Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default R.I.P. Forrest Mars Jr, 84, "Scion of a Candy Empire"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/bu...ies-at-84.html

By SAM ROBERTS
JULY 27, 2016

Middle third:

....According to the latest Forbes magazine rankings, Forrest Mars Jr. is worth about $25 billion (he owns an 82,000-acre ranch in Montana), and Mars Inc. typically ranks among the nations top 10 privately held companies.

Although the company is not famous for its public philanthropy, Mr. Mars was personally honored for his commitment to historic preservation, as a donor of tens of millions of dollars to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and, until a falling out with the executive director, to Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York. He also gave anonymously to other causes.

Mr. Marss grandfather, Frank, was a failed candy maker until, according to legend, his son, Forrest Sr., suggested incorporating chocolate malt into his Mar-O-Bar, and the Milky Way was born.

Forrest Sr. was also credited with inventing M&Ms, inspired by a lentil-shaped candy he saw soldiers eating during a visit behind the lines during the Spanish Civil War. He named it for the Mars and Murrie families; William F. R. Murrie was the president of Hershey, whose chocolate Mars needed to make the candy, before the two companies became fierce rivals.

Forrest Sr. was domineering and possessed a volcanic temper €” in contrast to the more benevolent candy king Milton Hershey.

Scarred by years of criticism that was spurred by Forrest Sr.s fear that he would raise spoiled children and by his refusal to let them eat candy, his sons forbid Mars executives from mentioning their fathers name in their presence, Ms. Brenner wrote in €śThe Emperors of Chocolate.

They seem to have inherited his approach, though.

€śInstead of inspiring loyalty and devotion, their manner bred paranoia and insecurity,€ť the author wrote.

They were so protective that they refused to allow M&Ms to be featured as E.T.s favorite candy in Steven Spielbergs 1982 science fiction fantasy. (Reeses Pieces were used instead, and sales boomed.)...

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> I'll have a Snickers bar today, in his memory.

One of my favorite candy bars. Others are Kit-Kat, Reeses PBCs, and M&M
peanut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 8:02:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/bu...ies-at-84.html
>
> By SAM ROBERTS
> JULY 27, 2016
>
> Middle third:
>
> ...According to the latest Forbes magazine rankings, Forrest Mars Jr. is worth about $25 billion (he owns an 82,000-acre ranch in Montana), and Mars Inc. typically ranks among the nations top 10 privately held companies.
>
> Although the company is not famous for its public philanthropy, Mr. Mars was personally honored for his commitment to historic preservation, as a donor of tens of millions of dollars to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and, until a falling out with the executive director, to Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York. He also gave anonymously to other causes.
>
> Mr. Marss grandfather, Frank, was a failed candy maker until, according to legend, his son, Forrest Sr., suggested incorporating chocolate malt into his Mar-O-Bar, and the Milky Way was born.
>
> Forrest Sr. was also credited with inventing M&Ms, inspired by a lentil-shaped candy he saw soldiers eating during a visit behind the lines during the Spanish Civil War. He named it for the Mars and Murrie families; William F. R. Murrie was the president of Hershey, whose chocolate Mars needed to make the candy, before the two companies became fierce rivals.
>
> Forrest Sr. was domineering and possessed a volcanic temper €” in contrast to the more benevolent candy king Milton Hershey.
>
> Scarred by years of criticism that was spurred by Forrest Sr.s fear that he would raise spoiled children and by his refusal to let them eat candy, his sons forbid Mars executives from mentioning their fathers name in their presence, Ms. Brenner wrote in €śThe Emperors of Chocolate.
>
> They seem to have inherited his approach, though.
>
> €śInstead of inspiring loyalty and devotion, their manner bred paranoia and insecurity,€ť the author wrote.
>
> They were so protective that they refused to allow M&Ms to be featured as E.T.s favorite candy in Steven Spielbergs 1982 science fiction fantasy. (Reeses Pieces were used instead, and sales boomed.)...
>

> Lenona.

The guy came up with a most audacious plan. Build a chocolate factory in the desert and ship his chocolate frozen. First, he had to come up with chocolate that could be frozen without blooming. He succeeded and the chocolates are quite good.

https://www.ethelm.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 1:02:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/bu...ies-at-84.html

The company has/had a dairy farm south of me. What is the name of
this place? Why, the Milky Way Farm, of course!! However, I don't
think it's now a working dairy farm.