Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 4/8/2016 4:05 PM, Sky wrote:
>> Perhaps bove should become a stand-up comedienne!

> Perhaps you should be put in a commercial dehydrator and use to make
> vinegar salt out of.

Well, I for one, won't purchase that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 4:06 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:08:30 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Apparently you missed where I was specifically replying to sf's remark about
>>> buying food for three days at a time. And pasta would be but one example of
>>> things you can buy at Costco that would come in quantities larger than that.
>>> Unless of course, you have a very large family. For us, half a bag of
>>> Costco pasta is a meal plus perhaps one serving leftover.
>>>
>>> What I was saying was that if you buy pasta there, unless your family is
>>> large, you'll get more than three day's worth.

>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>> Janet US

> Julie is very literal in a black & white fashion. Buy a pound of dry
> pasta, and of course you need to cook all of it at once.

Bingo! : )

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2016-04-08 5:24 PM, Sky wrote:
>> On 4/8/2016 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Yet, bove readily promotes quack health advice and other so-called
>> remedies and more-than-questionable web-links and their sources! After
>> all, bove consults pet-psychics to allegedly discover a raccoon
>> allegedly abducted her missing cat! Yeah, that's bove's story and she
>> believes it! Go figure.
>>

> Yes, it is not the first time that she has been caught in a lie.
> Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
> Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
> announcement.

Where is the lie, Dave? And what health advice do I promote? I don't.
It's not my business to tell others what to do. I may mention what I do,
but that doesn't mean that I think it will work for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh and see my Italian last name? I do know pasta.

> You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
> Italian name and background?

I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
serve it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:01:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>>> Janet US

>>OMG! Just STFU you freaking idiot! How in the world could I possibly
>>know
>>how much pasta another person will eat? My psychic powers are not that
>>good. At some point in time there will be leftovers!
>>
>>You don't know how to read at all. Do you? My reply was to sf who said
>>that she only buys food for three days at a time. The freaking pasta was
>>just an example. I was trying to point out that if you buy some things at
>>Costco like I do, you'll have to buy more than you can eat in three days
>>unless you have a really huge family or are cooking for a crowd.
>>
>>There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>>
>>I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
>>piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
>>holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow. Yellow!
>>Squee!
>>
>>Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even
>>problems
>>for me?

> I think your thyroid problem is acting up; certainly you are too old
> for PMS. I do buy all my pasta at Costco. If you'll go back and read
> my original reply there was never any need for you to fly off the
> handle. I didn't criticize you or make fun of you. I made a post
> just as I would have for anyone in this group. I suggest it is time
> for you to stop digging that hole. Don't bother with another round of
> hysterics unless you are entertained by reading them yourself.
> Janet US

Hysterics? *sigh*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 5:01:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> <Some snippage>
>
>> There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>>
>> I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
>> piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
>> holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow.
>> Yellow!
>> Squee!
>>
>> Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even
>> problems
>> for me?

> Holly Moley Batman...those pots are $80.00 up here. That'll be the day I
> would pay that much for a genuine "RACHAEL RAY" pasta pot. You must be
> rollin' in dough.
> ====

Mine didn't cost nearly that much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:07:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Oh and see my Italian last name? I do know pasta.

>> You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
>> Italian name and background?

>I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
>serve it.

I'm sure you do - just like most anyone else here on RFC... even
those with non-Italian names.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/8/2016 4:06 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 07:08:30 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:49:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> It isn't necessary to cook more dry pasta than is needed for a meal.
>>> You simply put the unused portion away for another meal. The above
>>> sounds exactly like you are saying that one package of Costco pasta is
>>> more than your family is able to eat at one time therefore you can't
>>> use it. That is exactly why I replied as I did the first time.
>>> Janet US

>> Julie is very literal in a black & white fashion. Buy a pound of dry
>> pasta, and of course you need to cook all of it at once.
>>

> Bingo! : )

Stop making stuff up with your RBF!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:07:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
>>> Italian name and background?

>>I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
>>serve it.

> I'm sure you do - just like most anyone else here on RFC... even
> those with non-Italian names.

So you can see why I resent being told what I was told, as if I were an
idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2016-04-08 5:24 PM, Sky wrote:
>>> On 4/8/2016 3:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Yet, bove readily promotes quack health advice and other so-called
>>> remedies and more-than-questionable web-links and their sources! After
>>> all, bove consults pet-psychics to allegedly discover a raccoon
>>> allegedly abducted her missing cat! Yeah, that's bove's story and she
>>> believes it! Go figure.
>>>

>> Yes, it is not the first time that she has been caught in a lie.
>> Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
>> Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
>> announcement.

> Where is the lie, Dave? And what health advice do I promote? I don't.
> It's not my business to tell others what to do. I may mention what I do,
> but that doesn't mean that I think it will work for you.

I think a good ass kicking would work for him, but since he never leaves his
computer, waiting for a chance to bully you through others, the chances are
small of that happening...damnit.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, it is not the first time that she has been caught in a lie.
>>> Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
>>> Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
>>> announcement.

>> Where is the lie, Dave? And what health advice do I promote? I don't.
>> It's not my business to tell others what to do. I may mention what I do,
>> but that doesn't mean that I think it will work for you.

> I think a good ass kicking would work for him, but since he never leaves
> his computer, waiting for a chance to bully you through others, the
> chances are small of that happening...damnit.

I don't want to take the chance of injuring my foot, either!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:14:57 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

> And I'd use manteca instead of beef tallow, you?

I haven't made my own masa in decades, because I know where to buy the
amount I need premade and I don't want to know what the ingredients
are. In this case, ignorance is bliss. The most I do to prepared
masa is add a little chicken stock, but to be perfectly honest - I
haven't even done that in years.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, it is not the first time that she has been caught in a lie.
>>> Apparently there are a few dullards here who think that pointing out
>>> Bove's lies is stalking. I think of it more as a public service
>>> announcement.

>> Where is the lie, Dave? And what health advice do I promote? I don't.
>> It's not my business to tell others what to do. I may mention what I do,
>> but that doesn't mean that I think it will work for you.

> I think a good ass kicking would work for him, but since he never leaves
> his computer, waiting for a chance to bully you through others, the
> chances are small of that happening...damnit.

+1
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 7:01:23 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
> piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a pot
> holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow. Yellow!
> Squee!

First-world problem.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 6:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On 4/8/2016 4:05 PM, Sky wrote:
>>> Perhaps bove should become a stand-up comedienne!

>> Perhaps you should be put in a commercial dehydrator and use to make
>> vinegar salt out of.

> Well, I for one, won't purchase that!

LOl!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 7:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
>> On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 5:01:23 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> <Some snippage>
>>
>>> There is no pasta problem in this house. None. Never was.
>>>
>>> I did however have to get a new Rachael Ray pasta pot as the protective
>>> piece on one handle cracked off. And yes, I know I could have used a
>>> pot
>>> holder but I felt it was time for a new one. This one is yellow.
>>> Yellow!
>>> Squee!
>>>
>>> Now... Are you going to drum up any more problems that aren't even
>>> problems
>>> for me?

>> Holly Moley Batman...those pots are $80.00 up here. That'll be the day
>> I would pay that much for a genuine "RACHAEL RAY" pasta pot. You must
>> be rollin' in dough.
>> ====

> Mine didn't cost nearly that much.

Shush...roy doesn't know about ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACHEL-RAY-3...AOSw~bFWJA0 0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2016 7:15 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:07:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> You're a pasta expert simply because you married some guy with an
>>> Italian name and background?

>> I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
>> serve it.

> I'm sure you do - just like most anyone else here on RFC... even
> those with non-Italian names.

I need to see video of you being torn to shreds by hyenas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2016 1:47 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:14:57 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:
>
>> And I'd use manteca instead of beef tallow, you?

> I haven't made my own masa in decades, because I know where to buy the
> amount I need premade and I don't want to know what the ingredients
> are. In this case, ignorance is bliss. The most I do to prepared
> masa is add a little chicken stock, but to be perfectly honest - I
> haven't even done that in years.

I meant to coat the muffin tin with, similar to what one does makign
Yorky puddings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:56:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:07:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>>I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
>>>serve it.

>> I'm sure you do - just like most anyone else here on RFC... even
>> those with non-Italian names.

>So you can see why I resent being told what I was told, as if I were an
>idiot.

Well, I might if I backtracked through the thread... something tells
me it wouldn't be worth the time though...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:56:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 18:07:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I'm sure you do - just like most anyone else here on RFC... even
>>> those with non-Italian names.

>>So you can see why I resent being told what I was told, as if I were an
>>idiot.

> Well, I might if I backtracked through the thread... something tells
> me it wouldn't be worth the time though...

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:05:17 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:

> On 4/9/2016 1:47 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:14:57 -0600, carnal asada > wrote:
> >
> >> And I'd use manteca instead of beef tallow, you?

> > I haven't made my own masa in decades, because I know where to buy the
> > amount I need premade and I don't want to know what the ingredients
> > are. In this case, ignorance is bliss. The most I do to prepared
> > masa is add a little chicken stock, but to be perfectly honest - I
> > haven't even done that in years.
> >

> I meant to coat the muffin tin with, similar to what one does makign
> Yorky puddings.

Not necessary. There's plenty of fat in masa, so think of it like pie
dough. You don't grease your pie pan before putting the dough in...
or do you?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:00:18 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Gary, it is fairly obvious when any dairy product is bad. If you throw out the
> cream cheese just because of the date, you might as well throw $1.50 in the
> trash instead.

Gary votes against his own self interest. He's used to throwing away the money.

> N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-09 7:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:51:54 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>> But you didn't learn it from your husband ; so his Italian name is
>> irrelevant
>>

> I think she learned what she knows from her MIL, but don't quote me on
> that.

I thought she had always demonstrated an incredible resistance
to learning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:51:54 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >, says...
>> >
>> > "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> > news >> > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:58:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I didn't say that I was an expert. But I do know how to make, cook and
>> > serve it.

>> But you didn't learn it from your husband ; so his Italian name is
>> irrelevant
>>

> I think she learned what she knows from her MIL, but don't quote me on
> that.

I was actually self taught on the pasta. Had been making my own since I was
a child. However, my MIL told me that my ravioli wasn't authentic because I
put ground beef in it and Italians only use cheese. I had to laugh. I
don't think she ever made it from scratch but bought the frozen with cheese.
My FIL was also very impressed with my leftover spaghetti that I fried and
sprinkled with powdered sugar. I've been making that since I was a child
too. Can sprinkle with salt if you want a savory snack. I thought this was
commonly eaten but in talking to people about it, it seems not.

I did learn some things from my MIL and also my FIL's friend who owned a
restaurant. But I already knew how to make and cook pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-04-10 8:35 AM, wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 22:09:42 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> Anytime the USA tries to bring in universal health care the insurance
> companies spring into action. We watched that happen in 1968 when
> Canada switched to health care and again when Hillary Clinton was
> crossing the USA in Bills time trying to come up with a good plan
> everyone liked.
>
> One of the favourite insurance company ads was to show a Canadian
> woman who claimed she had a brain tumour and could not get it taken
> out here so she paid a ransom to have it done in the US. The truth
> was, her tumour was benign and her Ontario doctors felt it was best to
> leave it since it was no longer growing, rather than chance operating
> on her brain and possibly doing some damage in the process.
>
> There were plenty of others but I forget them now, they were so
> laughable. I am just thankful that no matter what health problems hit
> me, it won't cost me a dime, other than perhaps parking for the car.

The insurance companies are lobbying hard to prevent them from losing a
very profitable business. There are lots of stories about wait times
and services that are unavailable. The only one that seems to have much
credibility is the shortage of MRI facilities.

When I had my heart issue, which seemed to be no big deal when it
started, the delay was my fault for not contacting my doctor before he
went on vacation. I went to a walk in clinic and saw a doctor within 10
minutes. He sent me to the hospital because it was a weekend and they
could do the tests that day. I was seen by a doctor within 15 minutes
and spent a day there while they did tests and then repeated them. No
heart attack and no immediate concerns, but was told to follow up with
my doctor. When he got back from vacation I got in to see him. He
referred me to a cardiologist and saw him within a week, and he booked
be for angiography which happened within two weeks. They found a
blockage and ran into problems clearing it out so I had emergency
surgery. It took about an hour to get me prepped and a teach together.

I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
nothing for all that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
> nothing for all that.

My God. If that was in the USA, you would face a bill of (just
guessing) over $20K.

That night 7.5 years ago that I had severe asthma and was stuck
sitting on the toilet all night - very labored breathing and even a 7
step walk to the phone to call for help would have killed me. After
spending about 8 hours on the damn toilet with very labored breathing
all night, I was finally healed enough to get up, dressed, and I drove
to a "minor emergency clinic." Very labored breathing even for that.

As soon as they heard that I had no insurance, they treated me quite
shabbily (imo). They didn't want me there and acted like I was some
bum off the street after free medical care. I was told that the doctor
was running a bit late and I should go to the emergency room. I told
them that I was doing ok just sitting there and waiting but to get up
again would be a hardship. I'm not leaving.

So then she told me, "You know, this could be expensive"
I told her, "I've got money, I'll pay for this today"
She still didn't seem convinced. Again, I was made to feel like some
bum.

So I finally got to see the doctor. They treated me there and I was
good to go plus I got prescriptions. Funny how just 1/2 hour treatment
in the doctors office fixed me when I really almost died of asthma
attack just hours earlier in the bathroom and then ferrets in cage
would have died too, if I did.

Doctor visit was $75 plus treatment...total $150. No big deal and I
paid before I left.
If I had gone to the hospital's emergency room for that, it would have
cost way over $1000.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Dave Smith wrote:

> I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
> nothing for all that.

My God. If that was in the USA, you would face a bill of (just
guessing) over $20K.
===========

Are you kidding? Well over $75,000.00 would be more like it.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 9:16:42 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-04-10 8:35 AM, wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 22:09:42 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

> > Anytime the USA tries to bring in universal health care the insurance
> > companies spring into action. We watched that happen in 1968 when
> > Canada switched to health care and again when Hillary Clinton was
> > crossing the USA in Bills time trying to come up with a good plan
> > everyone liked.
> >
> > One of the favourite insurance company ads was to show a Canadian
> > woman who claimed she had a brain tumour and could not get it taken
> > out here so she paid a ransom to have it done in the US. The truth
> > was, her tumour was benign and her Ontario doctors felt it was best to
> > leave it since it was no longer growing, rather than chance operating
> > on her brain and possibly doing some damage in the process.
> >
> > There were plenty of others but I forget them now, they were so
> > laughable. I am just thankful that no matter what health problems hit
> > me, it won't cost me a dime, other than perhaps parking for the car.

> The insurance companies are lobbying hard to prevent them from losing a
> very profitable business. There are lots of stories about wait times
> and services that are unavailable. The only one that seems to have much
> credibility is the shortage of MRI facilities.
>
> When I had my heart issue, which seemed to be no big deal when it
> started, the delay was my fault for not contacting my doctor before he
> went on vacation. I went to a walk in clinic and saw a doctor within 10
> minutes. He sent me to the hospital because it was a weekend and they
> could do the tests that day. I was seen by a doctor within 15 minutes
> and spent a day there while they did tests and then repeated them. No
> heart attack and no immediate concerns, but was told to follow up with
> my doctor. When he got back from vacation I got in to see him. He
> referred me to a cardiologist and saw him within a week, and he booked
> be for angiography which happened within two weeks. They found a
> blockage and ran into problems clearing it out so I had emergency
> surgery. It took about an hour to get me prepped and a teach together.
>
> I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
> nothing for all that.

Of course, if you have good insurance, health care in the U.S. is quite
reasonably priced. Four days in the hospital for my husband resulted in
some trivial co-pays. It probably didn't amount to more than $200 all told.
I have no idea how much the stay cost the insurance company, as we never
saw a bill that didn't say "You own $50" or somesuch.

Cindy Hmailton