanglish: Haysoose

> Yeah, but they're all just wanna-be knock-off Jesuses.

Right, the bible is printed in English so that verifies Jesus spoke it.