Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roast pork?

My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?

I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
any of this ring a bell with anyone here??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
> simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
> would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
> for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
> no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
> this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
>
> I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
> no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
> some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
> any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya sauce..

Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.

My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics. Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-6,
> wrote:
> > My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
> > simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
> > would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
> > for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
> > no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
> > this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
> >
> > I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
> > no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
> > some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
> > any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

> I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or
> a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep
> it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper
> and seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the
> roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can
> roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it
> up for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at
> 325-350 degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight. The
> cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process
> or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often
> just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a
> sprinkle of soya sauce.
>
> Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I
> should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting
> meat.
>
> My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the
> critics. Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results. ====

Naw, it works ok. I tend to do that sort uncovered but mostly I do
things like a pork butt or shoulder in a crockpot and turn it to pulled
pork. It just works better here.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
> simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
> would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
> for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
> no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
> this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
>
> I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
> no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
> some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
> any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a
Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it from
burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and seasoned with
either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast half way through
the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it loosely covered with
aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last half hour or so to
brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours
depending on weight.
The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process or
serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just use hot
cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya sauce.

Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should
learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.

My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.
====

Sounds good to me, but then I might not be a worthy critic here. I know what
the poster is talking about because my grandma used to make something like
that that was so good, but I don't know how she did it and have never been
able to get it right either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message

> I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a
> Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it
> from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
> seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast
> half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it
> loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last
> half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2
> 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
> The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process
> or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just
> use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya
> sauce.
>
> Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should
> learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
>
> My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
> Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
'roast' is totally different to mine)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 3:59:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in message
>

> > I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a
> > Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it
> > from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
> > seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast
> > half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it
> > loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last
> > half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2
> > 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
> > The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process
> > or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just
> > use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya
> > sauce.
> >
> > Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should
> > learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
> >
> > My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
> > Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
> 'roast' is totally different to mine)

As is mine (except for "pot roast", which is a braise, but the name has
stuck and who am I to contract my grandmother?)

Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
and carve.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 3:59:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Roy" > wrote in message
>>

>> > I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a
>> > Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it
>> > from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
>> > seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast
>> > half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it
>> > loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the
>> > last
>> > half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for
>> > 2
>> > 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
>> > The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the
>> > process
>> > or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just
>> > use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of
>> > soya
>> > sauce.
>> >
>> > Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I
>> > should
>> > learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
>> >
>> > My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
>> > Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

>> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
>> 'roast' is totally different to mine)

> As is mine (except for "pot roast", which is a braise, but the name has
> stuck and who am I to contract my grandmother?)

Hah don't even think about it! )

> Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
> and carve.

Yes! I am only just coming to terms with calling a joint a 'roast' even if
you are going to boil it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:44:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
>simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
>would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
>for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
>no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
>this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
>
>I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
>no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
>some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
>any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

My mother always did a pork roast and a veal roast side by side for
Sunday dinner. Within the last year or so I saw several recipes from
the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both roasts?
My mother used salt and pepper, period.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 3:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
>

>> I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or
>> a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep
>> it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
>> seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the
>> roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can
>> roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up
>> for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350
>> degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
>> The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the
>> process or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I
>> often just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a
>> sprinkle of soya sauce.
>>
>> Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I
>> should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
>>
>> My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
>> Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
> 'roast' is totally different to mine)

Same here. Not the way I'd do it, but I don't knock what works.
Keeping the lid on helps keep the meat moist, the removing does give
some browning at the end.

Turkey was often done in those blue enameled roaster with the cover on
pretty much the same way.

When we got our Bertazzoni range with convection oven, the recommended
using higher temperatures with the meat on a rack. It works well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/6/2016 3:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Roy" > wrote in message
>>

>>> I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or
>>> a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep
>>> it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
>>> seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the
>>> roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can
>>> roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up
>>> for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350
>>> degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
>>> The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the
>>> process or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I
>>> often just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a
>>> sprinkle of soya sauce.
>>>
>>> Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I
>>> should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
>>>
>>> My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
>>> Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

>> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
>> 'roast' is totally different to mine)
>>

> Same here. Not the way I'd do it, but I don't knock what works. Keeping
> the lid on helps keep the meat moist, the removing does give some browning
> at the end.
>
> Turkey was often done in those blue enameled roaster with the cover on
> pretty much the same way.

I remember those

> When we got our Bertazzoni range with convection oven, the recommended
> using higher temperatures with the meat on a rack. It works well.

Excellent))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
>>> 'roast' is totally different to mine)
>>>

>> Same here. Not the way I'd do it, but I don't knock what works. Keeping
>> the lid on helps keep the meat moist, the removing does give some
>> browning
>> at the end.
>>
>> Turkey was often done in those blue enameled roaster with the cover on
>> pretty much the same way.

> I remember those
>
>> When we got our Bertazzoni range with convection oven, the recommended
>> using higher temperatures with the meat on a rack. It works well.

> Excellent))

Ooops I meant to add that my oven is convection too and I agree, it works
beautifully

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

Default A WEBTV'ER OF YORE ASKS ABOUT "Roast pork."

On 4/6/2016 11:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 4/6/2016 9:33 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
>> On 4/5/2016 1:44 PM, wrote:
>>> My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
>>> simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
>>> would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
>>> for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
>>> no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
>>> this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?
>>>
>>> I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
>>> no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
>>> some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
>>> any of this ring a bell with anyone here??
>>>

>> Well, it rings the dinner bell for me, dear heart. I oft recall the
>> lingering deliciousness of a fatass pork butt wafting throughout Sunset
>> Chateau, and dear Pleasance working merrily in the kitchen. Pleasance
>> revealed, in her micro-minnie, legs as long as boats may travel. Ah,
>> them were the good old daze.
>>

> Butt what about the man in the boat, was he saved?

In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, it was Osiris with the mighty dong
that caused the gods to become unseemly jealous of his manshank.
In the end he saved himself and all of Grease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

On 4/6/2016 12:42 PM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
> On 4/6/2016 11:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Well, it rings the dinner bell for me, dear heart. I oft recall the
>>> lingering deliciousness of a fatass pork butt wafting throughout Sunset
>>> Chateau, and dear Pleasance working merrily in the kitchen. Pleasance
>>> revealed, in her micro-minnie, legs as long as boats may travel. Ah,
>>> them were the good old daze.
>>>

>> Butt what about the man in the boat, was he saved?

> In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, it was Osiris with the mighty dong
> that caused the gods to become unseemly jealous of his manshank.
> In the end he saved himself and all of Grease.

But as the dwarfish spawn of the Nephilim his parts were rent asunder
and later used for halftime appetizers...

Seth belched but ultimately et on.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.food.cooking,alt.war.vietnam

On 4/6/2016 11:51 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 4/6/2016 12:42 PM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

>>> Butt what about the man in the boat, was he saved?

>> In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, it was Osiris with the mighty dong
>> that caused the gods to become unseemly jealous of his manshank.
>> In the end he saved himself and all of Grease.

> But as the dwarfish spawn of the Nephilim his parts were rent asunder
> and later used for halftime appetizers...
>
> Seth belched but ultimately et on.

I know a hawt babe named Nephilim. I really wanna dong 'er.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.food.cooking,alt.war.vietnam

On 4/6/2016 12:56 PM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

>>> In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, it was Osiris with the mighty dong
>>> that caused the gods to become unseemly jealous of his manshank.
>>> In the end he saved himself and all of Grease.

>> But as the dwarfish spawn of the Nephilim his parts were rent asunder
>> and later used for halftime appetizers...
>>
>> Seth belched but ultimately et on.
>>

> I know a hawt babe named Nephilim. I really wanna dong 'er.

You will need to get the GIANT sized cooze dam!

And no sleeping on the rocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Ophelia wrote:
>>Roy wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a
>> > Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it
>> > from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and
>> > seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast
>> > half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it
>> > loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last
>> > half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2
>> > 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
>> > The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process
>> > or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just
>> > use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya
>> > sauce.
>> >
>> > Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should
>> > learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.
>> >
>> > My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics.
>> > Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.

>> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
>> 'roast' is totally different to mine)

>As is mine (except for "pot roast", which is a braise, but the name has
>stuck and who am I to contract my grandmother?)
>
>Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
>and carve.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

This is one way I cook roast pork... works well with boneless pork
loins too, and I play with the marinade flavors; orange works well
(easiest is a couple spoons of orange marmalade).
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14769/chinese-roast-pork/
I don't care for what folks call "pulled pork". not at all... I think
it was born as a way to salvage overly braised meat... all one tastes
is sugary BBQ sauce, may as well serve a bottle with a straw... I
might like BBQ sauce from a Playtex Nurser! LOL
Wow, quite an assortment... gotta test em out with my Crystal Palace:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1w8rurd2pc_e
This should work:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Full-S...laytex+nursers
This looks interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Breast...laytex+nursers
This one too:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Natura...laytex+nursers
Here we go, perfect for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Nipple...laytex+nursers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 3:42:11 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
> >> 'roast' is totally different to mine)

> >As is mine (except for "pot roast", which is a braise, but the name has
> >stuck and who am I to contract my grandmother?)
> >
> >Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
> >and carve.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> This is one way I cook roast pork... works well with boneless pork
> loins too, and I play with the marinade flavors; orange works well
> (easiest is a couple spoons of orange marmalade).
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14769/chinese-roast-pork/
> I don't care for what folks call "pulled pork". not at all...

I like pulled pork; I just don't make it. I'm happy to go
to the barbecue joint and get it there.

With pork roast, I've always been content to season it
simply (salt, pepper, and garlic), and then the leftovers
can be dressed up in a variety of ways.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 8:59:50 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:

> My mother always did a pork roast and a veal roast side by side for
> Sunday dinner. Within the last year or so I saw several recipes from
> the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both roasts?
> My mother used salt and pepper, period.
> Janet US

No, it would one meat at a time only.

I snagged two small pork roasts today with just a
smidge of fat on them for flavor. At least I
have two to experiment on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>Janet B wrote:
>>
>> My mother always did a pork roast and a veal roast side by side for
>> Sunday dinner. Within the last year or so I saw several recipes from
>> the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both roasts?
>> My mother used salt and pepper, period.
>> Janet US
>>

>No, it would one meat at a time only.
>
>I snagged two small pork roasts today with just a
>smidge of fat on them for flavor. At least I
>have two to experiment on.

I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
$3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> > Janet B wrote:
> > >
> >> My mother always did a pork roast and a veal roast side by side for
> >> Sunday dinner. Within the last year or so I saw several recipes

> from >> the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both
> roasts? >> My mother used salt and pepper, period.
> >> Janet US
> > >

> > No, it would one meat at a time only.
> >
> > I snagged two small pork roasts today with just a
> > smidge of fat on them for flavor. At least I
> > have two to experiment on.

> I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
> the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
> picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
> $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
> fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
tell me how they compare?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> itsjoannotjoann wrote:

>> from >> the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both
>> roasts? >> My mother used salt and pepper, period.
>> > >
>> > No, it would one meat at a time only.
>> >
>> > I snagged two small pork roasts today with just a
>> > smidge of fat on them for flavor. At least I
>> > have two to experiment on.

>> I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
>> the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
>> picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
>> $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
>> fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

>I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
>tell me how they compare?

Very different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
> > the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
> > picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
> > $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
> > fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

> I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
> tell me how they compare?

Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
like the package".

Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 02:05:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
>> I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
>> tell me how they compare?

>Goya Adobo is pretty lame stuff that can easily be duplicated at home.
>Salt, garlic, onion, and maybe one or two other spices depending on
>the version. It's a total waste of money.
>
>-sw

I've noticed that about many Mexican food seasonings. They are mostly
salt. My neighbor brought me a bottle of absolutely wonderful stuff
from their wintering in Mexico. I checked with Amazon and I can get
the brand but not the specific stuff. If anyone knows. . .
it is:
Bufalo
Salsa
Chilpotle
Liquida
I wrote it out as it is on the liable. Normally I don't care for
chilpotle sauces, but this is good. Neither sweet nor salty and just
the right amount of bite.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 19:44:08 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>> > I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
>> > the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
>> > picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
>> > $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
>> > fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

>> I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
>> tell me how they compare?

>Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
>of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
>like the package".

Goya adobo and Penzeys adobo are very different products, more
different than the difference between night and day... Goya adobo is
mostly salt, Penzeys adobo contains no added salt, so use as much as
you like. Goya makes several kinds/flavors, all are mostly (I'd
estimate 98%) salt. I use Goya adobo too, but in place of salt... I
bought a twin pack of 28 ounce containers at BJs more than 10 years
ago, I just recently started the 2nd container.
http://www.goya.com/english/product_...ments/Adobo#31
Scroll down to check Goya adobo ingredients:
http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Purpose-S..._a_it &sr=8-1
Penzeys is salt-free and very different ingredients:
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal.../c-24/p-1/pd-s
>Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?

I do use Penzeys adobo very often but it really doesn't pay to make it
myself as the individual ingrediets will cost as much if not more...
and I don't know their proportions and it's not worth experimenting,
plus it's a potent spice blend so each dish uses relatively little...
a light dusting seasons a five pound pork roast, perhaps a 1/2 tsp...
I suggest using it sparingly at first and increase the amount as you
learn what it does... I've been using it for many years (the first
spice I bought when Penzeys first opened nearly 20 years ago, it's the
first spice in their catalogue) and I still use it lightly. Penzeys
adobo is excellent on pork, great on chicken, fantastic in chili made
with beef but I wouldn't use it on roast beef... very good on beans,
makes refried beans sing! The first Penzeys catalogue was four typed
pages (with an ancient manual typewriter) on pastel pink & blue paper
stapled in the upper left corner... was very crude with several typos.
I spotted an artical about Penzeys in the NYT Food Section. I phoned
them and they sent me their first catalogue. That's when I ordered
their adobo and a few other items, that's when I made the first post
about Penzeys to r.f.c.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 1:05 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> It's a total waste of money.
>
> -sw

You criminally STALK and ABUSE women, you sick little dwarfy man!

Here's what you did when you went all over the Usenet impersonating the
well-liked regular named "sf" and posting all her personal data on the
net against her will, including her:

* home address
* age
* cell phone number
* husband's name

etc.

YOU did that, you evil *******!

And then you had the hubris to actually GLOAT about in public saying:

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that you literally stalked poor Omelet, a local Auustin
favorite, right off the Usenet!

In your worst moment ever you actually begged her to KILL you:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Then after having your nose rubbed in your filthy criminal stalking you
came back with, not an apology, nor the slightest remorse, just this:

"The facebook group is much more pleasant."

But we all know that's only because you cower over there in mortal fear
of being booted by the FB admins.

You're _so done_ here virus, I mean really ****ing done.

I'm making you a project like no other, expect a lot more of your evil
abuse and hatred to be aired for all to see here.

And we both know there's a google archive full of your hatred of women
just waiting to be hung out on the virtual clothesline to dry.

Enjoy then, you rotten, worthless misogynistic *******!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 10:54 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm not too fond of it.

You criminally STALK and ABUSE women, you sick little dwarfy man!

Here's what you did when you went all over the Usenet impersonating the
well-liked regular named "sf" and posting all her personal data on the
net against her will, including her:

* home address
* age
* cell phone number
* husband's name

etc.

YOU did that, you evil *******!

And then you had the hubris to actually GLOAT about in public saying:

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that you literally stalked poor Omelet, a local Auustin
favorite, right off the Usenet!

In your worst moment ever you actually begged her to KILL you:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Then after having your nose rubbed in your filthy criminal stalking you
came back with, not an apology, nor the slightest remorse, just this:

"The facebook group is much more pleasant."

But we all know that's only because you cower over there in mortal fear
of being booted by the FB admins.

You're _so done_ here virus, I mean really ****ing done.

I'm making you a project like no other, expect a lot more of your evil
abuse and hatred to be aired for all to see here.

And we both know there's a google archive full of your hatred of women
just waiting to be hung out on the virtual clothesline to dry.

Enjoy then, you rotten, worthless misogynistic *******!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:54:21 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:34:41 -0600, Janet B wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 02:05:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Goya Adobo is pretty lame stuff that can easily be duplicated at home.
>>>Salt, garlic, onion, and maybe one or two other spices depending on
>>>the version. It's a total waste of money.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> I've noticed that about many Mexican food seasonings. They are mostly
>> salt. My neighbor brought me a bottle of absolutely wonderful stuff
>> from their wintering in Mexico. I checked with Amazon and I can get
>> the brand but not the specific stuff. If anyone knows. . .
>> it is:
>> Bufalo
>> Salsa
>> Chilpotle
>> Liquida
>> I wrote it out as it is on the liable. Normally I don't care for
>> chilpotle sauces, but this is good. Neither sweet nor salty and just
>> the right amount of bite.

>Those are the thin narrow bottles. I see it at practically all the
>Mexican markets and some regular grocers here. I know it can be hard
>to find in some areas because I've sent the bottles to a couple people
>here over the years. Also comes in a jalapeno version.
>
>I'm not too fond of it. I think it tastes like smoked tobacco juice
>(which is how I think a lot of chipotle tastes).
>
>Amazon has it he
>http://www.amazon.com/Bufalo-110-439.../dp/B0000GGHNI
>
>Looks like they changed the design of the label since I've last bought
>it but it should be the same stuff.
>
>Whole lineup:
>http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_hps_b...d_i=8052504011
>
>-sw

I did look at Amazon yesterday. Mine is not labeled picante.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 4:44:11 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> > > I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
> > > the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
> > > picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
> > > $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
> > > fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

> > I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
> > tell me how they compare?

> Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
> of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
> like the package".
>
> Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?
>
> --
>
> sf

I had some pork adobo at a plate lunch place yesterday. Over here, adobo means in the Filipino style, not the Mexican. Filipino style adobo has shoyu, garlic, bay leaf, vinegar, and black pepper, flavor components. I like the flavors to be on the intense side but this was some pretty mild stuff. I guess it was Chinese style pork adobo because it had 5 spice powder in there.. We ate this at a restaurant outside of Don Quijote in Honolulu. After that we went inside. I quite enjoyed myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjmlAJteq4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 2:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 4:44:11 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:

>>> I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
>>> tell me how they compare?

>> Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
>> of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
>> like the package".
>>
>> Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> I had some pork adobo at a plate lunch place yesterday. Over here, adobo means in the Filipino style, not the
> Mexican. Filipino style adobo has shoyu, garlic, bay leaf, vinegar, and black pepper, flavor components. I like
> the flavors to be on the intense side but this was some pretty mild stuff. I guess it was Chinese style pork
> adobo because it had 5 spice powder in there. We ate this at a restaurant outside of Don Quijote in Honolulu.
> After that we went inside. I quite enjoyed myself.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjmlAJteq4

Oh yes!

http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/07/t...ken-adobo.html

Ingredients

1 kilo/2.2 lbs of either chicken or pork* cutlets or a combination
1/2 (up to 3/4) cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/3 (up to 1/2) cup soy sauce
1/2 Head of Garlic, peeled and crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons, Whole Black Peppercorns or to taste (sometimes I use
ground)
2 Bay leaves
1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, or to taste (optional)

*If using pork, either use Pork Belly or Pork shoulder.

Place the meat and the rest of the ingredients in a large pan. Using
medium heat, bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat slightly then cook
uncovered for about twenty minutes to half an hour. This is to allow the
vinegar to cook. Watch carefully as it boils to ensure that the liquid
does not dry up.

Cover and then continue to simmer until the meat is tender about an hour
or so. When the meat is already tender, sprinkle the brown sugar and mix
thoroughly. It will just add a little bit of sweetness to the adobo and
will also give that delicious caramelized look. You can eat the adobo at
this point or wait one day for even better flavor.

If you want extra flavor and prefer the dry adobo, take out the meat and
fry them quickly in a little oil. Use the remaining sauce to pour on
your rice, if you like. Enjoy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 11:12:34 AM UTC-10, carnal asada wrote:
> On 4/8/2016 2:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
> >> of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
> >> like the package".
> >>
> >> Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> sf

> > I had some pork adobo at a plate lunch place yesterday. Over here, adobo means in the Filipino style, not the
> > Mexican. Filipino style adobo has shoyu, garlic, bay leaf, vinegar, and black pepper, flavor components. I like
> > the flavors to be on the intense side but this was some pretty mild stuff. I guess it was Chinese style pork
> > adobo because it had 5 spice powder in there. We ate this at a restaurant outside of Don Quijote in Honolulu.
> > After that we went inside. I quite enjoyed myself.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjmlAJteq4
> >

> Oh yes!
>
> http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/07/t...ken-adobo.html
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 kilo/2.2 lbs of either chicken or pork* cutlets or a combination
> 1/2 (up to 3/4) cup vinegar
> 1/3 cup water
> 1/3 (up to 1/2) cup soy sauce
> 1/2 Head of Garlic, peeled and crushed
> 1 1/2 teaspoons, Whole Black Peppercorns or to taste (sometimes I use
> ground)
> 2 Bay leaves
> 1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, or to taste (optional)
>
> *If using pork, either use Pork Belly or Pork shoulder.
>
> Place the meat and the rest of the ingredients in a large pan. Using
> medium heat, bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat slightly then cook
> uncovered for about twenty minutes to half an hour. This is to allow the
> vinegar to cook. Watch carefully as it boils to ensure that the liquid
> does not dry up.
>
> Cover and then continue to simmer until the meat is tender about an hour
> or so. When the meat is already tender, sprinkle the brown sugar and mix
> thoroughly. It will just add a little bit of sweetness to the adobo and
> will also give that delicious caramelized look. You can eat the adobo at
> this point or wait one day for even better flavor.
>
> If you want extra flavor and prefer the dry adobo, take out the meat and
> fry them quickly in a little oil. Use the remaining sauce to pour on
> your rice, if you like. Enjoy!

That's pretty much how I do it except for the brown sugar sprinkle. I'll use about 5 bay leaves. I like using whole peppercorns but the wife and kids don't like it when I do - wimps! It can be served wet or dry - for dry adobo you reduce the liquid until it starts splattering and the sauce starts caramelizing. I always make mine dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> > > I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop
> > > into the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork
> > > roasts I picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4
> > > 1/2 pounds/ $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and
> > > waiting in the fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

> > I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can
> > you tell me how they compare?

> Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
> of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
> like the package".
>
> Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?

Havent tried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:12:27 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

> http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/07/t...ken-adobo.html
>
> Ingredients
>
> 1 kilo/2.2 lbs of either chicken or pork* cutlets or a combination
> 1/2 (up to 3/4) cup vinegar
> 1/3 cup water
> 1/3 (up to 1/2) cup soy sauce
> 1/2 Head of Garlic, peeled and crushed
> 1 1/2 teaspoons, Whole Black Peppercorns or to taste (sometimes I use
> ground)
> 2 Bay leaves
> 1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, or to taste (optional)

That's vinegar heavy, so if using cider or distilled - keep the
vinegar and soy to the same proportions and taste for balance, one
can't overwhelm the other. Then add one part of water. Bay leaves
are not optional, they must be used for best flavor.

Don't use sugar. Kekap manis is not the type of soy sauce to use for
Filipino style adobo.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2016 1:58 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:12:27 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:
>
>> http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/07/t...ken-adobo.html
>>
>> Ingredients
>>
>> 1 kilo/2.2 lbs of either chicken or pork* cutlets or a combination
>> 1/2 (up to 3/4) cup vinegar
>> 1/3 cup water
>> 1/3 (up to 1/2) cup soy sauce
>> 1/2 Head of Garlic, peeled and crushed
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons, Whole Black Peppercorns or to taste (sometimes I use
>> ground)
>> 2 Bay leaves
>> 1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, or to taste (optional)

> That's vinegar heavy, so if using cider or distilled - keep the
> vinegar and soy to the same proportions and taste for balance, one
> can't overwhelm the other.

That's a sound observation.

> Then add one part of water.

What I like to do is add a half can of 7UP!

> Bay leaves
> are not optional, they must be used for best flavor.

100% agree.

> Don't use sugar. Kekap manis is not the type of soy sauce to use for
> Filipino style adobo.

The 7UP never fails me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:08:08 -0600, some land and cattleprods
> wrote:

> On 4/9/2016 1:58 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:12:27 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.manilaspoon.com/2013/07/t...ken-adobo.html
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >>
> >> 1 kilo/2.2 lbs of either chicken or pork* cutlets or a combination
> >> 1/2 (up to 3/4) cup vinegar
> >> 1/3 cup water
> >> 1/3 (up to 1/2) cup soy sauce
> >> 1/2 Head of Garlic, peeled and crushed
> >> 1 1/2 teaspoons, Whole Black Peppercorns or to taste (sometimes I use
> >> ground)
> >> 2 Bay leaves
> >> 1-2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, or to taste (optional)

> > That's vinegar heavy, so if using cider or distilled - keep the
> > vinegar and soy to the same proportions and taste for balance, one
> > can't overwhelm the other.

> That's a sound observation.
>
> > Then add one part of water.

> What I like to do is add a half can of 7UP!

Heh. That's going Hawaiian style.

> > Bay leaves
> > are not optional, they must be used for best flavor.

> 100% agree.
>
> > Don't use sugar. Kekap manis is not the type of soy sauce to use for
> > Filipino style adobo.

> The 7UP never fails me.

Still too Indonesian/Korean type sweet for Filipino style adobo.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2016 5:32 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:08:08 -0600, some land and cattleprods
> > wrote:

>>> That's vinegar heavy, so if using cider or distilled - keep the
>>> vinegar and soy to the same proportions and taste for balance, one
>>> can't overwhelm the other.

>> That's a sound observation.
>>
>>> Then add one part of water.

>> What I like to do is add a half can of 7UP!

> Heh. That's going Hawaiian style.
>
>>> Bay leaves
>>> are not optional, they must be used for best flavor.

>> 100% agree.
>>
>>> Don't use sugar. Kekap manis is not the type of soy sauce to use for
>>> Filipino style adobo.

>> The 7UP never fails me.
>>

> Still too Indonesian/Korean type sweet for Filipino style adobo.

I forget to mention the Dr. Pepper marinade I sometimes deploy...

;-)

Pork roast elaich General Cooking 22 13-10-2008 03:44 AM
Best pork roast ever Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 21 16-05-2006 06:39 PM
roast pork Kathy in NZ General Cooking 1 09-12-2005 01:19 AM
My Pork Roast :-) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 58 17-11-2004 05:38 AM
pork roast JD General Cooking 5 24-10-2004 12:04 AM