Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default News from the local "meat market"

Islands Meat Market

This place is owned by a husband and wife team. The wife fancies
herself a cook. I subscribed to their email list a long time ago, back
when the main focus was it was a meat market/butcher shop.

These days I find these emails amusing. Today:

"This week we have steak and ale pies with onion and mushrooms,
shepherds pie, potato salad, beef encillada, lump crab meat and Swiss
cheese quiche, strawberry and apple fruit pies, lemon meringue pies and
German chocolate pies. I agree we are a litftle weighty on the sweet
pies. The cup cake for this week is peaches and cream, see above."

I do not consider this a meat market. It's a market where the woman
wants to sell her homemade food without having to operate a restaurant.

I tried her "lasagna" once. It was dry as the Mohave desert. Ugh.

This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 7:40:31 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Islands Meat Market
>
> This place is owned by a husband and wife team. The wife fancies
> herself a cook. I subscribed to their email list a long time ago, back
> when the main focus was it was a meat market/butcher shop.
>
> These days I find these emails amusing. Today:
>
> "This week we have steak and ale pies with onion and mushrooms,
> shepherds pie, potato salad, beef encillada, lump crab meat and Swiss
> cheese quiche, strawberry and apple fruit pies, lemon meringue pies and
> German chocolate pies. I agree we are a litftle weighty on the sweet
> pies. The cup cake for this week is peaches and cream, see above."
>
> I do not consider this a meat market. It's a market where the woman
> wants to sell her homemade food without having to operate a restaurant.
>
> I tried her "lasagna" once. It was dry as the Mohave desert. Ugh.
>
> This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
> customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.
>
> Jill

Does she sell many of her 'goodies?'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
> customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
money, pound for pound, on it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2016 12:20 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 20:40:26 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I do not consider this a meat market. It's a market where the woman
>> wants to sell her homemade food without having to operate a restaurant.

> Yeah, but does you meat market have a couch next to the miniscule meat
> display?
>
> (Shown in the photos on the front page here)
> https://www.yelp.com/biz/lees-meat-market-austin
>
> And he
> https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...Cv IQoioIbzAN

Okay, that's pretty bad. No couch in this place.

> This place is a bigger joke than your meat market, I bet. These
> people are nazis. Somebody needs to beat them over the head with a
> customer service bat. At least they're somewhat friendly at your
> store.
>
> -sw

Somewhat friendly? The first time I bought something there the woman
said, "You DO realize this is $20?" Sheesh, woman, don't talk down to
your customers.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2016 9:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/18/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
>> customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

> I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
> butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
> gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
> money, pound for pound, on it.
>
> nancy

I don't know. I do know they seem to offer more frozen items and her
prepared food from a cold case than they do actual meat. The lasagna we
tried truly sucked. Dry and tasteless, as if she only used tomato paste
rather than sauce. Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:03:10 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 8/18/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
> > customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

> I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
> butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
> gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
> money, pound for pound, on it.

That's what people want these days. They don't enjoy cooking, come
home too tired to cook anyway and just want to put some food in their
stomach. Why else would the hot food bar at grocery stores like Whole
Foods be so popular? Compared to dining out, it's cheap eats.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:50:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/19/2016 9:03 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 8/18/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
> >> customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

> > I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
> > butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
> > gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
> > money, pound for pound, on it.
> >
> > nancy

> I don't know. I do know they seem to offer more frozen items and her
> prepared food from a cold case than they do actual meat. The lasagna we
> tried truly sucked. Dry and tasteless, as if she only used tomato paste
> rather than sauce. Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.

It must be just like mama used to make for the people who do buy it,
otherwise why go back for more?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2016 11:36 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:50:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
>>> butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
>>> gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
>>> money, pound for pound, on it.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> I don't know. I do know they seem to offer more frozen items and her
>> prepared food from a cold case than they do actual meat. The lasagna we
>> tried truly sucked. Dry and tasteless, as if she only used tomato paste
>> rather than sauce. Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.
>>

> It must be just like mama used to make for the people who do buy it,
> otherwise why go back for more?

Mama used to make very poorly it in the UK, then, because that's where
she is from.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/18/2016 8:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > This is an example of poor advertising and not understanding your
> > customer base if you are presenting yourself as a meat market.

> I wonder if it's what they have to do to survive. We have a nice
> butcher shop in town, they are usually busy but they have also
> gone to selling a lot of prepared foods. They probably make better
> money, pound for pound, on it.
>
> nancy

As people spend less time teaching their kids how to cook, premade
makes a winner and you can add far more than the cost of the food in
the sales price.

Sadly this is why so many people can't 'make it' on their income. It's
ok to get a special now and again, but if you can't cook, you are
paying extreme prices.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.

Well gee...I'm heating up a Stouffer's Meat Lovers lasagna right now as
we speak. That will be dinner tonight. And some garlic toast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 17:09:47 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.

> > Well gee...I'm heating up a Stouffer's Meat Lovers lasagna right now as
> > we speak. That will be dinner tonight. And some garlic toast.

> The last couple Stouffers lasagnas I've had have been over-generous
> with the sauce - hardly any noodle (or cheese).

That reminds me of Andy(tm). He often ate Lloyd's barbeque. I tried it
once and never again. It was like 6 ounces of pork swimming in 10 ounces
of tomato sauce.

Stouffers lasagna is ok but never near as good as a giant dish of
homemade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2016 6:04 PM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Well gee...I'm heating up a Stouffer's Meat Lovers lasagna right now as
>>> we speak. That will be dinner tonight. And some garlic toast.

>> The last couple Stouffers lasagnas I've had have been over-generous
>> with the sauce - hardly any noodle (or cheese).

> That reminds me of Andy(tm). He often ate Lloyd's barbeque. I tried it
> once and never again. It was like 6 ounces of pork swimming in 10 ounces
> of tomato sauce.
>
> Stouffers lasagna is ok but never near as good as a giant dish of
> homemade.

True, but I always keep a couple in the freezer at work in case I don't
have a lunch to bring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:58:50 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/19/2016 11:36 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:50:44 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I don't know. I do know they seem to offer more frozen items and her
> >> prepared food from a cold case than they do actual meat. The lasagna we
> >> tried truly sucked. Dry and tasteless, as if she only used tomato paste
> >> rather than sauce. Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.
> >>

> > It must be just like mama used to make for the people who do buy it,
> > otherwise why go back for more?
> >

> Mama used to make very poorly it in the UK, then, because that's where
> she is from.

Except I was talking about her customers.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Stouffer's frozen lasagna is 100% better.

> Well gee...I'm heating up a Stouffer's Meat Lovers lasagna right now
> as we speak. That will be dinner tonight. And some garlic toast.

I'm muching out on home made serious meat sauce and spagetti.

In the oven is also 2lbs bread proofing/rising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 7:37:22 AM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 8/19/2016 12:20 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 20:40:26 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I do not consider this a meat market. It's a market where the woman
> >> wants to sell her homemade food without having to operate a restaurant..

> > Yeah, but does you meat market have a couch next to the miniscule meat
> > display?
> >
> > (Shown in the photos on the front page here)
> > https://www.yelp.com/biz/lees-meat-market-austin
> >
> > And he
> > https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...Cv IQoioIbzAN
> >

> Okay, that's pretty bad. No couch in this place.
>
> > This place is a bigger joke than your meat market, I bet. These
> > people are nazis. Somebody needs to beat them over the head with a
> > customer service bat. At least they're somewhat friendly at your
> > store.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Somewhat friendly? The first time I bought something there the woman
> said, "You DO realize this is $20?" Sheesh, woman, don't talk down to
> your customers.
>
> Jill

Squertzy refers to these people as Nazis...what a joke. More like Nazi meets Nazi when he appears in their shop. I've seen worse believe me. Kinda 'homey" in a lot of ways.
Squertz is a perfectionist when it comes to food...he's the man.

=====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curious....what oven temp for oven proofing? I always proof on top the
stove (it's a glass-top) because it is pretty warm when the oven is on...
too warm, actually, so I put the bowl of dough on top an overturned shallow
baking pan so the bowl isn't directly on the warm top (and then over it with a lightweight cloth).
I usually turn the oven to 200 or 250F.

But I noticed the proofing drawers on the Great British Baking Show, and
wished I had one of those.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-19, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> Stouffers lasagna is ok but never near as good as a giant dish of
>> homemade.

Plus, Stouffer's is now owned by Nestlé.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 05:26:02 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> But I noticed the proofing drawers on the Great British Baking Show, and
> wished I had one of those.

Some ovens have a proof setting now. My DD has one of those - too bad
she doesn't make bread.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Curious....what oven temp for oven proofing? I always proof on top
> the stove (it's a glass-top) because it is pretty warm when the oven
> is on... too warm, actually, so I put the bowl of dough on top an
> overturned shallow baking pan so the bowl isn't directly on the warm
> top (and then over it with a lightweight cloth). I usually turn the
> oven to 200 or 250F.
>
> But I noticed the proofing drawers on the Great British Baking Show,
> and wished I had one of those.
>
> N.

Not real sure. I turn on the light in the oven and let it rest there,
then once proofed, I take it out and rise to baking temp then bake it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Curious....what oven temp for oven proofing? I always proof on top
>> the stove (it's a glass-top) because it is pretty warm when the oven
>> is on... too warm, actually, so I put the bowl of dough on top an
>> overturned shallow baking pan so the bowl isn't directly on the warm
>> top (and then over it with a lightweight cloth). I usually turn the
>> oven to 200 or 250F.
>>
>> But I noticed the proofing drawers on the Great British Baking Show,
>> and wished I had one of those.
>>
>> N.

> Not real sure. I turn on the light in the oven and let it rest there,
> then once proofed, I take it out and rise to baking temp then bake it.

My fairly new oven has a proof feature, but I've never used it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

....damn, I thought my oven was new. Ha. I still think of my kitchen as new,
but when I actually think about it, it was remodeled 10 years ago. Time flies.

N.