Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electric Deep Fryers

A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
temperature control, recovery time, and durability?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:17:13 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

> A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

No recommendations, sorry - but tell your friend to check-out Instant
Pot, because it has multiple uses and people seem to love it. I
already have a different appliance for each purpose, but I'd give it
careful consideration if I was equipping a new kitchen.
http://instantpot.com/
http://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot...-review-217946

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:20:47 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:17:13 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> > wrote:
>
> > A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> > condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> > temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

> No recommendations, sorry - but tell your friend to check-out Instant
> Pot, because it has multiple uses and people seem to love it. I
> already have a different appliance for each purpose, but I'd give it
> careful consideration if I was equipping a new kitchen.
> http://instantpot.com/
> http://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot...-review-217946
>
> --
>
> sf

Where is it made? China I'll bet!!

Will we NEVER LEARN? :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 7:17:18 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

A lot depends on the amount of food your friend will be cooking. Get one with a large enough capacity. I think the one I have holds 3Qts. It's kinda small. Your choices are going to be between single wall and double wall insulated construction. It will probably take between 15 to 20 minutes to heat up. It's fun to deep fry but it takes a bit of work to set up and take down..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have one of these, different brand, and I love it. I brown the meat and onions in it, add the veggies and some liquid, set the pressure cooker, and when it's done cooking, it'll keep things hot for 8 hours. I use it multiple times a week, it's great for soup too. Mine doesn't have the yogurt making function.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:20:47 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> No recommendations, sorry - but tell your friend to check-out Instant
> Pot, because it has multiple uses and people seem to love it.
>
> sf

Has anyone tried one of those 'hot air fryers'? I see
infomercials on TV and Bed, Bath & Beyond stocks the
Phillips brand but it's pretty pricey. A 20% off coupon
helps but it's still over $125; the digital model is
VERY expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 2:43:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:20:47 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> >
> > No recommendations, sorry - but tell your friend to check-out Instant
> > Pot, because it has multiple uses and people seem to love it.
> >
> > sf
> >

> Has anyone tried one of those 'hot air fryers'? I see
> infomercials on TV and Bed, Bath & Beyond stocks the
> Phillips brand but it's pretty pricey. A 20% off coupon
> helps but it's still over $125; the digital model is
> VERY expensive.

Cooking with hot air is NOT frying!

Take it from someone who has personally fried more donuts than anyone should ever have to!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 10:17:18 AM UTC-7, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

If he's seriously into frying.....tell him to go to a used restaurant equipment store and check out the fryers. You can find some good stuff at really good prices. Be sure to check the voltage, waranty, cleanliness etc. Restaurant models have it all over the cheap home products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:24:19 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Where is it made? China I'll bet!!
>
>Will we NEVER LEARN? :-(

*When* will they think of the children??? :/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

>A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
>condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
>temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

This, and a thermometer, is all one needs:
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...pot+and+basket

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-11 6:44 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> Dave Smith > wrote:

>> Personally, I can't see buying a deep fryer to take to a vacation
>> rental. Aside from the expense of buying it and filling it with oil
>> that is an awkward and messy thing to be lugging around on vacation. My
>> experience with deep fryers is the bigger the better. They need to be
>> big enough to hold enough oil that they won't cool off as soon as you
>> add the food.
>>

> Who said it was a vacation rental?

The OP..... "A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all
electric vacation condo. "
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 15:48:55 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

> I suggested he use a pot, carefully, and see if the deep frying novelty
> wears off.

Good idea. I was wondering why anyone would want to deep fry on
vacation.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2016 4:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-07-11 6:44 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
>> Dave Smith > wrote:

>>> Personally, I can't see buying a deep fryer to take to a vacation
>>> rental. Aside from the expense of buying it and filling it with oil
>>> that is an awkward and messy thing to be lugging around on vacation. My
>>> experience with deep fryers is the bigger the better. They need to be
>>> big enough to hold enough oil that they won't cool off as soon as you
>>> add the food.
>>>

>> Who said it was a vacation rental?
>>

> The OP..... "A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all
> electric vacation condo. "

The word "rental" is conspicuous by its absence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 6:24:33 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> I was wondering why anyone would want to deep fry on
> vacation.
>
> sf

Ain't it the truth. Who wants to even cook while
on vacation? To me vacation means no cooking, no
cleaning, and no laundry,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> I suggested he use a pot, carefully, and see if the deep frying novelty
>> wears off.

>Good idea. I was wondering why anyone would want to deep fry on
>vacation.

Fat asses like you. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>says...
>
> A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

An all electric condo means electric cooking, which means a 220V line
for an electric stove/oven, unless all they'll have is a toys r us
110V electric hot plate and a microwave oven... and what about air
conditioning, just measly 110V window units? And then there's
electric hot water, that needs 220V too, or no one will bathe... I'm
pretty sure 220V is available... but so what, all they need is a
simple aluminum pot, a fry basket, and a thermometer, which would work
just fine on a cheapo electric hot plate (make sure a pot lid is close
by in case oil ignites). Those fancy schmancy deep fryers for home
use are a waste of money, they're all of too small capacity unless
cooking for one maybe two small eaters. This is the best type of deep
fryer for home use...a ten qt pot may at first seem too large but
you're only going to fill it about half way with oil or it could
bubble over.
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...s=deep+fry+pot
When deep frying by any means only one person in the kitchen... NO
CHILDREN... and never leave the hot oil unattended, no phone calls
either, deep frying requires ones full attention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> When deep frying by any means only one person in the kitchen... NO
> CHILDREN... and never leave the hot oil unattended, no phone calls
> either, deep frying requires ones full attention.

I agree with that. I just use a small saucepan to deep fry as I rarely
do it and only a small amount when I do. That's the one time I NEVER
leave the kitchen. Once that oil goes on a burner, you need to stay and
supervise until that burner goes off. Just answering the telephone or
going on the internet for "a few minutes" can distract you and cause a
kitchen fire.

I was gifted a nice electric deep fryer once. I used it one time..and it
was nice...but it was more than I needed. I cleaned it up and gave it to
my daughter. I am fine with a small saucepan as my deep frying is rare
and small amounts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 6:03:02 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
> >
> >A friend is thinking of buying one for use in an all electric vacation
> >condo. 110 volts. Any recommendations as to speed of heating,
> >temperature control, recovery time, and durability?

> This, and a thermometer, is all one needs:
> https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...pot+and+basket

Made in China, I'll bet!!

USA made would cost about $50 to $100!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-07-12 10:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> When deep frying by any means only one person in the kitchen... NO
>> CHILDREN... and never leave the hot oil unattended, no phone calls
>> either, deep frying requires ones full attention.

> I agree with that. I just use a small saucepan to deep fry as I rarely
> do it and only a small amount when I do. That's the one time I NEVER
> leave the kitchen. Once that oil goes on a burner, you need to stay and
> supervise until that burner goes off. Just answering the telephone or
> going on the internet for "a few minutes" can distract you and cause a
> kitchen fire.
>
> I was gifted a nice electric deep fryer once. I used it one time..and it
> was nice...but it was more than I needed. I cleaned it up and gave it to
> my daughter. I am fine with a small saucepan as my deep frying is rare
> and small amounts.

A large pot is better. You usually need a lot of oil because you have
to have enough hot oil that it maintains high heat when you add the
food. It should also have high sides to prevent it from boiling over.