Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/4/2016 11:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 11:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
>> seem to be attached to any carrier.

> The ones I was talking about were for residential use.

They make commercial models. From what I can tell, various companies
agree to its use for their network.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 9:38 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Hey, was that you calling the other day? (kidding!) The caller ID said
>>> VOIP Call. I don't know anyone who actually uses VOIP. Needless to say
>>> I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message so I guess they didn't
>>> really want to talk to me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh wow, Sqwerty went meat space stalker on you!

> Bullshit. Steve has never stalked me you nymshifting asshole.
>
> Jill

Sure he has, you just admitted it too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 12:03 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 11:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/4/2016 11:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
>>> seem to be attached to any carrier.

>> The ones I was talking about were for residential use.

> They make commercial models. From what I can tell, various companies
> agree to its use for their network.
>
> nancy

No one wanted that big tower to be their view. And while various
companies might be able to provide commercial boosters, there was no
mention of that by Dataw management.

There was a proposal last year to DNA test dog feces in an attempt to
identify and arrest people who don't scoop up after their dogs. These
people are nuts.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:23:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>
> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>
> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>
> nb

Hey! I resemble that remark. I watched all of the Sharknado
movies and I have a cell phone (but no landline). I don't use
social media, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:01:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > > No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a telephone.

> > Get over it.
> >
> > Have you ever considered that people can have a cell phone as their
> > only voice option and still function as if they don't own one? I use
> > on average, 500 Mb or less of data per month...

> LOL! And you think you could function without that? This is good
> reading.

WTF are you trying to say?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:45:39 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/4/2016 11:23 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>
>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>
>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>
>> nb
>>

>Sharknado? I refuse to look that one up! I think I'll stick with
>Turner Classic Movies, PBS and the occasional show on HGTV and the
>History Channel.
>
>Jill

Really? Now we're naming which movies and TV channels are worthy?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
> >> the tablet, not the point.

> > They need permission access to your photos if you intend to post
> > photos.

> To the library? No, I'm not. And they could get permission for
> that then. They also don't need my contacts, etc etc.
>
> No doubt they got their app for free from someone hoping to
> gather data as payment.

A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:00:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 10:42 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:36:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:

> >> The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
> >> maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
> >> storm in the supermarket.
> >>

> > That was a simple fix. Didn't even know there were boosters for
> > cellphone signals... is it for just one carrier or all of them?

> If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
> seem to be attached to any carrier.

You're talking about personal cell phone boosters and not a whole
store booster?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 12:03:46 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 11:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/4/2016 11:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
> >> seem to be attached to any carrier.

> > The ones I was talking about were for residential use.

> They make commercial models. From what I can tell, various companies
> agree to its use for their network.

It might explain how my closest Trader Joe's improved their cellphone
reception. It's located in the basement of a building and they had
virtually signal the first couple of years they were at that location.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> No doubt they got their app for free from someone hoping to
>> gather data as payment.
>>

> A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
book to read on vacation/whatever.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 10:54:33 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Another one who thinks anyone who doesn't agree with their dictates is
>wrong. Funny how it's the anti-cell phone Luddites who are the
>loudest here and then get upset when they are reminded that times have
>changed.

Or perhaps you are another one who thinks they are superior because
you have a cell phone - I have one too, a smart phone, and it stays in
my purse 99% of the time and I'm no luddite but I don't choose to run
my life by cell phone, get over it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 May 2016 15:23:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>
> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>
> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|

Unlike certain people who complain like crazy about something and
continually put it down on rfc and then act like it's the second
coming after they get one.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 12:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:38:31 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Oh wow, Sqwerty went meat space stalker on you!

>> Bullshit. Steve has never stalked me you nymshifting asshole.

> Everyone can safely add " to their killfiles.

Or not, LOLLOL!

> The Boner has to change one letter of the email address to forge me
> and a couple others through Eternal-September servers.

No one "has to" do anything, fatty.

> Of course now he'll just change a different letter, but you can easily
> killfile the new one, too.

Just getting totally chuffed to see you SQUIRM, worm...

> And I'm assuming most everybody already has all posts from Albasani,
> AIOE, and Netfront posts killfiled in their entirety as nobody except
> The Boner posts through those servers.

But there are so MANY servers, eh?

> Doing this you will have a
> virtually Boner-free RFC experience.

Knowing you're sweating little misogynistic stalker beads is reward in
itself!

> ObFood: Where are we all going for Mothers Day brunch/lunch/dinner?
> I'm taking a friend and widowed mother out for dim sum.

Well aren't you the most thoughtful little stalker ever!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 12:57 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> There was a proposal last year to DNA test dog feces in an attempt to
>> identify and arrest people who don't scoop up after their dogs. These
>> people are nuts.

> Yeah, don't get cheapo security camera, get DNA testing. People.
>
> nancy

That was completely ridiculous. Oh dear, we need to have patrols to
pick up and send off dog poop. Does it really matter which dog is
pooping in my yard? You simply politely ask the dog owner to not let it
use the yard as a toilet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 12:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On 4 May 2016 15:23:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>
>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>
>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>

> Unlike certain people who complain like crazy about something and
> continually put it down on rfc and then act like it's the second
> coming after they get one.

LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 2:03 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:45:39 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>>
>>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>>
>>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Sharknado? I refuse to look that one up! I think I'll stick with
>> Turner Classic Movies, PBS and the occasional show on HGTV and the
>> History Channel.
>>
>> Jill

> Really? Now we're naming which movies and TV channels are worthy?
> Janet US

Nope. I simply said I've never hears of or watched "Sharknado". And I
don't plan to.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:19:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:

> >> No doubt they got their app for free from someone hoping to
> >> gather data as payment.
> >>

> > A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> book to read on vacation/whatever.

Read a book on a phone? Good luck with that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, William > wrote:

> Don't you really NEED a Smartphone in your life?

Since I don't live in S. Florida, no, I don't.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 11:11:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
snip>

>> > My DD called yesterday to tell me that my GD
>> > had gotten into the Spanish emersion program and after school daycare
>> > programs they'd applied for at their neighborhood school. The call
>> > lasted maybe 3 minutes and it was the first time I'd used voice since
>> > the 30th, when I spoke on the phone twice for a total of 7 minutes.

I got a text at 5 a.m. this morning (time difference) -- my grandson
telling me he was going to China this summer break. Could it wait
for email or land line? Sure. I thought that was pretty exciting
news.
Most all communication for me and my family is conducted using the
cell phone in some way.
I can see if you don't have family and no one does any traveling that
there would be no need for a cell phone.

snip
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 12:03:21 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:45:39 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
> >>
> >> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
> >> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
> >> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
> >>
> >> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
> >>
> >> nb
> >>

> >Sharknado? I refuse to look that one up! I think I'll stick with
> >Turner Classic Movies, PBS and the occasional show on HGTV and the
> >History Channel.
> >
> >Jill

> Really? Now we're naming which movies and TV channels are worthy?
> Janet US

Apparently.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:19:40 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/4/2016 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:52:48 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> No doubt they got their app for free from someone hoping to
>>> gather data as payment.
>>>

>> A library app is beyond weird. Use your computer.

>Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>book to read on vacation/whatever.
>
>nancy

Have you tried Book Bub?
https://www.bookbub.com/home/
Download books, many, many for free.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> book to read on vacation/whatever.

My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".

Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 10:21:43 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> >> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 11:23:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

>> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>>
>> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
>> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
>> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>>
>> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>>
>> nb

>Hey! I resemble that remark. I watched all of the Sharknado
>movies and I have a cell phone (but no landline). I don't use
>social media, though.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I think I saw an ad for a new Sharknado -- maybe in July?
Time to have some fun and get out the popcorn. Don't have a clue
about social media.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 7:41:14 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 11:21 PM, Cheri wrote:

> >> Not that it matters to anyone else but I have to have a land line for
> >> the required security system. I didn't see any point in having the
> >> extra expense of a cell phone bill, too. I do not like talking on the
> >> phone.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I have a landline because I prefer to talk on a phone that doesn't keep
> > cutting out etc. I will always have a landline, but my phone usage is
> > small. I am not a phone talker either.
> >
> > Cheri

> Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
> purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
> cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
> look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
> helped unless all the various carriers used it.
>
> As far as phone usage goes, I generally only use the phone to schedule
> appointments. I talk with my SO at least once a day but he's the only
> person I talk with for any length of time.
>
> Jill

Spotty cell phone reception is BUILT IN to the technology!! It's radio wave connectivity, it's GONNA be spotty no matter what!! Nothing more reliable than a solid copper WIRE!! Which is also MUCH more secure than a radio wave signal propagating everywhere!! DUH!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 3:31 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>> book to read on vacation/whatever.

> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>
> Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
> get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
> requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>
> nb

Revenue generator? Some of the games a better than printing presses at
the mint for making money.

Never paid for an App. Google maps is free. Only advantage over a
computer is portability.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, Janet B > wrote:

> I think I saw an ad for a new Sharknado -- maybe in July?

They've already done 3 Sharknado's. I've seen not a one, but the
documentary on the 3 movies is called, Sharknado: Feeding Frenzy, and
goes into the Sharknado phenomena pretty heavy. It was watching this
docu that I learned twitter almost collapsed under the load of 5,000
tweets per minute immediately following the release of the original
Sharknado movie.

Why am I not surprised?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Revenue generator? Some of the games a better than printing presses at
> the mint for making money.

For Apple and Gobble, maybe. Since I'm not into games, I wouldn't
know.

> Never paid for an App.

Plenty do. Are you an "app" luddite?

> Google maps is free.

Yes. Right after I sign up with Gobble, give 'em my email address,
and generally do more for the vendor than I do fer myself. I don't
even need an app on my computer. Why do I need one fer my cell phone?
Actually, I know the answer to this one.

> Only advantage over a computer is portability.

Being retired, I need no portability.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 May 2016 19:31:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
>> book to read on vacation/whatever.

>My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>
>Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
>get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
>requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
>generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
>It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
>on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>
>nb

I think you should look around more. I haven't spent a penny on any
app.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:33:17 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> Exactly!! The landline telephone service is perhaps THE most reliable electronic communications technology ever implemented!! Can't say that about ANY cell phone service! ANY!! I can count the number of times my land line telephone service had been out in 50 years of use on ONE FINGER!! Exactly ONCE!! Phone company was doing some work on the phone lines outside.

You're lucky. Before I dumped my landline, I was losing service
every other thunderstorm.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:34:12 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:

> I think I saw an ad for a new Sharknado -- maybe in July?
> Time to have some fun and get out the popcorn. Don't have a clue
> about social media.

I haven't seen any ads, but July is usually when they come out. I'll
have to check IMDB.

Thanks,

Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 May 2016 19:42:02 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-05-04, Janet B > wrote:
>
>> I think I saw an ad for a new Sharknado -- maybe in July?

>They've already done 3 Sharknado's. I've seen not a one, but the
>documentary on the 3 movies is called, Sharknado: Feeding Frenzy, and
>goes into the Sharknado phenomena pretty heavy. It was watching this
>docu that I learned twitter almost collapsed under the load of 5,000
>tweets per minute immediately following the release of the original
>Sharknado movie.
>
>Why am I not surprised?
>
>nb

If you watch, you already know the next one is 4. If not, I didn't
need to explain. I'm not so old and sour that I can't have fun with
something like that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, Janet B > wrote:

> On 4 May 2016 19:42:02 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>They've already done 3 Sharknado's. I've seen not a one....

>>Why am I not surprised?

> If you watch, you already know the next one is 4.

Duh! If you know how to read, you already know I have not seen the
first three(3) movies.

> If not, I didn't need to explain.

No one asked you to explain, anything. It was a rhetorical question.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 1:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

>> As far as phone usage goes, I generally only use the phone to schedule
>> appointments. I talk with my SO at least once a day but he's the only
>> person I talk with for any length of time.
>>
>> Jill

> Spotty cell phone reception is BUILT IN to the technology!! It's radio wave connectivity, it's GONNA be spotty no matter what!! Nothing more reliable than a solid copper WIRE!! Which is also MUCH more secure than a radio wave signal propagating everywhere!! DUH!!
>
> John Kuthe...

Connect some solid copper wire to your new van and be sure and tell us
far you get down the road.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 2:31:37 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-04, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > Not even a LITTLE weird, if I get the app I can download a
> > book to read on vacation/whatever.

> My computer doesn't need an "app". It has "programs".
>
> Why can I get maps on my computer, all day long, but when I try and
> get it on a mobil device, it demands I use an "app", which all too often
> requires more $. I'll tell you why. Hand-helds are nothing but revenue
> generation devices. Buy the device, buy the service, buy he app.
> It's one big revenue genorator. Why in the heck would I spend more money
> on something I already have? Make no sense, at all. 8|
>
> nb

Absolutely correct!! We used to whinge about "the phone company" being a huge controlling corporation, and what we have spawned is the phone company ON STEROIDS!! The CELL PHONE CORPORATIONS!! Ugh! All because they convinced everyone they need their own personal rechargeable pocket phone whose batteries always spaz out and for which reception is spotty at best! AND COST A LOT MORE!!

And I agree with you to on that cutesy little abbreviation "app". I've written computer programs, and some call them "applications". I don't, I call them programs! Everything on your computer or phone is a program, EVERYTHING!! You never work with the actual hardware except maybe to plug in to charge or plug in earbuds with cell phones. You don't even have a hardware on/off switch, that's software too!

John Kuthe...