Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let go of that EGGO!

Kellogg Co. K, -0.17% said it is voluntarily recalling 10,000 cases of
Eggo waffles on concerns they have been exposed to listeria. The cereal
maker said the recall is of Eggo Nutri-Grain Whole Wheat Waffles that
were sold in 25 states, including New York and New Jersey. There have
been no reports of illness to date, the company said in a statement.
"The recall is a result of routine tests that the company conducts which
identified the potential for contamination," said the statement.
Listeria causes symptoms including high fever, severe headache,
stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Kellogg shares were
slightly higher in early trade, and are up 9% in the year so far, while
the S&P 500 SPX, +0.25% has gained about 5%.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent > wrote in news:nrrhk2$v6e$1
@dont-email.me:

> Kellogg Co. K, -0.17% said it is voluntarily recalling 10,000 cases of
> Eggo waffles on concerns they have been exposed to listeria. The cereal
> maker said the recall is of Eggo Nutri-Grain Whole Wheat Waffles that
> were sold in 25 states, including New York and New Jersey. There have
> been no reports of illness to date, the company said in a statement.
> "The recall is a result of routine tests that the company conducts

which
> identified the potential for contamination," said the statement.
> Listeria causes symptoms including high fever, severe headache,
> stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Kellogg shares were
> slightly higher in early trade, and are up 9% in the year so far, while
> the S&P 500 SPX, +0.25% has gained about 5%.

I wonder what companies do with recalled food? Insurance? Sell it cheap
in some poor country? Destroy it? Other?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/20/2016 10:26 AM, KenK wrote:
> Taxed and Spent > wrote in news:nrrhk2$v6e$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> Kellogg Co. K, -0.17% said it is voluntarily recalling 10,000 cases of
>> Eggo waffles on concerns they have been exposed to listeria. The cereal
>> maker said the recall is of Eggo Nutri-Grain Whole Wheat Waffles that
>> were sold in 25 states, including New York and New Jersey. There have
>> been no reports of illness to date, the company said in a statement.
>> "The recall is a result of routine tests that the company conducts

> which
>> identified the potential for contamination," said the statement.
>> Listeria causes symptoms including high fever, severe headache,
>> stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Kellogg shares were
>> slightly higher in early trade, and are up 9% in the year so far, while
>> the S&P 500 SPX, +0.25% has gained about 5%.
>>

> I wonder what companies do with recalled food? Insurance? Sell it cheap
> in some poor country? Destroy it? Other?

Recalled food is doused with chlorine bleach or some disinfectant, to
render it completely unfit for (human) consumption. Then off to the
landfill.

I saw an example of this recently while waiting for a pizza. I could see
directly into the kitchen and a person was dumping out pounds of salami
and other toppings directly into a standard 33-gallon trash can that was
nearly full. Every so often, he would sprinkle some white powder on top
of it. I can pretty well guarantee it wasn't Parmesan.

Such a waste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2016 9:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 07:38:02 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> "The recall is a result of routine tests that the company conducts which
>> identified the potential for contamination,"

> Don't you just love the way manufacturers skirt around the facts? The
> FACT is that they tested POSITIVE for listeria.
>
> -sw

Don't blame Kellogg for some news outlet's cut and paste job:

BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Sept. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Kellogg Company
today announced a voluntary recall of approximately 10,000 cases of
Kellogg's® Eggo® Nutri-Grain® Whole Wheat Waffles because they have the
potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. No other Eggo
products are impacted by this recall.

Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections
in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened
immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term
symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea,
abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages
and stillbirths among pregnant women.

The company has received no reports of illness to date but is taking
this action as part of its commitment to the health and safety of the
people who eat its foods.

HOW TO IDENTIFY THE RECALLED PRODUCT

Recalled product was distributed to customers and retailers in 25 states
(CO, CT, DE, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, NH, NJ,
NY, OH, PA, VA, VT, WI, WY). The affected product is:
View News Release Full Screen

Description

UPC Code

Size

Better If Used Before
Date

Kellogg's ® Eggo® Nutri-Grain®
Whole Wheat Waffles

38000 40370

12.3 oz (10 ct)

NOV21 17 and NOV22 17

The date code can be found on the side of the package. Images of the
product can be found at www.kelloggs.com/eggorecall.

The recall is a result of routine tests that the company conducts which
identified the potential for contamination. As soon as the company
learned of a potential concern, it moved quickly to identify any foods
that might be impacted and resolve the issue.

Kellogg is asking that people who purchased affected product discard it
and contact the company for a full refund. Consumers can call
1-800-962-1413, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET or by visiting
https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/contact-us.html

SOURCE Kellogg Company

For further information: , 269.961.3799
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2016 12:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/21/2016 3:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:06:14 -0700, Whirled Peas wrote:
>>
>>> I saw an example of this recently while waiting for a pizza. I could see
>>> directly into the kitchen and a person was dumping out pounds of salami
>>> and other toppings directly into a standard 33-gallon trash can that was
>>> nearly full. Every so often, he would sprinkle some white powder on top
>>> of it. I can pretty well guarantee it wasn't Parmesan.

>> Are you nuts?
>>
>> Retailers do not purposely poison the food they have to throw away.
>> That would make them extremely liable when there was practically no
>> liability previously.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> May have been baking soda so it would not stink while it rotted.

That sounds more likely, Ed.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 02:12:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:06:14 -0700, Whirled Peas wrote:
>
>> I saw an example of this recently while waiting for a pizza. I could see
>> directly into the kitchen and a person was dumping out pounds of salami
>> and other toppings directly into a standard 33-gallon trash can that was
>> nearly full. Every so often, he would sprinkle some white powder on top
>> of it. I can pretty well guarantee it wasn't Parmesan.

>Are you nuts?
>
>Retailers do not purposely poison the food they have to throw away.
>That would make them extremely liable when there was practically no
>liability previously.

Well... not *poisoned* as such, but I do know that in Australia, meat
thrown away by the major supermarkets used to be covered in a blue dye
of some sort, presumably to make it less appealing to dumpster divers.
Only heard about this in one state though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was the director of a food pantry for 20 years. During that time, the church got flooded with 5 ft of water, and we lost a huge closet full of stored food. Even though much of it was stored on upper shelves and was untouched by water, it all had to be disposed of. Because we worked with government surplus food, the clipboard men got involved. It all needed to be brought to the dump. In the three days it took to get the clipboard men involved the bags of pasta and oatmeal bloated and erupted, so shovels and many trash cans were needed for cleanup. My teenaged son and I spent hours emptying out that room and literally pouring it all into my pickup truck bed. The weather was in the extra muggy high 80°s that week, so needless to say, it was hell.

I was told to meet clipboard man at the dump. He showed up in a white shirt and business suit. He wanted me to remove each item, one by one, so he could do his own inventory on his little clipboard, it didn't matter to him that I already had a current inventory for him. By then I was filthy, hot, and decidedly not in a good mood so I told him to feel free to get his skinny ass up on the truck and count things himself, and I gave my son the wave to proceed up the hill and start dumping. Clipboard man starts screaming that I'm not doing it right and I laughed as I got into the other truck and drove up the hill. Clipboard man then jumps into his car and follows us up the hill, runs to the edge of the large hole in the ground and yells at my son who is now shoveling the oozing mass of spoiled food and hundreds of now unlabeled canned goods into the dump hole. Once he saw what we were actually working with, he turned a little green around the gills and shut up.

Myself, clipboard man, and the dump superintendent all had to formally "witness" the guy in the huge dump stuff crusher machine pulverize every single can to assure that no one would try to resell any of this miserable stuff. The government is extremely picky with bad food, but the story of the clipboard man will always give me a good laugh. The spoiled food was covered by church insurance.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2016 9:13 AM, wrote:
> I was the director of a food pantry for 20 years. During that time, the church got flooded with 5 ft of water, and we lost a huge closet full of stored food. Even though much of it was stored on upper shelves and was untouched by water, it all had to be disposed of. Because we worked with government surplus food, the clipboard men got involved. It all needed to be brought to the dump. In the three days it took to get the clipboard men involved the bags of pasta and oatmeal bloated and erupted, so shovels and many trash cans were needed for cleanup. My teenaged son and I spent hours emptying out that room and literally pouring it all into my pickup truck bed. The weather was in the extra muggy high 80°s that week, so needless to say, it was hell.
>
> I was told to meet clipboard man at the dump. He showed up in a white shirt and business suit. He wanted me to remove each item, one by one, so he could do his own inventory on his little clipboard, it didn't matter to him that I already had a current inventory for him. By then I was filthy, hot, and decidedly not in a good mood so I told him to feel free to get his skinny ass up on the truck and count things himself, and I gave my son the wave to proceed up the hill and start dumping. Clipboard man starts screaming that I'm not doing it right and I laughed as I got into the other truck and drove up the hill. Clipboard man then jumps into his car and follows us up the hill, runs to the edge of the large hole in the ground and yells at my son who is now shoveling the oozing mass of spoiled food and hundreds of now unlabeled canned goods into the dump hole. Once he saw what we were actually working with, he turned a little green around the gills and shut up.
>
> Myself, clipboard man, and the dump superintendent all had to formally "witness" the guy in the huge dump stuff crusher machine pulverize every single can to assure that no one would try to resell any of this miserable stuff. The government is extremely picky with bad food, but the story of the clipboard man will always give me a good laugh. The spoiled food was covered by church insurance.

Your church has insurance? I thought you would rely on Big G for that:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2016 02:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/21/2016 12:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Are you nuts?
>>>
>>> Retailers do not purposely poison the food they have to throw away.
>>> That would make them extremely liable when there was practically no
>>> liability previously.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> May have been baking soda so it would not stink while it rotted.

> That sounds more likely, Ed.
>
> Jill

Original Poster here. No, I'm not nuts. Here's one story of using bleach
that happened in Nevada. Executive summary: a farm-to-fork organization
had set up a dinner spotlighting local farm products for their
customers. Health inspector shows up and demands the food be destroyed
by dumping it in a trash can and pouring bleach over it.

<http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/blog/2011/10/24/quail-hollow-farm-dinner/>

Here's a 10-page pdf from the Missouri State Health Department stating
rules for disposing of condemned food. On page 4, section 12.A.IV, it
says that "distressed" food should be denatured by pouring bleach over it.

<http://health.mo.gov/atoz/ehog/pdf/Ch_3.5.pdf>

Other links even suggest using slaked lime to denature the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2016 1:11 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:

> Original Poster here. No, I'm not nuts. Here's one story of using bleach
> that happened in Nevada. Executive summary: a farm-to-fork organization
> had set up a dinner spotlighting local farm products for their
> customers. Health inspector shows up and demands the food be destroyed
> by dumping it in a trash can and pouring bleach over it.
>
> <http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/blog/2011/10/24/quail-hollow-farm-dinner/>

OMG, that is a real horror story and abuse of power. I can imagine the
supervisor on the phone having an orgasm every time she issued an order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2016 2:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2016 1:11 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>

>> Original Poster here. No, I'm not nuts. Here's one story of using bleach
>> that happened in Nevada. Executive summary: a farm-to-fork organization
>> had set up a dinner spotlighting local farm products for their
>> customers. Health inspector shows up and demands the food be destroyed
>> by dumping it in a trash can and pouring bleach over it.
>>
>> <http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/blog/2011/10/24/quail-hollow-farm-dinner/>
>>

> OMG, that is a real horror story and abuse of power. I can imagine the
> supervisor on the phone having an orgasm every time she issued an order.

Seems to me I've heard this "story" before. If/when I invite people
over for dinner the authorities don't know about it nor do they care to
investigate what I'm serving for dinner.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, my church has insurance. It bought us a great big newly built room and enough money to replace the government food we lost. We got nothing from the government in way of extra food to help us through. A young man working for his Eagle Scout project was nice enough to build us all new heavy duty shelving. All in all, the flooding was a blessing for the food pantry.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:04:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:01:44 +1000, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Well... not *poisoned* as such, but I do know that in Australia, meat
>> thrown away by the major supermarkets used to be covered in a blue dye
>> of some sort, presumably to make it less appealing to dumpster divers.
>> Only heard about this in one state though.

>They probably did that so that the packages could not be returned to
>the store for cash by people claiming they bought it.

Yep, makes sense.

Eggo Cakes Nicholas Forystek Recipes 0 19-11-2015 06:16 PM
Where's My Eggo> sf[_19_] General Cooking 21 20-11-2009 01:34 AM
Sandy Eggo Cookin David Barto General Cooking 5 15-06-2004 01:57 AM
Sandy Eggo Cookin kalanamak General Cooking 13 06-06-2004 10:36 PM
Dinner with RFC'ers in Sandy Eggo? Christine Dabney General Cooking 1 19-04-2004 04:03 AM