Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/4/2016 9:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 3:31 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>>> book to read on vacation/whatever.

>> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>>
>> Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
>> get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
>> requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
>> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
>> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
>> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>>
>> nb
>>

> Revenue generator? Some of the games a better than printing presses at
> the mint for making money.
>
> Never paid for an App. Google maps is free. Only advantage over a
> computer is portability.

Games have always been moneymakers. I've probably spent less than $50 on
apps for my phones/tablets. $1.99 for an app doesn't seem unreasonable.
Free is even better - just watch out for those in-app purchases. I don't
partake in that. I prefer it this way rather than the old days of
games/programs that cost $50 and more. Things are way better these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 2:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 9:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>>>
>>> Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
>>> get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
>>> requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
>>> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
>>> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more
>>> money
>>> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Revenue generator? Some of the games a better than printing presses at
>> the mint for making money.
>>
>> Never paid for an App. Google maps is free. Only advantage over a
>> computer is portability.

> Games have always been moneymakers. I've probably spent less than $50 on
> apps for my phones/tablets. $1.99 for an app doesn't seem unreasonable.
> Free is even better - just watch out for those in-app purchases. I don't
> partake in that. I prefer it this way rather than the old days of
> games/programs that cost $50 and more. Things are way better these days.

The tradeoff is less privacy as apps tend to ask for the keys to all
your device's personal settings.

I guess we just have to trust that Skynet is looking out for our best
interests...

Of course that didn't really impress Sarah Connor, oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:47 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 2:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Revenue generator? Some of the games a better than printing presses at
>>> the mint for making money.
>>>
>>> Never paid for an App. Google maps is free. Only advantage over a
>>> computer is portability.

>> Games have always been moneymakers. I've probably spent less than $50 on
>> apps for my phones/tablets. $1.99 for an app doesn't seem unreasonable.
>> Free is even better - just watch out for those in-app purchases. I don't
>> partake in that. I prefer it this way rather than the old days of
>> games/programs that cost $50 and more. Things are way better these days.

> The tradeoff is less privacy as apps tend to ask for the keys to all
> your device's personal settings.
>
> I guess we just have to trust that Skynet is looking out for our best
> interests...
>
> Of course that didn't really impress Sarah Connor, oh well.

What you say is true. The society that our kids will live in will be a
lot different than ours. Mostly, we must resist the script that says we
have to view the younger generation with doom and gloom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 2:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 10:47 AM, Cloudbuster wrote:

>>> Games have always been moneymakers. I've probably spent less than $50 on
>>> apps for my phones/tablets. $1.99 for an app doesn't seem unreasonable.
>>> Free is even better - just watch out for those in-app purchases. I don't
>>> partake in that. I prefer it this way rather than the old days of
>>> games/programs that cost $50 and more. Things are way better these days.

>> The tradeoff is less privacy as apps tend to ask for the keys to all
>> your device's personal settings.
>>
>> I guess we just have to trust that Skynet is looking out for our best
>> interests...
>>
>> Of course that didn't really impress Sarah Connor, oh well.
>>

> What you say is true. The society that our kids will live in will be a
> lot different than ours. Mostly, we must resist the script that says we
> have to view the younger generation with doom and gloom.

I tend to agree, to a point.

They seem to be capable of great ideation, but also demand more luxuries
and strokes to produce results.

If they butt their heads against frustration and check out then we stand
little chance of advancement.

But by any measure they are the most colorblind generation(s) since the
boomers and that in and of itself will always be a good thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:35:13 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> And I agree with you to on that cutesy little abbreviation "app". I've written computer programs, and some call them "applications". I don't, I call them programs! Everything on your computer or phone is a program, EVERYTHING!! You never work with the actual hardware except maybe to plug in to charge or plug in earbuds with cell phones. You don't even have a hardware on/off switch, that's software too!

I beg to differ. I've written programs whose function I had to test
with a voltmeter.

Generally, "application" refers to programs that are used by a person,
as opposed to daemons or other programs that are used by the computer
itself.

Some of my PCs have a hard switch on the back.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 3:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:19:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2016 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young

>>> A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>> book to read on vacation/whatever.
>>

> Read a book on a phone? Good luck with that.

A tablet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 3:31 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>> book to read on vacation/whatever.

> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".

I just can't get mine to fit in the overhead bins on the plane.

Tbe *******s! Selling products, damn. Heh.

> Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|

People love being connected on the go. Not a big surprise that
lots of people want to tap that market.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
> snip>

> I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
> telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
> for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
> news.

Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
there's always Google Hangouts.

> Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
> cell phone in some way.
> I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
> there would be no need for a cell phone.

Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
clearly implied by their tone.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 May 2016 19:31:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> > book to read on vacation/whatever.

> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>
> Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
> get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
> requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|

If you weren't so hard headed, you'd already know there is no charge
Google maps app.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 6:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On 4 May 2016 19:31:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
>> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
>> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>>

> If you weren't so hard headed, you'd already know there is no charge
> Google maps app.

Looked to me most apps are free. I noticed because I was hoping
to find apps for a couple bucks that wouldn't require so many
permissions.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 14:10:17 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On 4 May 2016 19:31:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
> >
> >> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> >> book to read on vacation/whatever.

> >My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
> >
> >Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
> >get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
> >requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
> >generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> >It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> >on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
> >
> >nb

> I think you should look around more. I haven't spent a penny on any
> app.

It sounds like he thinks apps are limited to games. That's how long
he has been away from technology. The world matured and moved on
while he sat on a mountain top.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 May 2016 20:23:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2016-05-04, Janet B > wrote:
>
> > On 4 May 2016 19:42:02 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >>They've already done 3 Sharknado's. I've seen not a one....

> >>Why am I not surprised?

> > If you watch, you already know the next one is 4.

> Duh! If you know how to read, you already know I have not seen the
> first three(3) movies.
>
> > If not, I didn't need to explain.

> No one asked you to explain, anything. It was a rhetorical question.

Do you have a point to make or are you pointlessly wasting bandwidth
again?

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:18:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 6:14 PM, sf wrote:
> > On 4 May 2016 19:31:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> >> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> >> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
> >>

> > If you weren't so hard headed, you'd already know there is no charge
> > for the Google maps app.

> Looked to me most apps are free. I noticed because I was hoping
> to find apps for a couple bucks that wouldn't require so many
> permissions.

Why not create a throw away gmail account to use? They can have all
the permissions they want and won't get anything from you.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 4:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>> snip>

>> I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
>> telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
>> for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
>> news.

> Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
> Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
> look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
> communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
> winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
> there's always Google Hangouts.
>
>> Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
>> cell phone in some way.
>> I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
>> there would be no need for a cell phone.
>>

> Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
> phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
> clearly implied by their tone.

You'd almost think some of the old farts here have a real problem with
you thinking like a young person!

Imagine one small device used to it's fullest, we can't have that!

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 15:11:55 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>> snip>

>> I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
>> telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
>> for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
>> news.

>Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
>Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
>look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
>communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
>winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say more,
>there's always Google Hangouts.
>
>> Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
>> cell phone in some way.
>> I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
>> there would be no need for a cell phone.
>>

>Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
>phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's being
>clearly implied by their tone.

so, the Spanish Immersion program. Is it a separate school (building
and classmates?) One of my grandsons was involved in such a program
when they lived in NM for a while. The other grandson simply had
classes, It's so important for kids to be multi-lingual these days.
The one going to China has been studying Chinese for 5 years in his
current school.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 4:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:18:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>>> If you weren't so hard headed, you'd already know there is no charge
>>> for the Google maps app.

>> Looked to me most apps are free. I noticed because I was hoping
>> to find apps for a couple bucks that wouldn't require so many
>> permissions.
>>

> Why not create a throw away gmail account to use? They can have all
> the permissions they want and won't get anything from you.

Bingo!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cloudbuster wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/3/2016 5:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> > > haven't missed it.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of
> > that.
> >

> What kind of landline costs that much, the red phone to the Kremlin?

Dunno, I checked on it some time back and the rates went way up here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> > > haven't missed it.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of
> > that.
> >

> Not that it matters to anyone else but I have to have a land line for
> the required security system. I didn't see any point in having the
> extra expense of a cell phone bill, too. I do not like talking on
> the phone.
>
> Jill

Makes perfect sense to me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
>

> > In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of
> > that.
> >

> Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic
> service. Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

Not talking VOIP. Thats 30$ a month here (some others are cheaper).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:04:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >

> >> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of

> that.
> >
> > Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic
> > service. Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

> I looked at the broadband prices in her area (actually Gary's area),
> and the prices on that are really high (for slow speeds) compared to
> other locales. So it wouldn't surprise me that landline phone is
> high, too. But not $140 - that would be unheard of. AT&T says it's
> 32.99/mo (+ fees - about $40 total) for unlimited local + long
> distance in Virgina.
>
> Which was what my landline was before I switched to VOIP - now it's
> $20/month. Plus another $35 for 16Gbit Internet - so about $55 for
> both phone and Internet.
>
> -sw

Actually I just looked again. Looks like we are down now (might be
install was 140 which stuck in my mind but I know the monthly was way
over cell cost then). It was really high when I came back from Japan.
Either way, a cell can be cheaper here and since I need that for work
reasons, no point in having both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > I looked at the broadband prices in her area (actually Gary's area),
> > and the prices on that are really high (for slow speeds) compared to
> > other locales. So it wouldn't surprise me that landline phone is
> > high, too. But not $140 - that would be unheard of. AT&T says it's
> > 32.99/mo (+ fees - about $40 total) for unlimited local + long
> > distance in Virgina.

> For landline here you use Verizon which I have had forever. Montly
> cost is just under $35 per month total. It's for unlimited local calls
> only (within the area code). Long distance is sold by other companies.
>
> I have no idea what cshenk was getting to cost her $140 per month.
> Maybe she was using their dsl for phone and internet but still that
> should be WAY less than $140.

LOL, dunno, obviously I didnt have the right amount there. I think I
mixed in the install fee for back in 2007 when we got back from Japan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:12:46 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:33:17 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> Exactly!! The landline telephone service is perhaps THE most reliable electronic communications technology ever implemented!! Can't say that about ANY cell phone service! ANY!! I can count the number of times my land line telephone service had been out in 50 years of use on ONE FINGER!! Exactly ONCE!! Phone company was doing some work on the phone lines outside.

>You're lucky. Before I dumped my landline, I was losing service
>every other thunderstorm.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

When I was outside town my cell phone, true an original big Motorola,
just could not pick up a signal at my house. Further up the road,
yes, but at home, no. I gather the little road there is still out of
touch with any connection, so land line was IT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 5:15 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>
> "OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
> Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
> entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
> baby carrots".
>
> -sw
>
> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>

> "Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
> heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."
>
> -sw
>

> "Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."
>
> -sw
>
> I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
> that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
> off-topic subjects.
>
> -sw
>
> Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.
>
> -sw
>
> I didn't think Julie was even capable of using the phone.
>
> -sw
>
> You seem to have a problem remembering things. Maybe you should have
> written down the once you realized you liked it.
>
> -sw
>
> Wow. She catches on quick when her mind isn't clouded by irrational
> spite.
>
> -sw
>
> Congratulations! Your post has been approved by Julie.
>
> [High Five]
>
> -sw
>
> Yeah, I see tuna and cheddar on pizza every time I visit Planet Bove.
>
> -sw
>
> You can't rent this stuff at Red Box.
>
> -sw
>
> You tell him Julie!
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 5:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 5:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
>
> <snort>
>
> -sw
>
> That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
> couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
> how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
> explain why the proposed solution won't work.
>
> Same 'ol song and dance.
>
> -sw
>
> <snip rest unread>
>
> -sw
>
> So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
> years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
> have been your direct experience with the New York public school
> system in the early 2000's?
>
> -sw
>
> What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
> amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 15:20:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:39:05 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> My DD called yesterday to tell me that my GD
>> had gotten into the Spanish emersion program and after school daycare
>> programs they'd applied for at their neighborhood school.

>Kinda ironic that a lifelong first-grade teacher and "Educational
>Consultant" doesn't know how to spell "immersion", especially when
>used in the name of a program for kids in the first grade. Duh.

Kinda ironic you're so judgemental ! Oh, I forgot, never mind, your
spamming lover boy will ride in on his horse to protect you.

>I hope she doesn't charge much for her "Educational Consultations".
>
>ObFood: Beef, shrimp, and scallop chow fun for a late lunch/early
>dinner.
>
>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:18 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/4/2016 3:15 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:19:40 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>>> book to read on vacation/whatever.
>>>

>> Read a book on a phone? Good luck with that.

>A tablet.
>
>nancy

I use a Kobo and would never go back to paper books. When I was away
last week, I had forty some books with me to choose from, life is good

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:18:54 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> Looked to me most apps are free. I noticed because I was hoping
>> to find apps for a couple bucks that wouldn't require so many
>> permissions.
>>

> Why not create a throw away gmail account to use? They can have all
> the permissions they want and won't get anything from you.

When I install an app, there's no email address involved. I
don't even have to have any email installed on the device.
Appreciate the suggestion, but all they want is anything they
can find on that device.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 17:40:28 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cloudbuster wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of
>> > that.
>> >

>> What kind of landline costs that much, the red phone to the Kremlin?

>Dunno, I checked on it some time back and the rates went way up here.

You are talking to a spammer - AGAIN -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 18:22:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 May 2016 10:44:37 -0400, William wrote:
>
>> you don't understand what you are depriving yourself of Jill. I
>> recently traveled to my daughters house in south Florida. I turned on
>> an App called "Google Maps" to guide me on my journey. Along the way,
>> the person on Google Maps giving me directions suddenly came on and
>> said there was a wreck blocking the road ten miles ahead and I should
>> take the next exit to detour around the wreck and backed up traffic!

>Did it also tell you stop` on I-75, get out of car, strip off all your
>clothes and sing Anchor's Aweigh?
>
>I would never trust any traffic information on Google to be
>up-to-date. Wreck probably happened 2 days ago. But there are
>peer-to-peer apps that can work well for up to date info.
>
>=sw

Too true - if I google the street where I live it is clear it was done
by them maybe six, seven years ago, based on knowing the street well.
Also on a nearby street, there was a man washing his car in his
driveway, he clearly noticed the google car and gave it the bird, it's
still there, you would have thought they would have removed that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 3:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:19:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>> book to read on vacation/whatever.
>>

> Read a book on a phone? Good luck with that.

Reading books on my first smartphone gave me eyestrain, but my current
phones (a Nexus 5 and Amazon Fire) aren't a problem at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 4:35:13 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > And I agree with you to on that cutesy little abbreviation "app".
> > I've written computer programs, and some call them "applications".
> > I don't, I call them programs! Everything on your computer or phone
> > is a program, EVERYTHING!! You never work with the actual hardware
> > except maybe to plug in to charge or plug in earbuds with cell
> > phones. You don't even have a hardware on/off switch, that's
> > software too!

> I beg to differ. I've written programs whose function I had to test
> with a voltmeter.
>
> Generally, "application" refers to programs that are used by a
> person, as opposed to daemons or other programs that are used by the
> computer itself.
>
> Some of my PCs have a hard switch on the back.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Grin, all of my PC's have a hard switch at the back. Has 3 prongs....

Seriously though, agreed. Apps (or applications) are used by people
and daemons are by the computer direct activation. Daemons from my
training are programs that are triggered by another computer
program/event.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cloudbuster wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/4/2016 4:11 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 May 2016 13:22:17 -0600, Janet B >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
> > > snip>

> > > I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my
> > > grandson telling me he was going to China this summer break.
> > > Could it wait for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was
> > > pretty exciting news.

> > Congratulations to your GS! I like texting for that very reason.
> > Nobody is bothered with a phone call, but it's right there when you
> > look at your phone. I don't read email, so texting is the way I
> > communicate with my children & now grandchildren. Nothing long
> > winded, just a picture and a sentence or two. If I want to say
> > more, there's always Google Hangouts.
> >
> > > Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
> > > cell phone in some way.
> > > I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling
> > > that there would be no need for a cell phone.
> > >

> > Agree, but there's also no reason to pretend that those who use cell
> > phones exclusively have some sort of a problem - which is what's
> > being clearly implied by their tone.

> You'd almost think some of the old farts here have a real problem
> with you thinking like a young person!
>
> Imagine one small device used to it's fullest, we can't have that!
>
> ;-)

LOL, I have a specialized one that can handle excel files in
attachments for work. Does word too. Havent tried PPT but does PDF
with no problem.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 04 May 2016 17:40:28 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Cloudbuster wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> don't >> > > > > miss it one bit. I have no more cell phone
> capability, but I >> > > > > still have the device and it works
> pretty dang good, w/o the >> > > > > phone part.

> Corporation, >> > > > he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of
> people around the >> > > > country refused to use them prefering
> their oil lamps and >> > > > candles to light their homes at night.
> There were many who >> > > > refused to pay $600 bucks for one of
> Henry Ford's Model "T" >> > > > Automobiles when they came out.

> years. I >> > > haven't missed it.

> of >> > that.
> >> >

> >> What kind of landline costs that much, the red phone to the

> Kremlin?
> >
> > Dunno, I checked on it some time back and the rates went way up
> > here.

> You are talking to a spammer - AGAIN -

I will talk to whomever I want, not who you 'ALLOW' me to.