Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That is too broad a question to be answered in any meaningful way. You
need to be more specific, either by food group or by whether you pay
attention to the "best if used by" date or some other measure.

That said, I keep cooked meat only 3 days because I have a fussy stomach. The same
goes for anything with cooked eggs. I keep anything with uncooked egg, like leftover
batter, only overnight. I keep canned food (stored in a plastic container) up
to a week. Anything else...if it looks or smells even slightly "off," out it goes.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 06:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> You
>need to be more specific

I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.

I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

William wrote:

> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>
> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

William wrote:

> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.

Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
That's almost 7 months ago.

What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.

Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
buy another on sale for only $1.50.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 7:00:43 AM UTC-6, BigC300 wrote:
> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>
> William

Expiration dates are basically for the sellers/manufacturers of food products. Notice many are called "best sold by" dates! Meaningless as far as food integrity is concerned, most times. Just means it's the best estimate by which a food product would not come up to whatever standards the seller/manufacturere wants it to be. I use my own best judgement as to whether a food product is fit to put in my mouth, thank you very much!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 10:24:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>William wrote:
>>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

>Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
>That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.
>
>Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
>cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
>That's almost 7 months ago.
>
>What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
>
>Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
>hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
>trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
>buy another on sale for only $1.50.

I'd have rolled it in bird seed and slapped it on a tree branch. I
never trash any foods the critters can eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:27:11 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.
>
>-sw

sounds like a plan to me

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:

>What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>
>William

I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
has to be used.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William wrote:
>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

> I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.
>
> -sw

yep. I think that was the consensus each of the many times a thread like
this has appeared.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>>What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>>refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>
>>William

>I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>has to be used.
>
>Doris

I do that too for the kinds of things you mentioned.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:00:43 AM UTC-4, BigC300 wrote:
> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>
> William

By guess and by golly:

When did I cook this?
Is it acidic?
Does it look or smell funny?
And, occasionally:
Aw, hell. It's yogurt. How could I tell if it's gone bad?

I'll keep meat a week, and stuff like salsa or
spaghetti sauce until it's fuzzy on top. Generally,
though, things just get eaten up before it comes to
that.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:27:11 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I eat stuff before it goes bad. And if it goes bad I throw it away.
>>
>>-sw

> sounds like a plan to me
>
> William

And to me, same here. I very seldomly have anything go bad.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 9:47 AM, William wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 06:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> You
>> need to be more specific

> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>
> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?
>

> William

I've kept cooked bacon for two week with no problem. I do the same
thing, cooking it on the weekend but just reheating on work days. If
you freeze it, it will still heat in 30 seconds or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 10:24 AM, Gary wrote:

> Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
> cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
> That's almost 7 months ago.
>
> What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
> hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
> trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
> buy another on sale for only $1.50.

No mold? I'd use it. I'd used it a few months past the date already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 11:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/5/2016 10:24 AM, Gary wrote:
>

>> Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
>> cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
>> That's almost 7 months ago.
>>
>> What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
>>
>> Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
>> hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
>> trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
>> buy another on sale for only $1.50.
>>

> No mold? I'd use it. I'd used it a few months past the date already.

I cooked some not-so-fresh soba noodles last night. It has spots of mold
but that didn't seem to affect the taste. If I didn't have a whole
crapload of food in the house, I wouldn't have any problems with moldy food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 12:55 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>
>> William

> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
> has to be used.
>
> Doris

Do you adhere to the 2 weeks? We've used it after four with no
problems. Usually loaded with salt so it keeps well enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 4/5/2016 10:24 AM, Gary wrote:
>

> > Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
> > cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
> > That's almost 7 months ago.
> >
> > What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
> >
> > Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
> > hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
> > trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
> > buy another on sale for only $1.50.
> >

> No mold? I'd use it. I'd used it a few months past the date already.

Many of thse dates are actually 'best used by' (for taste or a minor
drop in nutrition) and many are artificial. Grin, my salt has an
expiration on it. Really?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 10:06 AM, Gary wrote:
> William wrote:
>>
>> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
>> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
>> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>>
>> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

> Yes.

That's the short and also my answer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I write with a Sharpie, I write on masking tape stuck to the container lid.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>
> William

I mostly try for no leftovers. If there are any, I plan them. For
instance, knowing that I won't be home and leaving some cooked food in there
for my husband. If I make a big pot of soup, I try to make sure it is eaten
in 4-5 days. I try to buy lunch meat in small amounts unless I plan to use
a lot at once. It's cheaper to buy the huge package at Costco but if we
can't eat it within 7 days of opening, it goes bad.

As far as rotating, I check the dates before I put things in the fridge or
on the shelf. Just because I purchased it today doesn't mean that it has a
better date than what is already there. Older things go to the front or the
top if there is a stack. I also have large, clear trays that slide out and
I try to put all like foods in there. Really makes things easy.

For shelf stable stuff that is soon to go bad, I put it to the left of the
stove. Currently there is some pizza sauce. I will make pizza soon but I
have ground beef to be used by then 9th so I will make a pot of chili soon.

Then again, in this house, pizza can be made at any time. Doesn't
necessarily count as a meal. Husband will eat it at any time.

If I do get into a situation where I have a lot of foods to be used up in a
short period of time, (like when there is illness and we're not eating
normally), then I will just make myself a note, planning out the meals in
the order in which I need to make them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 06:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> You
>>need to be more specific

> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>
> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

Toss that bacon. You could have put it in the freezer and it would have
been fine. I buy cooked bacon all the time. Needs to be used or frozen
within 7 days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> William wrote:
>>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

> Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
> That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.
>
> Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
> cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
> That's almost 7 months ago.
>
> What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
> hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
> trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
> buy another on sale for only $1.50.

I started buying cream cheese at the business Costco in individual packets.

Why? I bought a small container of some kind. Had been opened but not
expired. Needed a small amount for some savory recipe. Can't remember what
it was now. Wound up making something else because the cream cheese was
moldy.

Cream cheese is one thing that I never know how much will get eaten. The
other two might wolf down a lot of it in a week or might not touch it for
months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 17:42:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/5/2016 12:55 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>>
>>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>>
>>> William

>> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>> has to be used.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Do you adhere to the 2 weeks? We've used it after four with no
>problems. Usually loaded with salt so it keeps well enough.

I usually buy the Campbells stuff. I don't religiously adhere to the 2
week limit, but if it goes t 15-16 days, I try to think up something
to use it in.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:15:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/5/2016 12:55 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>>
>>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>>
>>> William

>> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>> has to be used.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Aren't Sharpies wonderful?! I mark my freezer containers (various
>shapes and sizes, some portioned) for homemade leftovers with date and
>content information. It just makes sense.

Me too. And I also use them to mark my hard-boiled eggs with an
"H".Otherwise, my husband would be attempting to fry them.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:15:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>>> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>>> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>>> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>>> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>>> has to be used.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>>

>>Aren't Sharpies wonderful?! I mark my freezer containers (various
>>shapes and sizes, some portioned) for homemade leftovers with date and
>>content information. It just makes sense.

> Me too. And I also use them to mark my hard-boiled eggs with an
> "H".Otherwise, my husband would be attempting to fry them.

I no longer make hard boiled as they don't get eaten. But when I did make
them, I tinted them. I'd get the egg dye when it was marked down to next to
nothing. If I didn't have that, then I'd use food coloring. Didn't need to
be a deep color so I could just put a tiny bit into the boiling water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 10:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
>> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
>> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>>
>> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

> Toss that bacon. You could have put it in the freezer and it would have
> been fine. I buy cooked bacon all the time. Needs to be used or frozen
> within 7 days.

BS. Bacon is loaded with salt and nitrates. I've often had it 10 to 14
days and it is OK. The 7 days was something written by a lawyer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/5/2016 11:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I no longer make hard boiled as they don't get eaten. But when I did
> make them, I tinted them. I'd get the egg dye when it was marked down
> to next to nothing. If I didn't have that, then I'd use food coloring.
> Didn't need to be a deep color so I could just put a tiny bit into the
> boiling water.

That's a good idea. I've had them confused a couple of times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 8:47:17 AM UTC-5, BigC300 wrote:

> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>
> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?
>

> William

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:

> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

I buy food for 3 days which usually expands to 5 and try not to cook
more than will be consumed by dinner the following day. At least
that's the plan. Very little goes into the garbage and there are no
science experiments in my refrigerator.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:47:04 -0400, William > wrote:

> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>
> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

I would have put that in the freezer. It's easy enough to freeze in
2-3 day batches or put them on a sheet pan to freeze individually and
store in a gallon bag.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>
> >What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
> >refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
> >
> >William

> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
> has to be used.

Good idea! I need to get better about marking dates. I try to
remember to label my baking soda and baking powder because I use them
so slowly, but often forget.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/5/2016 10:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
>>> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
>>> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>>>
>>> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?

>> Toss that bacon. You could have put it in the freezer and it would have
>> been fine. I buy cooked bacon all the time. Needs to be used or frozen
>> within 7 days.

> BS. Bacon is loaded with salt and nitrates. I've often had it 10 to 14
> days and it is OK. The 7 days was something written by a lawyer.

I must disagree. I buy it cooked all the time but once I failed to put it
in the freezer after it was opened. It was slimy and green at 10 days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>

> I buy food for 3 days which usually expands to 5 and try not to cook
> more than will be consumed by dinner the following day. At least
> that's the plan. Very little goes into the garbage and there are no
> science experiments in my refrigerator.

That would be doable here except for the winter. Although we haven't been
snowed in for several years, it can happen. So I need to keep a stockpile
for winter. Also with things that I buy at Costco like pasta, there will be
far more than we can eat in that length of time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 23:44:27 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:47:04 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> I fried bacon ten days ago and stored it in a Ziplock bag in the
>> refrigerator. It still looks good and smells ok. I like to take out a
>> couple of strips and heat 30 seconds in the Microwave.
>>
>> I wonder if I should store it cooked in the freezer to keep it longer?
>>

>I would have put that in the freezer. It's easy enough to freeze in
>2-3 day batches or put them on a sheet pan to freeze individually and
>store in a gallon bag.

I'm going to have to start doing that. We used to eat bacon. Now I
only use a couple of slices for something and the rest goes rancid
before I get back to it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 23:57:17 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:55:51 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>>
>> >What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> >refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>> >
>> >William

>> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>> has to be used.
>>

>Good idea! I need to get better about marking dates. I try to
>remember to label my baking soda and baking powder because I use them
>so slowly, but often forget.

I get baking soda and baking powder in the bulk section at Winco.
Buying that way makes it so much easier to keep everything fresh and
it is less expensive.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 00:50:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:00:32 -0400, William > wrote:
>>
>>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?
>>>

>> I buy food for 3 days which usually expands to 5 and try not to cook
>> more than will be consumed by dinner the following day. At least
>> that's the plan. Very little goes into the garbage and there are no
>> science experiments in my refrigerator.

>That would be doable here except for the winter. Although we haven't been
>snowed in for several years, it can happen. So I need to keep a stockpile
>for winter. Also with things that I buy at Costco like pasta, there will be
>far more than we can eat in that length of time.

Dried pasta will last for a long, long time, (years?). No need to
throw it out unless you are talking about leftover cooked pasta.
Leftover naked cooked pasta is a wonderful thing. It's good hot or
cold, salad or main dish and depending on the amount it is good for
lunch or dinner. So many ways to dress it up
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-06 10:07 AM, Janet B wrote:

> I get baking soda and baking powder in the bulk section at Winco.
> Buying that way makes it so much easier to keep everything fresh and
> it is less expensive.

I find a lot of things much cheaper in bulk. Last week I got enough
oregano, dried parsley and dried mint to refill my little metal
canisters and the total was 65 cents. They would have been at least $3
each to buy them in packages in the grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Many of thse dates are actually 'best used by' (for taste or a minor
> drop in nutrition) and many are artificial. Grin, my salt has an
> expiration on it. Really?

OMG...how funny is that? I just looked and you are correct.
My salt was created millions of years ago and it expires
in just 4 years from now. lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Gary, it is fairly obvious when any dairy product is bad. If you throw out the
> cream cheese just because of the date, you might as well throw $1.50 in the
> trash instead.

I agree with you, Nancy2. It looked and smelled fine yesterday but I
did toss it right into the trash. A dairy product almost 7 months out
of date was a bit much for me to consider using.

Next time I buy cream cheese it will to be used right away.