Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/4/2016 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2016 17:43:28 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic
>>> service. Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

>> Not talking VOIP. Thats 30$ a month here (some others are cheaper).

> I don't understand why people pay for VOIP when Google Voice is free.

Or Skype.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 5:31 AM, wrote:
>> (Lucky I'm still sane after all I've
>> >been through)
>> >
>> >-sw

> Was a comment meant for sf

Does your jealousy define you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 7:53 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>> Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig

>> about people who use cell phones for a change.

> You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.

Impossible, that was a response, NOT an initiation.

Try again when your logic module is fixed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 8:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
>> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
>> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
>> on food. win-win situation.

> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
>
> Jill

For someone who dishes out bullying you sure don't take much criticism
at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 9:34 AM, Janet B wrote:

>>> about people who use cell phones for a change.

>> You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.
>>
>> I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
>> your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
>> me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
>> the fullest. Hey, why not?
>>
>> Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
>> that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
>> to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
>> Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.
>>
>> I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.
>>
>> G.

> I don't know, sf responded 'no wonder you don't like it' when notbob
> said the phone was a cheapo LG discontinued model. That was a fair
> statement. sf was only commenting on the device itself as notbob
> described it.
> But Jill responded "No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a
> telephone." That was a (pointed) comment on cell phone use with a
> smiley face at the end.
> sf responded "Get over it" with a smiley face at the end, and
> describes the uses she finds for her cell phone, and a responding
> pointed comment about Jill's stance on cell phones.
> Everyone here knows that sf loves her cell and all the technology.
> Everyone here knows Jill's opinion of cell phones.
>
> Gary responds "LOL! You've turned into Sheldon. Do you like women's
> breasts too?" and then. . .
> Cheri says "LOL, sort of like my way or the highway. I couldn't even
> put into words what
> her attitude makes her sound like on some subjects, but it ain't
> good."
>
> Does anyone see the lighted match landing on the gasoline?
>
> Janet US

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2016 23:47:11 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> Someone at SyFy comes up with combo words, and then the results are
>> made into movies. Lemme see...Tarantumantis, Kangalion and
>> Elephanthropod should be coming to SyFy soon.
>> I wish they would diversify into flora. How about a Chrysanthemonster
>> along the line of "Day of the Triffids" or "Little Shop of Horrors"?
>> Full disclosu I've seen half or better of all the Sharknados. My
>> wife makes me.

> Tarantumantis, kangalion, and crysanthemonster have already been used
> for something or another (really!). But Google says you have invented
> the Elephanthropod(tm). Hurry up and trademark it.
>
>> [NB:Food] I wonder what a elephanthropod or chrysanthemonster would
>> taste like. Bake, simmer or saute? What would I serve with it? There's
>> a fresh screenplay in here somewhere.

> I suspect elephanthropod (Loxodonta Anthropoda, Blaisdell 2016) would
> be pretty tough and taste vaguely like a gamey crab. You would need
> to pound it and braise for a long time. A Chinese delicacy.
>
> -sw

"doissant" is so much better than "cronut"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> SF, FYI, not everyone who doesn't feel a need for a cell phone is a
> Luddite.

Did I? I called Jill and NB Luddites.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 8:14:12 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I beg to differ. I've written programs whose function I had to test
> > > with a voltmeter.
> > >
> > > Generally, "application" refers to programs that are used by a
> > > person, as opposed to daemons or other programs that are used by the
> > > computer itself.
> > >
> > > Some of my PCs have a hard switch on the back.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Grin, all of my PC's have a hard switch at the back. Has 3 prongs....

> I've got that, too, but some of these PCs have a real toggle switch
> right on the power supply.

When all else fails, unplug it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:40:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
> on food. win-win situation.

Ah, Gary. There you go, inferring what wasn't said. I tell you how I
use mine when you're putting me down for using a smart phone. You
still can't comprehend that it's my only phone. I don't have a
landline and I don't pay for an internet phone.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:40:11 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> > According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
> > grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
> > on food. win-win situation.

> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.

Your impression is based on low self-esteem.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:21:59 -0600, Biz Cochito > wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 8:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> >> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
> >> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
> >> on food. win-win situation.

> > Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
> > app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
> >
> > Jill

> For someone who dishes out bullying you sure don't take much criticism
> at all.

I wasn't criticizing - just dishing it back in a similar fashion. If
she can't take the heat, then she should get out of the kitchen.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 09:21:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 1:48 AM, JBurns wrote:
>

> > In Botswana where the vegetation is not very tall (there are no tall
> > trees) the phone towers are disguised as coconut palms!
> >
> > JB
> >

> There is one in western CT disguised as a pine tree. I don't know which
> is more distracting to the landscape, a tower or a hideous fake tree.

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:08:36 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 11:40 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Not talking VOIP. Thats 30$ a month here (some others are cheaper).

> > I don't understand why people pay for VOIP when Google Voice is free.
> >

> Or Skype.

I hate Skype, probably because I just want voice. I know it's an
option, but people who use Skype expect video.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:32 PM, sf wrote:

>>> He's the Donald Trump of RFC. Just a buffoon.
>>>

>> Oh he's a LOT worse than that - Sqwerty stalks ALL women.

> I would say that's a yes if he's so interested in details that he
> actually goes to Linkedin. What a complete loser!

And the tag team stalking he and JeBus did on you was despicable!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Grin, all of my PC's have a hard switch at the back. Has 3 prongs....

>> I've got that, too, but some of these PCs have a real toggle switch
>> right on the power supply.
>>

> When all else fails, unplug it.

LOL!

Ding!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:40:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
>>> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
>>> on food. win-win situation.

>> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
>> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
>>

> Your impression is based on low self-esteem.

It seems that way, yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:47 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:08:36 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:

>>> I don't understand why people pay for VOIP when Google Voice is free.
>>>

>> Or Skype.

> I hate Skype, probably because I just want voice. I know it's an
> option, but people who use Skype expect video.

That is true enough.

It's a LOT more stable now that it used to be, really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:53:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > > Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig

> > about people who use cell phones for a change.

> You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.

Excuse me? I didn't fire the first shot.

> I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
> your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
> me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
> the fullest. Hey, why not?
>
> Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
> that often.

Stop playing the victim. I don't attack you first.

> I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
> to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
> Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.

You also said that you were not going to use any feature that a
working smartphone would have. If it's crippled back to flip-phone
capabilities, there's absolutely no point in updating. Save your
money. Your only reason to update is so you won't *look* so backward.

> I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.

It goes both way, Gary.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:34:30 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> >> about people who use cell phones for a change.

> >You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.
> >
> >I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
> >your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
> >me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
> >the fullest. Hey, why not?
> >
> >Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
> >that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
> >to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
> >Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.
> >
> >I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.
> >
> >G.

> I don't know, sf responded 'no wonder you don't like it' when notbob
> said the phone was a cheapo LG discontinued model. That was a fair
> statement. sf was only commenting on the device itself as notbob
> described it.
> But Jill responded "No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a
> telephone." That was a (pointed) comment on cell phone use with a
> smiley face at the end.
> sf responded "Get over it" with a smiley face at the end, and
> describes the uses she finds for her cell phone, and a responding
> pointed comment about Jill's stance on cell phones.
> Everyone here knows that sf loves her cell and all the technology.
> Everyone here knows Jill's opinion of cell phones.
>
> Gary responds "LOL! You've turned into Sheldon. Do you like women's
> breasts too?" and then. . .
> Cheri says "LOL, sort of like my way or the highway. I couldn't even
> put into words what
> her attitude makes her sound like on some subjects, but it ain't
> good."
>
> Does anyone see the lighted match landing on the gasoline?
>
> Janet US

Thank you, Janet! Now Cheri has joined the gang bangers, which is out
of character for her... but that's RFC for you.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:18:35 -0600, Biz Cochito > wrote:

> >> about people who use cell phones for a change.

> > You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.

> Impossible, that was a response, NOT an initiation.
>
> Try again when your logic module is fixed.

Their typical response is to play victim when they get it thrown back
at them in kind and they learned it from their hero, Steve Wertz.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:16:33 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > He (sw) and notbob like to pretend they are werld klas engineers and they
> > have the answer to everything. If they do, then why aren't they still
> > working?

> My guess is the same reason you are'nt still working. Retired.

<snicker> Sure, Gary.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:58 PM, sf wrote:

>>> You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.

>> Impossible, that was a response, NOT an initiation.
>>
>> Try again when your logic module is fixed.

> Their typical response is to play victim when they get it thrown back
> at them in kind and they learned it from their hero, Steve Wertz.

That's a concise and accurate analysis, yes.

It was nice of JanetB to spot it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 12:49:36 -0600, Biz Cochito > wrote:

> >> Oh he's a LOT worse than that - Sqwerty stalks ALL women.

> > I would say that's a yes if he's so interested in details that he
> > actually goes to Linkedin. What a complete loser!
> >

> And the tag team stalking he and JeBus did on you was despicable!

That's all they had going in their pathetic little lives. What else
can one addict/drunk and one hermit with personality problems do?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 2:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>

>> SF, FYI, not everyone who doesn't feel a need for a cell phone is a
>> Luddite.
>>

> Did I? I called Jill and NB Luddites.

Ask me if I care.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 2:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:21:59 -0600, Biz Cochito > wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
>>> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> For someone who dishes out bullying you sure don't take much criticism
>> at all.

> I wasn't criticizing - just dishing it back in a similar fashion. If
> she can't take the heat, then she should get out of the kitchen.

Thank you for feeding the troll.

I don't give a shit if you own a smart phone or not. You shouldn't give
it a shit that I don't want one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 2:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:40:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
>> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
>> on food. win-win situation.

> Ah, Gary. There you go, inferring what wasn't said. I tell you how I
> use mine when you're putting me down for using a smart phone.

No one is putting you down. You misinterpret disinterest with a criticism.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 12:51:38 -0600, Cloudbuster > wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 12:47 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Or Skype.

> > I hate Skype, probably because I just want voice. I know it's an
> > option, but people who use Skype expect video.
> >

> That is true enough.
>
> It's a LOT more stable now that it used to be, really.

I've moved on to Hangouts.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 2:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:40:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
>>> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
>>> on food. win-win situation.

>> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
>> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
>>

> Your impression is based on low self-esteem.

WTF are you talking about?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:25:50 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 2:28 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> SF, FYI, not everyone who doesn't feel a need for a cell phone is a
> >> Luddite.
> >>

> > Did I? I called Jill and NB Luddites.
> >

> Ask me if I care.

It's very apparent that you did.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 11:55:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:34:30 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:

>> >You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.
>> >
>> >I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
>> >your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
>> >me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
>> >the fullest. Hey, why not?
>> >
>> >Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
>> >that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
>> >to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
>> >Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.
>> >
>> >I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.
>> >
>> >G.

>> I don't know, sf responded 'no wonder you don't like it' when notbob
>> said the phone was a cheapo LG discontinued model. That was a fair
>> statement. sf was only commenting on the device itself as notbob
>> described it.
>> But Jill responded "No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a
>> telephone." That was a (pointed) comment on cell phone use with a
>> smiley face at the end.
>> sf responded "Get over it" with a smiley face at the end, and
>> describes the uses she finds for her cell phone, and a responding
>> pointed comment about Jill's stance on cell phones.
>> Everyone here knows that sf loves her cell and all the technology.
>> Everyone here knows Jill's opinion of cell phones.
>>
>> Gary responds "LOL! You've turned into Sheldon. Do you like women's
>> breasts too?" and then. . .
>> Cheri says "LOL, sort of like my way or the highway. I couldn't even
>> put into words what
>> her attitude makes her sound like on some subjects, but it ain't
>> good."
>>
>> Does anyone see the lighted match landing on the gasoline?
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>Thank you, Janet! Now Cheri has joined the gang bangers, which is out
>of character for her... but that's RFC for you.

I wasn't looking for a thank you. I took offence at the assumptions
being made about cell phone users. I have one. It has functions
that I use because they are convenient. I don't always have paper and
pencil around and probably will not get to paper and pencil for a
while. I can quickly dictate a note to myself or add something to the
shopping list that chances are I would forget otherwise. Because my
cell is small, I carry it in my pocket. If I'm out for a walk, I can
call someone if I need help of some sort. My cell makes it possible
to listen to music to pass the time when I'm walking (walking is
something I hate, BTW) If I'm driving and need a tow or the police, I
have my cell. I was in a garden center last week and needed to make
some calculations and conversions, my cell provided conversion charts
and a calculator. I'm not saying everyone should/must have a cell
phone. It's damn convenient. I used to travel with a tape measure,
calculator and pocket dictator in my purse, plus my paper shopping
list. So did thousands of people. It's not necessary any longer.
Sure I can take and send pictures with it (how handy is that if you
are involved in a car accident?)
I say if you want to get one just to use for the functions and make no
calls or texts, go for it. It may come in handy. I wouldn't go for a
low, low end model. In my opinion they are not at all user friendly.
I went that route and was sorry I did. I have always used Tracfone so
I don't know how other providers operate. But, Tracfone provides
online user manuals for each phone they sell. You can also get real
people help. In choosing a phone and service provider, I would want
to have help available. The program I use wants me to add some
minimal minutes every once in awhile. I hardly ever use them because
I am generally working off WiFi. My minutes accumulate and carry
over, I never lose them. My annual cost about $8.25/month.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:28:24 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 2:44 PM, sf wrote:

> >> For someone who dishes out bullying you sure don't take much criticism
> >> at all.

> > I wasn't criticizing - just dishing it back in a similar fashion. If
> > she can't take the heat, then she should get out of the kitchen.
> >

> Thank you for feeding the troll.

There you go, playing net nanny - again.

> I don't give a shit if you own a smart phone or not. You shouldn't give
> it a shit that I don't want one.

As far as smart phones go - grow up. I'm not one of your brothers, so
don't play those childish games with me. It's obvious that you are
very thin skinned: don't snipe at me (or smart phone users in general)
and I won't shovel it right back at you in kind.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:31:24 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 2:32 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Oh he's a LOT worse than that - Sqwerty stalks ALL women.

> > I would say that's a yes if he's so interested in details that he
> > actually goes to Linkedin. What a complete loser!
> >

> Keep feeding the trolls. That's what having a cell phone will do for ya.

Net nanny.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:30:25 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 2:42 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:40:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
> >> app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.
> >>

> > Your impression is based on low self-esteem.
> >

> WTF are you talking about?

You, of course.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:29:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/5/2016 2:42 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:40:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >
> >> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
> >> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
> >> on food. win-win situation.

> > Ah, Gary. There you go, inferring what wasn't said. I tell you how I
> > use mine when you're putting me down for using a smart phone.

> No one is putting you down. You misinterpret disinterest with a criticism.

You're saying that cell phone users have them "glued to their ears" is
disinterest? I need to write that one down.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 1:25 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I would say that's a yes if he's so interested in details that he
>>> actually goes to Linkedin. What a complete loser!
>>>

>> And the tag team stalking he and JeBus did on you was despicable!

> That's all they had going in their pathetic little lives. What else
> can one addict/drunk and one hermit with personality problems do?

Your remarkable insight and tolerant acceptance of their obvious
failings is well...remarkable!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 3:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 15:31:24 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I would say that's a yes if he's so interested in details that he
>>> actually goes to Linkedin. What a complete loser!
>>>

>> Keep feeding the trolls. That's what having a cell phone will do for ya.
>>

> Net nanny.

<EBG> Have a Great Day!

Jill