Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Complaining as usual

Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont seem to want to provide good food or service.
Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my belly-aching for today.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2016 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
>The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
>Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners don’t seem to want to provide good food or service.
>Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway that’s my belly-aching for today.
>====

I can sort of sympathise but have found one place that never
disappoints not too far from here. It is a pub but the food is
excellent and the servers are delightful. They also run a great
'loyalty' programme so about every fifth visit I get a real break on
the price. They don't have really fancy food but what they have is
good and properly (in my estimation) cooked, as in my fish is not
cooked to death and the chef made biscuit with the chowder is to kill
for
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 6:01:50 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2016 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>
> >Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
> >The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
> >Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont seem to want to provide good food or service.
> >Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my belly-aching for today.
> >====

> I can sort of sympathise but have found one place that never
> disappoints not too far from here. It is a pub but the food is
> excellent and the servers are delightful. They also run a great
> 'loyalty' programme so about every fifth visit I get a real break on
> the price. They don't have really fancy food but what they have is
> good and properly (in my estimation) cooked, as in my fish is not
> cooked to death and the chef made biscuit with the chowder is to kill
> for

I'm sure they take pride in their work...how fortunate you are.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We
went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not
busy, only about six people other than our 11.
The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The
meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and
tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont
seem to want to provide good food or service.
Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than
one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe
were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my
belly-aching for today.
====

I never realized you were 80, that explains a lot... and happy belated
birthday!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2016 7:46 PM, Roy wrote:
> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
> The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
> Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore.

Happy 80th. Your complaint sounds legitimate. They are probably not
used to larger parties and have no sense of timing. Inexcusable for any
decent restauraant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
>The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
>Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners don’t seem to want to provide good food or service.
>Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway that’s my belly-aching for today.
>====

HAPPY 80th!

I'm on your side, restarant food nowadays besides being way over
priced is crap. I refuse to eat out anymore... even bar drinks are a
giant ripoff, there's no reason a 2ni should cost $10, olives just
ain't very expensive, and how it's prepared it's watered down gin from
melted ice... I can prepare better at home with Boodles for less than
a buck. I can cook better at home too, much better. There's no way a
restaurant meal should cost $40, not ANY restaurant meal.. and no
bottle of wine on the planet should cost more than $20... it's
fermented/rotted grapes. duh I can make a gallon of great wine with
$3 worth of raisins, a pinch of yeast and a cup of sugar. This week
several USDA Choice steaks are $7.99/lb, it's no biggie to grill a
steak. I haven't ordered steak at restaurants for years, it's always
been nasty, mostly fat, gristle, bone, and tasteless. Why should I
pay $40 for a steak dinner that's awful when for $15 I can have a fine
full steak dinner at home, and steaks I picked myself. When I want
steak I ask the butcher for thick cut 24 ounce steaks, and the butcher
at the market in town knows me because I shop there all the time, 2-3
times a week, so I don't get crap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We
went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not
busy, only about six people other than our 11.
The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The
meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and
tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont
seem to want to provide good food or service.
Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than
one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe
were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my
belly-aching for today.
====

I only dine out at certain specific places where the food is good. I hate
going to parties were the food is mediocre. Seems most people I know love
mediocre food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We
> went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not
> busy, only about six people other than our 11.
> The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The
> meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
> Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled
> and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont
> seem to want to provide good food or service.
> Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than
> one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe
> were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my
> belly-aching for today.
> ====

Happy Birthday, Roy and I wish you many more ))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2016 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>>Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We
>>went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not
>>busy, only about six people other than our 11.
>>The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The
>>meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
>>Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled
>>and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners don't
>>seem to want to provide good food or service.
>>Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than
>>one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe
>>were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway that's my
>>belly-aching for today.
>>====

> HAPPY 80th!
>
> I'm on your side, restarant food nowadays besides being way over
> priced is crap. I refuse to eat out anymore... even bar drinks are a
> giant ripoff, there's no reason a 2ni should cost $10, olives just
> ain't very expensive, and how it's prepared it's watered down gin from
> melted ice... I can prepare better at home with Boodles for less than
> a buck. I can cook better at home too, much better. There's no way a
> restaurant meal should cost $40, not ANY restaurant meal.. and no
> bottle of wine on the planet should cost more than $20... it's
> fermented/rotted grapes. duh I can make a gallon of great wine with
> $3 worth of raisins, a pinch of yeast and a cup of sugar. This week
> several USDA Choice steaks are $7.99/lb, it's no biggie to grill a
> steak. I haven't ordered steak at restaurants for years, it's always
> been nasty, mostly fat, gristle, bone, and tasteless. Why should I
> pay $40 for a steak dinner that's awful when for $15 I can have a fine
> full steak dinner at home, and steaks I picked myself. When I want
> steak I ask the butcher for thick cut 24 ounce steaks, and the butcher
> at the market in town knows me because I shop there all the time, 2-3
> times a week, so I don't get crap.

I am with you on this. We very rarely eat out because we are usually
disappointed. Besides, which, I enjoy cooking too much to want to)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday.

Well Happy Birthday to you! Your dinner wasn't so good but I hope the
rest of your day was better than average. :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:22:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 30 May 2016 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We
>>>went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not
>>>busy, only about six people other than our 11.
>>>The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The
>>>meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
>>>Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled
>>>and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners don't
>>>seem to want to provide good food or service.
>>>Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than
>>>one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe
>>>were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway that's my
>>>belly-aching for today.
>>>====

>> HAPPY 80th!
>>
>> I'm on your side, restarant food nowadays besides being way over
>> priced is crap. I refuse to eat out anymore... even bar drinks are a
>> giant ripoff, there's no reason a 2ni should cost $10, olives just
>> ain't very expensive, and how it's prepared it's watered down gin from
>> melted ice... I can prepare better at home with Boodles for less than
>> a buck. I can cook better at home too, much better. There's no way a
>> restaurant meal should cost $40, not ANY restaurant meal.. and no
>> bottle of wine on the planet should cost more than $20... it's
>> fermented/rotted grapes. duh I can make a gallon of great wine with
>> $3 worth of raisins, a pinch of yeast and a cup of sugar. This week
>> several USDA Choice steaks are $7.99/lb, it's no biggie to grill a
>> steak. I haven't ordered steak at restaurants for years, it's always
>> been nasty, mostly fat, gristle, bone, and tasteless. Why should I
>> pay $40 for a steak dinner that's awful when for $15 I can have a fine
>> full steak dinner at home, and steaks I picked myself. When I want
>> steak I ask the butcher for thick cut 24 ounce steaks, and the butcher
>> at the market in town knows me because I shop there all the time, 2-3
>> times a week, so I don't get crap.

>I am with you on this. We very rarely eat out because we are usually
>disappointed. Besides, which, I enjoy cooking too much to want to)

I used to enjoy restaurants and ate out often but some 20 years ago
they began to noticeably degenerate and only degenerated more rapidly,
until nowadays people speak of fast food drive thrus as gourmet
dining... it's like folks boasting over which McDs has better
McMuffins. When I see TV fast food commercials with zombies
salivating over mystery meat I want to puke. The sad part is that
so-called fine restaurants aren't much better and much sadder many are
worse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:46:35 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
> The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
> Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners dont seem to want to provide good food or service.
> Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway thats my belly-aching for today.
> ====

Try Swiss Chalet.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 09:54:45 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:46:35 PM UTC-4, Roy wrote:
>> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday. We went to a local restaurant and we all ordered from the menu. It was not busy, only about six people other than our 11.
>> The food came and nearly all of our group complained about cold food. The meat was somewhat warm but cool vegetables, gravy and sauces.
>> Is it any wonder I hate restaurant food anymore. The prices have doubled and tripled from what they were three or four years ago and the owners don’t seem to want to provide good food or service.
>> Any places we visited in the USA over the past years were great other than one ritzy place in Hawaii but we get crap here at home in Alberta. Maybe were just not going to the right places to eat...anyway that’s my belly-aching for today.
>> ====

>Try Swiss Chalet.
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com

I went to Swiss Chalet about two months ago, we both agreed the
standard had dropped and that the size of the chicken pieces were
smaller, considerably smaller!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 1:36:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2016 09:54:45 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person wrote:
> >
> >Try Swiss Chalet.
> >
> >http://www.richardfisher.com

> I went to Swiss Chalet about two months ago, we both agreed the
> standard had dropped and that the size of the chicken pieces were
> smaller, considerably smaller!

That's very disappointing. I haven't been their for a while (several years) but their chicken used to be wonderful, even compared with home made. Have they been bought out? Where can I now go on my next trip to Canada?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:30:37 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 1:36:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 May 2016 09:54:45 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person wrote:
>> >
>> >Try Swiss Chalet.
>> >
>> >http://www.richardfisher.com

>> I went to Swiss Chalet about two months ago, we both agreed the
>> standard had dropped and that the size of the chicken pieces were
>> smaller, considerably smaller!

>That's very disappointing. I haven't been their for a while (several years) but their chicken used to be wonderful, even compared with home made. Have they been bought out? Where can I now go on my next trip to Canada?
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com

They are still individual franchises but many are noticing the tiny
chickens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:19:05 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>I used to enjoy restaurants and ate out often but some 20 years ago
>they began to noticeably degenerate and only degenerated more rapidly,
>until nowadays people speak of fast food drive thrus as gourmet
>dining... it's like folks boasting over which McDs has better
>McMuffins. When I see TV fast food commercials with zombies
>salivating over mystery meat I want to puke. The sad part is that
>so-called fine restaurants aren't much better and much sadder many are
>worse.

Seems I'm far from alone. I've found most of my restaurant experiences
disappointing over the years. And price has no bearing on it either,
IME. My cooking abilities have improved dramatically in the past 25
years and that might be part of the reason I feel that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday.

Happy birthday Roy, so it looks like we're both Geminis... not that
there's anything wrong with that
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 16:42:43 -0300, wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:30:37 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

http://www.richardfisher.com

>>> I went to Swiss Chalet about two months ago, we both agreed the
>>> standard had dropped and that the size of the chicken pieces were
>>> smaller, considerably smaller!

>>That's very disappointing. I haven't been their for a while (several years) but their chicken used to be wonderful, even compared with home made. Have they been bought out? Where can I now go on my next trip to Canada?
>>
>>http://www.richardfisher.com

>They are still individual franchises but many are noticing the tiny
>chickens

My DH and I go to Swiss Chalet for lunch when we go to the big city
shopping. I haven't noticed that the chicken pieces are any smaller.
In fact, the last time we went, I brought home what couldn't eat of
my breast quarter, and we shared it for our dinner that night.
(Chicken caesar salad.)

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2016 7:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> Roy wrote:
>>
>> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday.

> Well Happy Birthday to you! Your dinner wasn't so good but I hope the
> rest of your day was better than average. :-D

I concur! Happy belated 80th, Roy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 19:35:04 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2016 16:42:43 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:30:37 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

http://www.richardfisher.com

>>>That's very disappointing. I haven't been their for a while (several years) but their chicken used to be wonderful, even compared with home made. Have they been bought out? Where can I now go on my next trip to Canada?
>>>
>>>http://www.richardfisher.com

>>They are still individual franchises but many are noticing the tiny
>>chickens

>My DH and I go to Swiss Chalet for lunch when we go to the big city
>shopping. I haven't noticed that the chicken pieces are any smaller.
>In fact, the last time we went, I brought home what couldn't eat of
>my breast quarter, and we shared it for our dinner that night.
>(Chicken caesar salad.)
>
>Doris

I usually have the quarter chicken dinner - leg - and it was visibly
smaller. Coming your way soon no doubt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Happy birthday, Roy, and may you have many more! You have earned the right
to complain, seems to me. A large party of 11 should have been deemed special
by the cooks and staff.

There is only one place her I like to go out to any more, and that is the Amana
Colonies. Main Amana (there are 7 villages) has the Ronneburg Restaurant,
which ismthe best, hands down. The Colony Inn used to be the best, but they
have counted on their reputation for too long, and standards have slipped where
the food is concerned. Most restaurants in the Colonies serve "family style," so
a large party is a lot more fun than just a small group of 2 or 4, for instance.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 5:49:38 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 5/31/2016 7:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Roy wrote:
> >>
> >> Last Wednesday we had a family gathering to celebrate my 80th birthday.

> > Well Happy Birthday to you! Your dinner wasn't so good but I hope the
> > rest of your day was better than average. :-D
> >

> I concur! Happy belated 80th, Roy.
>
> Jill

Thanks Jill, and a thanks to all of the other forum members who wished me a "Happy Birthday"...80 years, another milestone on life's journey.
====