Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mother's Day was [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/17/2016 4:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 8:57:28 AM UTC-10, Orographic wrote:
>> On 5/17/2016 12:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> I used to have a Mazda GLC but I don't talk about that much. It was a
>>> goofy burnt orange - it looked like a pumpkin. I was following a lady in
>>> a RX7 through a yellow light. Everything was going great until she
>>> decided she was gonna bail and brake. What was evident was that a RX7
>>> had better braking than their GLC. I ended up diagonally in the next
>>> lane alongside of her. She was mouthing "I'm sorry" through her window.
>>> I was flabbergasted and shook up but that was a very good lesson in
>>> driving.

>> OMG moment for sure.
>>
>> But that said, it really was a "great little car" and all things being
>> equal would you rather have been in a Hornet?
>>
>> http://nozama.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54...a86d970b-400wi

> Well everything worked and it wasn't all rusted to hell like a lot of the cars I had. It was a solid, dependable, car. It didn't have the upmarket feel and zip of the RX2/3 cars, although it had a most remarkable tartan seat upholstery.
>
> I did have to change the clutch on this big pumpkin. I don't recall how I did it but it was probably really easy since it was rear wheel drive. I wanted my friend to learn how to drive standard since it had a new clutch. I told him it was his big chance since I didn't care if he beat the shit out of the clutch. He was driving a Karman Ghia with a semi-auto which was a shame. Beats the hell out of me why somebody would refuse when such an opportunity just falls on your lap.

I bet that fear of embarrassment was the reason.

Clutch learning has made a mess out of even strong men.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2016 08:26:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Orographic" > wrote in message

>>> Oi what's that?
>>>

>> That's you, here we call ourselves gear heads.

>Ok looked them up Never thought about that but I did love all my cars

I loved most but not all... this was my first love, no other could
compete:
http://i65.tinypic.com/xbz509.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2016 08:26:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> That's you, here we call ourselves gear heads.

>>Ok looked them up Never thought about that but I did love all my cars

> I loved most but not all... this was my first love, no other could
> compete:
> http://i65.tinypic.com/xbz509.jpg

Oooh that is nice)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 4:41:03 AM UTC-10, Orographic wrote:
> On 5/17/2016 4:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> OMG moment for sure.
> >>
> >> But that said, it really was a "great little car" and all things being
> >> equal would you rather have been in a Hornet?
> >>
> >> http://nozama.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54...a86d970b-400wi

> > Well everything worked and it wasn't all rusted to hell like a lot of the cars I had. It was a solid, dependable, car. It didn't have the upmarket feel and zip of the RX2/3 cars, although it had a most remarkable tartan seat upholstery.
> >
> > I did have to change the clutch on this big pumpkin. I don't recall how I did it but it was probably really easy since it was rear wheel drive. I wanted my friend to learn how to drive standard since it had a new clutch. I told him it was his big chance since I didn't care if he beat the shit out of the clutch. He was driving a Karman Ghia with a semi-auto which was a shame. Beats the hell out of me why somebody would refuse when such an opportunity just falls on your lap.
> >

> I bet that fear of embarrassment was the reason.
>
> Clutch learning has made a mess out of even strong men.

With the advent of the electric car, clutches will be a thing of the past. That's fine with me. Replacing a clutch on a car is kind of a drag. Come to think of it, driving will be a thing of the past too. That's great because I like to snooze and that's not a good idea when driving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 11:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2016 08:26:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> That's you, here we call ourselves gear heads.

>> Ok looked them up Never thought about that but I did love all my cars

> I loved most but not all... this was my first love, no other could
> compete:
> http://i65.tinypic.com/xbz509.jpg

A beauty, and still many around for sale at OK prices:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...le/triumph/tr4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 12:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 4:41:03 AM UTC-10, Orographic wrote:

>>> Well everything worked and it wasn't all rusted to hell like a lot of the cars I had. It was a solid, dependable, car. It didn't have the upmarket feel and zip of the RX2/3 cars, although it had a most remarkable tartan seat upholstery.
>>>
>>> I did have to change the clutch on this big pumpkin. I don't recall how I did it but it was probably really easy since it was rear wheel drive. I wanted my friend to learn how to drive standard since it had a new clutch. I told him it was his big chance since I didn't care if he beat the shit out of the clutch. He was driving a Karman Ghia with a semi-auto which was a shame. Beats the hell out of me why somebody would refuse when such an opportunity just falls on your lap.
>>>

>> I bet that fear of embarrassment was the reason.
>>
>> Clutch learning has made a mess out of even strong men.

> With the advent of the electric car, clutches will be a thing of the past. That's fine with me.

Except for heavy trucks where you still have to double clutch.

They seem to have made some strides lately in automatics that will take
the hard work, so maybe that changes too.

https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/T...Transmissions/

> Replacing a clutch on a car is kind of a drag. Come to think of it, driving will be a thing of the past too. That's great because I like to snooze and that's not a good idea when driving.

Yes, that'll get you in the permanent land of nod...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 9:12 AM, Orographic wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 12:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I bet that fear of embarrassment was the reason.
>>>
>>> Clutch learning has made a mess out of even strong men.

>> With the advent of the electric car, clutches will be a thing of the
>> past. That's fine with me.

> Except for heavy trucks where you still have to double clutch.
>
> They seem to have made some strides lately in automatics that will take
> the hard work, so maybe that changes too.
>
> https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/T...Transmissions/

Interesting stuff. Will there be electric trucks hauling loads across
the country? Beats me.

>> Replacing a clutch on a car is kind of a drag. Come to think of it,
>> driving will be a thing of the past too. That's great because I like
>> to snooze and that's not a good idea when driving.

> Yes, that'll get you in the permanent land of nod...

There's a stretch of road on Kalanianaole hwy along Bellows beach that
makes me very sleepy. This is traveling NW on the the highway. I feel
fine going into the area but a mile later, I can barely keep my eyes
open. It's a strange natural phenomenon. The next time I go that way,
I'll have my wife drive so I can take a nap.

My guess is that there are other people out there that have a similar
experience with the roads they travel. My guess is we can induce sleep
in people by getting a handle on what's happening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 5:37:50 PM UTC-4, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 14:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person wrote:
>
> >That V8 was a large part of the problem. Triumph never got it right and it was soon shelved.

> A good idea using that Buick engine, unfortunately it wasn't
> implemented very well and had quite a few limitations. But they do
> have a great exhaust note.
>
> >I'd rather have the tiny Daimler dart with its 2.5 liter V8 and fiberglass body.

> I'll take a Lotus Elan, thanks.

A great car despite some reliability problems. Quite rightly a sort after vehicle and a classic.

However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8 of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was running when idling.

http://www.richardisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 May 2016 13:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 5:37:50 PM UTC-4, Jeus wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2016 14:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person wrote:
>>
>> >That V8 was a large part of the problem. Triumph never got it right and it was soon shelved.

>> A good idea using that Buick engine, unfortunately it wasn't
>> implemented very well and had quite a few limitations. But they do
>> have a great exhaust note.
>>
>> >I'd rather have the tiny Daimler dart with its 2.5 liter V8 and fiberglass body.

>> I'll take a Lotus Elan, thanks.

>A great car despite some reliability problems.

Classic circa 1960's British engineering, so that goes without saying.

>Quite rightly a sort after vehicle and a classic.

Yep. One of those rare cars that comes along that's just right.

>However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8 of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was running when idling.

I don't know much about the Dart, let's see...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250
Nice in a similar way to the Elan, a good power to weight ratio sports
car. I see the Dart had it's fair share of design flaws, particularly
with the rustic chassis allowing the doors to open when on the move
Engine does sound good for it's era.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 May 2016 07:07:02 +1000, Jeus > wrote:

>On Wed, 18 May 2016 13:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>>> A good idea using that Buick engine, unfortunately it wasn't
>>> implemented very well and had quite a few limitations. But they do
>>> have a great exhaust note.

>>> I'll take a Lotus Elan, thanks.

>>A great car despite some reliability problems.

>Classic circa 1960's British engineering, so that goes without saying.
>
>>Quite rightly a sort after vehicle and a classic.

>Yep. One of those rare cars that comes along that's just right.
>
>>However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8 of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was running when idling.

>I don't know much about the Dart, let's see...
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250
>Nice in a similar way to the Elan, a good power to weight ratio sports
>car. I see the Dart had it's fair share of design flaws, particularly
>with the rustic chassis allowing the doors to open when on the move
>Engine does sound good for it's era.

Meant' to add, I love the look of the hardtop:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...1024x768.jp g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 9:12 AM, Orographic wrote:

>>> With the advent of the electric car, clutches will be a thing of the
>>> past. That's fine with me.

>> Except for heavy trucks where you still have to double clutch.
>>
>> They seem to have made some strides lately in automatics that will take
>> the hard work, so maybe that changes too.
>>
>> https://www.freightlinertrucks.com/T...Transmissions/

> Interesting stuff. Will there be electric trucks hauling loads across
> the country? Beats me.

It would be unlikely as weight would eat batteries alive, even the newer
ones.

But battery tech is improving:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2014/10/16...ion-batteries/

Lithium (Li)-ion batteries serve us well, powering our laptops, tablets,
cell phones and a host of other gadgets and devices. However, for future
automotive applications, we will need rechargeable batteries with
significant increases in energy density, reductions in cost and
improvements in safety. Hence the big push in the battery industry to
develop an alternative to the Li-ion technology.

One promising alternative would be a battery based on a multivalent ion,
such as magnesium (Mg). Whereas a Li-ion with a charge of +1 provides
only a single electron for an electrical current, a Mg-ion has a charge
of +2, which means Mg-ions, in principle, can provide twice the
electrical current of Li-ions if present with the same density. Mg-ion
batteries would also be safer and less expensive than Li-ion batteries.
However, the additional charge on a multivalent ion creates other
problems that have hampered the development of Mg-ion batteries. This
situation may soon change thanks to new findings from the U.S.
Department of Energy (DOE)s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(Berkeley Lab) as part of the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research
(JCESR), a DOE Energy Innovation Hub.

David Prendergast and Liwen Wan, scientists working in the Theory of
Nanostructured Materials group at the Molecular Foundry, a DOE
nanoscience research facility hosted by Berkeley Lab, ran a series of
computer simulations that dispelled a long-standing misconception about
Mg-ions in the electrolyte that transports the ions between a batterys
electrodes.

The catch for multivalent ions is that their increased charge draws
more attention to them they become surrounded in the batterys
electrolyte by other oppositely charged ions and solvent molecules
which can slow down their motion and create energetic penalties to
exiting the electrolyte for the electrodes, says Prendergast. However,
we found the problem may be less dire than is widely believed.

>>> Replacing a clutch on a car is kind of a drag. Come to think of it,
>>> driving will be a thing of the past too. That's great because I like
>>> to snooze and that's not a good idea when driving.

>> Yes, that'll get you in the permanent land of nod...
>>

> There's a stretch of road on Kalanianaole hwy along Bellows beach that
> makes me very sleepy. This is traveling NW on the the highway. I feel
> fine going into the area but a mile later, I can barely keep my eyes
> open. It's a strange natural phenomenon. The next time I go that way,
> I'll have my wife drive so I can take a nap.

That sounds to me like an energy vortex.

I suspect that there is some sort of ionic concentration - likely positive?

I've got a rural road I used to drive along the southern border where
the same thing happened, always in one specific stretch - then as I hit
town it lifts.

It's been bad enough that would I crank the music and drop the windows.

> My guess is that there are other people out there that have a similar
> experience with the roads they travel. My guess is we can induce sleep
> in people by getting a handle on what's happening.

I do not doubt it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 11:13 AM, Orographic wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> There's a stretch of road on Kalanianaole hwy along Bellows beach that
>> makes me very sleepy. This is traveling NW on the the highway. I feel
>> fine going into the area but a mile later, I can barely keep my eyes
>> open. It's a strange natural phenomenon. The next time I go that way,
>> I'll have my wife drive so I can take a nap.

> That sounds to me like an energy vortex.
>
> I suspect that there is some sort of ionic concentration - likely positive?
>
> I've got a rural road I used to drive along the southern border where
> the same thing happened, always in one specific stretch - then as I hit
> town it lifts.
>
> It's been bad enough that would I crank the music and drop the windows.
>
>> My guess is that there are other people out there that have a similar
>> experience with the roads they travel. My guess is we can induce sleep
>> in people by getting a handle on what's happening.

> I do not doubt it.

The first thing that needs to be done is a geological survey of the
area. Traveling through some magnetic lines of force would seem to be
reasonable. That induces electrical currents in conductors - maybe it
does the same with the brain. The area is used by the military for
exercises. I don't know if that's a factor. It's a very interesting
thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 3:40 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 11:13 AM, Orographic wrote:
>> On 5/18/2016 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a stretch of road on Kalanianaole hwy along Bellows beach that
>>> makes me very sleepy. This is traveling NW on the the highway. I feel
>>> fine going into the area but a mile later, I can barely keep my eyes
>>> open. It's a strange natural phenomenon. The next time I go that way,
>>> I'll have my wife drive so I can take a nap.

>> That sounds to me like an energy vortex.
>>
>> I suspect that there is some sort of ionic concentration - likely
>> positive?
>>
>> I've got a rural road I used to drive along the southern border where
>> the same thing happened, always in one specific stretch - then as I hit
>> town it lifts.
>>
>> It's been bad enough that would I crank the music and drop the windows.
>>
>>> My guess is that there are other people out there that have a similar
>>> experience with the roads they travel. My guess is we can induce sleep
>>> in people by getting a handle on what's happening.

>> I do not doubt it.

> The first thing that needs to be done is a geological survey of the
> area. Traveling through some magnetic lines of force would seem to be
> reasonable. That induces electrical currents in conductors - maybe it
> does the same with the brain. The area is used by the military for
> exercises. I don't know if that's a factor. It's a very interesting
> thing.

The potential for military subsonic transmissions is indeed plausible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 2:47 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8 of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was running when idling.
>
> http://www.richardisher.com

Here's a really nice look at it, canted dual SU carbs and all:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...Dart-18027.jpg

That's some very attractive tooling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 12:00 PM, Orographic wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 2:47 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8
>> of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was
>> running when idling.
>>
>> http://www.richardisher.com

> Here's a really nice look at it, canted dual SU carbs and all:
>
> http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...Dart-18027.jpg
>
> That's some very attractive tooling.

That's very pretty. They polished the pots on the SUs. Hee hee. It looks
like a very small Hemi. Wonderful!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-18, Jeus > wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250

> .....a good power to weight ratio sports car.

At the very least!

I recall my late mom dating a guy who owned one. He finally gave me a
ride, one evening, down a long 2-lane stretch. When we hit 110 mph,
he looked over at me, smiled, and told me he still had a another gear,
to go. I looked over. Yep, he was in third! Being jes a kid, I was
duly impressed.

Many years later, when I ended up commuting that same stretch, it was
so crowded, no car ever saw the high side of 50mph, day or night.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 4:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 12:00 PM, Orographic wrote:
>> On 5/18/2016 2:47 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>>> However, the engine in the Daimler Dart is arguably the best small V8
>>> of it's era. So smooth it was almost impossible to tell if it was
>>> running when idling.
>>>
>>> http://www.richardisher.com

>> Here's a really nice look at it, canted dual SU carbs and all:
>>
>> http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...Dart-18027.jpg
>>

>> That's some very attractive tooling.

> That's very pretty. They polished the pots on the SUs. Hee hee. It looks
> like a very small Hemi. Wonderful!

Yeah I totally dig the polished look and those braided plug wires are so
period.

They only made about 2400 of these darts so I imagine collectability
will only grow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 4:58 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-18, Jeus > wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250

>> .....a good power to weight ratio sports car.

> At the very least!
>
> I recall my late mom dating a guy who owned one. He finally gave me a
> ride, one evening, down a long 2-lane stretch. When we hit 110 mph,
> he looked over at me, smiled, and told me he still had a another gear,
> to go. I looked over. Yep, he was in third! Being jes a kid, I was
> duly impressed.

110 in that skateboard had to feel like Mach 1!

> Many years later, when I ended up commuting that same stretch, it was
> so crowded, no car ever saw the high side of 50mph, day or night.
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 11:13:20 AM UTC-10, Orographic wrote:
> On 5/18/2016 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Interesting stuff. Will there be electric trucks hauling loads across
> > the country? Beats me.

> It would be unlikely as weight would eat batteries alive, even the newer
> ones.
>
> But battery tech is improving:
>
> http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2014/10/16...ion-batteries/
>
> Lithium (Li)-ion batteries serve us well, powering our laptops, tablets,
> cell phones and a host of other gadgets and devices. However, for future
> automotive applications, we will need rechargeable batteries with
> significant increases in energy density, reductions in cost and
> improvements in safety. Hence the big push in the battery industry to
> develop an alternative to the Li-ion technology.
>
> One promising alternative would be a battery based on a multivalent ion,
> such as magnesium (Mg). Whereas a Li-ion with a charge of +1 provides
> only a single electron for an electrical current, a Mg-ion has a charge
> of +2, which means Mg-ions, in principle, can provide twice the
> electrical current of Li-ions if present with the same density. Mg-ion
> batteries would also be safer and less expensive than Li-ion batteries.
> However, the additional charge on a multivalent ion creates other
> problems that have hampered the development of Mg-ion batteries. This
> situation may soon change thanks to new findings from the U.S.
> Department of Energy (DOE)s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
> (Berkeley Lab) as part of the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research
> (JCESR), a DOE Energy Innovation Hub.
>
> David Prendergast and Liwen Wan, scientists working in the Theory of
> Nanostructured Materials group at the Molecular Foundry, a DOE
> nanoscience research facility hosted by Berkeley Lab, ran a series of
> computer simulations that dispelled a long-standing misconception about
> Mg-ions in the electrolyte that transports the ions between a batterys
> electrodes.
>
> The catch for multivalent ions is that their increased charge draws
> more attention to them they become surrounded in the batterys
> electrolyte by other oppositely charged ions and solvent molecules
> which can slow down their motion and create energetic penalties to
> exiting the electrolyte for the electrodes, says Prendergast. However,
> we found the problem may be less dire than is widely believed.

My guess is that we won't be using electro-chemical batteries in the future.. I'm hoping we'll be using supercapacitors.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-...tors-work.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2016 10:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 11:13:20 AM UTC-10, Orographic wrote:
>> On 5/18/2016 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting stuff. Will there be electric trucks hauling loads across
>>> the country? Beats me.

>> It would be unlikely as weight would eat batteries alive, even the newer
>> ones.
>>
>> But battery tech is improving:
>>
>> http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2014/10/16...ion-batteries/
>>
>> Lithium (Li)-ion batteries serve us well, powering our laptops, tablets,
>> cell phones and a host of other gadgets and devices. However, for future
>> automotive applications, we will need rechargeable batteries with
>> significant increases in energy density, reductions in cost and
>> improvements in safety. Hence the big push in the battery industry to
>> develop an alternative to the Li-ion technology.
>>
>> One promising alternative would be a battery based on a multivalent ion,
>> such as magnesium (Mg). Whereas a Li-ion with a charge of +1 provides
>> only a single electron for an electrical current, a Mg-ion has a charge
>> of +2, which means Mg-ions, in principle, can provide twice the
>> electrical current of Li-ions if present with the same density. Mg-ion
>> batteries would also be safer and less expensive than Li-ion batteries.
>> However, the additional charge on a multivalent ion creates other
>> problems that have hampered the development of Mg-ion batteries. This
>> situation may soon change thanks to new findings from the U.S.
>> Department of Energy (DOE)s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
>> (Berkeley Lab) as part of the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research
>> (JCESR), a DOE Energy Innovation Hub.
>>
>> David Prendergast and Liwen Wan, scientists working in the Theory of
>> Nanostructured Materials group at the Molecular Foundry, a DOE
>> nanoscience research facility hosted by Berkeley Lab, ran a series of
>> computer simulations that dispelled a long-standing misconception about
>> Mg-ions in the electrolyte that transports the ions between a batterys
>> electrodes.
>>
>> The catch for multivalent ions is that their increased charge draws
>> more attention to them they become surrounded in the batterys
>> electrolyte by other oppositely charged ions and solvent molecules
>> which can slow down their motion and create energetic penalties to
>> exiting the electrolyte for the electrodes, says Prendergast. However,
>> we found the problem may be less dire than is widely believed.
>>

> My guess is that we won't be using electro-chemical batteries in the future. I'm hoping we'll be using supercapacitors.
>
> http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-...tors-work.html

Ha!

So it's all about size, and having more plates!

Not bad for a food group riff!

I do agree that the efficiency and bi-directional charging would be very
cool.

I wonder if at some point these in concert with a hybrid flywheel system
might just power semi trucks?

Fascinating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2016 22:58:27 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-05-18, Jeus > wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_SP250

>> .....a good power to weight ratio sports car.

>At the very least!
>
>I recall my late mom dating a guy who owned one. He finally gave me a
>ride, one evening, down a long 2-lane stretch. When we hit 110 mph,
>he looked over at me, smiled, and told me he still had a another gear,
>to go. I looked over. Yep, he was in third! Being jes a kid, I was
>duly impressed.

I'll bet My uncle bought a Ford Falcon GTHO when it was about two
years old and I would have been about 8 years old myself at the time.
He used to do similar, I forget what the top speed was in third gear.

At the time that car was the fastest production sedan in the world and
in recent years some examples have sold for $750000. Just ridiculous
how much they are worth now. He still has it to this day, if it were
mine I'd sell it in a heartbeat for that kind of money. I can think of
plenty of other better, much cheaper cars I would rather have.

>Many years later, when I ended up commuting that same stretch, it was
>so crowded, no car ever saw the high side of 50mph, day or night.

That's progress for you :/