Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken stew

That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool and
rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking that the cats
looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It has potatoes, white
beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans onions, celery, salt, pepper,
parsley and bay leaves. Also a very small amount of Wondra flour. The
creamed corn was a boo boo. I don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had
grabbed the wrong can until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it
so it needed very little thickening.

We also had fruit cocktail and some yummy little olive oil breadsticks that
QFC had for 99 cents per box. I wasn't expecting much given their price but
they remind me in flavor of the crackers I make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
> and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
> that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It
> has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans
> onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also a very
> small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo boo. I
> don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong can
> until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so it needed
> very little thickening.

With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
>> and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
>> that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It
>> has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans
>> onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also a very
>> small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo boo. I
>> don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong can
>> until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so it needed
>> very little thickening.

> With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

That's strange. All of the recipes I've seen for burgoo have been a
combination of meats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burgoo, was Chicken stew

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
> > > and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
> > > that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips.
> > > It has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green
> > > beans onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also
> > > a very small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo
> > > boo. I don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the
> > > wrong can until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so
> > > it needed very little thickening.

> > With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

> That's strange. All of the recipes I've seen for burgoo have been a
> combination of meats.

The classic does but some are single meat sorts, normally made for
smaller families (aiming for 2-3 serings, tops 4).

Since Burgoo has *huge* variation, there isnt really a single 'this is
burgoo' that works for all.

In my neck of SC as a kid along the smokey mountains, it had to have
squirrel or possum as one of the meats or they called it something
else. If it had only squirrel, it was squirrel stew, same for possum
being possum stew. If you added chicken though, it became 2 meats and
was burgoo. Elsewhere, chicken and pork combined can be called burgoo
and oddly to me, here along the east coast in spots, if you combine a
seafood and chicken and/or pork, it's also called burgoo.

Some use a tomato sauce base (I do, canned chunks or break up whole
stewed ones a bit) while others scream that tomatoes do not belong in
burgoo. Some use potatoes (I do not, feels a strange match) but yours
did and quite a few do. The only 'one off' in your recipe to me was
the bay leaf. I'm not saying that is bad, just something I have tasted
but it is used in some versions. Canned creamed corn is pretty common.
Celery I've seen mostly in local versions (where there's a lot of
seafood added) but others use it.

Either way, that sort of 'toss many things in' is what I'd call a
burgoo and it sounded good to me. Your's was a meatless version but
that's ok.

Here's what I have on my recipe base for it, starting with a version of
my own:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's burgoo fusion
Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot
Yield: 16 Servings

28 oz Can minced tomatos
28 oz Can water
4 tb Osem brand chicken broth
1 ea Leek, minced
1/2 lb Chicken thighs
1/2 lb Chopped broccoli spears
1/8 ts Patis
1 c Carrots, chopped
1 c Corn
1/2 lb Italian meatballs

Charlotte got to cooking and though it's not at all 'italian' this
seems a bit close to us. The dish is made with deboned cooked
chicken thighs so you have shreds of meat. Dunno about you but we
always have a few extras of cooked chicken thighs from our 'adobo
chicken' (boiled chicken in adobo seasoning from Goya).

So we started with the idea of an italian tomato vegetable soup, but
the leeks looked so tastey and they grow them in italy too right? In
they leapt with a can of ground tomatoes and a can of water. Then
italians grow carrots right? So, we chopped up 2. Oh, they raise
chickens right? So we looked and found some leftover frozen
pre-cooked ones and tossed them in (later we deboned them but you can
start with boneless uncooked ones). Then we added some italian
meatballs (I mean, thats classic italian right?). Looking it over,
we tossed in 3 whole corncobs which we scraped down later but you can
use a can of corn here just fine. The broccoli is the spears off a
chinese broccoli but you can use the stems of regular just fine.

Taste test and we added a little patis and black pepper.

Now, this started as 'italian' and we served it with crusty italian
bread, but we also found it takes really well to a nice hunk of
chedder melting in the serving bowl.

One of these days if we keep trying to make italian, we will succeed.
Meantime, this was mighty tastey stuff!

From the VB kitchen of: xxcarol 23FEB2008

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Beaumont Inn Burgoo
Categories: Soups/stews
Yield: 6 Servings

1 lb Mixed cooked meats (beef;
- lamb, pork, chicken,
- game, etc
1/2 ga Chicken stock
1/2 ga Beef stock
1 oz Worcestershire sauce
1 c Tomatoes; diced
1 lg Onion; diced
1 Celery; diced
1 sm Green bell pepper; diced
1 lg Potato; diced
2 lg Carrots; diced
1/4 c Peas
1/2 c Okra
1/4 c Lima beans
1/2 c Yellow corn
2 ts Garlic; minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Recipe by: Beaumont Inn

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
for 2 hours, skimming the top as needed.

Note: Many regional versions of this soup are thick enough to stand
your spoon in. I developed this recipe to be a lighter first course
soup. Its history dates back to before the civil war and is a
favorite at Kentucky Derby time.

Entered for you by: Bill Webster Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #835
by Bill Webster > on Oct 10, 1997

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Burgoo
Categories: Stew, Beef, Main dish
Yield: 20 Servings

3 lb Ready to Cook BroilerChicken
12 c Water
1/4 ts Pepper
56 oz (2 cns) Tomatoes
2 c Coarsely Chopped Carrots
1 c Chopped Celery
2 tb Packed Dark Brown Sugar
4 Whole Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
32 oz (2 cns) Butter Beans
2/3 c Unbleached All-purpose Flour
2 lb Beef Shank Cross-cuts
1 tb Salt
6 Slices Bacon
1 c Cubed Peeled Potatoes
1 c Chopped Onion
1 c Chopped Green Pepper
1/4 ts Crushed Dried Red Pepper
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
4 Ears Of Fresh Corn
10 oz Frozen Cut Okra

In 10-quart Dutch oven or stock pot combine chicken, beef cross cuts,
water, salt and pepper. Cover; cook til meat is tender, about 1 hour.
Remove chicken and beef from broth, reserving broth. Remove chicken
and beef from bones; discard skin and bones. Cube beef and chicken.
Set aside. Cook bacon til crisp; drain, reserving drippings. Cruble
bacon, set aside. To reserved broth in Dutch oven, add cubed beef,
undrained tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, green pepper,
sugar, red pepper, cloves, garlic,and Bay Leaf. Cover; simmer 1
hour, stirring often. Remove cloves and bay leaf. With knife, make
cuts down center of each row of corn kernels and scrape off of cobs.
Add corn, cubed chicken, undrained beans, and okra to Dutch oven;
simmer 20 minutes. Blend flour and reserved bacon drippings; stir
into stew. Cook until stew thickens. Salt to taste. Garnish with
parsley and serve hot with baking powder biscuits for a great meal.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Harry Young's Burgoo
Categories: Soups & sto, Chicken, Pork
Yield: 10 Servings

1 Pork loin, 2-2 1/2 lbs
1 Frying chicken, 2-2 1/2 lbs
12 c Water (up to 14)
4 lb Ground beef
6 c Whole kernel corn, frozen
5 c Purple hull peas, frozen
5 c Lima beans, frozen
3 c Cabbage, chopped
2 md Potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 md Onions, chopped
1 cn (46 oz) tomato juice
1 cn (16 oz) whole tomatoes,
-undrained, chopped
2 c Okra, frozen, cut up
1 lb Carrots, diced
1 Green pepper, chopped
3/4 c Celery, chopped
1/4 c Fresh parsley, chopped
1 tb Crushed red pepper (up to 2)
1 tb Salt
1 tb Celery salt
1 1/2 ts Pepper

Combine pork, chicken, and 12 cups water in a large Dutch oven; bring
to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours. Drain meat,
reserving broth. Remove bone, and shred pork. Skin, bone, and shred
chicken. Return meat to broth. Brown ground beef in a large skillet,
stirring to crumble; drain. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients
to broth. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2
hours; stir often. Add water for a thinner consistency, if desired.
Yield: 2-1/2 gallons

Source: Southern Living 1987 Annual Recipes; Harry M.Young, Jr,

Herndon, Kentucky

Recipe by: Harry M.Young, Jr. Posted to TNT - Prodigy's Recipe
Exchange Newsletter by on Apr 17, 1997

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Kentucky Burgoo
Categories: Poultry, None
Yield: 8 Servings

20 x Minutes preparation time
3 x To 4 hours cooking time

MMMMM------------------------INGREDIENTS-----------------------------
1 Chicken; cut up (3 1/2lb)
1 ts Salt
1 ts Cayenne pepper
1 Garlic clove; minced
1 lg Unpeeled potato; cubed
1 lg Onion; chopped
1 md Greek bell pepper; chopped
1 c Carrots; sliced
1 c Fresh okra; or
1 pk -frozen okra
1 c Fresh lima beans; or
1 pk -frozen lima beans
16 oz Whole or stewed tomatoes
-undrained and chopped
17 oz Whole kernal corn; undrained
Worcestershire sauce
Hot pepper sauce
1 Jigger bourbon; optional
Fresh parsely; garnish

1. In large stockpot, combine chicken, salt, cayenne, garlic, and 2
quarts water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 to2 hours,
unti chicken barely clings to its bones. While chicken simmers, chop
and prepare vegetables.

2. Remove chicken from broth. Remove and discard bones. Cut
chicken into pieces and return to broth.

3. Add vegetables and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until
stew thickens and vegetalbes, save for the corn kernals, are barely
recognizable.

4. Season to taste with Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce. For an
extra kick, add a jigger of bourbon. Add parsley for garnish.

From: 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. Happy Charring

~-- EZPoint V2.2 * Origin: "LaRK's" Place (1:343/26.3)

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:29:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
> > and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
> > that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It
> > has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans
> > onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also a very
> > small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo boo. I
> > don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong can
> > until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so it needed
> > very little thickening.

> With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:29:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
> > > and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
> > > that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips.
> > > It has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green
> > > beans onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also
> > > a very small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo
> > > boo. I don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the
> > > wrong can until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so
> > > it needed very little thickening.

> > With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).

I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:53:03 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.

I think potato would work if it was kept to a bare minimum...
visualizing no more than one medium sized yellow potato between the
two of us in a chicken stew with the ingredients she mentioned. Think
I'll try it this week, if life doesn't get in the way.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 24-Apr-2016, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > That's strange. All of the recipes I've seen for burgoo have
> > > been a combination of meats.

> > The classic does but some are single meat sorts, normally made for
> > smaller families (aiming for 2-3 serings, tops 4).
> >
> > Since Burgoo has huge variation, there isnt really a single 'this is
> > burgoo' that works for all.

> During my childhood in 1950s western Kentucky, "burgoo suppers" were
> regular fund raisers for schools and churches. Chicken was always in
> the burgoo I remember; but, second and third meats could have been
> anything that was available. I recall sometimes it was pork, other
> times venison and, often, beef. People would come to my elementary
> school every fall for a burgoo supper; individual servings could be
> had; but, more often than not, people would also show up with quart
> jars to be filled and taken home for later.
>
> I don't recall anyone in my family making burgoo until 30+ years
> after we had moved away. My parents decided they really missed
> having it and wanted to make some; the following is the recipe I
> think they used. It did not live up to their memory of burgoo; but,
> memories often can't be beat with reality. 8-) The result was
> similar to a stew my dad occasionally made when cleaning out all the
> leftovers in fridge and freezer - he said it was slumgullion - I
> thought it a bit better than than; but, that's what he called it.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook * (snippies*)

Yes, it;s a vary different dish per cook and area. Your family would
probably freak out just a little to find clams in there.

Made right, it is indeed very tasty stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:12:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Since Burgoo has *huge* variation, there isnt really a single 'this is
> burgoo' that works for all.

I see the Beaumont Inn Burgoo recipe calls for lima beans, so that
means I can substitute a can of succotash for the creamed corn,
thanks!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2016 2:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

>> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
>> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
>> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
>> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
>> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>
> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.

To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
Double the starch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:53:03 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> > show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato
> > feels one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the
> > oddball there.
> >

> I think potato would work if it was kept to a bare minimum...
> visualizing no more than one medium sized yellow potato between the
> two of us in a chicken stew with the ingredients she mentioned. Think
> I'll try it this week, if life doesn't get in the way.

Yes, minimal potato would work. Most of the ones I am used to, use
beans so the potato when you add the corn seems a bit 'much'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:12:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Since Burgoo has huge variation, there isnt really a single 'this is
> > burgoo' that works for all.

> I see the Beaumont Inn Burgoo recipe calls for lima beans, so that
> means I can substitute a can of succotash for the creamed corn,
> thanks!

Sure can! Though Burgoo is a very old thing (predates cans) that would
work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 4/24/2016 2:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
> > > Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make
> > > Caldo Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from
> > > yellow potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea.
> > > I'd probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but
> > > that's me.

> > I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title
> > was a chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in
> > the ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
> >
> > I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> > show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato
> > feels one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the
> > oddball there.
> >

> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed
> off. Double the starch.
>
> Jill

I think it was more of a toss in what you have sort of dish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeah so... Not at all like what I made. Except that they are all stew.

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Hot pepper sauce
> 1 Jigger bourbon; optional
> Fresh parsely; garnish
>
> 1. In large stockpot, combine chicken, salt, cayenne, garlic, and 2
> quarts water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 to2 hours,
> unti chicken barely clings to its bones. While chicken simmers, chop
> and prepare vegetables.
>
> 2. Remove chicken from broth. Remove and discard bones. Cut
> chicken into pieces and return to broth.
>
> 3. Add vegetables and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until
> stew thickens and vegetalbes, save for the corn kernals, are barely
> recognizable.
>
> 4. Season to taste with Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce. For an
> extra kick, add a jigger of bourbon. Add parsley for garnish.
>
> From: 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. Happy Charring
>
> ~-- EZPoint V2.2 * Origin: "LaRK's" Place (1:343/26.3)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:29:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
>> > and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
>> > that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It
>> > has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans
>> > onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also a very
>> > small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo boo. I
>> > don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong can
>> > until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so it needed
>> > very little thickening.

>> With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

Tonight's meal will be a combination of diced potato which you start first
in a skillet until partially cooked, then ground beef and onion. Cook
through and add salsa verde. Can top with crema and cheese. Can't wait!
Salas verde is my favorite flavor at the moment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

>> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
>> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
>> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
>> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
>> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>
> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.

How could chicken stew be meatless? There was boneless, skinless, chicken
breast. I just assumed that people would realize this from the name. I
will use canned chicken for soup. Would not for stew unless we were snowed
in or something and couldn't get fresh. I think stew needs larger chunks of
meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 13:53:03 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
>> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
>>

> I think potato would work if it was kept to a bare minimum...
> visualizing no more than one medium sized yellow potato between the
> two of us in a chicken stew with the ingredients she mentioned. Think
> I'll try it this week, if life doesn't get in the way.

This works well in the Crockpot but one year when Angela's dance schedule
was such that we had Crockpot meals most nights, I made this so often that I
burned everyone out on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2016 2:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
>>> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
>>> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
>>> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
>>> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

>> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
>> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
>> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>>
>> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
>> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
>>

> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
> Double the starch.

I would not normally add the beans. But when cleaning out the stockpile, I
found a somewhat old can of them. Not expired but just the lone can. And I
needed to keep some of the remaining potatoes for tonight's meal. So I just
added less potato. I do really watch my carb count. Yes, there were other
carbs in there too. The peas, corn and a little flour. But I added a lot
of celery and onion and there were the green beans. Summer squash and
tomatoes would work or really any veggies that you like but... My pot was
full so... That's what we had.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee > wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
>>> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
>>> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>>>
>>> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>>> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
>>> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
>>>

>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
>> Double the starch.

> actually, it's all very starchy;
> white beans
> corn
> potatoes
> peas

And flour. It's a diabetic nightmare.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:53:40 -0500, jinx the minx
> wrote:

>barbie gee > wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, jmcquown wrote:
>>> On 4/24/2016 2:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
>>> Double the starch.

>> actually, it's all very starchy;
>> white beans
>> corn
>> potatoes
>> peas
>>

>And flour. It's a diabetic nightmare.

Bothell insulin is stronger than anywhere else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title
>> > was a chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in
>> > the ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>> >
>> > I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>> > show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato
>> > feels one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the
>> > oddball there.
>> >

>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed
>> off. Double the starch.
>>
>> Jill

> I think it was more of a toss in what you have sort of dish?

Yes. I am so close to getting the deck redone that I can taste it. And the
guy that I think I will hire is working with me so well that I think I can
also afford to have him tear down the old play structure and perhaps even
put in something new. He suggested a fire pit and small gazebo. This will
please the teens no end as we have given them the back house or at least the
portion we are not using for storage as their gathering place. So... I am
attempting to reserve every dime that I have for that.

We are mostly eating from the stockpile right now. Oddly enough we are just
not getting much in the way of food fresh produce here now so spending much
money on that isn't even an option. And our weather has turned cold again
so soups and stews are great. I am buying a little meat here and there,
some bread (although now that I am done with Spring cleaning and will have
more time), I will try to finish off the flour and yeast and such and bake
my own before it gets hot again. We have plenty of cheese, shelf stable
milk, rice, pasta and various canned goods. I think a couple packages of
dried beans. I will need more potatoes and onions but we are sitting pretty
in the food department for now.

Better still (at least in terms of food), husband will be going away on
business two different times and at least one of those will be for an
extended period of time. So that will truly help. He goes through massive
amounts of fresh fruit and that can get expensive. But right now the best I
can do is oranges. Could get bananas but they are not his fruit of choice.
I actually bought a can of fruit cocktail the other day just for some
variety. I rarely ever buy that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
>>> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
>>> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>>>
>>> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>>> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
>>> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
>>>

>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
>> Double the starch.

> actually, it's all very starchy;
> white beans
> corn
> potatoes
> peas

There was also green beans and proportionally a lot of celery and onion.
When I cook stuff like this, I make sure to put in more of the non starchy
stuff than anything else. It was a very big pot of stew. There is still
some left and we ate it two days in a row. The chicken was a family pack.

I have learned that at least for me, the eye appeal of the food is as
important as the other aspects. If I can look in the bowl and see a couple
of peas, a corn kernel, a potato chunk, it's all good. Doesn't have to be a
lot of that stuff in there. As long as my eye can see it, I am happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> barbie gee > wrote:

>>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
>>> Double the starch.

>> actually, it's all very starchy;
>> white beans
>> corn
>> potatoes
>> peas
>>

> And flour. It's a diabetic nightmare.

Nonsense. You are assuming. I gave no proportions. As I said, the creamed
corn added body so I needed very little flour. I don't even think I used as
much as a Tablespoon. And I used far more meat and non starchy veggies than
I did the starchy stuff. It was a very large pot of stew. We've had it
twice and there is still some left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>> barbie gee > wrote:

>>> actually, it's all very starchy;
>>> white beans
>>> corn
>>> potatoes
>>> peas
>>>

>> And flour. It's a diabetic nightmare.

> Nonsense. You are assuming. I gave no proportions. As I said, the creamed
> corn added body so I needed very little flour. I don't even think I used as
> much as a Tablespoon. And I used far more meat and non starchy veggies than
> I did the starchy stuff. It was a very large pot of stew. We've had it
> twice and there is still some left.

Yes, I am assuming. Then again, I no longer need insulin or any other
medication to control my diabetes now whereas I used to be on multiple
forms. I think it's a fair assumption to make. At least for me it's
simply too much starch no matter how little quantity it seems to you.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> And flour. It's a diabetic nightmare.

>> Nonsense. You are assuming. I gave no proportions. As I said, the
>> creamed
>> corn added body so I needed very little flour. I don't even think I used
>> as
>> much as a Tablespoon. And I used far more meat and non starchy veggies
>> than
>> I did the starchy stuff. It was a very large pot of stew. We've had it
>> twice and there is still some left.
>>

> Yes, I am assuming. Then again, I no longer need insulin or any other
> medication to control my diabetes now whereas I used to be on multiple
> forms. I think it's a fair assumption to make. At least for me it's
> simply too much starch no matter how little quantity it seems to you.

I would also assume that you don't have gastroparesis? I do. So for me,
the foods that work best for me are the starches but in limited amounts. I
really have to watch my intake of meat, fat and fiber. Eat too much of that
and the salmon will swim back upstream so to speak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Nonsense. You are assuming. I gave no proportions. As I said, the
>>> creamed
>>> corn added body so I needed very little flour. I don't even think I used
>>> as
>>> much as a Tablespoon. And I used far more meat and non starchy veggies
>>> than
>>> I did the starchy stuff. It was a very large pot of stew. We've had it
>>> twice and there is still some left.
>>>

>> Yes, I am assuming. Then again, I no longer need insulin or any other
>> medication to control my diabetes now whereas I used to be on multiple
>> forms. I think it's a fair assumption to make. At least for me it's
>> simply too much starch no matter how little quantity it seems to you.

> I would also assume that you don't have gastroparesis? I do. So for me,
> the foods that work best for me are the starches but in limited amounts. I
> really have to watch my intake of meat, fat and fiber. Eat too much of that
> and the salmon will swim back upstream so to speak.

I was addressing diabetes, not you and your myriad of conditions. Not.
About. You.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:07:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
> Double the starch.

I found one that calls for lima beans, so I think I'd use a can of
succotash. Still thinking that a small amount of yellow potato in
small cubes will work.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:24:00 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, jmcquown wrote:

> >> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
> >> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
> >> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
> >>
> >> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
> >> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
> >> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
> >>

> > To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
> > Double the starch.

> actually, it's all very starchy;
> white beans
> corn
> potatoes
> peas

It's poor folks food.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:12:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:12:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
> >
> > > Since Burgoo has huge variation, there isnt really a single 'this is
> > > burgoo' that works for all.

> > I see the Beaumont Inn Burgoo recipe calls for lima beans, so that
> > means I can substitute a can of succotash for the creamed corn,
> > thanks!

> Sure can! Though Burgoo is a very old thing (predates cans) that would
> work.

I don't want to make multiple meal's worth of food and don't keep lima
beans or creamed corn on hand, so a canned twofer is fine for my
purpose.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:12:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I see the Beaumont Inn Burgoo recipe calls for lima beans, so that
>> > means I can substitute a can of succotash for the creamed corn,
>> > thanks!

>> Sure can! Though Burgoo is a very old thing (predates cans) that would
>> work.

> I don't want to make multiple meal's worth of food and don't keep lima
> beans or creamed corn on hand, so a canned twofer is fine for my
> purpose.

I used to use Veg All or similar for smaller batches of soup. Or sometimes
things from the salad bar. More recently I got some single serve cups of
veggies. Not cheap at regular price but I did find some on clearance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> Yes, I am assuming. Then again, I no longer need insulin or any other
>>> medication to control my diabetes now whereas I used to be on multiple
>>> forms. I think it's a fair assumption to make. At least for me it's
>>> simply too much starch no matter how little quantity it seems to you.

>> I would also assume that you don't have gastroparesis? I do. So for me,
>> the foods that work best for me are the starches but in limited amounts.
>> really have to watch my intake of meat, fat and fiber. Eat too much of
>> that
>> and the salmon will swim back upstream so to speak.
>>

> I was addressing diabetes, not you and your myriad of conditions. Not.
> About. You.

And yet... It was MY stew. So it WAS about ME!

Booyah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:07:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
>> Double the starch.

> I found one that calls for lima beans, so I think I'd use a can of
> succotash. Still thinking that a small amount of yellow potato in
> small cubes will work.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:24:00 -0500, barbie gee >
> wrote:

>> > To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed
>> > off.
>> > Double the starch.

>> actually, it's all very starchy;
>> white beans
>> corn
>> potatoes
>> peas

> It's poor folks food.

Ha! Not with the amount of chicken that I put in there. Was heavy on the
chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> I would also assume that you don't have gastroparesis? I do. So for me,
>>> the foods that work best for me are the starches but in limited amounts.
>>> really have to watch my intake of meat, fat and fiber. Eat too much of
>>> that
>>> and the salmon will swim back upstream so to speak.
>>>

>> I was addressing diabetes, not you and your myriad of conditions. Not.
>> About. You.

> And yet... It was MY stew. So it WAS about ME!
>
> Booyah!

My judgment stands. A diabetic nightmare, as is the rest of your horrid
diet. Now it's All.About.You.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> I was addressing diabetes, not you and your myriad of conditions. Not.
>>> About. You.

>> And yet... It was MY stew. So it WAS about ME!
>>
>> Booyah!
>>

> My judgment stands. A diabetic nightmare, as is the rest of your horrid
> diet. Now it's All.About.You.

You don't know about my diet. I do post here about food but I don't list
all of my foods and not all of what I make is for me. This also isn't a
diabetes newsgroup. So lay off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> And yet... It was MY stew. So it WAS about ME!
>>>
>>> Booyah!
>>>

>> My judgment stands. A diabetic nightmare, as is the rest of your horrid
>> diet. Now it's All.About.You.

> You don't know about my diet. I do post here about food but I don't list
> all of my foods and not all of what I make is for me. This also isn't a
> diabetes newsgroup. So lay off.

It's also not an All About Julie group. Or a Shopping For Food group. Or
an I Need To Eat This Way Because I Have Gastroparesis group. Or an I
Can't Eat That group. Or any other excuse you use when you justify tearing
down what other people post about cooking. How is that different or even
okay to do? Can you say double standard? You posted the original recipe,
and we as your audience are entitled to comment on it, plain and simple.
If you didn't want the feedback, you should have kept your carb concoction
to yourself. And really, my comment was in agreement with and directed to
Barbie, not you, until you shouted that you needed more attention which I
am now giving you, so be happy. I'll repeat my agreement: it's far too
carb laden, and I am entitled to say that regardless that this isn't a
diabetic newsgroup.

Furthermore, nothing else that you could post about your diet would
compensate for the diet you DO spend inordinate amounts of time writing
about. So suck it up, buttercup.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 6:06:53 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool and
> rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking that the cats
> looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It has potatoes, white
> beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans onions, celery, salt, pepper,
> parsley and bay leaves. Also a very small amount of Wondra flour. The
> creamed corn was a boo boo. I don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had
> grabbed the wrong can until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it
> so it needed very little thickening.
>
> We also had fruit cocktail and some yummy little olive oil breadsticks that
> QFC had for 99 cents per box. I wasn't expecting much given their price but
> they remind me in flavor of the crackers I make.

I saw some chicken carcases with the breast meat, wings, and thighs, removed. It was going for under $4 for two. I made jook. Typically jook is flavored with ginger. I didn't have any ginger so I used some Thai curry paste which is mostly lemongrass and ginger. It's a good substitute. I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow.

http://www.houseofannie.com/turkey-jook/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message

> It's also not an All About Julie group. Or a Shopping For Food group. Or
> an I Need To Eat This Way Because I Have Gastroparesis group. Or an I
> Can't Eat That group. Or any other excuse you use when you justify
> tearing
> down what other people post about cooking. How is that different or even
> okay to do? Can you say double standard? You posted the original recipe,
> and we as your audience are entitled to comment on it, plain and simple.
> If you didn't want the feedback, you should have kept your carb concoction
> to yourself. And really, my comment was in agreement with and directed to
> Barbie, not you, until you shouted that you needed more attention which I
> am now giving you, so be happy. I'll repeat my agreement: it's far too
> carb laden, and I am entitled to say that regardless that this isn't a
> diabetic newsgroup.

So... Everyone else is allowed to post about their food, or their medical
conditions or their shopping? But not me. Why? Because... Dunno.

And where exactly do I tear people down about their cooking? Please enliten
me. I don't recall doing that.

I posted no recipe because there was no recipe. I do not use a recipe for
stew and generally not for soup either although I will sometimes loosely
follow a soup recipe. I did post what I put in it. I gave no proportions.
But for instance, that can of beans had 2.5 servings in it. But it was put
into a very large pot of stew that made far more than that amount of
servings.

You are also making general statements about diabetics. Are you a CDA? A
registered dietician? If so, then please enlighten us all and tell us
exactly how many grams of carb diabetics should eat per meal. I laugh to
myself as I type this as there is no one size fits all answer here.

> Furthermore, nothing else that you could post about your diet would
> compensate for the diet you DO spend inordinate amounts of time writing
> about. So suck it up, buttercup.

And you can just go FOAD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce©" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 02:38:20 -0500, jinx the minx
> > wrote:
>
>>It's also not an All About Julie group. Or a Shopping For Food group. Or
>>an I Need To Eat This Way Because I Have Gastroparesis group. Or an I
>>Can't Eat That group. Or any other excuse you use when you justify
>>tearing
>>down what other people post about cooking. How is that different or even
>>okay to do? Can you say double standard? You posted the original recipe,
>>and we as your audience are entitled to comment on it, plain and simple.
>>If you didn't want the feedback, you should have kept your carb concoction
>>to yourself. And really, my comment was in agreement with and directed to
>>Barbie, not you, until you shouted that you needed more attention which I
>>am now giving you, so be happy. I'll repeat my agreement: it's far too
>>carb laden, and I am entitled to say that regardless that this isn't a
>>diabetic newsgroup.

> Is the entire US diabetic? I don't know anyone who's diabetic, but in
> this newsgroup it seems to be the standard. What have you all been
> eating the past 50 years?

I can only speak for myself as to what I ate but no, not all Americans are
diabetic.

My mom considered bread to be poison. As such, we rarely ate sliced bread.
My dad took sandwiches in his lunch. We had cold meatloaf sandwiches on
road trips perhaps 2-3 times a year. French toast or toast for breakfast
about as often. We did have stale donuts at least once a week as they were
cheap. Also occasional biscuits, cornbread or quick bread such as date nut
or cranberry. Rolls only for holidays or company. So not often. She also
thought that cheese made us fat so that was rationed as were olives. Not
sure why the olives were.

I will say that we dined out a lot as my mom hated to cook. I took over
most all of the cooking at 12 and did some of it prior. My mom was fond of
packaged things like Rice A Roni and taco seasoning. I was not and
preferred to make from scratch. Even tortillas and pasta when I could get
the ingredients or time allowed. But... Both parents were from the Midwest
so that sort of fare is what we mostly ate at home.

A very common meal was hamburger patties eaten with no bun and canned peas
on the side. Spaghetti Red, Hamburger Helper (not if I could help it but
mom loved it), tuna casserole, mac and cheese from a box, tacos, pot roast,
ham, pork chops, chicken, occasionally steak. Mostly plain meats. No
sauces or gravy. Not even seasonings. Potatoes were not served at every
meal but when we had them, they were usually mashed. Sometimes home fries.

During the Weight Watcher years I often just didn't eat except for the
veggies as most meals were white fish poached in water with dill or tomato
juice. Liver and onions once a week.

Breakfast was usually cereal. Either oatmeal or cold. I hated most cold
cereal so again, didn't really eat much of it. My mom also pushed sliced
bananas for breakfast which I hated and tried not to eat. But sometimes we
had grapefruit. Always just enough juice (usually orange) to swallow our
pills. We were required to take allergy pills daily and also vitamins
although when we were small, the vitamins were chewables.

Lunch at home was usually Campbell's soup. But when we got older, we also
had canned chili, ravioli and sometimes something else like Beefaroni. We
also had a lot of tuna salad. My brother hated raw tomato so his would be
on a lettuce leaf and mine would be stuffed in a tomato. Perhaps a few
crackers or pretzels on the side. We also had cottage cheese (which was not
rationed) and fruit.

We were required to buy our lunches when in school. My mom believed in the
hot lunches until she finally tried one. Then we were no longer required.
I didn't mind the fish sticks or hamburger gravy, both of which were served
with mashed potato. Also the tacos which had beans and weird cheese inside.
I also liked the canned vegetables. But that was about it. There was
almost always a small roll which I did eat only because the meals seemed
very small and it was never enough food for me. I flat out will not eat
things that I don't like, even when hungry. Since I often didn't eat much
breakfast or most of my lunch, I always raced home, hungry. Exception was
5th grade. I then worked in the cafeteria so had all kinds of leeway with
food that year!

Dinner almost always had one or two canned vegetables and a salad. Although
the salad was often just iceberg. When I had my garden going, we would
often have a relish plate as well or fresh vegetables such as peas instead
of the canned. Sometimes my mom made soup and we had popcorn with that.
Sometimes she made stew or some kind of tough chewy beef or chicken with
noodles.

After school snacks were usually limited to a red Delicious apple, a big raw
carrot or pretzels. Maybe a small sliver of cheese too. We had popcorn
almost nightly before bed.

I did buy candy pretty much every week with my allowance. Usually the
chocolate covered fudge bar that Sheldon has mentioned as it was only 5
cents. For a time, my friend and I went to the movies every Saturday and I
got a small box of hard cherry flavor candies. In those days the offerings
at theaters were much smaller than they are now. But if I was careful, I
could make the box last through the double feature. We could also bring our
own food and drinks.

My mom liked to serve frozen blueberries (in their frozen state) for dessert
but my brother and I would not eat those. Sometimes we had other fruit but
I was never big on fruit. Mostly if there was dessert, it was fruit. But
mostly there was no dessert unless we had company.

My mom did a lot of cookie baking for a while and so did I but it seemed
that mostly we had packaged cookies. Vanilla wafers during the Weight
Watcher years. The cookies were mostly for my dad's lunch. We could eat
them if we asked. We could have two. One for each hand. But I rarely ate
them because they were rarely of my choosing. My dad also frequently
brought home stuff from the Hostess outlet that he would sneak to us when my
mom wasn't around. But I didn't like that stuff either. Once in a while I
would try a pie.

When we dined out, I liked to get a roast beef dinner but we didn't seem to
go to too many places that served that, especially as I got older. Or I
might get a steak. But if there was a salad bar, I would get just that. I
also loved soup so if what they were serving that day sounded good, I would
have that and maybe something like an English muffin. Once in a while I
would be allowed to get a sandwich so would get a tuna melt, Super bird
(turkey, cheese, bacon and veggies I think) or a grilled cheese with
veggies. Or a chili size which was a burger covered in chili, cheese and
onions. But I mostly just ate the chili part. My parents hated it when I
ordered sandwiches so I didn't get those often.

As a kid, I would not eat pizza, ever. Also would not eat most burgers or
fries. However, my dad would get me a McDonald's double burger and fries
when they got pizza. They didn't get pizza often. To me this was like
punishment or lesser punishment. I didn't like McDonald's either but at
least it didn't gag me. Turns out the problem there was the sausage and
black olives that they always got on the pizza. Although I love olives, I
don't like them heated. And I have an extreme dislike for greasy meats.

My mom loves candy and did seem to buy it often but in small amounts. Often
it was stuff that my brother and I didn't like. But if we did, she would
cut it up so we only got one bite each. We usually had friends or neighbor
kids over so whatever it was had to go around. And during the fall/winter
we always had nuts in the shell. We could snack on those but we generally
stopped after two or three because they made such a mess and were hard to
open.

For drinks, we had hot or cold tea. Mine was always unsweetened but I
sometimes had lemon. Also Wylers which was like Kool Aid but it had to be
sugar free, as was our soda. The soda was usually Shasta. It was bought by
the case and several cases each week. The entire shelf and floor under the
workbench was full of soda. We were only allowed regular for our Slushie
mugs. The diet wouldn't slush. But... We had to have other kids over. We
all took turns making them and each of us got one bite. My mom also pushed
us to drink milk with meals. I sometimes made hot chocolate for my brother
and his friends but I didn't like it.

I got my first apartment at age 19 and quickly went vegetarian for the most
part as I couldn't afford much in the way of food. I ate Carnation
breakfast bars when I had a coupon for them. They were very cheap with a
coupon and they contained vitamins. I had no money to buy vitamins. Or
boiled eggs or occasionally cottage cheese. That was my breakfast.

Lunch and dinner when I could afford it was a really big salad of whatever
greens I could procure. Same with whatever other raw veggies. Canned
beans, olives, cubes of cheese, nuts, and perhaps chopped boiled egg. Never
dressing but sometimes lemon. A roll or bread if I had it. I almost always
made bread from scratch (but did not make it often) but if I had a roll, it
would be a purchased one. By the time I got off work, the bakery nearby
marked whatever was left down to almost nothing. So I would sometimes be
able to get a roll.

I also made big pots of soup and big batches of pasta. I would portion this
out and freeze to take to work for lunch.

Dining out was a different story. Usually once a week when I was legally
old enough, or if I could manage to get in otherwise, my friends and I would
go to whatever happy hours we could go to that served free food. We took
turns ordering a drink. One of us would get a well (cheap cocktail) drink
and the rest would get coffee. Coffee is usually free here in bars and
cocktail lounges. Here would be one exception to my vegetarian meals.
Tacos were usually what they served for free but sometimes we could get
other things like cheese and vegetables. This would essentially be a
desperation meal for many of us so we would make do with what we could get.

On the weekends, we made the rounds of the stores that had free samples.
The health food department of one store put out lots of cheese. If we were
unable to get enough samples, then we might buy a few things like raw fruit
and vegetables, a chunk of cheese, small loaf of bread, then eat the stuff
in whoever's vehicle we used to get to the store.

We also ate a lot of popcorn at my house. My friends bought me a hot air
popper. Although I prefer pan popped, in those days, the oil was an added
expense. We drank coffee with this which I also made. We all took it
black. I also ate peanut butter sandwiches and canned peas for protein when
I could afford them.

Thankfully that phase of my life didn't last too long because I really was
hungry most of the time.

When I had more money, I began eating dinner out much of the time. Usually
soup or salad and usually vegetarian meals but I might sometimes get
something with tuna, turkey or even chicken soup. Salad bars were still
common and that was always my choice, provided that they had a lot of fresh
veggies and not just prepared salads.

As the years went by, I made new friends and stopped dining out as much.
Began cooking at home a lot more although I continued to eat a lot of soups
and salads. And three things came into play here. The push was for a low
fat diet and I took it to the extreme. So much so that I wasn't consuming
the recommended amount of fat. At that point in time, we could buy many
kinds of low fat cheese. Some tasted so good that I suspect they really
were not low fat. However, my mom drummed into me how cheese would make me
fat so I still rationed even that.

Breakfast was often muffins that I made with oats, whole wheat, egg whites,
applesauce, fresh or dried fruit and nuts. Those nuts were the main source
of my fat. And while I was still eating a lot of veggies, there was not
much protein and proportionally my diet was mainly carbs and limited
strictly to 1,000 calories per day. Some now think this kind of diet can
cause type 2 diabetes.

At this time, I also developed high BP and was put on a new class of med.
The Beta Blocker. Which has since been linked to diabetes but... It's sort
of a chicken and egg thing. Did this med cause the diabetes? Or is it that
people who developed high BP at around age 25 like me have the start of
Syndrome X which is a precursor of type 2 diabetes? Dunno.

Another cause of type 2 can be various psych. type meds and steroids, both
of which I think are over prescribed. I did not know of the connection with
steroids and I had many steroid shots. Twice for an allergic reaction to a
bee sting and many times in my nose for ear and sinus infections which I now
believe were caused by my food intolerances. Most likely dairy and egg.

I will now fast forward to my pregnancy. I was diagnosed with gestational
diabetes but I believe it was really type 2 as it came on quite early in my
pregnancy. But two things I did not know then. One being that reactive
hypoglycemia is thought to be a precursor to type 2 diabetes. I had this
for most of my life. And two, I had a lot of relatives on both sides of the
family who had diabetes. I only knew of one. But due to my advanced age
and a medical problem that runs in my husband's family, I had to have
genetic counseling. This meant getting medical histories from as many
relatives as I could.

Only then did they admit that they had diabetes or some long deceased person
in the family had it. They kept it hidden because of the stigma attached to
it. That is what they told me. And even today, lots of people still do
this. You may well know some diabetics. They just might not want you to
know. The perception of many is that we are nothing but fat pigs who ate
crap until we got diabetes. As you can see, I tried to eat what I thought
was healthy. But maybe it wasn't really so.

Some here have accused me of oversharing. I don't care. I have also heard
that some people are very private people. That's a foreign concept to me.
I figure I am who I am, and I am an open book. I see no reason to hide
things. Of course I do not go around mentioning to anyone I see that I am
disabled or have diabetes or whatever. But if the subject comes up, I will
admit to these things. I see no reason not to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:15:22 +1000, Bruce© >
wrote:

> Is the entire US diabetic? I don't know anyone who's diabetic, but in
> this newsgroup it seems to be the standard. What have you all been
> eating the past 50 years?

Too many carbs.

--

sf

REC: Chicken Pot Pie Stew Koko General Cooking 5 03-03-2007 04:23 AM
Chipotle-Chicken Stew [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2006 05:10 PM
Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken mary General Cooking 1 07-12-2004 07:04 PM
chicken stew Michael Snow General Cooking 18 19-04-2004 12:12 AM