FoodBanter.com

-   -   Check it before you bring it home! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/439687-check-before-you-bring.html)

notbob 09-08-2016 10:45 PM

Check it before you bring it home!

My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

nb

Taxed and Spent 09-08-2016 10:52 PM

On 8/9/2016 2:45 PM, notbob wrote:
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

nb

or ask such RE-Stores to check their merchandise before offering it for
sale.

Cheri[_3_] 10-08-2016 12:46 AM

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Ed Pawlowski 10-08-2016 12:55 AM

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly
surplus or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

Cheri[_3_] 10-08-2016 02:18 AM

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
would be a good idea.

Cheri

brooklyn1 10-08-2016 04:26 AM

Check it before you bring it home!

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Gotta be nuts to pay more than $5 for a used microwave oven. Even if
it worked with used stuff it may only work now and again and soon die.
I wouldn't buy small appliances second hand. Microwave ovens are
rather inexpensive nowadays, I'd buy new, I'd want one with a
warranty... then if they last that first year they are good for at
least ten more years. My under counter GE has been used every day for
more than 30 years, I wish it would expire so I can buy a new one, I'm
tired of looking at it... at this rate it will outlive me... I just
know that grouchy nuker wants to **** rays on my grave.

Bruce[_28_] 10-08-2016 04:57 AM

Check it before you bring it home!

In article , gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Because microwave ovens never stop working in their second, third,
fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, nineth, tenth or eleventh year.

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-08-2016 06:16 AM

"Cheri" wrote in message

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Plug it in, turn it on and see if it heats up. But you'd have to bring a cup
and fill it with water, or a bag of popcorn or something.

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-08-2016 06:17 AM

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-08-2016 06:19 AM

Check it before you bring it home!

"Bruce" wrote in message
T...
In article , gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Walmart has some little ones on sale now for around $25. They come in
colors! Even red ones. I only saw them online though. Didn't look at the
particulars as I don't need one now but heck, should maybe get one anyway.
They're not usually that cheap. Now is the time to buy such things because
they are on sale for dorms.

Cheri[_3_] 10-08-2016 07:16 AM

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
hand store.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 10-08-2016 07:55 AM

"Cheri" wrote in message

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

Me either but I do know people who have.

Janet 10-08-2016 05:19 PM

Check it before you bring it home!

In article ,
says...

My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!! ;)

In the UK, shops selling second hand portable electrical goods have to
get them checked and certificated safe and working before sale.

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-
certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=COPO8Oeft84CFeMp0wodvDgDeg

Janet UK

notbob 10-08-2016 05:22 PM

On 2016-08-10, Janet wrote:

In the UK......

Where I currently do NOT reside! ;)

nb

brooklyn1 10-08-2016 07:01 PM

Check it before you bring it home!

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:16:36 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
away.