Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner 6-18-2016

Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.

I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
some spinach to go with it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.
>
> I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
> minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
> some spinach to go with it.
>
> --
>
> sf

Your meal sounds really good.I made braised chicken thighs with green olives
and garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes, and carrots. I made a cherry
cheesecake for dh's dessert because that's what he wanted. Hey, it's
Father's Day.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:41:19 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.
> >
> > I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
> > minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
> > some spinach to go with it.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> Your meal sounds really good.I made braised chicken thighs with green olives
> and garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes, and carrots. I made a cherry
> cheesecake for dh's dessert because that's what he wanted. Hey, it's
> Father's Day.

Do you have a recipe link for those chicken thighs? I'd have to leave
the olives out, because hubby hates olives - other than that, it
sounds great. That cherry cheesecake sounds great too. My niece
makes the mini versions for parties.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 01:51:53 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jun-2016, sf > wrote:
>
> > Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.

> Baked salmon, seasoned simply with salt and pepper. The starch side was 4
> cheese ravioli in sage browned butter sauce. Herbed green and wax beans
> tossed with a little ev olive oil and butter. French Silk pie for dessert.

Sounds delicious!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.
>>
>> I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
>> minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
>> some spinach to go with it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Your meal sounds really good.I made braised chicken thighs with green
> olives and garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes, and carrots. I made a cherry
> cheesecake for dh's dessert because that's what he wanted. Hey, it's
> Father's Day.
>
> Cheri

Once again, my meal plan was messed of. Of course this will not be forgotten
by some here and we'll hear about it for years.

I bought 4 steaks at the Business Costco. Since Costco only sells large
amounts of things, I did not buy any sides there.

Angela made cookies for her dad. There was a misunderstanding there. I
thought she told me that the clearance item the had purchased was cookie
dough. Nope. It was some mix that required an egg. And we were out of eggs.
So when we went to buy eggs, I picked up a twice baked potato already made
at Albertsons for his dinner. Yes, I know I could make one myself but I
didn't want to waste ingredients. Unless Angela is on a nacho binge, sour
cream just doesn't get used up here.

I had wanted to buy asparagus since he loves it, but they wanted $4.99 for a
very small bunch. I had intended to see if they had frozen for cheaper but
then I forgot to look. Not even sure that it comes frozen.

Anyway, as I was searching for the potato, he said that he had already eaten
it. So the mad scramble was on. Cooked a box of rice pilaf. Again, I know
that I could make this from scratch, but it is one of those things that he
may or may not eat, so I just buy it once in a while on sale.

So he had the steak, rice pilaf, green beans and rolls. Angela had steak and
pasta salad. I haven't eaten yet. Will either be leftover chili or pasta
salad. Maybe rolls too depending on how the carbs appear to stack up. I add
a lot of raw veggies to the pasta salad in proportion to the pasta.

Need to go get my onions started. I'm going to do baked beans in the
Crock-Pot overnight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2016 11:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.
>>>
>>> I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
>>> minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
>>> some spinach to go with it.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> Your meal sounds really good.I made braised chicken thighs with green
>> olives and garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes, and carrots. I made a
>> cherry cheesecake for dh's dessert because that's what he wanted. Hey,
>> it's Father's Day.
>>
>> Cheri

> Once again, my meal plan was messed of. Of course this will not be
> forgotten by some here and we'll hear about it for years.
>(snippage)

That's only because you report it here for everyone to read rather than
just keep it to yourself.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:41:19 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > Flanken style short ribs braised in red wine.
>> >
>> > I just added whole mushrooms to it and it will go for another 30-60
>> > minutes. I plan to serve it on a bed of soft polenta and will saute
>> > some spinach to go with it.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > sf

>> Your meal sounds really good.I made braised chicken thighs with green
>> olives
>> and garlic, rosemary roasted potatoes, and carrots. I made a cherry
>> cheesecake for dh's dessert because that's what he wanted. Hey, it's
>> Father's Day.
>>

> Do you have a recipe link for those chicken thighs? I'd have to leave
> the olives out, because hubby hates olives - other than that, it
> sounds great. That cherry cheesecake sounds great too. My niece
> makes the mini versions for parties.
>
> --
>
> sf

I used the basics of this recipe from Lidia Bastianich, but change it a bit
with more garlic and rosemary than is listed and fewer thighs. I also don't
have Cerignola olives just green olives I have on hand. Her recipe calls for
browning chunks of Yukon Gold potatoes in the frying pan after the chicken
has been removed, and then braising together, but I prefer to roast the
potatoes separately. The thighs are really good, nothing fancy, but good.

12 medium chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)

1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning

Flour, for dredging

Vegetable oil, for browning

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

6 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled

1 1/2 cups pitted large green olives, such as Cerignola

4 sprigs fresh rosemary

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Season the chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon salt. Spread the flour on a
rimmed plate, and lightly dredge the chicken thighs on all sides, tapping
off the excess. Heat a large shallow Dutch oven (or a very large skillet)
over medium-high heat with 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot,
add the chicken, skin side down. Brown well on both sides, about 10 minutes,
and remove to a plate.

2. discard the oil from the pan

3. Return the pot to medium-heat, and add the olive oil. Add the garlic.
Once the garlic begins to sizzle, add the olives and rosemary. Once they are
sizzling nicely, let them cook for a minute or two to bring the flavors
together, then add the vinegar. Boil until the vinegar has reduced away,
then add back the chicken. Pour in the wine, adjust the heat to a simmer,
and cover. Cook until the chicken is almost tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

4. Uncover, and simmer rapidly, turning the chicken occasionally, until it
is tender and glazed in the sauce, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic
cloves and rosemary sprigs, and serve hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-20 1:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/19/2016 11:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Once again, my meal plan was messed of. Of course this will not be
>> forgotten by some here and we'll hear about it for years.
>> (snippage)

> That's only because you report it here for everyone to read rather than
> just keep it to yourself.

The MO is well established. Tell the world about your dysfunction in
your life and then complain that people remember it. It may or may not
be true, but it seems to get her the attention she craves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:44:51 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I used the basics of this recipe from Lidia Bastianich, but change it a bit
> with more garlic and rosemary than is listed and fewer thighs. I also don't
> have Cerignola olives just green olives I have on hand. Her recipe calls for
> browning chunks of Yukon Gold potatoes in the frying pan after the chicken
> has been removed, and then braising together, but I prefer to roast the
> potatoes separately. The thighs are really good, nothing fancy, but good.

<recipe snipped, but saved>

Thanks! Your variations sound more like the way I cook, so thanks for
the recipe and your personal notes. I usually add more herbs than
recipes call for too. I wonder if it's typical of West Coasters or if
we just happen to be like minded when it comes to that?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 01:26:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/19/2016 11:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> > Once again, my meal plan was messed of. Of course this will not be
> > forgotten by some here and we'll hear about it for years.
> >(snippage)

> That's only because you report it here for everyone to read rather than
> just keep it to yourself.

Reporting what she served instead of what she wants to cook makes
sense to me.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 01:26:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/19/2016 11:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> >

>> > Once again, my meal plan was messed of. Of course this will not be
>> > forgotten by some here and we'll hear about it for years.
>> >(snippage)

>> That's only because you report it here for everyone to read rather than
>> just keep it to yourself.
>>

> Reporting what she served instead of what she wants to cook makes
> sense to me.

It is what many people here do, but they don't get sneered at and have it
thrown in their faces for years to come.

Thanks sf.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:16:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 01:26:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> That's only because you report it here for everyone to read rather than
> >> just keep it to yourself.
> >>

> > Reporting what she served instead of what she wants to cook makes
> > sense to me.

> It is what many people here do, but they don't get sneered at and have it
> thrown in their faces for years to come.
>
> Thanks sf.

Viva la difference.

--

sf