Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/6/2016 8:23 AM, Gary wrote:

> At first, it will be a new toy. Once I get used to it, maybe I'll get
> a better one to activate. Who knows. Would you deny me a simple toy
> for now? I have computers at home but this would be entertainment when
> I'm out.

If you can use it on wi-fi it can be very handy to have. As a
ferinstance, next week I'm going to be in a situation on a couple of
days where I have to wait for a few hours at a time. I'll read the
local news, check out USA Today, Flipboard. etc. It is not heavy to
carry around or take up space. I'll probably send a few texts to
interested parties about the progress of where I am.
If nothing else, it is handy entertainment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Foreigners seem to really hope he doesn't win.
> > That right there tells me that he might be the best choice.

> Think of it more like some extended family members dreading a marriage
> to a drunken fool.

Extended family members better get used to the idea. And if he is a
drunken fool then he should keep on drinking....it made him a
billionaire and also a front runner in the presidential election.

I personally admire him for speaking his mind and not politically
correct crap. This is a new thing.

Don't worry too much though. He won't be King of America. Congress
will keep him on a short leash. I'll bet you now that he wins big in
November and he will also easily win a 2nd term in 2020.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 9:25 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.
>>
>> N.

> As do I, it works well for me.
>
> Cheri

For quick trips to the dollar store for things like milk, eggs, toilet
paper, I hand write a list. For a stock-up trip I use Publix
Supermarket's online shopping list and print the list from the computer
before I leave the house. So, sometimes technology is involved, it's
just not on a phone.

Hey, if people enjoy using a cell phone for grocery lists more power to
them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 9:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> You might like to give some thought to all those who have lost their
> homes in Canada too

I was watching footage yesterday, what an awful thing, and
all those people trying to escape. Scary as hell.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 11:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 14:04:54 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2016 1:29 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I've moved on to Hangouts.
>>>

>> Is that part of google +?

> It's independent of G+, AFAIK. Go to your Google home page, click on
> the 9 dot square and open Google apps to find it. There is also a
> Hangouts app to install on your phone from Google Play. I have it on
> w10 too. I think I downloaded it from the Chrome app store, but I
> don't remember what I did to make it independent of Chrome.

Thanks, I'll log in and do some fiddling this weekend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 2:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cloudbuster" > wrote in message

>>> Here, a 'nappy' is what babies wear <g>
>>>

>> Ha!
>>
>> A new one on me.
>>
>> We have other uses for that word, but not ones I'd use.

> I just remembered, I think you call them diapers

Lol, and then hope like heck they actually nod off...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 3:15 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 10:11:05 AM UTC-10, Cloudbuster wrote:

>>> I have great hopes for the younger generations. My guess is that they
>>> won't be of a generation tested by the fires of war which is a good
>>> thing but they'll have to prove their bravery and valor in other ways -
>>> or maybe even not at all.

>> I seriously doubt they escape wars, seriously...
>>
>>> As far as cell phones goes, I certainly need mine. I get all calls to my
>>> office forwarded to me. I was taking a little nappy in my bed when I got
>>> a call from someone wanting to see me. That was 45 minutes ago. Now I'm
>>> at the office. Hurray for cell phones!

>> Well at least you're not testy about being on call!

> I live about a mile from the office so it's not a big deal. The woman wanted to see me again this morning but that's going to be a little more difficult. I'm off that tiny rock in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm on an even tinier rock in the middle of nowhere. Boy, things here are expensive. I'm eating a cold tuna sandwich that I got from Long's Drugs a few minutes before it closed. It was $5.79. Well, I'm just happy I got something to eat.

I haven't seen a Longs Drugs in some time - brings back memories!

But not of sammiches that pricey.

> We ate at "The Crack" in Poipu today. It was a real crack in the wall but the food was pretty good. My wife said that the people here seemed pretty friendly and this is definitely the case. The island is much like my island except there's only 1/5 of the people. We went to Costco and it wasn't like that rat race back home. Everyone was relaxed and happy - including me. OTOH, I sure hope my money holds out - my pocket loot is disappearing at an alarming rate. Hee hee.
>
> http://www.notquitenigella.com/2014/...-kauai-hawaii/

The heck with all those pokes, what got my attention was the Monchong -
and served with lobster, wow!

Great photo tour btw, this is an eye-candy website.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 May 2016 09:06:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.

>Me and Jill too.
>
>I really do still like and prefer paper. I buy real paper books and
>not a Kindle type of electronic reader.
>I also check out real paper books from the library. Hey...we have to
>keep them going too.
>
>I am also a list person. I *LOVE* the 5x7 pads of paper for lists.
>
>Not picking on sf or anyone who perfers the e-lists. I just still
>prefer paper. This is what I've always had and this is what I prefer.
>No preference is "wrong." It's what you like.
>
>"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That applies to me in some cases.

Me too, what can be more simple than a piece of paper on the 'fridge
to which through the week I add anything I will need. Take list which
is in the order for the layout of the supermarket, put in pocket and
go!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 May 2016 14:10:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
>> heh. We were all just being "RFC" yesterday and arguing.
>> Interesting that no one mentioned Cinco de Mayo yesterday.
>> I celebrated it just for an excuse to drink some beer. heheh
>> I did buy ingredients to make a batch (8 count) of burritoes.
>> Plan to make the darn things later today.

>You might like to give some thought to all those who have lost their homes
>in Canada too

Many of whom came from the Maritimes I have two grandsons working
out there but fortunately based in Grande Prairie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 6:09 AM, Bruce wrote:
> Sometimes foreigners
> know best because they have the required distance to judge things.

**** off out of OUR BUSINESS, you mincing Goddamned agitator!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 7:10 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Foreigners seem to really hope he doesn't win.
>> That right there tells me that he might be the best choice.

> Think of it more like some extended family members dreading a marriage
> to a drunken fool.

You have NO SKIN in our game canucklehead, take your blame game little
brother mentality and **** THE HELL OFF!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-06, Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 2016-05-06 8:10 AM, Gary wrote:

>> heh. We were all just being "RFC" yesterday and arguing.
>> Interesting that no one mentioned Cinco de Mayo yesterday.
>> I celebrated it just for an excuse to drink some beer. heheh
>> I did buy ingredients to make a batch (8 count) of burritoes.
>> Plan to make the darn things later today.

> I was out kayaking last night was was hungry on the way home. I was
> going to pick up a couple tacos on the way home but when I got to the
> place they had a Cinco de Mayo sale... large Burritos for $5.

One needs "an excuse" to drink beer? Who knew!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 7:48 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Think of it more like some extended family members dreading a marriage
>> > to a drunken fool.

> Extended family members better get used to the idea.

These whiners are NOT "extended family members"!

They use that as an excuse to blame all THEIR problems on US!

Get with it man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-06, jmcquown > wrote:

> Hell, if he really wants walls he can afford to build them himself.

You jes know he will put his name on it.

Trump Wall!

I heard a good one: Real estate investors love it when Trump puts his
name on one of his bldgs. That way, they know which ones to repossess.

(drumroll/cymcrash)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/6/2016 9:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> You might like to give some thought to all those who have lost their
>> homes in Canada too

> I was watching footage yesterday, what an awful thing, and
> all those people trying to escape. Scary as hell.

Yes

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cloudbuster" > wrote in message
> On 5/6/2016 2:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Ha!
>>>
>>> A new one on me.
>>>
>>> We have other uses for that word, but not ones I'd use.

>> I just remembered, I think you call them diapers
>>

> Lol, and then hope like heck they actually nod off...

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 8:42 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-06, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Hell, if he really wants walls he can afford to build them himself.

> You jes know he will put his name on it.
>
> Trump Wall!
>
> I heard a good one: Real estate investors love it when Trump puts his
> name on one of his bldgs. That way, they know which ones to repossess.
>
> (drumroll/cymcrash)
>
> nb

So you'd rather have 11 million plus illegal criminals running free here?

Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 5:33:52 PM UTC-5, Cheryl wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 2:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 5/4/2016 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
> >> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young

> >> A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

> > Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> > book to read on vacation/whatever.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Exactly. There were libraries on the internet way before the "internet".
> I remember connecting to our local library via telnet or something and
> it was very handy.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

Telnet was via the Internet. Are you confusing the Internet with the World Wide Web?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 9:10 AM, Sharon wrote:

>> If that's the case, it will cost you a fortune just to build the walls
>> he wants between the USA and Mexico and the USA and Canada. So look
>> for a tax hike.
>>

> IMHO He's no breath of fresh air. He's a dangerous windbag.....Sharon
> in Canada

MIND YOUR OWN ****ING BEESWAX, BITCH!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> One needs "an excuse" to drink beer? Who knew!

Every day is a celebration of 'something'.
Drink beer and prosper, that's my theory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon wrote:

> On 06/05/2016 9:03 AM, wrote:

> >> Foreigners seem to really hope he doesn't win.
> >> That right there tells me that he might be the best choice.
> >>
> >> I already guessed Trump a few months ago. People here are sick and
> >> tired of the same old crap every election. He's a loose cannon but
> >> citizens seem to like that "breath of fresh air." This is why he's in
> >> the lead now.
> >>
> >> I'll say it again now. It seems that it will end up being Trump vs
> >> Clinton in November. I predict the general election will pick Trump by
> >> a fairly large margin.

> > If that's the case, it will cost you a fortune just to build the walls
> > he wants between the USA and Mexico and the USA and Canada. So look
> > for a tax hike.
> >

> IMHO He's no breath of fresh air. He's a dangerous windbag.....Sharon
> in Canada

So says another foreigner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 May 2016 09:48:13 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > Foreigners seem to really hope he doesn't win.
>> > That right there tells me that he might be the best choice.

>> Think of it more like some extended family members dreading a marriage
>> to a drunken fool.

>Extended family members better get used to the idea. And if he is a
>drunken fool then he should keep on drinking....it made him a
>billionaire and also a front runner in the presidential election.
>
>I personally admire him for speaking his mind and not politically
>correct crap. This is a new thing.
>
>Don't worry too much though. He won't be King of America. Congress
>will keep him on a short leash. I'll bet you now that he wins big in
>November and he will also easily win a 2nd term in 2020.

the thing is, Gary. Every time he speaks his mind it is different
than the last time he spoke. The fact that he speaks and thinks like
Sheldon is what is entertaining and attractive to people -- like a
game show.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 May 2016 05:54:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.

What do you do when you're out and about - decide to shop and your
list is at home?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 May 2016 06:20:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> It was a little inconvenient when I left my list at
> work yesterday, but I rallied and forgot only two of the 14 things
> that were on the list. They were two of the three least important
> things, too, so they can wait until next week. If I'd forgotten
> it at home, I could have called my husband and he would have sent
> me a photo of it from his phone to mine. I still prefer paper.

I have 17 different lists. Keep that in your head.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 9:27:48 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Sharon wrote:

> > > If that's the case, it will cost you a fortune just to build the walls
> > > he wants between the USA and Mexico and the USA and Canada. So look
> > > for a tax hike.
> > >

> > IMHO He's no breath of fresh air. He's a dangerous windbag.....Sharon
> > in Canada

> So says another foreigner.

You don't like furinners Gary? Are you an escapee from the Ozarks perhaps? Sharon is RIGHT...Trump is dangerous and a windbag. Why would any intelligent American want that jerk for President? The Republican Party is at fault for even contemplating that he could lead the nation responsibly and with competence. They will rue the day they chose him.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 2:01:27 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > "dsi1" wrote:
> > > Well, so is Wales. I haven't been to Scotland but I'm guessing it's
> > > awesome over there too.

> > It is indeed

> Hi Oph!
> Did Donald Trump (our next president, like it or not)
> end up getting his golf course in Scotland? Just wondering.

My son said he saw a video where a guy in Syria (?) was being interviewed. His house was on fire behind him and the reporter wanted to talk about what happened. The guy ignored his questions and asked the reporter about Trump being president. "This worries me" he says, as his house is burning down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 12:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016 06:20:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> It was a little inconvenient when I left my list at
>> work yesterday, but I rallied and forgot only two of the 14 things
>> that were on the list. They were two of the three least important
>> things, too, so they can wait until next week. If I'd forgotten
>> it at home, I could have called my husband and he would have sent
>> me a photo of it from his phone to mine. I still prefer paper.
>>

> I have 17 different lists. Keep that in your head.

Seventeen lists?! Yikes, are you shopping for all of San Francisco?!
No wonder you need an app for that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2016 12:20 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016 05:54:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.
>>

> What do you do when you're out and about - decide to shop and your
> list is at home?

I can't speak for Nancy2 or anyone else. I, for one, never have such a
huge shopping list that it matters if I accidentally leave the list at
home. I usually know the main items I was going to the store for
anyway. As for the paper list, I keep it next to my purse so it's
natural to take it with me. Just as I wouldn't leave my wallet at home,
the paper list is with my purse.

You just posted you've got *seventeen* shopping lists. That's something
I cannot begin to fathom.

All I really did when nb announced he let his cell phone contract lapse
was tell him it still works for dialing 911. I did NOT intend for this
to become an 'Us' vs. 'Them' debate. Truly!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 May 2016 11:21:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>>
>> One needs "an excuse" to drink beer? Who knew!

>Every day is a celebration of 'something'.
>Drink beer and prosper, that's my theory.

Somewhere in the world (at any time) the sun is below the yard arm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 May 2016 09:20:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 6 May 2016 05:54:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>> Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.
>>

>What do you do when you're out and about - decide to shop and your
>list is at home?

On the odd occasion it has happened, why I use my memory cells inside
my head! Cell phone freaks are going to lose their brain cells
because they don't use them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 9:48:13 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Foreigners seem to really hope he doesn't win.
> > > That right there tells me that he might be the best choice.

> > Think of it more like some extended family members dreading a marriage
> > to a drunken fool.

> Extended family members better get used to the idea. And if he is a
> drunken fool then he should keep on drinking....it made him a
> billionaire and also a front runner in the presidential election.
>
> I personally admire him for speaking his mind and not politically
> correct crap. This is a new thing.
>
> Don't worry too much though. He won't be King of America. Congress
> will keep him on a short leash. I'll bet you now that he wins big in
> November and he will also easily win a 2nd term in 2020.

So, he's going to win in November, Congress won't let him do most
of the things that he promised, and you call this different from
business as usual? And worthy of a second term?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 12:20:12 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016 05:54:47 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
> > Grocery lists? I use this new-tangled thing called a pen and paper.
> >

> What do you do when you're out and about - decide to shop and your
> list is at home?

I can't speak for Nancy, but I shop every Thursday after work. There's
no "out and about and decide to shop". If I need something between times,
it's either small enough to remember without a list, or I make a list on
whatever scrap paper is handy when I realize I need additional items.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 12:25:57 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016 06:20:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > It was a little inconvenient when I left my list at
> > work yesterday, but I rallied and forgot only two of the 14 things
> > that were on the list. They were two of the three least important
> > things, too, so they can wait until next week. If I'd forgotten
> > it at home, I could have called my husband and he would have sent
> > me a photo of it from his phone to mine. I still prefer paper.
> >

> I have 17 different lists. Keep that in your head.

I do 95% of my grocery shopping at a single store every Thursday
after work. One list is sufficient. If I want to get something
exotic at another store, I can remember a few items. I hate
shopping; I never shop on the spur of the moment or without
planning ahead.

Cindy Hamilton