Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Check it before you bring it home!

My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2016 2:45 PM, notbob wrote:
> My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
> over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
> to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!
>
> He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
> But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
> turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
> waste.
>
> So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
> fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
> thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!
>
> nb

or ask such RE-Stores to check their merchandise before offering it for
sale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
> over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
> to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!
>
> He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
> But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
> turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
> waste.
>
> So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
> fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
> thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!
>
> nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
>> over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
>> to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!
>>
>> He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
>> But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
>> turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
>> waste.
>>
>> So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
>> fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
>> thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!
>>
>> nb

> OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
> purchasing it second hand?
>
> Cheri

Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly
surplus or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
>>> over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a
>>> half
>>> to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!
>>>
>>> He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
>>> But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
>>> turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
>>> waste.
>>>
>>> So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
>>> fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
>>> thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!
>>>
>>> nb

>> OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
>> purchasing it second hand?
>>
>> Cheri

> Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
> or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
would be a good idea.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:18:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
>>> purchasing it second hand?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
>> or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

>They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
>would be a good idea.
>
>Cheri

Gotta be nuts to pay more than $5 for a used microwave oven. Even if
it worked with used stuff it may only work now and again and soon die.
I wouldn't buy small appliances second hand. Microwave ovens are
rather inexpensive nowadays, I'd buy new, I'd want one with a
warranty... then if they last that first year they are good for at
least ten more years. My under counter GE has been used every day for
more than 30 years, I wish it would expire so I can buy a new one, I'm
tired of looking at it... at this rate it will outlive me... I just
know that grouchy nuker wants to **** rays on my grave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:18:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

> >> Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
> >> or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

> >They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
> >would be a good idea.
> >
> >Cheri

> Gotta be nuts to pay more than $5 for a used microwave oven. Even if
> it worked with used stuff it may only work now and again and soon die.
> I wouldn't buy small appliances second hand. Microwave ovens are
> rather inexpensive nowadays, I'd buy new, I'd want one with a
> warranty... then if they last that first year they are good for at
> least ten more years.

Because microwave ovens never stop working in their second, third,
fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, nineth, tenth or eleventh year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
>> over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a half
>> to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!
>>
>> He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
>> But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
>> turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
>> waste.
>>
>> So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
>> fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
>> thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!
>>
>> nb

> OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
> purchasing it second hand?

Plug it in, turn it on and see if it heats up. But you'd have to bring a cup
and fill it with water, or a bag of popcorn or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
>>> purchasing it second hand?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
>> or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

> They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
> would be a good idea.

For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >, gravesend10
> @verizon.net says...
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:18:43 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>> >They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes
>> >that
>> >would be a good idea.
>> >
>> >Cheri

>> Gotta be nuts to pay more than $5 for a used microwave oven. Even if
>> it worked with used stuff it may only work now and again and soon die.
>> I wouldn't buy small appliances second hand. Microwave ovens are
>> rather inexpensive nowadays, I'd buy new, I'd want one with a
>> warranty... then if they last that first year they are good for at
>> least ten more years.

Walmart has some little ones on sale now for around $25. They come in
colors! Even red ones. I only saw them online though. Didn't look at the
particulars as I don't need one now but heck, should maybe get one anyway.
They're not usually that cheap. Now is the time to buy such things because
they are on sale for dorms.
> Because microwave ovens never stop working in their second, third,
> fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, nineth, tenth or eleventh year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly
>>> surplus or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken
>>> junk.

>> They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes
>> that would be a good idea.

> For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
hand store.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes
>>> that would be a good idea.

>> For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

> I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
> hand store.

Me either but I do know people who have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-08-10, Janet > wrote:

> In the UK......

Where I currently do NOT reside!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:16:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes
>>> that would be a good idea.

>> For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

>I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
>hand store.
>
>Cheri

I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2016 11:01 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:16:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

>> I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
>> hand store.
>>
>> Cheri

> I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
> and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
> labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
> that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
> for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
> basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
> wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
> owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
> people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
> new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
> one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
> the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
> few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
> me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
> older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
> away.

and how does the difference in energy costs work out?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
> and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
> labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
> that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
> for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
> basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
> wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
> owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
> people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
> new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
> one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
> the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
> few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
> me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
> older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
> away.

Most of my early appliances were hand downs from parents, friends etc. These
days I want new, but I definitely believe the older ones were built to last
better.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:06:26 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 8/10/2016 11:01 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:16:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
>>> hand store.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
>> and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
>> labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
>> that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
>> for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
>> basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
>> wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
>> owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
>> people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
>> new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
>> one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
>> the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
>> few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
>> me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
>> older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
>> away.
>>

>and how does the difference in energy costs work out?

I don't notice any difference in my electric bill. It's a relatively
small unit with no icemaker and being in the basement if I open it
once a week it's a lot, during winter it may be opened once a month,
maybe. I'm sure the big dehumidifier in my basement costs a lot more
to operate during summer, but that's nothing compared to my central
air. That basement fridge I'm sure comsumes less power than the TVs
and computers, much less. Being in a rather cool basement I'll guess
it consumes 25¢ a day or about $75 a year. I think how one uses their
fridge has a whole lot more to do with how much it costs to run than
whether it's an energy saver. An energy saver saves nothing when
someone is opening the door fifty times a day... in some families the
fridge door is open more hours than it's closed... I've witnessed many
people with fridge psychosis, everytime they pass they open the fridge
and stand there contemplating/praying and after three minutes take
nothing, then five minutes later they do the same thing, and do this
24/7... everyone in the family does the same, only saving is when two
stare into the open fridge at the same time... the shrinks call that
ISFP (In Sync Fridge Psychosis).

bring home the sauce gregz Barbecue 0 27-12-2013 03:46 AM
Strait to the guts response was - how soon will obama bring the troops home ? Chemiker General Cooking 4 22-07-2009 02:41 PM
Strait to the guts response was - how soon will obama bring the troops home ? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 21-07-2009 01:30 PM
Bring Home the Bacon!!! [email protected] General Cooking 0 22-03-2006 09:27 PM
Check out this amazing sugar dispenser for your home and Coffee Shop.‎ [email protected] Coffee 0 23-01-2004 10:34 PM