Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT?: Obesity epidemic

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:

> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:

>http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

This is news? I thought 4 in 10 had already been surpassed.
Much the same as Australia. I assume most western countries are
similar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 3:18 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> This is news? I thought 4 in 10 had already been surpassed.
> Much the same as Australia. I assume most western countries are
> similar.

Not sure where they get those numbers, and not saying there isn't a
weight issue, but what is the point of posting that link? Who is
CTV and why are they so worried about Americans? So many questions.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
obese. It's ridiculous.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
>
> --
>
> sf

LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
> they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
> obese. It's ridiculous.

I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
fitness level.

I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
that would skew the results.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The last time
> > they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
> > obese. It's ridiculous.

> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
> fitness level.
>
> I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
> doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
> that would skew the results.

Not always. I've been obese or morbidly obese all my life, and my
doctor only sees me every few years. Every time he sees me he says,
you're in good shape, let's try to keep it that way (meaning, let's
not screw up your health with a bunch of drugs of dubious utility),
you should lose some weight.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The
>> last time
>> they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
>> obese. It's ridiculous.

> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
> fitness level.
>
> I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
> doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
> that would skew the results.

BMI is suspect. When my husband was in the military he always failed the
BMI tests but he didn't have an ounce of spare fat on him. He did however
have a lot of muscle which weighs heavy. Those tests never allowed for
that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 8:51 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889
>>>

>> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
>
> Cheri

Or the people who sit in front of a computer and order online?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> > Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
> > was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
> > proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
> > rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
> > smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

LOL! I think you nailed it, Cheri. hahaha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> > Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
> > was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
> > proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
> > rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
> > smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.

I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
small and crowded for that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 9:41 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
>> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
>> fitness level.

> BMI is suspect. When my husband was in the military he always failed
> the BMI tests but he didn't have an ounce of spare fat on him. He did
> however have a lot of muscle which weighs heavy. Those tests never
> allowed for that.

Makes no sense. Most top athletes would probably fail to meet
the BMI index that says they aren't overweight.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2016 9:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
>> doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
>> that would skew the results.

> Not always. I've been obese or morbidly obese all my life, and my
> doctor only sees me every few years. Every time he sees me he says,
> you're in good shape, let's try to keep it that way (meaning, let's
> not screw up your health with a bunch of drugs of dubious utility),
> you should lose some weight.

Everyone is different, and I am 100% happy that you do not
have health problems.

But, we are constantly reminded that excess weight has ties to
all kinds of illnesses such as diabetes and cardiovascular
problems. I don't know where else these numbers are derived,
I am only weighed at the doctor's office.

Meaning, seems to me there is only one place where they are
getting the numbers to come up with these stats, and a lot of
people only go to the doctor if something is wrong.

I'm not making any kind of blanket statement that if you
are overweight, you are sick.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2016 9:39 PM, graham wrote:
> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

Look in the mirror, porkchop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
>sf wrote:
>>graham wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

>> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

>LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
>Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and...

Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
assed frisco fatties. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/8/2016 9:41 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
>>> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
>>> fitness level.

>> BMI is suspect. When my husband was in the military he always failed
>> the BMI tests but he didn't have an ounce of spare fat on him. He did
>> however have a lot of muscle which weighs heavy. Those tests never
>> allowed for that.

> Makes no sense. Most top athletes would probably fail to meet
> the BMI index that says they aren't overweight.

Nothing surprises me where BMI is concerned. I think one knows if one is
badly overweight. Why does anyone need BMI?

We get reports in our newspapers about school children who get letters to
their parents saying they are overweight. The pics they post show nothing
of the sort.

Understandably, the parents get very angry. I can't say some children are
not overweight but the tests seem to be nonsense.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/8/2016 8:51 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>>> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>>> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>>> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>>> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
>> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
>>
>> Cheri

> Or the people who sit in front of a computer and order online?
>
> Jill

LOL, true...especially now that food can be delivered easily. Thankfully,
now that I'm older, I don't really gain or lose anymore and stay at a decent
weight, of course I think that's because we do eat less here than we used
to.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>>sf wrote:

>>> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>>> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>>> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>>> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>>> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.

>>LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
>>Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and...

> Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
> assed frisco fatties. LOL

No, if people just worry about their own weight they will have plenty to do
without checking others out.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
> > assed frisco fatties. LOL

If you saw fatties on Fisherman's Wharf, you were a fat tourist
gawking at other fat tourists. Birds of a feather.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 2:33:31 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > > Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
> > > assed frisco fatties. LOL

> If you saw fatties on Fisherman's Wharf, you were a fat tourist
> gawking at other fat tourists. Birds of a feather.

Thanks. I was going to reply, but you put it much more eloquently
than I could have.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 08:45:25 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 6/8/2016 3:18 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

>> This is news? I thought 4 in 10 had already been surpassed.
>> Much the same as Australia. I assume most western countries are
>> similar.

>Not sure where they get those numbers, and not saying there isn't a
>weight issue, but what is the point of posting that link? Who is
>CTV and why are they so worried about Americans? So many questions.

Sigh, yep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-08 2:33 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
>>> assed frisco fatties. LOL

> If you saw fatties on Fisherman's Wharf, you were a fat tourist
> gawking at other fat tourists. Birds of a feather.

We can't throw stones when it comes to that stereotype of fat Americans
because we have our share of hefty people. However, we have to cross the
border to see the really, really huge ones. Overweight Canadians have
to cross border shop to find nice clothes because the market for
oversize clothing is much larger here, no pun intended.

I am not expert on California, having been for less than two whole
weeks last fall. I have to say that they people out there seem to be
much thinner than then western New Yorkers and other Great Lakes area
people I am more used to seeing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 10:11:18 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

> > > Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
> > > was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
> > > proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
> > > rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
> > > smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > sf

> > LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> > Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
> >

> I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
> as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
> small and crowded for that.
>
> --
>
> sf

You are right !! I was there this last week, you cannot be too heavy and navigate in those narrow aisles. On a very happy note a new HEB Plus is opening near us !! Have been waiting for years!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:02:34 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 10:11:18 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> > > Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
> > >

> > I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
> > as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
> > small and crowded for that.
> >

> You are right !! I was there this last week, you cannot be too heavy and navigate in those narrow aisles. On a very happy note a new HEB Plus is opening near us !! Have been waiting for years!!!

Yay for you - and I'm jealous! It looks a lot like a small local
chain up in the Sacramento area called Nugget Market.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > > On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> > > Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
> > > was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
> > > proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
> > > rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
> > > smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > sf

> > LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> > Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
> >

> I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
> as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
> small and crowded for that.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if supermarkets put all the high carb
products in really narrow isles? It would be a brilliant self-regulating
system.

If you don't fit, no carbs for you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 12:39:51 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

I'm just barely obese now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:43:35 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

> > > LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> > > Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
> > >

> > I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
> > as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
> > small and crowded for that.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea if supermarkets put all the high carb
> products in really narrow isles? It would be a brilliant self-regulating
> system.
>
> If you don't fit, no carbs for you!

Why don't you take it up with Sheldon and Graham?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/8/2016 8:49 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I think also that the guidelines are more Hollywood than healthy. The
>> last time
>> they were revised, someone 10 pounds over their "chart" weight would be
>> obese. It's ridiculous.

> I looked up the definition of obese by CDC standards. They
> talk about BMI, which is one dumb way of determining one's
> fitness level.
>
> I'm still wondering where they are getting the numbers. From
> doctor records? Because don't obese people land there more often,
> that would skew the results.
>
> nancy

Why would obese people land at the Dr. more often? And do you think they fly
there?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:39:47 -0600, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/for-the...bese-1.2934889

>> Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>> was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>> proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>> rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>> smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
>
> Cheri

Not my Trader Joe's. They have the dibbs on nutty buddy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
>>> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Or the people who sit in front of a computer and order online?
>>
>> Jill

> LOL, true...especially now that food can be delivered easily. Thankfully,
> now that I'm older, I don't really gain or lose anymore and stay at a
> decent weight, of course I think that's because we do eat less here than
> we used to.

I keep reading that we put on weight as we age. I've been pretty much this
same weight now for over 30 years. I did put on a little weight when
pregnant. And for some reason, I gained a little more after I had her. But I
lost that and then some. Mostly, I might go down 10 or 12 pounds here or
there but I generally stay at this weight. The weird thing right now is that
I am very badly swollen. My wedding ring that is normally loose, won't go
on. My plain, backup band that is 1.5 sizes larger was cutting into my
finger so is off. And my feet and lower legs are killing me. And yet, my
weight isn't up at all.

My mom certainly isn't eating less. I don't know if it's a matter of her
forgetting that she has eaten or what but there seems to be a disconnect
between her brain and stomach. She'll eat a big meal, dessert, then want a
snack right after. And then she's ready for dinner.

We used to take her out for lunch and dinner, but we had to stop. She was
getting angry at us for not wanting to eat dinner. We didn't even have the
dessert and snack but we just weren't hungry that soon after the meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 05:51:46 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>> > Oh, for god sake. Did you really think that nobody here knows obesity
>> > was a US epidemic? American men (and children) are whales too. For
>> > proof, all you need to do is Google "People of Walmart". FYI, the
>> > rest of the first world nations are catching up quickly, so your
>> > smugness may turn around and bite you in the butt one of these days.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > sf

>> LOL at the "People of Walmart", it could just as easily be the People of
>> Target, Marshall's, Kohls, Safeway, Trader Joe's and so on.
>>

> I haven't seen anything other than Walmart posted here, sorry. As far
> as Trader Joe's. Nope, no obese people there. Their stores are too
> small and crowded for that.

They must all be at mine then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>> > Fisherman's Wharf, SF... anyone goes west check out all those big
>> > assed frisco fatties. LOL

> If you saw fatties on Fisherman's Wharf, you were a fat tourist
> gawking at other fat tourists. Birds of a feather.

Oh come on. Are you saying that all the fatties are gone now? Because I
certainly have seen them there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> If you saw fatties on Fisherman's Wharf, you were a fat tourist
>> gawking at other fat tourists. Birds of a feather.

> We can't throw stones when it comes to that stereotype of fat Americans
> because we have our share of hefty people. However, we have to cross the
> border to see the really, really huge ones. Overweight Canadians have to
> cross border shop to find nice clothes because the market for oversize
> clothing is much larger here, no pun intended.
>
> I am not expert on California, having been for less than two whole weeks
> last fall. I have to say that they people out there seem to be much
> thinner than then western New Yorkers and other Great Lakes area people I
> am more used to seeing.

I actually don't recall seeing any extremely huge people in NY. Overweight,
yes. But when we lived in Alameda, we saw plenty of really huge people.
Usually in restaurants. And I have seen some here. Saw one earlier who was
attempting to walk a dog. She had rather short shorts on and had extremely
heavy thighs. So much so that her legs were very far apart. She was almost
straddling the sidewalk. She was having extreme trouble walking.

Saw one the other day that had so much fat around her lower body that it
seemed to be swirling like a hula hoop. That had to have been uncomfortable!