FoodBanter.com

-   -   Northern Catskills Hudson Valley (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/437107-northern-catskills-hudson-valley.html)

brooklyn1 14-06-2016 11:49 AM

Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

The northern Catskills Hudson Valley has some of the finast soil on
the planet (the very rich top soil on myproperty is a good six feet
deep), I never fertilize or use any chems either. The only watering
is from natural precipitation, sometimes too much.
Plenty mowing:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2wren8w.jpg
Lovely ginkgo tree I planted:
http://i65.tinypic.com/10sewpe.jpg
My favorite spruce, planted eight years ago on my 65th birthday:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2eci2w0.jpg
Getting ready to demolish my rental cottage, druggie *******s don't
pay rent, they should all over dose and die, quickly:
http://i64.tinypic.com/154zzx0.jpg
Will be a great spot to plant a half dozen more fruit trees, I'm
thinking a variety of semi dwarf plum.

brooklyn1 14-06-2016 07:59 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Getting ready to demolish my rental cottage, druggie *******s don't
>> pay rent, they should all over dose and die, quickly:
>> http://i64.tinypic.com/154zzx0.jpg

>WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.

Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
to maintain, time for it to go.

jmcquown[_2_] 14-06-2016 11:16 PM

On 6/14/2016 2:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
> to maintain, time for it to go.

No one ever said being a landlord was easy. I've never been a landlord
but I was *always* a good tentant. I paid my rent on time and certainly
never trashed any place I rented.

I know someone with some rental properties. It never ceases to amaze me
she doesn't properly vet the prospective tenants. Seems she falls for
hard-luck stories instead and invariably winds up getting the short end
of the stick. Then it's hell to try to get the person(s) out of there
without a huge hassle and expense.

The reduction in property taxes will be a good thing, though. :)

Jill

MaryL[_2_] 14-06-2016 11:27 PM

On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Getting ready to demolish my rental cottage, druggie *******s don't
>>> pay rent, they should all over dose and die, quickly:
>>> http://i64.tinypic.com/154zzx0.jpg

>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>
> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
> to maintain, time for it to go.

It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
problems with landlords or neighbors.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_] 15-06-2016 12:38 AM

On 6/14/2016 6:27 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>

> It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
> starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
> to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
> because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
> one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
> landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
> needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
> furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
> location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
> of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
> on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
> problems with landlords or neighbors.
>
> MaryL

Replacement furniture (for a furnished unit) certainly was a plus! I
had some bad landlords but I was never a bad tenant. I only asked them
to fix things that actually needed repaired. I wasn't calling them up
whining about silly stuff like a clogged drain. More like hey, the HVAC
unit isn't working. Or when the water heater broke and flooded the
dining room. (It was a small tank underneath counter in the corner of
the kitchen, next to the dining room). They had to replace the carpet
in the dining room, too. Not my fault and I was not penalized in any way.

I dislike moving. I stayed in my last apartment for 11 years (12 if you
count the year it sat empty while I was taking care of my parents and
then settling Mom's estate).

Before that I was in an apartment for five years. I only moved because
the demographics of the area in general and the apartment complex
specifically had changed drastically. The apartment management company
changed, too.

Towards the end it seems like they were letting just *anyone* move in.

There was a woman who appeared to be in her early 30's with a teenage
son living across the hall from me. One day I came home and there was a
rental truck backed up and they were clearing out - very quickly! The
next evening I heard lots of noise. Peeked out the peep-hole in the
kitchen door. Three youths kicking down the door! I slipped the chain
on the door, made sure the deadbolt was engaged. Then I slunk back to
the bedroom and called 911. The police caught the teen gang members and
hauled them off to jail. (They were drug dealers intent on collecting a
debt from this teenage boy who had just cleared out.) The detective on
the case called me to tell me they'd been sprung on bail and
disappeared. Love love love hearing that!

After that a young guy (early 20's) and his girlfriend moved in across
the hall. They had no visible means of support - not my business, of
course. Could have been trust-fund kids driving a brand new Mazda and
had loud visitors coming and going at all hours of the day and night.
One evening after work I was sitting outside on the balcony, reading a
book. The guy made a point of showing me his handgun. It was not a big
stretch to figure out they were also dealing out of the apartment. Who
wants to live with this crap?! Just so happens my lease was up for
renewal so I quickly shopped for an apartment well away from that area
and moved.

Jill

brooklyn1 15-06-2016 01:52 AM

Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:27:59 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>

>It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
>starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
>to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
>because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
>one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
>landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
>needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
>furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
>location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
>of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
>on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
>problems with landlords or neighbors.
>
>MaryL

I've owned serevral rental properties but in all my years I don't
remember the economy being as terrible as it is now. Graduates are in
heavy debt and have no marketable skills. If they can't live in their
parent's house they are homeless. The real problem is that young
people are ascared of work, they are ascared of persperation, they are
ascared of dirty hands, they are deathly ascared of calluses.
Everthing is made in China because American youth refuses to learn the
skilled trades... they think they deserve big bucks for flipping
burgers... in my opinion no fast food burger flipper deserves more
than $4/hr... they don't like it there are robotics that can easily
prepare ALL fast food. If not for robotics a $25,000 Kia would cost
$250,000. If not for robotics very few of youse could be on line,
because yoose couldn't afford a human made $50,000 PC.

brooklyn1 15-06-2016 02:06 AM

Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:27:59 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>

>It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
>starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
>to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
>because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
>one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
>landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
>needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
>furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
>location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
>of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
>on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
>problems with landlords or neighbors.
>
>MaryL

For many years I had very good tenants, but nowadays the economy is
terrible, people don't have jobs, they can't pay rent

Jeßus[_56_] 15-06-2016 02:08 AM

Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:52:38 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>... in my opinion no fast food burger flipper deserves more
>than $4/hr...

First you complain they can't get a job, then you want them to live
off $4 per hour and do things like presumably pay rent?

>they don't like it there are robotics that can easily
>prepare ALL fast food.

LOL.

>If not for robotics a $25,000 Kia would cost
>$250,000.

Nonsense.

>If not for robotics very few of youse could be on line,
>because yoose couldn't afford a human made $50,000 PC.

That time of night again, is it Sheldon? Cheers.

Taxed and Spent 15-06-2016 03:20 AM

On 6/14/2016 5:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:27:59 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:

>>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>>
>>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>>

>> It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
>> starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
>> to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
>> because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
>> one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
>> landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
>> needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
>> furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
>> location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
>> of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
>> on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
>> problems with landlords or neighbors.
>>
>> MaryL

> I've owned serevral rental properties but in all my years I don't
> remember the economy being as terrible as it is now. Graduates are in
> heavy debt and have no marketable skills. If they can't live in their
> parent's house they are homeless. The real problem is that young
> people are ascared of work

of course they are. Look at all the taxes to pay. And look at what you
have to give up to go to work: http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Welfare.JPG

brooklyn1 15-06-2016 01:57 PM

Jeßus wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>... in my opinion no fast food burger flipper deserves more
>>than $4/hr...

>First you complain they can't get a job, then you want them to live
>off $4 per hour and do things like presumably pay rent?

Putting your ignorance/shallow thinking on display? Burger flipper is
NOT a career... it's an entry level/keep busy job for a young teen
and/or the mentally challenged who live in group homes to feel useful.
No one needs a college education to flip burgers, nor should one waste
a college education flipping burgers... truth be known burger flipper
is a terrible thing on which to waste a high school diploma.
Fast food can easily and quickly be converted to robotic automation,
and with today's computers easier than ever, look at all the prepared
frozen foods, automated robotic fast food began with the TV Dinner
more than 60 years ago... all fast food workers can instantly be
replaced with computerized vending machines. I know this to be a fact
because I spent fifty years designing and building robotic tooling for
manufacturing parts and assemblies
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/men...-tv-dinner.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_dinner
http://www.foodreference.com/html/arttvdinners.html
https://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutso...5x#.ysxJ0rxlgA
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...es-end-8141411
A favorite concept:
http://www.vibratory-feeders.com/vibrating-feeders/
http://www.vibratoryfeeders.com/bowl-feeders.html
http://vibromatic.net/polycastbowls2.html
http://www.bowlfeeders.com/vibratory-feeder-bowls.html
Types of tooling I specialized in:
http://www.stmtooling.com/
Watch the various tooling videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlfiM2aNUo

The Greatest! 15-06-2016 08:04 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> Getting ready to demolish my rental cottage, druggie *******s don't
> >> pay rent, they should all over dose and die, quickly:
> >> http://i64.tinypic.com/154zzx0.jpg

> >WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
> >building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
> >And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
> >Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>
> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
> to maintain, time for it to go.

You shoulda offered to put Da Sqwoitz up in your rental cottage...the earth's center of gravity would have shifted to your property, lol...

--
Best
Greg

brooklyn1 15-06-2016 11:03 PM

Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:04:28 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> >WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>> >building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>> >And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>> >Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.

>You shoulda offered to put Da Sqwoitz up in your rental cottage...the
>earth's center of gravity would have shifted to your property, lol...

I doubt a texass mexass dwarf would like living here, the local
rednecks would laugh at his beaner cousine.

jmcquown[_2_] 16-06-2016 05:14 PM

On 6/14/2016 8:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:27:59 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:

>>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>>
>>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>>

>> It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
>> starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
>> to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
>> because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords.

(snippage)

>> MaryL

> I've owned serevral rental properties but in all my years I don't
> remember the economy being as terrible as it is now. Graduates are in
> heavy debt and have no marketable skills. If they can't live in their
> parent's house they are homeless.

(snippage)

I agree, the the economy is pretty bad right now. The answer is don't
rent to really young people aka/people without jobs. And forget about
renting to the hot chick with big tits. She doesn't want to live in
your back yard. Heh. Perhaps a nice retired couple looking to downsize
might like to rent the cottage on your lovely property. Unless you
haven't kept it up in the last four years, which really doesn't sound
like you. Then again, the property tax savings would likely be better
than renting it out.

You can only blame yourself if you had crappy renters who didn't pay and
trashed the place.

Jill