Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

On 5/3/2016 8:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> All those apps want all kinds of permissions, even if you are
>> willing to pay for them.
>>
>> Even the public library. Go away. It's very off-putting.
>> No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
>> the tablet, not the point.

> Practically every app/game I have seen wants to access your contacts
> and call logs.

That's just creepy. I never give out my number, and my tablet
isn't a cell phone.

> Cell phone numbers are valuable marketing tols for
> tracking everything you do. They are more important to marketers than
> your social security number. You ARE a phone number. And you are
> identified that way in thousands of marketing and data-mining
> databases. Why do you think Facebook and Google want your phone
> numbers so badly? And they'll use any bullshit exscuse to make you
> give it to them "for your protection", of course.

They're always trying to help me if only I'd give them my phone
number. Yeah, because that's so helpful. In case I forget my
login or something. Gee thanks.

> I have some of those apps installed, but I have never been connected
> to the Internet while those apps/games are being used. So they can't
> hoard all my personal info and send it back to the mother planet.

I feel like I should be able to pay for apps and not have them
needing to sell me to make their money. I get it, things aren't
FREE, people don't work for free, somehow money has to be generated.

So let me pay $5, 10, just let me use the app in peace.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 4:02:25 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/3/2016 8:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:01 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> All those apps want all kinds of permissions, even if you are
> >> willing to pay for them.
> >>
> >> Even the public library. Go away. It's very off-putting.
> >> No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
> >> the tablet, not the point.

> > Practically every app/game I have seen wants to access your contacts
> > and call logs.

> That's just creepy. I never give out my number, and my tablet
> isn't a cell phone.
>
> > Cell phone numbers are valuable marketing tols for
> > tracking everything you do. They are more important to marketers than
> > your social security number. You ARE a phone number. And you are
> > identified that way in thousands of marketing and data-mining
> > databases. Why do you think Facebook and Google want your phone
> > numbers so badly? And they'll use any bullshit exscuse to make you
> > give it to them "for your protection", of course.

> They're always trying to help me if only I'd give them my phone
> number. Yeah, because that's so helpful. In case I forget my
> login or something. Gee thanks.

I think it's a pretty good idea. If you lose your log-on information or if you feel someone has used your account and changed the password and you cannot log in, they'll text you a new password. Just make sure that you don't ever let your cell phone out of your sight. My guess is that a cell phone is going to be the wallet and car keys of the future. Ultimately, the device will be implanted on our body so we can't ever lose it.

> > I have some of those apps installed, but I have never been connected
> > to the Internet while those apps/games are being used. So they can't
> > hoard all my personal info and send it back to the mother planet.

> I feel like I should be able to pay for apps and not have them
> needing to sell me to make their money. I get it, things aren't
> FREE, people don't work for free, somehow money has to be generated.
>
> So let me pay $5, 10, just let me use the app in peace.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>>> haven't missed it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.
>>

> Not that it matters to anyone else but I have to have a land line for the
> required security system. I didn't see any point in having the extra
> expense of a cell phone bill, too. I do not like talking on the phone.
>
> Jill

I have a landline because I prefer to talk on a phone that doesn't keep
cutting out etc. I will always have a landline, but my phone usage is small.
I am not a phone talker either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2016 11:26:38 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
> > cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
> > cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
> > up for a phone plan.
> >
> > I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
> > ideas of the best way to start?

> Make sure you get one that runs at least Android 4.4 so that the
> browser is up to date enough to be able to use most websites.

<snip the rest of good info>
Thanks for that, Steve. I didn't know that and I could have easily
wasted my money on a phone that didn't work so good. Sounds to me like
I can get a cheap phone, use it for free (but no phone). Sounds like a
cheap toy but something fun and even handy to have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bon Ami wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > notbob wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> > >
> > > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> > > one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> > > device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> > >
> > > I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
> > > work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
> > > wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
> > > also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
> > > cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> > > buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

> > I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
> > cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
> > cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
> > up for a phone plan.
> >
> > I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
> > ideas of the best way to start?

> I got a cheapo LG Realm Tracfone on Amazon several years ago, I think it was thirty bux. I never activated it, just use it for WiFi hotspots, Google maps, and I have 32 gigs of old time radio, music, etc. on the SD card, so I use it for that...
>
> All the apps, etc. will work just fine, even though it's not activated...

Thanks for your input, Greg. This is what I was thinking and nice to
know that I can do all that without activation.

For voice, I have a landline and that's all I need. If I'm not home,
leave a message on my machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 11:21 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.
>>>

>> Not that it matters to anyone else but I have to have a land line for
>> the required security system. I didn't see any point in having the
>> extra expense of a cell phone bill, too. I do not like talking on the
>> phone.
>>
>> Jill

> I have a landline because I prefer to talk on a phone that doesn't keep
> cutting out etc. I will always have a landline, but my phone usage is
> small. I am not a phone talker either.
>
> Cheri

Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
helped unless all the various carriers used it.

As far as phone usage goes, I generally only use the phone to schedule
appointments. I talk with my SO at least once a day but he's the only
person I talk with for any length of time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 12:09 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:04:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>

>>> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of that.

>> Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic service.
>> Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

> I looked at the broadband prices in her area (actually Gary's area),
> and the prices on that are really high (for slow speeds) compared to
> other locales. So it wouldn't surprise me that landline phone is
> high, too. But not $140 - that would be unheard of. AT&T says it's
> 32.99/mo (+ fees - about $40 total) for unlimited local + long
> distance in Virgina.
>
> Which was what my landline was before I switched to VOIP - now it's
> $20/month. Plus another $35 for 16Gbit Internet - so about $55 for
> both phone and Internet.
>
> -sw

Hey, was that you calling the other day? (kidding!) The caller ID said
VOIP Call. I don't know anyone who actually uses VOIP. Needless to say
I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message so I guess they didn't
really want to talk to me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I looked at the broadband prices in her area (actually Gary's area),
> and the prices on that are really high (for slow speeds) compared to
> other locales. So it wouldn't surprise me that landline phone is
> high, too. But not $140 - that would be unheard of. AT&T says it's
> 32.99/mo (+ fees - about $40 total) for unlimited local + long
> distance in Virgina.

For landline here you use Verizon which I have had forever. Montly
cost is just under $35 per month total. It's for unlimited local calls
only (within the area code). Long distance is sold by other companies.

I have no idea what cshenk was getting to cost her $140 per month.
Maybe she was using their dsl for phone and internet but still that
should be WAY less than $140.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 May 2016 11:26:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> >
> > I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> > one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> > device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> >
> > I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
> > work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
> > wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
> > also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
> > cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
> > buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

> I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
> cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
> cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
> up for a phone plan.
>
> I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
> ideas of the best way to start?

Didn't you just state how you were starting?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
> the tablet, not the point.

They need permission access to your photos if you intend to post
photos.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2016 17:13:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/3/2016 4:17 PM, William wrote:
> > On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
> >>
> >> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
> >> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
> >> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
> >>
> >> nb

> > before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
> > he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
> > refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
> > their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
> > for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
> >
> > Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
> > of life.
> >
> > William
> >

> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> haven't missed it.

You don't have cell phone reception, so a cell phone would be a waste
of money.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:47:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 03 May 2016 11:26:38 -0400, Gary wrote:
> >
> > > I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
> > > cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
> > > cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
> > > up for a phone plan.
> > >
> > > I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
> > > ideas of the best way to start?

> > Make sure you get one that runs at least Android 4.4 so that the
> > browser is up to date enough to be able to use most websites.

> <snip the rest of good info>
> Thanks for that, Steve. I didn't know that and I could have easily
> wasted my money on a phone that didn't work so good. Sounds to me like
> I can get a cheap phone, use it for free (but no phone). Sounds like a
> cheap toy but something fun and even handy to have.

What's the point of using it as a browser when you already have more
than one computer? Spend your money on food.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 17:13:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
>>> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
>>> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
>>> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
>>> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>>>
>>> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
>>> of life.
>>>
>>> William
>>>

>> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>> haven't missed it.
>>

> You don't have cell phone reception, so a cell phone would be a waste
> of money.

True, but I'm required to have a land line for the security system.
Even if there was excellent reception, paying two phone bills didn't
make any sense.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
> purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
> cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
> look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
> helped unless all the various carriers used it.

What's stopping Dataw from installing a cell phone booster? Would
be a service to the residents and how much can it cost?

A few years back the fire department wanted to have a cell phone
tower installed in their parking lot. 300 feet tall or something
equally ludicrous. (miss you, Lou). It would have been an insane
eyesore right in the middle of the 'village'.

We went to the town hall meeting to show opposition. One thing
that came up was People are complaining about the cell signal when
they're shopping in Acme. It was brought up that all that was needed
was a cell phone booster in the Acme and it would end all the problems.

The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
storm in the supermarket.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:36:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
> > purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
> > cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
> > look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
> > helped unless all the various carriers used it.

> What's stopping Dataw from installing a cell phone booster? Would
> be a service to the residents and how much can it cost?
>
> A few years back the fire department wanted to have a cell phone
> tower installed in their parking lot. 300 feet tall or something
> equally ludicrous. (miss you, Lou). It would have been an insane
> eyesore right in the middle of the 'village'.
>
> We went to the town hall meeting to show opposition. One thing
> that came up was People are complaining about the cell signal when
> they're shopping in Acme. It was brought up that all that was needed
> was a cell phone booster in the Acme and it would end all the problems.
>
> The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
> maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
> storm in the supermarket.

That was a simple fix. Didn't even know there were boosters for
cellphone signals... is it for just one carrier or all of them?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/3/2016 4:17 PM, William wrote:
>> On 3 May 2016 13:21:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....
>>>
>>> I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
>>> one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
>>> device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.
>>>
>>> nb

>> before Thomas Edison created the General Electric Corporation,
>> he invented electric light bulbs. Alot of people around the country
>> refused to use them prefering their oil lamps and candles to light
>> their homes at night. There were many who refused to pay $600 bucks
>> for one of Henry Ford's Model "T" Automobiles when they came out.
>>
>> Once they died off, their decendents saw these products as necessities
>> of life.
>>
>> William
>>

>It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
>haven't missed it.
>
>Jill

you don't understand what you are depriving yourself of Jill. I
recently traveled to my daughters house in south Florida. I turned on
an App called "Google Maps" to guide me on my journey. Along the way,
the person on Google Maps giving me directions suddenly came on and
said there was a wreck blocking the road ten miles ahead and I should
take the next exit to detour around the wreck and backed up traffic!

Don't you really NEED a Smartphone in your life?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 May 2016 09:47:17 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/4/2016 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 May 2016 17:13:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> It's not the same thing. I haven't had a cell phone for years. I
> >> haven't missed it.
> >>

> > You don't have cell phone reception, so a cell phone would be a waste
> > of money.
> >

> True, but I'm required to have a land line for the security system.
> Even if there was excellent reception, paying two phone bills didn't
> make any sense.

There's no point in you putting down people who aren't tied to a
landline, which is what you do.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:38:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
>> the tablet, not the point.

> They need permission access to your photos if you intend to post
> photos.

To the library? No, I'm not. And they could get permission for
that then. They also don't need my contacts, etc etc.

No doubt they got their app for free from someone hoping to
gather data as payment.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:44 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 09:47:17 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2016 9:23 AM, sf wrote:

>>> You don't have cell phone reception, so a cell phone would be a waste
>>> of money.
>>>

>> True, but I'm required to have a land line for the security system.
>> Even if there was excellent reception, paying two phone bills didn't
>> make any sense.
>>

> There's no point in you putting down people who aren't tied to a
> landline, which is what you do.

That's how you see it. I wasn't putting anyone down. I simply don't
see a telephone - any kind of telephone - as anything more than a
sometimes useful instrument. I use mine for things like making
appointments, scheduling contractors, etc. I don't need a bunch of apps
or fancy interfaces to do those things. It's just my POV. YMOV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 6:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Old biddy rationalizing.

>> Uncalled for comment about a regular poster of this forum.
>> Why are you doing this?...what has she ever done to you?
>> ====
>>

> No one has to *do* anything to make a troll crawl out from under the
> bridge.
>
> Jill

And yet you continue to bully Julie, you thin-lipped old biddy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:36:01 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
>> maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
>> storm in the supermarket.
>>

> That was a simple fix. Didn't even know there were boosters for
> cellphone signals... is it for just one carrier or all of them?

If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
seem to be attached to any carrier.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 6:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I do not like talking on the phone.
>
> Jill

No one would ever call you anyway, old biddy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > No, just not everyone wants to live attached to a telephone.

> Get over it.
>
> Have you ever considered that people can have a cell phone as their
> only voice option and still function as if they don't own one? I use
> on average, 500 Mb or less of data per month...

LOL! And you think you could function without that? This is good
reading.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:44 AM, William wrote:
> you don't understand what you are depriving yourself of Jill. I
> recently traveled to my daughters house in south Florida. I turned on
> an App called "Google Maps" to guide me on my journey. Along the way,
> the person on Google Maps giving me directions suddenly came on and
> said there was a wreck blocking the road ten miles ahead and I should
> take the next exit to detour around the wreck and backed up traffic!
>
> Don't you really NEED a Smartphone in your life?
>
> William

I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 7:12 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-03 8:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/3/2016 6:28 PM, wrote:

>>> Yabbut, first you have to find a pay phone, not many left around here.
>>>

>> There are still plenty of them where I live.

> They have them in malls around here.

Canuckistan is tragically BEHIND the tech curve...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > True, but I'm required to have a land line for the security system.
> > Even if there was excellent reception, paying two phone bills didn't
> > make any sense.
> >

> There's no point in you putting down people who aren't tied to a
> landline, which is what you do.

I've never seen/read Jill "putting down people" that use cell phones.
She merely states that she needs the land line for her home and no
need to pay for 2 different voice phones. Same with me. Neither of us
need to use 500mb of data per month unlike some people here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 10:36 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Yes, spotty cell reception is an issue around here unless you have
>> purchase a signal booster. A few years ago there was a push to put a
>> cell tower on Dataw but no one wanted that to be their view when they
>> look out the window. From what I understand, it really wouldn't have
>> helped unless all the various carriers used it.

> What's stopping Dataw from installing a cell phone booster? Would
> be a service to the residents and how much can it cost?

I don't know that they explored that option. They were talking about a
tower. Individual residents are the ones who said they had to buy (or
talk their carrier into giving them) a booster device for their homes.

> A few years back the fire department wanted to have a cell phone
> tower installed in their parking lot. 300 feet tall or something
> equally ludicrous. (miss you, Lou). It would have been an insane
> eyesore right in the middle of the 'village'.
>
> We went to the town hall meeting to show opposition. One thing
> that came up was People are complaining about the cell signal when
> they're shopping in Acme. It was brought up that all that was needed
> was a cell phone booster in the Acme and it would end all the problems.
>
> The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
> maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
> storm in the supermarket.
>
> nancy

I don't remember all the details, I do know (as you say) no one on Dataw
wanted that towering eyesore sitting right near their house.

I guess it's different for a store to install a signal booster. I don't
know that would work here. Dataw is bigger than most people think.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 6:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Which was what my landline was before I switched to VOIP - now it's
>> $20/month. Plus another $35 for 16Gbit Internet - so about $55 for
>> both phone and Internet.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Hey, was that you calling the other day? (kidding!) The caller ID said
> VOIP Call. I don't know anyone who actually uses VOIP. Needless to say
> I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message so I guess they didn't
> really want to talk to me.
>
> Jill

Oh wow, Sqwerty went meat space stalker on you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.

BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.

.......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:00 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 10:42 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:36:01 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> The cell tower was not approved (totally inappropriate location) and
>>> maybe someone installed a booster, because people are talking up a
>>> storm in the supermarket.
>>>

>> That was a simple fix. Didn't even know there were boosters for
>> cellphone signals... is it for just one carrier or all of them?

> If you look, you'll see cell phone boosters for sale, they don't
> seem to be attached to any carrier.
>
> nancy

The ones I was talking about were for residential use.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:16 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 5/4/2016 6:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> Which was what my landline was before I switched to VOIP - now it's
>>> $20/month. Plus another $35 for 16Gbit Internet - so about $55 for
>>> both phone and Internet.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Hey, was that you calling the other day? (kidding!) The caller ID said
>> VOIP Call. I don't know anyone who actually uses VOIP. Needless to say
>> I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message so I guess they didn't
>> really want to talk to me.
>>
>> Jill

> Oh wow, Sqwerty went meat space stalker on you!

Bullshit. Steve has never stalked me you nymshifting asshole.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> True, but I'm required to have a land line for the security system.
>>> Even if there was excellent reception, paying two phone bills didn't
>>> make any sense.
>>>

>> There's no point in you putting down people who aren't tied to a
>> landline, which is what you do.

> I've never seen/read Jill "putting down people" that use cell phones.
> She merely states that she needs the land line for her home and no
> need to pay for 2 different voice phones. Same with me. Neither of us
> need to use 500mb of data per month unlike some people here.

That's pretty much it, Gary. Apparently her nose is still tweaked from
when I said I prefer to use a paper shopping list rather than a cell
phone and a shopping app. Hey, your money, your choice. I don't have a
need for it. And again, why pay two phone bills?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a cell phone only to use when my landline is so filled with static I
can't hear the other person. Nobody knows the number. I don't take it
anywhere, altho if I ever traveled, I would put it in the car just for 911.
I have never had a cellphone to use on a regular basis. And I love my
life without. I can't believe what people pay for their monthly cellphone
use. It's outrageous.

My little LG flip phone from Walmart was $30. I do have to put minutes in
periodically, which go to waste, but it's super cheap.

I am still waiting for a cellphone which doesn't require an X-amount of purchased
minutes.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2016 11:23 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-04, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I'm depriving myself of a needless second phone bill.

> Amazing how that simple fact seems to elude most ppl.
>
> BTW, you may be interested in a telling revelation. Turns out the
> same ppl most likely to watch Sharknado are also the same ppl most
> likely to have cell phones and use social media, like twitter.
>
> ......lordy! .....don't get me started. 8|
>
> nb

Sharknado? I refuse to look that one up! I think I'll stick with
Turner Classic Movies, PBS and the occasional show on HGTV and the
History Channel.

Jill