Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are your favourite pumpkin/squash recipes?

As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
pumpkin/squash.

I just picked 40 Golden Nuggets and at a guess there's still another
20 on the vines in the garden. They are a small pumpkin, quite sweet
with a creamy texture when cooked:
https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/...en-nugget.html
http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/...den-nugget.htm
So, I need some new ways to use them, any ideas most appreciated.

I might try stuffing and roasting some of the smaller ones as they are
an ideal size for two people. I planted the vines a little late for
our short growing season, so quite a few are still very small as we
head into winter here. But they have good colour inside and I tested
one by roasting it. Tastes fine.

I'm currently roasting two really small ones, along with one potato
and will make soup with them later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-12 11:00 PM, Je�us wrote:
> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
> pumpkin/squash.

The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2016 9:00 PM, Je�us wrote:
> I'm looking for some new ideas for
> pumpkin/squash.

Hand grenade, your arse, etc...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:07:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-05-12 11:00 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
>> pumpkin/squash.

> The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
>chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

I've had chocolate muffins made from pumpkin, I agree they're very
nice indeed. Also zucchini muffins... also surprisingly good.

Baking really isn't my forté, this might be an opportunity to remedy
that over winter, thanks for the idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On 5/12/2016 9:00 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> I'm looking for some new ideas for
>> pumpkin/squash.
>>

> Hand grenade, your arse, etc...

Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2016 11:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-12 11:00 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
>> pumpkin/squash.

> The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
> chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

My daughter and I make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies/biscuits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:00:32 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
> pumpkin/squash.
>
> I just picked 40 Golden Nuggets and at a guess there's still another
> 20 on the vines in the garden. They are a small pumpkin, quite sweet
> with a creamy texture when cooked:
> https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/...en-nugget.html
> http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/...den-nugget.htm
> So, I need some new ways to use them, any ideas most appreciated.
>
> I might try stuffing and roasting some of the smaller ones as they are
> an ideal size for two people. I planted the vines a little late for
> our short growing season, so quite a few are still very small as we
> head into winter here. But they have good colour inside and I tested
> one by roasting it. Tastes fine.
>
> I'm currently roasting two really small ones, along with one potato
> and will make soup with them later.

Thai pumpkin curry. I've no idea how it's made except it uses a different type of pumpkin to that generally available in the west. When made authentically it's wonderful. I used to get it in a tiny Thai restaurant in Richmond, CA which unfortunately is no longer there.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2016 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On 5/12/2016 9:00 PM, Je�us wrote:
>>> I'm looking for some new ideas for
>>> pumpkin/squash.
>>>

>> Hand grenade, your arse, etc...

> Heh.

:-))))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-12 11:23 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:07:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2016-05-12 11:00 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
>>> pumpkin/squash.

>> The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
>> chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

> I've had chocolate muffins made from pumpkin, I agree they're very
> nice indeed. Also zucchini muffins... also surprisingly good.
>
> Baking really isn't my forté, this might be an opportunity to remedy
> that over winter, thanks for the idea.

Muffins aren't really baking. They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
surprise any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
> pumpkin/squash.
>
> I just picked 40 Golden Nuggets and at a guess there's still another
> 20 on the vines in the garden. They are a small pumpkin, quite sweet
> with a creamy texture when cooked:
> https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/...eed/heirloom-p
> umpkin-seeds/pumpkin-golden-nugget.html
> http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/...vegetable-vari
> eties--winter-squash-golden-nugget.htm So, I need some new ways to
> use them, any ideas most appreciated.
>
> I might try stuffing and roasting some of the smaller ones as they are
> an ideal size for two people. I planted the vines a little late for
> our short growing season, so quite a few are still very small as we
> head into winter here. But they have good colour inside and I tested
> one by roasting it. Tastes fine.
>
> I'm currently roasting two really small ones, along with one potato
> and will make soup with them later.

Can you tell me what you do with them no besides soup? Kinda hard to
see if I have a new recipe for you without knowing that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 May 2016 14:19:57 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Je_us wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
> > pumpkin/squash.
> >
> > I just picked 40 Golden Nuggets and at a guess there's still another
> > 20 on the vines in the garden. They are a small pumpkin, quite sweet
> > with a creamy texture when cooked:
> > https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/...eed/heirloom-p
> > umpkin-seeds/pumpkin-golden-nugget.html
> > http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/...vegetable-vari
> > eties--winter-squash-golden-nugget.htm So, I need some new ways to
> > use them, any ideas most appreciated.
> >
> > I might try stuffing and roasting some of the smaller ones as they are
> > an ideal size for two people. I planted the vines a little late for
> > our short growing season, so quite a few are still very small as we
> > head into winter here. But they have good colour inside and I tested
> > one by roasting it. Tastes fine.
> >
> > I'm currently roasting two really small ones, along with one potato
> > and will make soup with them later.

> Can you tell me what you do with them no besides soup? Kinda hard to
> see if I have a new recipe for you without knowing that.

The original Gold Nugget bush squash developed as a substitute for the
sweet potato in short-season areas, so go with that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 May 2016 05:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:00:32 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
>> As per subject header, I'm looking for some new ideas for
>> pumpkin/squash.
>>
>> I just picked 40 Golden Nuggets and at a guess there's still another
>> 20 on the vines in the garden. They are a small pumpkin, quite sweet
>> with a creamy texture when cooked:
>> https://www.succeedheirlooms.com.au/...en-nugget.html
>> http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/...den-nugget.htm
>> So, I need some new ways to use them, any ideas most appreciated.
>>
>> I might try stuffing and roasting some of the smaller ones as they are
>> an ideal size for two people. I planted the vines a little late for
>> our short growing season, so quite a few are still very small as we
>> head into winter here. But they have good colour inside and I tested
>> one by roasting it. Tastes fine.
>>
>> I'm currently roasting two really small ones, along with one potato
>> and will make soup with them later.

>Thai pumpkin curry. I've no idea how it's made except it uses a different type of pumpkin to that generally available in the west. When made authentically it's wonderful. I used to get it in a tiny Thai restaurant in Richmond, CA which unfortunately is no longer there.

Thanks, I'll look into Thai pumpkin curry. We had curried chicken last
night and still have the pumpkin soup I made yesterday, so I might try
your idea next week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:09:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-05-12 11:23 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:07:40 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
>>> chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

>> I've had chocolate muffins made from pumpkin, I agree they're very
>> nice indeed. Also zucchini muffins... also surprisingly good.
>>
>> Baking really isn't my forté, this might be an opportunity to remedy
>> that over winter, thanks for the idea.
>>

>Muffins aren't really baking.

See, what did I tell you? Baking isn't my strong point

>They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
>no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
>pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
>sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
>was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
>couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
>see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
>surprise any more.

It's one of those unlikely combos that work. Beetroot is much the same
in that regard:
https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipe...troot-cupcakes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2016 6:44 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 05:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>> Thai pumpkin curry. I've no idea how it's made except it uses a different type of pumpkin to that generally available in the west. When made authentically it's wonderful. I used to get it in a tiny Thai restaurant in Richmond, CA which unfortunately is no longer there.

> Thanks, I'll look into Thai pumpkin curry. We had curried chicken last
> night and still have the pumpkin soup I made yesterday, so I might try
> your idea next week.

One good thing about pumpkins/squash (gourds, really) is they store well
in cool weather.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 May 2016 19:32:25 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/13/2016 6:44 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2016 05:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Thai pumpkin curry. I've no idea how it's made except it uses a different type of pumpkin to that generally available in the west. When made authentically it's wonderful. I used to get it in a tiny Thai restaurant in Richmond, CA which unfortunately is no longer there.

>> Thanks, I'll look into Thai pumpkin curry. We had curried chicken last
>> night and still have the pumpkin soup I made yesterday, so I might try
>> your idea next week.
>>

>One good thing about pumpkins/squash (gourds, really) is they store well
>in cool weather.

They sure do, as long as they are stored cool and dry. I had one
stored for three years and it still looked fine, inside and out. I
gave it to the animals, but it was probably still perfectly good for
hoomans to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-13 6:47 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:09:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

> See, what did I tell you? Baking isn't my strong point
>
>> They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
>> no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
>> pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
>> sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
>> was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
>> couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
>> see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
>> surprise any more.

> It's one of those unlikely combos that work. Beetroot is much the same
> in that regard:
> https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipe...troot-cupcakes

I wish I could convince my wife about that beet root thing. She will eat
just about anything, but not beet root. She doesn't even like beet
greens in a salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:09:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2016-05-12 11:23 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:07:40 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I've had chocolate muffins made from pumpkin, I agree they're very
>>> nice indeed. Also zucchini muffins... also surprisingly good.
>>>
>>> Baking really isn't my forté, this might be an opportunity to remedy
>>> that over winter, thanks for the idea.
>>>

>>Muffins aren't really baking.

> See, what did I tell you? Baking isn't my strong point
>
>>They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
>>no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
>>pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
>>sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
>>was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
>>couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
>>see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
>>surprise any more.

> It's one of those unlikely combos that work. Beetroot is much the same
> in that regard:
> https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipe...troot-cupcakes

You should ask Sheila Viemeister. She and her daughter makes things like
that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>Jeßus wrote in message
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>>Muffins aren't really baking.

If not baking then what... if muffins aren't baking then neither are
pies baking, then neither are cookies baking... mayhaps you don't
consider pizza baking either. Quick breads are as much baking as
yeast breads and cakes. Methinks baked chicken tonight.
Get off you kiester and bake a quiche... I'm gonna bake potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2016-05-12 11:23 PM, Je?us wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:07:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> The bakery/coffee shop around the corner from us has pumpkin chocolate
> >> chip muffins. I often get one because they are always surprisingly tasty.

> > I've had chocolate muffins made from pumpkin, I agree they're very
> > nice indeed. Also zucchini muffins... also surprisingly good.
> >
> > Baking really isn't my forté, this might be an opportunity to remedy
> > that over winter, thanks for the idea.
> >

> Muffins aren't really baking. They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
> no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
> pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
> sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
> was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
> couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
> see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
> surprise any more.

My husband is a global aficionado of choc cake recipes; never known to
refuse one, he is genetically compelled to sample any and every new
version). This is our all-time favourite made with courgettes/zucchini.

http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/v...courgette-cake

You could put the recipe in muffin cases and reduce the cooking time,
but I just cook it in a baking tin and cut into squares. It hardly
matters how big the squares are because everybody who tastes one is
going to eat at least two. Or three. Moist, chocolatey, mysteriously
gorgeous,once cooked you would never guess what the other ingredient
was.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-14 9:46 AM, Janet wrote:

> My husband is a global aficionado of choc cake recipes; never known to
> refuse one, he is genetically compelled to sample any and every new
> version). This is our all-time favourite made with courgettes/zucchini.

Has he ever tried one with sauerkraut? My brother's neighbour used to
make one like that and it was incredible. The sauerkraut ends up tasting
more like coconut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>Jeßus wrote in message

I didn't write that just saying

> If not baking then what... if muffins aren't baking then neither are
> pies baking, then neither are cookies baking... mayhaps you don't
> consider pizza baking either. Quick breads are as much baking as
> yeast breads and cakes. Methinks baked chicken tonight.
> Get off you kiester and bake a quiche... I'm gonna bake potatoes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 May 2016 21:00:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-05-13 6:47 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:09:46 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>

>> See, what did I tell you? Baking isn't my strong point
>>
>>> They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
>>> no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
>>> pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
>>> sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
>>> was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
>>> couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
>>> see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
>>> surprise any more.

>> It's one of those unlikely combos that work. Beetroot is much the same
>> in that regard:
>> https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipe...troot-cupcakes

>I wish I could convince my wife about that beet root thing. She will eat
>just about anything, but not beet root. She doesn't even like beet
>greens in a salad.

Beets/beetroot is generally something I have to be in the mood for,
but I do like them. I should probably grow some again this year as I
haven't grown them in ages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 May 2016 10:04:15 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:09:46 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>Muffins aren't really baking.

>> See, what did I tell you? Baking isn't my strong point
>>
>>>They are generally very forgiving. Sorry,
>>>no recipe for the muffins I get to go with my coffee, but they are
>>>pumpkin and chocolate chip. What I can tell you is that they did not
>>>sound very appealing to me at first, but when I did finally try one I
>>>was amazed at how good they were. I was hooked on them and even after a
>>>couple years I am still pleasantly surprised when I bite into them and
>>>see how surprisingly good they are, even though it should not be a
>>>surprise any more.

>> It's one of those unlikely combos that work. Beetroot is much the same
>> in that regard:
>> https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipe...troot-cupcakes
>>

>You should ask Sheila Viemeister. She and her daughter makes things like
>that.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and ask Sheila when she next makes an
appearance (if I don't forget!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2016 3:18 PM, Je�us wrote:

>> You should ask Sheila Viemeister. She and her daughter makes things like
>> that.

> Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and ask Sheila when she next makes an
> appearance (if I don't forget!

Do you still have the same email as when I sent you the beef burgundy
recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 May 2016 15:40:54 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 5/15/2016 3:18 PM, Je?us wrote:
>
>>> You should ask Sheila Viemeister. She and her daughter makes things like
>>> that.

>> Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and ask Sheila when she next makes an
>> appearance (if I don't forget!
>>

>Do you still have the same email as when I sent you the beef burgundy
>recipe?

Wow, that was quick Sheila Yes, same email address is fine, thank
you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2016 1:17 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Beets/beetroot is generally something I have to be in the mood for,

Unlike being a full time censor, eh coward?

Favourite chicken recipes Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 22 26-02-2014 12:57 AM
Favourite Recipes Tiger Lily Diabetic 26 05-01-2012 08:45 AM
Favourite left over recipes Pits is just tired General Cooking 2 03-01-2009 03:13 AM
Favourite Recipes Tony Andreas General Cooking 0 30-12-2007 11:49 AM
Need favourite Sausage recipes Gil Barbecue 8 02-05-2006 01:44 AM