Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:22:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Did it also tell you stop` on I-75, get out of car, strip off all your
>clothes and sing Anchor's Aweigh?
>
>I would never trust any traffic information on Google to be
>up-to-date. Wreck probably happened 2 days ago. But there are
>peer-to-peer apps that can work well for up to date info.
>
>=sw

so, what's your beef with Google? It works fine for me.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 6:10 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Dunno, I checked on it some time back and the rates went way up here.

>> You are talking to a spammer - AGAIN -

> Maybe she should assume that everybody is the Boner troll. She'll get
> it right more often that way.

Wow, that's some weapons grade paranoia there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:18 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 2:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> The tradeoff is less privacy as apps tend to ask for the keys to all
>>> your device's personal settings.
>>>
>>> I guess we just have to trust that Skynet is looking out for our best
>>> interests...
>>>
>>> Of course that didn't really impress Sarah Connor, oh well.
>>>

>> What you say is true. The society that our kids will live in will be a
>> lot different than ours. Mostly, we must resist the script that says we
>> have to view the younger generation with doom and gloom.

> I tend to agree, to a point.
>
> They seem to be capable of great ideation, but also demand more luxuries
> and strokes to produce results.
>
> If they butt their heads against frustration and check out then we stand
> little chance of advancement.
>
> But by any measure they are the most colorblind generation(s) since the
> boomers and that in and of itself will always be a good thing.

I have great hopes for the younger generations. My guess is that they
won't be of a generation tested by the fires of war which is a good
thing but they'll have to prove their bravery and valor in other ways -
or maybe even not at all.

As far as cell phones goes, I certainly need mine. I get all calls to my
office forwarded to me. I was taking a little nappy in my bed when I got
a call from someone wanting to see me. That was 45 minutes ago. Now I'm
at the office. Hurray for cell phones!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/4/2016 11:08 AM, Gary wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> There's no point in you putting down people who aren't tied to a
>>> landline, which is what you do.

>> I've never seen/read Jill "putting down people" that use cell phones.
>> She merely states that she needs the land line for her home and no
>> need to pay for 2 different voice phones. Same with me. Neither of us
>> need to use 500mb of data per month unlike some people here.
>>

> That's pretty much it, Gary. Apparently her nose is still tweaked from
> when I said I prefer to use a paper shopping list rather than a cell phone
> and a shopping app. Hey, your money, your choice. I don't have a need
> for it. And again, why pay two phone bills?
>
> Jill

As if this subject doesn't come up about every six months here, I don't get
why people can't be happy with their own choices and leave others to theirs.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 8:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>
> "OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
> Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
> entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
> baby carrots".
>
> -sw
>
> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>

> "Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>

> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>
> I didn't think Julie was even capable of using the phone.
>
> -sw
>
> You seem to have a problem remembering things. Maybe you should have
> written down the once you realized you liked it.
>
> -sw
>
> Wow. She catches on quick when her mind isn't clouded by irrational
> spite.
>
> -sw
>
> Congratulations! Your post has been approved by Julie.
>
> [High Five]
>
> -sw
>
> Yeah, I see tuna and cheddar on pizza every time I visit Planet Bove.
>
> -sw
>
> You can't rent this stuff at Red Box.
>
> -sw
>
> You tell him Julie!
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/4/2016 2:03 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:45:39 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Sharknado? I refuse to look that one up! I think I'll stick with
>>> Turner Classic Movies, PBS and the occasional show on HGTV and the
>>> History Channel.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Really? Now we're naming which movies and TV channels are worthy?
>> Janet US
>>

> Nope. I simply said I've never hears of or watched "Sharknado". And I
> don't plan to.
>
> Jill

I did, just for the heck of it, got a good laugh out of it. I believe there
was some kind of marathon on Sci-Fi.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:23:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>
>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>
>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>
>> nb

> Hey! I resemble that remark. I watched all of the Sharknado
> movies and I have a cell phone (but no landline). I don't use
> social media, though.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I have a cell phone (10.00 a month with 10 minutes talk also takes pictures)
and a landline, and I watched the Sharknado movies ONCE! I don't use social
media either, but I don't take off on those that do.

Ccheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cloudbuster" > wrote in message
> On 5/4/2016 4:11 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>> snip>

>>> I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
>>> telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
>>> for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
>>> news.

>> Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
>> Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
>> look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
>> communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
>> winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
>> there's always Google Hangouts.
>>
>>> Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
>>> cell phone in some way.
>>> I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
>>> there would be no need for a cell phone.
>>>

>> Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
>> phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
>> clearly implied by their tone.

> You'd almost think some of the old farts here have a real problem with you
> thinking like a young person!
>
> Imagine one small device used to it's fullest, we can't have that!
>
> ;-)

I don't think that's being implied at all, but when people start calling
people old farts, luddites, etc. it clearly shows lack of tolerance and
that's coming from that side, as usual.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:19 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Cloudbuster" > wrote in message
>> On 5/4/2016 4:11 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
>>> Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
>>> look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
>>> communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
>>> winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
>>> there's always Google Hangouts.

>>> Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
>>> phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
>>> clearly implied by their tone.

>> You'd almost think some of the old farts here have a real problem with
>> you thinking like a young person!
>>
>> Imagine one small device used to it's fullest, we can't have that!
>>
>> ;-)

> I don't think that's being implied at all, but when people start calling
> people old farts, luddites, etc. it clearly shows lack of tolerance and
> that's coming from that side, as usual.
>
> Cheri

Technology is compressing itself in all things presently.

It seems to be a largely beneficial trend that may one day see us all
interfacing for routine medical diagnostics using our smart phones.

It's a disruptive but heartening new world in a lot of ways.

We must either think young or become old.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 21:19:01 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I don't think that's being implied at all, but when people start calling
> people old farts, luddites, etc. it clearly shows lack of tolerance and
> that's coming from that side, as usual.

Which means they can dish it out but they can't take it.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 16:33:27 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2016 15:11:55 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >> snip>

> >> I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
> >> telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
> >> for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
> >> news.

> >Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
> >Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
> >look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
> >communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
> >winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
> >there's always Google Hangouts.
> >
> >> Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
> >> cell phone in some way.
> >> I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
> >> there would be no need for a cell phone.
> >>

> >Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
> >phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
> >clearly implied by their tone.

> so, the Spanish Immersion program. Is it a separate school (building
> and classmates?) One of my grandsons was involved in such a program
> when they lived in NM for a while. The other grandson simply had
> classes, It's so important for kids to be multi-lingual these days.
> The one going to China has been studying Chinese for 5 years in his
> current school.

I don't know much about the program other than the teachers are native
speakers and there are no new students after kindergarten. They can
move to another immersion school within the school district, but if
they move away - they're out of the program (even if they move back).

There were two Spanish immersion schools nearby. This one is their
"neighborhood" school. The other one (which is a little closer) is
slightly smaller and I think it has a two way immersion program (with
native Spanish speakers immersed in English). Maybe the immersion
program is set up that way throughout the district, I don't know. If
that's the case, I think the idea is that sections will be combined in
the upper grades, but that's only an educated guess on my part. It's
not based on fact or hearsay.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 19:42:37 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:18:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:

> >> Looked to me most apps are free. I noticed because I was hoping
> >> to find apps for a couple bucks that wouldn't require so many
> >> permissions.
> >>

> > Why not create a throw away gmail account to use? They can have all
> > the permissions they want and won't get anything from you.

> When I install an app, there's no email address involved. I
> don't even have to have any email installed on the device.
> Appreciate the suggestion, but all they want is anything they
> can find on that device.

Personally, I don't care. I like what they can do for me in return.
Love the way you can get that little map of where you've been based on
GPS location and I especially appreciate being able to tell Google to
ring my phone so I can locate the darned thing.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 17:43:28 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >

> > > In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of
> > > that.
> > >

> > Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic
> > service. Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

> Not talking VOIP. Thats 30$ a month here (some others are cheaper).

I don't understand why people pay for VOIP when Google Voice is free.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 20:56:42 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> I've never seen/read Jill "putting down people" that use cell phones.
> >> She merely states that she needs the land line for her home and no
> >> need to pay for 2 different voice phones. Same with me. Neither of us
> >> need to use 500mb of data per month unlike some people here.
> >>

> > That's pretty much it, Gary. Apparently her nose is still tweaked from
> > when I said I prefer to use a paper shopping list rather than a cell phone
> > and a shopping app. Hey, your money, your choice. I don't have a need
> > for it. And again, why pay two phone bills?
> >
> > Jill

> As if this subject doesn't come up about every six months here, I don't get
> why people can't be happy with their own choices and leave others to theirs.
>
> Cheri

Wouldn't that be nice! Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig
about people who use cell phones for a change.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 20:49:44 -0400, William > wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:22:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >Did it also tell you stop` on I-75, get out of car, strip off all your
> >clothes and sing Anchor's Aweigh?
> >
> >I would never trust any traffic information on Google to be
> >up-to-date. Wreck probably happened 2 days ago. But there are
> >peer-to-peer apps that can work well for up to date info.
> >
> >=sw

> so, what's your beef with Google? It works fine for me.

He and notbob like to pretend they are werld klas engineers and they
have the answer to everything. If they do, then why aren't they still
working?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:36:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/4/2016 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
>> purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
>> cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
>> look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
>> helped unless all the various carriers used it.

>What's stopping Dataw from installing a cell phone booster? Would
>be a service to the residents and how much can it cost?
>
>A few years back the fire department wanted to have a cell phone
>tower installed in their parking lot. 300 feet tall or something
>equally ludicrous. (miss you, Lou). It would have been an insane
>eyesore right in the middle of the 'village'.
>
>We went to the town hall meeting to show opposition. One thing
>that came up was People are complaining about the cell signal when
>they're shopping in Acme. It was brought up that all that was needed
>was a cell phone booster in the Acme and it would end all the problems.
>
>The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
>maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
>storm in the supermarket.
>
>nancy

In Botswana where the vegetation is not very tall (there are no tall
trees) the phone towers are disguised as coconut palms!

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 00:04:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:34:09 -0600, Janet B wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Hey! I resemble that remark. I watched all of the Sharknado
>>>movies and I have a cell phone (but no landline). I don't use
>>>social media, though.
>>>
>>>Cindy Hamilton

>> I think I saw an ad for a new Sharknado -- maybe in July?

>July?!?! It only takes them about 4 weeks to make those movies.
>
>July 31st. This might be a good one if it takes them a whole 2 months
>to produce!
>
>-sw

Oh, go watch Forrest Gump!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Nope. I simply said I've never hears of or watched "Sharknado". And I
> don't plan to.

Seriously? Sharks sucked up in a tornado and rained down on humanity
that are eager to bite as their last mortal act before they splat are
uninteresting to you?
Someone at SyFy comes up with combo words, and then the results are
made into movies. Lemme see...Tarantumantis, Kangalion and
Elephanthropod should be coming to SyFy soon.
I wish they would diversify into flora. How about a Chrysanthemonster
along the line of "Day of the Triffids" or "Little Shop of Horrors"?
Full disclosu I've seen half or better of all the Sharknados. My
wife makes me.

[NB:Food] I wonder what a elephanthropod or chrysanthemonster would
taste like. Bake, simmer or saute? What would I serve with it? There's
a fresh screenplay in here somewhere.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 19:29:48 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> don't >> > > > > miss it one bit. I have no more cell phone
>> capability, but I >> > > > > still have the device and it works
>> pretty dang good, w/o the >> > > > > phone part.

>> Corporation, >> > > > he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of
>> people around the >> > > > country refused to use them prefering
>> their oil lamps and >> > > > candles to light their homes at night.
>> There were many who >> > > > refused to pay $600 bucks for one of
>> Henry Ford's Model "T" >> > > > Automobiles when they came out.

>> years. I >> > > haven't missed it.

>> of >> > that.

>> Kremlin?
>> >
>> > Dunno, I checked on it some time back and the rates went way up
>> > here.

>> You are talking to a spammer - AGAIN -

>I will talk to whomever I want, not who you 'ALLOW' me to.

Did you stamp your foot like a little kid? You just don't get it and
make yourself look foolish - Please Don't Feed the Trolls is as old as
usenet itself and for a very good reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> He (sw) and notbob like to pretend they are werld klas engineers and they
> have the answer to everything. If they do, then why aren't they still
> working?

My guess is the same reason you are'nt still working. Retired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Tarantumantis, kangalion, and crysanthemonster have already been used
> for something or another (really!).

Kangalion sounded cool and I googled a few good pics of one this
morning.

Here's a fun webpage to see many "hybrid animals." Nice authentic
looking pics too. This guy is good with photoshopping pics.

Check it out. http://tmikey.com/hybrid-animals/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 1:48 AM, JBurns wrote:

> In Botswana where the vegetation is not very tall (there are no tall
> trees) the phone towers are disguised as coconut palms!
>
> JB

There is one in western CT disguised as a pine tree. I don't know which
is more distracting to the landscape, a tower or a hideous fake tree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SF, FYI, not everyone who doesn't feel a need for a cell phone is a
Luddite.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 8:14:12 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:35:13 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > > And I agree with you to on that cutesy little abbreviation "app".
> > > I've written computer programs, and some call them "applications".
> > > I don't, I call them programs! Everything on your computer or phone
> > > is a program, EVERYTHING!! You never work with the actual hardware
> > > except maybe to plug in to charge or plug in earbuds with cell
> > > phones. You don't even have a hardware on/off switch, that's
> > > software too!

> > I beg to differ. I've written programs whose function I had to test
> > with a voltmeter.
> >
> > Generally, "application" refers to programs that are used by a
> > person, as opposed to daemons or other programs that are used by the
> > computer itself.
> >
> > Some of my PCs have a hard switch on the back.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Grin, all of my PC's have a hard switch at the back. Has 3 prongs....

I've got that, too, but some of these PCs have a real toggle switch
right on the power supply.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:47:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > Make sure you get one that runs at least Android 4.4 so that the
> > > browser is up to date enough to be able to use most websites.

> > <snip the rest of good info>
> > Thanks for that, Steve. I didn't know that and I could have easily
> > wasted my money on a phone that didn't work so good. Sounds to me like
> > I can get a cheap phone, use it for free (but no phone). Sounds like a
> > cheap toy but something fun and even handy to have.

> What's the point of using it as a browser when you already have more
> than one computer? Spend your money on food.

I'd like to get one to play with first and maybe activate it later.
It's not necessary now but could be handy at times.

According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
on food. win-win situation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 May 2016 06:21:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>SF, FYI, not everyone who doesn't feel a need for a cell phone is a
>Luddite.
>
>N.

Correct but I believe it is more she enjoys thinking, note I said,
thinking, she is superior.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> > Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig

> about people who use cell phones for a change.

You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.

I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
the fullest. Hey, why not?

Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.

I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>> > Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig

>> about people who use cell phones for a change.

> You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.
>
> I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
> your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
> me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
> the fullest. Hey, why not?
>
> Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
> that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
> to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
> Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.
>
> I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.
>
> G.

That happens a lot, no matter the subject.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>>
>>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>>
>>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>>
>>> nb

>> Hey! I resemble that remark. I watched all of the Sharknado
>> movies and I have a cell phone (but no landline). I don't use
>> social media, though.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I have a cell phone (10.00 a month with 10 minutes talk also takes
> pictures) and a landline, and I watched the Sharknado movies ONCE! I don't
> use social media either, but I don't take off on those that do.

It is a superiority competition.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> According to your past posts, I need a smart phone so I can make a
> grocery list. Once I get one, I'll make a list and THEN spend my money
> on food. win-win situation.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Anyone who doesn't use a smartphone or an
app for making shopping lists is an idiot. That's the impression I get.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 May 2016 09:53:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> > Maybe notbob, Gary and Jill can stop kvetchig

>> about people who use cell phones for a change.

>You started it all by calling us old fashioned, ludites, etc.
>
>I can tell that you are definitely one that has your phone glued to
>your hand. You write like you can't do a thing without it. Don't get
>me wrong. As someone else said, it's nice that you use your phone to
>the fullest. Hey, why not?
>
>Only problem with me is when you chop people for NOT using one. You do
>that often. I even just mentioned that I plan to buy a starter phone
>to experiment and you write, why bother..just spend the money on food.
>Do you not want me to catch up with you? It's weird.
>
>I try to remain nice to you, but you DO make it hard sometimes.
>
>G.

I don't know, sf responded 'no wonder you don't like it' when notbob
said the phone was a cheapo LG discontinued model. That was a fair
statement. sf was only commenting on the device itself as notbob
described it.
But Jill responded "No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a
telephone." That was a (pointed) comment on cell phone use with a
smiley face at the end.
sf responded "Get over it" with a smiley face at the end, and
describes the uses she finds for her cell phone, and a responding
pointed comment about Jill's stance on cell phones.
Everyone here knows that sf loves her cell and all the technology.
Everyone here knows Jill's opinion of cell phones.

Gary responds "LOL! You've turned into Sheldon. Do you like women's
breasts too?" and then. . .
Cheri says "LOL, sort of like my way or the highway. I couldn't even
put into words what
her attitude makes her sound like on some subjects, but it ain't
good."

Does anyone see the lighted match landing on the gasoline?

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 7:14:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:35:13 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > > And I agree with you to on that cutesy little abbreviation "app".
> > > I've written computer programs, and some call them "applications".
> > > I don't, I call them programs! Everything on your computer or phone
> > > is a program, EVERYTHING!! You never work with the actual hardware
> > > except maybe to plug in to charge or plug in earbuds with cell
> > > phones. You don't even have a hardware on/off switch, that's
> > > software too!

> > I beg to differ. I've written programs whose function I had to test
> > with a voltmeter.
> >
> > Generally, "application" refers to programs that are used by a
> > person, as opposed to daemons or other programs that are used by the
> > computer itself.
> >
> > Some of my PCs have a hard switch on the back.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Grin, all of my PC's have a hard switch at the back. Has 3 prongs....
>
> Seriously though, agreed. Apps (or applications) are used by people
> and daemons are by the computer direct activation. Daemons from my
> training are programs that are triggered by another computer
> program/event.
>
> --

You got it!! Computers can't function when unplugged! Except for that little battery on the motherboard which powers the BIOS chip to tell the computer what to be as it comes back to life after being powered down!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:56 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2016 12:31 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking