FoodBanter.com

-   -   [OT] Life after cell phone (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/436771-ot-life-after-cell.html)

notbob 03-05-2016 02:21 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

nb

Cheri[_3_] 03-05-2016 02:28 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>
> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>
> I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
> work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
> wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
> also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
> cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.
>
> nb

As long as you're happy, that's what counts.

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 03-05-2016 02:33 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
> When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.
>
> nb

Sell it on eBay. ;)

Jill

Biz Cochito 03-05-2016 03:11 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 7:21 AM, notbob wrote:
> I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.
>
> nb

No they don't.

Gary 03-05-2016 04:26 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

notbob wrote:

> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>
> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>
> I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
> work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
> wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
> also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
> cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
up for a phone plan.

I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
ideas of the best way to start?

jmcquown[_2_] 03-05-2016 05:33 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>
> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up. ;)

Jill

Bon Ami 03-05-2016 07:04 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

Gary wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> >
> > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> > one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> > device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> >
> > I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
> > work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
> > wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
> > also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
> > cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> > buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

> I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
> cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
> cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
> up for a phone plan.
>
> I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
> ideas of the best way to start?

I got a cheapo LG Realm Tracfone on Amazon several years ago, I think it was thirty bux. I never activated it, just use it for WiFi hotspots, Google maps, and I have 32 gigs of old time radio, music, etc. on the SD card, so I use it for that...

All the apps, etc. will work just fine, even though it's not activated...

--
Best
Greg

notbob 03-05-2016 08:02 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 2016-05-03, jmcquown > wrote:

> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
> can't get up. ;)

Great info! Thnx, Jill. ;)

nb

Sqwertz[_3_] 03-05-2016 08:10 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 10:32 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> sucks but this was really good.

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

John Kuthe[_3_] 03-05-2016 08:36 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
> > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> >
> > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> > one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> > device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> >

> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
> can't get up. ;)
>
> Jill

Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)

I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?

The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!

Fools abound! ;-(

John Kuthe...

Nancy Young[_8_] 03-05-2016 08:38 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 12:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Even the Android phones still suck for web browsing. They are a
> completely different experience than using a real computer. Web
> servers give you a downsized "streamlined" <my ass!> version of the
> web page than if you were using a real browser on a real computer.

As much as I appreciate having the tablet on vacation, I wondered
about people having only that kind of thing to browse the web,
the sites are missing a lot of content.

> They are good for playing games and listening to music, though. And
> the occasional satellite weather imaging to know when and how long
> it's going to rain. I bootleg all my games and apps and have never
> activated Google Pay Services or downloaded anything from the Google
> Store, which requires a lot of overhead on your phone and is the main
> conduit by which Google invades your privacy (just look at it's
> permission settings).

All those apps want all kinds of permissions, even if you are
willing to pay for them.

Even the public library. Go away. It's very off-putting.
No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
the tablet, not the point.

nancy

Bruce© 03-05-2016 08:45 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 1:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>>>
>>> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>>> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>>> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>>>

>> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>> can't get up. ;)
>>
>> Jill

> Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>
> I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>
> The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>
> Fools abound! ;-(
>
> John Kuthe...

Guess what's missing from just about every street corner and storefront
- the then ubiquitous PAY PHONE BOOTH!

The only thing you're a dime away from now is a cheap Hershey kiss to
stuff your hypocritical Chicom-hating face with!

Jeßus[_53_] 03-05-2016 09:00 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:33:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>can't get up. ;)

AFAIK, it's the same in most countries, which is why I keep old phones
with chargers in the glove box of my cars.

Jeßus[_53_] 03-05-2016 09:02 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
>> > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>> >
>> > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>> > one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>> > device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>> >

>> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>> can't get up. ;)
>>
>> Jill

>Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>
>I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>
>The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>
>Fools abound! ;-(

You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
should write you in for president.

Bruce© 03-05-2016 09:03 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 2:02 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:

>>> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>>> can't get up. ;)
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>>
>> I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>>
>> The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>>
>> Fools abound! ;-(

> You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
> should write you in for president.

Of where, Astrailler?

William[_5_] 03-05-2016 09:17 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>
>I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>
>I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
>work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
>wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
>also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
>cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
>buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.
>
>nb

before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.

Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
of life.

William

jmcquown[_2_] 03-05-2016 10:02 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 4:02 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:

>>> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>>> can't get up. ;)
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>>
>> I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?

There goes Kuthe jabbering about nothing again.

> You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
> should write you in for president.

What a great idea! After all, he's an RN! Heh.

Jill

Jeßus[_53_] 03-05-2016 10:04 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 3 May 2016 17:02:13 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/3/2016 4:02 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>>> Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>>>
>>> I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>>>

>There goes Kuthe jabbering about nothing again.
>
>> You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
>> should write you in for president.
>>

>What a great idea! After all, he's an RN! Heh.

AND an engineer! Don't forget that.

jmcquown[_2_] 03-05-2016 10:13 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 4:17 PM, William wrote:
> On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>>
>> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>>
>> nb

> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>
> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
> of life.
>
> William

It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
haven't missed it.

Jill

Cloudbuster 03-05-2016 10:18 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 2:17 PM, William wrote:
> On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>>
>> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>>
>> I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
>> work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
>> wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
>> also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
>> cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
>> buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.
>>
>> nb

> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>
> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
> of life.
>
> William

And there was this really sci-fi cooling technology known as AC.

Prior to 1950 it wasn't in anyone's home.

Biz Cochito 03-05-2016 10:28 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 3:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 4:17 PM, William wrote:
>> On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>>>
>>> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>>> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>>> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>>>
>>> nb

>> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
>> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
>> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
>> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
>> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>>
>> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
>> of life.
>>
>> William
>>

> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> haven't missed it.
>
> Jill

Old biddy rationalizing.

jmcquown[_2_] 03-05-2016 11:03 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 5:04 PM, Je�us wrote:
> AND an engineer! Don't forget that.

Dammit, I already did forget! "Engineer" hasn't been hammered into my
head like "RN" has. Despite what Kuthe thinks, I have never been a
slave to a cell phone. All I did was point out to notbob that dialing
911 works on cell phones without an active service plan. IIRC in the US
it's required by law that anyone be able to dial for help in an emergency.

Ditto public pay phones. You don't need money to dial 911/Emergency or
the Operator.

Jill

[email protected] 03-05-2016 11:25 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Wed, 04 May 2016 06:02:18 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>> 911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
>>> can't get up. ;)
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>>
>>I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>>
>>The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>>
>>Fools abound! ;-(

>You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
>should write you in for president.

Aah but could he beat out Trump?

[email protected] 03-05-2016 11:28 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 3 May 2016 18:03:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/3/2016 5:04 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> AND an engineer! Don't forget that.

>Dammit, I already did forget! "Engineer" hasn't been hammered into my
>head like "RN" has. Despite what Kuthe thinks, I have never been a
>slave to a cell phone. All I did was point out to notbob that dialing
>911 works on cell phones without an active service plan. IIRC in the US
>it's required by law that anyone be able to dial for help in an emergency.
>
>Ditto public pay phones. You don't need money to dial 911/Emergency or
>the Operator.
>
>Jill

Yabbut, first you have to find a pay phone, not many left around here.

Roy[_4_] 03-05-2016 11:29 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 3:28:41 PM UTC-6, Biz Cochito wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 3:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> >> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
> >> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
> >> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
> >> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
> >> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
> >>
> >> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
> >> of life.
> >>
> >> William
> >>

> > It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> > haven't missed it.
> >
> > Jill

> Old biddy rationalizing.

Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?
====

Jeßus[_53_] 03-05-2016 11:35 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

wrote:

>On 5/3/2016 5:04 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> AND an engineer! Don't forget that.

>Dammit, I already did forget! "Engineer" hasn't been hammered into my
>head like "RN" has. Despite what Kuthe thinks, I have never been a
>slave to a cell phone. All I did was point out to notbob that dialing
>911 works on cell phones without an active service plan. IIRC in the US
>it's required by law that anyone be able to dial for help in an emergency.
>
>Ditto public pay phones. You don't need money to dial 911/Emergency or
>the Operator.

Yep, same here in Aus.

Jeßus[_53_] 03-05-2016 11:36 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 03 May 2016 19:25:12 -0300, wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2016 06:02:18 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>>>Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>>>
>>>I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>>>
>>>The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>>>
>>>Fools abound! ;-(

>>You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
>>should write you in for president.

>Aah but could he beat out Trump?

Looney and even Loonyer? What a contest :)

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-05-2016 11:43 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 2016-05-03 6:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 3:28:41 PM UTC-6, Biz Cochito wrote:

>>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>>> haven't missed it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Old biddy rationalizing.

> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?

My bet would be that it is to get some attention. As long as you keep
replying to him he gets his thrills.

Biz Cochito 03-05-2016 11:45 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 4:29 PM, Roy wrote:

>>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>>> haven't missed it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Old biddy rationalizing.

> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?
> ====

Hey roy boy, try showing as much empathy for Julie, you tundra-hopping
fraud!

Bruce© 03-05-2016 11:47 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 4:36 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2016 19:25:12 -0300, wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 May 2016 06:02:18 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

>>> You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
>>> should write you in for president.

>> Aah but could he beat out Trump?

> Looney and even Loonyer? What a contest :)

Says the rabbit-killing Auztard, slave to the pommie bastids!

Biz Cochito 03-05-2016 11:48 PM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 4:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Old biddy rationalizing.

>> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
>> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?

> My bet would be that it is to get some attention. As long as you keep
> replying to him he gets his thrills.

Thanks for your participation, Guts Griping.

Now back to your regular bitchfest.

Jeßus[_53_] 04-05-2016 12:12 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On Tue, 3 May 2016 18:43:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-05-03 6:29 PM, Roy wrote:

>>> Old biddy rationalizing.

>> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
>> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?

>My bet would be that it is to get some attention. As long as you keep
>replying to him he gets his thrills.

Which is why he will always be a part of this group. So get used to it
(if you haven't already :) Some somehow can't pick his new nyms, which
just baffles me. Then you have others like Roy who think they can win
by throwing logic at him, little realising he's merely feeding the
troll. Then you have the others who know it's the boner troll and
silently condone his abuse. So, there's every reason for this
particular troll to stick around.

The simplest and most effective solution is to just ignore it, of
course. Without a reaction, trolls have no sustenance. But there's
always just enough regulars who will take the bait and keep them well
nourished.

Here's a little diatribe on our boner friend, posted to another group.
It's not entirely accurate but highlights some of it's traits. I've
roughly edited out irrelevant stuff:

"Spammy FAQ

WHAT IS SPAMMY?
Spammy goes by too many aliases to list here. He/She changes his/her
alias at least once a week, often several times a week, depending on
how badly he/she has his/her ass kicked in a debate. Spammy roams
the political NG's pretending to be a patriot, but adds little
evidence of such to support such wild claims. Sadly, Spammy is a
clueless troll who tries albeit unsuccessfully to have a
valid argument about anything legitimate.

For most in these NG's, Spammy has become so much of a botheration
that he/she is regularly plonked into the trash can by many
regulars once the new alias appears. With the diminishing rather
than growing number of posters in these NG's, Spammy is fairly easy
to spot. Each time a new alias appears, the likelihood of it being
Spammy is fairly high. Here are some things to watch for:

2. Look for the continued use of extremely foul language,
including delusions of bestiality and pedophilia. He/she is often
hard pressed for a better rebuttal than to start yelling. Here
are some examples.

3. A typical Spammy pattern will be to respond in an almost human
manner
on the first day of the new alias to try and suck people in. Rooting
him/her out is relatively easy. Just say something bad about Bush or
Republicans. Works every time. With each passing post, one can see
Spammy's blood pressure rise until the answers start arriving in all
capital letters. Shortly thereafter, Spammy will disappear and
resurface with a new alias. About once a month, Spammy disappears
for a week or more. There are several theories about why this
happens, the most logical is a trip to the psych ward for new meds or
a lobotomy.

5. One of Spammy's favorite ploys is to erase the complete post of
the previous poster and add a foul reply, thinking that by erasing
the previous post, Spammy has somehow erased it from the NG. Spammy
seems too simple minded to understand that the original post remains
regardless of how many times he/she erases it during the reply.

6. Spammy always gets the last words. They may be suitable only for
his/her clients at the Greyhound bus station bathroom, but
nevertheless it is futile to try and outpost the Spamster.
Attempting to post a follow up will only warrant another volley of
smut.

7. Spammy often posts the IP address lookup of the poster if it is
available as if he/she has outed that person. Since turnabout is
fair play, here is the IPa ddress from which Spammy posts:
206.124.6.34 <206-124-6-34.denver.dsl.forethought.net>. Using the
following web site (http://www.ip-adress.com/) with the satellite
function clicked, one can zoom in on the apartment complex of
exactly where this useless, toothless piece of pedophilic trailer
trash lives.

8. Spammy often posts 24/7, leading one to believe that he/she
doesn't work and stays at home a lot. There have been many
theories, including Spammy being recluse, handicapped, alchoholic,
pedophilic, drug addict, etc. The truth is that we don't really
know what it is that Spammy does for work or enjoyment. But as he
seems to be at the computer 24/7,

WHAT TO DO ABOUT SPAMMY?
As always, the best way to get a useless
troll to go away is to ignore them."

Biz Cochito 04-05-2016 12:17 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 5:12 PM, Je�us wrote:

> [...]

> available as if he/she has outed that person. Since turnabout is
> fair play, here is the IPa ddress from which Spammy posts:
> 206.124.6.34 <206-124-6-34.denver.dsl.forethought.net>. Using the
> following web site (http://www.ip-adress.com/) with the satellite
> function clicked, one can zoom in on the apartment complex of
> exactly where this useless, toothless piece of pedophilic trailer
> trash lives.
>
> 8. Spammy often posts 24/7, leading one to believe that he/she
> doesn't work and stays at home a lot. There have been many
> theories, including Spammy being recluse, handicapped, alchoholic,
> pedophilic, drug addict, etc. The truth is that we don't really
> know what it is that Spammy does for work or enjoyment. But as he
> seems to be at the computer 24/7,
>

> WHAT TO DO ABOUT SPAMMY?
> As always, the best way to get a useless

Wow.

So you're not buying the Casto FAQ?

Lol.

So many trolls, so many theories.

Tee hee...

cshenk 04-05-2016 12:23 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/3/2016 4:17 PM, William wrote:
> >On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> > > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> > >
> > > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss
> > > it one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still
> > > have the device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> > >
> > > nb

> > before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
> > he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
> > refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
> > their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
> > for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
> >
> > Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as
> > necessities of life.
> >
> > William
> >

> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> haven't missed it.
>
> Jill

In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

Cloudbuster 04-05-2016 12:27 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 5:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
>>> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
>>> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
>>> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
>>> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>>>
>>> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as
>>> necessities of life.
>>>
>>> William
>>>

>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>> haven't missed it.
>>
>> Jill

> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

What kind of landline costs that much, the red phone to the Kremlin?

jmcquown[_2_] 04-05-2016 01:02 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 6:28 PM, wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 18:03:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/3/2016 5:04 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> AND an engineer! Don't forget that.

>> Dammit, I already did forget! "Engineer" hasn't been hammered into my
>> head like "RN" has. Despite what Kuthe thinks, I have never been a
>> slave to a cell phone. All I did was point out to notbob that dialing
>> 911 works on cell phones without an active service plan. IIRC in the US
>> it's required by law that anyone be able to dial for help in an emergency.
>>
>> Ditto public pay phones. You don't need money to dial 911/Emergency or
>> the Operator.
>>
>> Jill

> Yabbut, first you have to find a pay phone, not many left around here.

There are still plenty of them where I live.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-05-2016 01:09 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 6:29 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 3:28:41 PM UTC-6, Biz Cochito wrote:

>>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>>> haven't missed it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Old biddy rationalizing.

> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?
> ====

No one has to *do* anything to make a troll crawl out from under the bridge.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-05-2016 01:19 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
>>> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
>>> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
>>> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
>>> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>>>
>>> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as
>>> necessities of life.
>>>
>>> William
>>>

>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>> haven't missed it.
>>
>> Jill

> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

Not that it matters to anyone else but I have to have a land line for
the required security system. I didn't see any point in having the
extra expense of a cell phone bill, too. I do not like talking on the
phone.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski 04-05-2016 01:44 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 3:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)
>
> I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?
>
> The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!
>
> Fools abound! ;-(
>
> John Kuthe...

I agree. When my wife broke her ankle on the way to the mailbox and
could not get up, all she had to do was pull herself with her arms to
the door. It was only 50 feet or so. What a sissy, she used her cell
phone from the big telecommunication company to call for help. Or she
could have just waited a few hours until I got home.

Ed Pawlowski 04-05-2016 02:04 AM

[OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:

> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic service.
Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.