Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No tipping policies

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 09:08:44 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>>>It is my real world where I can't recall ever seeing someone so disabled
>>>that need to get help at a self service gas bar. I do know there are
>>>people who go to full service stations because they do not like to pump
>>>gas for one reason or another. You keep carrying on as if it is quite
>>>common in your world.
>>>

>> Could it be you are so self centred that you just don't happen to
>> notice people with severe disabilities ? When disabled myself after a
>> knee op and having to use a walker, I was amazed at how kindly people
>> were to me, holding doors etc and making my passage easier. Perhaps
>> because we supply a lot of the military we do more commonly see badly
>> disabled vets.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm through with all this - have the last word - to me I feel
>> a disadvantaged person deserves consideration, I'm quite happy to go
>> the extra to make sure they can be as independent as possible. I am
>> heartily glad NS is more kindly than Ontario, figures!

>Except one cranky old man doesn't represent Ontario anymore than that portly
>buffoon in Texas represents the Lone Star State.
>
>Cheri

lol, we refer to them as upper Canadians here, so we won't be mistaken
for them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:09:09 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> The deceased is placed adjacent to the drive-through window, and mourners
>> can view the body without leaving their car.

>That is so messed up. The human race needs to be replaced.

I notice that death rites are changing quite fast now, even in places
you least expect it. I went to the memorial for an old vet I knew and
played bridge with, it was an RC church and the service was short,
light and his grandsons spoke. Then as it ended, this portly old
priest said 'No gloom now, Murph would have disliked that, just boogie
on up the hall for some grub' and he proceeded to do so. Murph would
have loved that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:11:58 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:34:11 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>>
>>> "Ophelia" wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>> T...
>>>
>>> In article >,

>>> says...

says...

>>> Yes, in English "Latin", but who knows how the Romans pronounced words?
>>> I'm not saying that they can't have rhymed, btw.
>>>
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> Actually I think I am wrong. Memory tells me it is Regeena!
>>>
>>> Oh dear, my memory these days. Well, it was a long time ago
>>>
>>> ------------------
>>>
>>> I used to sing the mass in Latin. Are you saying that was 'English' Latin?

>>Yes, just like they taught me 'Dutch' Latin etc.

>Would have been more logical for you to be taught pig latin.

We taught ourselves that, and sign language, because we were not
allowed to talk after lights out in the dormitories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> 2. The blind person might be a passenger.

LOL! I doubt the blind person would be the one driving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> The deceased is placed adjacent to the drive-through window, and mourners
> >> can view the body without leaving their car.

> > That is so messed up. The human race needs to be replaced.

> Obviously the person being viewed in the window is doing their part. ;-)
>
> Cheri

There ya go! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 12:01 PM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> There are drive-through funeral homes.

> WTH??? LMAO! NO WAY!~

Fortunately, a rarity.
http://time.com/3517280/drive-thru-c...-funeral-home/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...wing/15693543/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-20 12:23 PM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> 2. The blind person might be a passenger.

> LOL! I doubt the blind person would be the one driving.

I am glad that at least one person saw some humour in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 7:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> Err my mind is running riot here, please define the 'drive-through
>> funeral homes'
>>

> Casket is in a window and you can drive up and pay your respects. The
> good news is, there are only a few in existence.
>
> --------------------
>
> Good grief!!

Precisely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 06:41:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>> Yep. Walgreen's (although they are ridiculously priced) and even my
>>> grocery store has a drive thru pharmacy. I suspect Gary is being
>>> purposefully obtuse.
>>>
>>> Of course, you don't tip the person at the drive-thru pharmacy. Nor do
>>> you ask them how much they make per hour so you can figure out whether
>>> or not you should be tipping them. LOL
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Walgreens is one of those places that always smells slightly bad
>>not as bad as dollar tree ... more like k mart

> Now we know that Tert is the kind of poofta who sucks the farts from
> theater seets... the military can use Tert as a fart sniffing K-9

it's "tert", not "Tert"

dumbass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 8/20/2016 12:01 PM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> There are drive-through funeral homes.

> WTH??? LMAO! NO WAY!~

Fortunately, a rarity.
http://time.com/3517280/drive-thru-c...-funeral-home/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...wing/15693543/

----------------------------

"There also a deposit opening for leaving donations, cars or memory items.
And behind a door is a retractable guest book that drive thru mourners can
sign."

CARS?????

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 3:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message
> T...
>
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>> T...
>>
>> In article >,

says...

>> > says...

>> way is

>> > Well if you learned Latin at school, you would know it has to be
>> > Regina, rhyming with vagina.

>> I bet you were taught to pronounce Latin as if it was English. And I bet
>> both vagina and regina were pronounced differently by the Romans than
>> they are by the English.
>> ---------------
>>
>> Well we did Latin at school and Regina does indeed rhyme.

> Yes, in English "Latin", but who knows how the Romans pronounced words?
> I'm not saying that they can't have rhymed, btw.
>
> ---------
>
> Actually I think I am wrong. Memory tells me it is Regeena!
>
> Oh dear, my memory these days. Well, it was a long time ago

In the Linnaean system of nomenclature, Brits always pronounce a long
"i" as in "sight" for example. The continentals either use the short "i"
as in "pin" or the "ee" sound, IME of course.
For example, the word "trilete" in English Latin is "try-leet" whereas
in Europe it is either "tree-late" or "trill-ate".

Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:35:02 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 8/20/2016 10:21 AM, wrote:

>>> That is so messed up. The human race needs to be replaced.

>> I notice that death rites are changing quite fast now, even in places
>> you least expect it. I went to the memorial for an old vet I knew and
>> played bridge with, it was an RC church and the service was short,
>> light and his grandsons spoke. Then as it ended, this portly old
>> priest said 'No gloom now, Murph would have disliked that, just boogie
>> on up the hall for some grub' and he proceeded to do so. Murph would
>> have loved that.
>>

>Different to an RC funeral I attended. The son of a friend died from
>cancer in his 30s leaving a young widow and two elementary school-aged
>sons.
>The priest saw fit to preach a hell-fire and damnation "homily", the
>*******, no compassion. To this day I regret not giving him a piece of
>my mind afterwards.
>Graham

I know what you mean - years ago a friends car slid on some ice, went
into the ditch and she crushed the baby against the dashboard (prior
to seat belts and baby seats) It was a couple of days before Xmas and
they held the funeral on Xmas Eve so the other three children could
have Xmas.

It was terrible to see such a tiny, white coffin. When the priest
preached he said that they had given their dearest possession to
Christ at Xmas Stupid man, good job he was not married with kids
if he honestly believed that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 09:08:44 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 09:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Could it be you are so self centred that you just don't happen to
>>> notice people with severe disabilities ? When disabled myself after a
>>> knee op and having to use a walker, I was amazed at how kindly people
>>> were to me, holding doors etc and making my passage easier. Perhaps
>>> because we supply a lot of the military we do more commonly see badly
>>> disabled vets.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm through with all this - have the last word - to me I feel
>>> a disadvantaged person deserves consideration, I'm quite happy to go
>>> the extra to make sure they can be as independent as possible. I am
>>> heartily glad NS is more kindly than Ontario, figures!

>>Except one cranky old man doesn't represent Ontario anymore than that
>>portly
>>buffoon in Texas represents the Lone Star State.
>>
>>Cheri

> lol, we refer to them as upper Canadians here, so we won't be mistaken
> for them

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:

> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
> Cheri

Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
flowers in return. Would you like a video too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:

> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
> Cheri

Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
flowers in return. Would you like a video too?

-----------

That you pushing your luck, Ed? <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:34:11 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> >says...
> >>
> >> I used to sing the mass in Latin. Are you saying that was
> >> 'English' Latin?

> >Yes, just like they taught me 'Dutch' Latin etc.

> Would have been more logical for you to be taught pig latin.

Miesmacher!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 3:15:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
> >

> > View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
> > Cheri
> >

> Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
> flowers in return. Would you like a video too?

Since you'd be attired (customarily) in your best suit after death,
it would be appropriate to dress that way in the photos that you send
to Cheri.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 9:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
>> Cheri
>>

> Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
> flowers in return. Would you like a video too?

My guess is that if you told her she had a beautiful body, she would
hold it against you. I sure as hell would.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 22:30:59 -0600, graham > wrote:

> On 8/19/2016 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:36:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I knew that restaurants in France are required to indicate on the bill
> >> of service is included. A server in Paris told me that Paris is exempt
> >> from that requirement because in Paris the service is always included.
> >> Many tourists are not aware of that and, not knowing they are already
> >> paying 15% service, the leave more.
> >>

> > Not all tourists are stupid. French law does not require that service
> > charges be distributed to waiters, so the server might not get any of
> > it and we have the right to leave extra if we wish. I don't think
> > that's against French law - yet.
> >

> Waiting is an honourable profession in France and one has to go to a
> hospitality school to be trained. We were waited on by a trainee doing a
> 3 month "stage" when we were in Bordeaux a couple of years ago. They are
> salaried and not paid the miserable wages that are paid in N.America
> with the expectation that they will make it up in tips.

I'm glad for them, but I'm all for tipping anyway - although not at
the double digit rate that we tip here. There's no excuse for the way
we treat the wait-staff in N. America.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

wrote:
> >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:41:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Yes, we go for cremation immediately. My first experience this side
> >> of the Pond was a neighbour. We dutifully went to the funeral parlour
> >> and when she took us up to the coffin - er casket - there was poor
> >> George lying there amidst all this satin, totally alien to his
> >> personality. To my horror his widow went over to him and asked me "Do
> >> you think he looks better with or without his glasses?" and whipped
> >> them off his face
> >>

> > I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
> > as they lived!
> > Graham

> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too. I don't view
> bodies anymore...ever. Thankfully all of my relatives have opted for
> cremation in the past years, with no viewing, so it's all as good as it can
> be.
>
> Cheri

When my son's father in law died in rural Ireland, he (son) was amazed
by the traditional wake, which went on for days.
There was a church Mass (with the coffin) before the body was brought
to the house and displayed in the open coffin, constantly attended. For
two days hundreds of people came all day and evening to say goodbye to
him and pay their respects to the family. They were all offered food and
drink ( much of which they had brought, there was a stream of people
delivering home-made food to the back door of the farm before
presenting themselves at the front door for the formal visitation Each
night the body was in the house, family members sat up all night with
it. Finally the coffin was closed and taken back to church for the
funeral and burial.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> wrote in message ...

>>>I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
>>>as they lived!
>>>Graham

>> Correct !
>>
>> -------------------
>>
>> We have decided to be cremated with no showing and no service.

> Same with us, and whichever goes last will scatter the others ashes with
> our
> dogs ashes.
>
> Cheri
> ----------------------
>
> !!!!!!!!! Our dog's ashes are on our fireplace and our will states that
> their ashes will be scattered with ours ..............
>
> Wow.
>
> ))))

Yes, Sophie is in an urn on the hall table. We have arrangements for Annie
as well in case she outlives us through our son.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
>> Cheri
>>

> Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
> flowers in return. Would you like a video too?

No, if you are my friend, I will see you when you're alive, not when you're
dead...and if you were my friend, you would have received the flowers while
you could still smell them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
>
> On 8/20/2016 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too.
>> Cheri
>>

> Let me get this straight. If I send you photos of my body you will send
> flowers in return. Would you like a video too?
>
> -----------
>
> That you pushing your luck, Ed? <g>

We actually had a friend that did a eulogy party for himself several years
before he died. Everyone was dressed in black and he was dressed in white.
It was a roaring party and he got to hear what everyone would say. I did not
like the idea though since he was perfectly healthy at the time and I
thought it was bad luck, but that's maybe just me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
>>> as they lived!
>>> Graham

>> View the body while it's alive, oh and send flowers then too. I don't view
>> bodies anymore...ever. Thankfully all of my relatives have opted for
>> cremation in the past years, with no viewing, so it's all as good as it can
>> be.
>>
>> Cheri

> When my son's father in law died in rural Ireland, he (son) was amazed
> by the traditional wake, which went on for days.
> There was a church Mass (with the coffin) before the body was brought
> to the house and displayed in the open coffin, constantly attended. For
> two days hundreds of people came all day and evening to say goodbye to
> him and pay their respects to the family. They were all offered food and
> drink ( much of which they had brought, there was a stream of people
> delivering home-made food to the back door of the farm before
> presenting themselves at the front door for the formal visitation Each
> night the body was in the house, family members sat up all night with
> it. Finally the coffin was closed and taken back to church for the
> funeral and burial.
>
> Janet UK

He wasn't called Finnegan by any chance, was he?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:29:52 -0600, graham > wrote:

>I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
>as they lived!
>Graham

I agree with you Graham. When my Mom passed, my Sister pulled out her
iphone and started snapping photos. It freaked me out. I screamed at
my Sister. Do you really think Mom would want you photographing her in
this condition? Some people have a brain that wishes to record visual
reminders of the saddest moments in their life. Never mind they saw it
with their eyes and commited it to memory. It really disgusts me to
see how some people make videos in the funeral parlor. Sick minds as
far as I am concerned.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2016 7:55 PM, William wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:29:52 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
>> as they lived!
>> Graham

> I agree with you Graham. When my Mom passed, my Sister pulled out her
> iphone and started snapping photos. It freaked me out. I screamed at
> my Sister. Do you really think Mom would want you photographing her in
> this condition? Some people have a brain that wishes to record visual
> reminders of the saddest moments in their life. Never mind they saw it
> with their eyes and commited it to memory. It really disgusts me to
> see how some people make videos in the funeral parlor. Sick minds as
> far as I am concerned.
>
> William

I have stipulated in my will that the absolute minimum should be
expended on my funeral. I told my lawyer to put "a sack will do" in the
document and although she agreed with my sentiment, she didn't think it
would pass:-)
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:29:52 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>>I have followed my father's advice. Never view the corpse! Remember them
>>as they lived!
>>Graham

> I agree with you Graham. When my Mom passed, my Sister pulled out her
> iphone and started snapping photos. It freaked me out. I screamed at
> my Sister. Do you really think Mom would want you photographing her in
> this condition? Some people have a brain that wishes to record visual
> reminders of the saddest moments in their life. Never mind they saw it
> with their eyes and commited it to memory. It really disgusts me to
> see how some people make videos in the funeral parlor. Sick minds as
> far as I am concerned.
>
> William

People do what they're comfortable with.

Cheri

Privacy policies protect Customers Personal information Privacy policies protect personal information General Cooking 0 23-07-2016 07:35 PM
Tipping at the bar asdf Beer 19 26-11-2006 07:34 AM
Airline food policies Grizzman General Cooking 14 03-06-2006 08:00 PM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM