Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Youtube: "10 Plants That Could Kill You"

Can't watch it right now, but I'm sure it'll be fascinating. (It was published on March 13th.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9peKIdne44

It's just over 8 minutes long.

From the comments:

Dimes On His Eyes14 hours ago

funny thing is 90% of blue/dark berries are perfectly safe to eat. white berries however are about 90% toxic, they are jerks. while red berries just can't make up their mind at about 50% safe/unsafe.

1kili212 hours ago

+Dimes On His Eyes i was watching a survival show the other day and they said a funny rhyme about berries and which are safe and which not

White and yellow kill a fellow.
purple and blue,good for you
red... could be good, could be dead

now ofcourse this doesnt go for all the berries but its quiet a good guideline

(end)

Wonder why that rhyme didn't mention berries that happen to be black - like nightshade.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 5:56:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Can't watch it right now, but I'm sure it'll be fascinating. (It was published on March 13th.)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9peKIdne44
>
> It's just over 8 minutes long.

A bigger time-waster than your usual slide shows. Unwatchably slow.

Of course you're not supposed to eat random plants. Sheesh.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:24:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Of course you're not supposed to eat random plants. Sheesh.

There's a joke in the Czech Republic about mushroom-picking:

"You can eat ANY mushroom...once!"

And in the first chapter of "Bed-knob and Broomstick," the three children (aged about 12 to 6) find out about Miss Price's true nature when they decide "to go mushroom picking before breakfast." What I don't understand is, why would that have been considered safe enough to allow, even with a 12-year-old in charge?

Also, if you can find it, check out the adorable 1943 book "The Good and Bad Berries" told in rhyme -

"by the Austrian illustrator Ida Bohatta-Morpurgo (1900-1992), with texts based on berries -- strawberries, gooseberries, currants, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries, grapes, plus Mountain ash for birds -- but also deadly nightshade and belladonna, and one to cheer up winter, mistletoe."

(They didn't mention the rhyme dedicated to the bilberry and the trillium - but there IS a problem with it; there are two illustrations on the two pages, and the B&W one, I think, mixes up the edible with the inedible berry! The two look similar, which is the point of the rhyme! Also, the one on mistletoe does NOT make clear that people shouldn't eat it!)

You can see three of the rhymes here (the cover has an extra illustration for the bilberry and the trillium):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191811921455

And three more he

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GOOD-AND...1 51880103758

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Also, if you can find it, check out the adorable 1943 book "The Good and Bad Berries"

Oops - seems it's from 1936.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:24:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

>> Of course you're not supposed to eat random plants. Sheesh.

> There's a joke in the Czech Republic about mushroom-picking:
>
> "You can eat ANY mushroom...once!"
>
> And in the first chapter of "Bed-knob and Broomstick," the three children (aged about 12 to 6) find out about Miss Price's true nature when they decide "to go mushroom picking before breakfast." What I don't understand is, why would that have been considered safe enough to allow, even with a 12-year-old in charge?

I have a couple of old children's books (circa 1920's/30's). They were
not turned into movies.

http://www.amazon.com/tale-fatty-Art.../dp/1932080457

'The Tale of Fatty Coon'. I've got this book around here somewhere. It
was given to me by my dad, but his older brother got to read it first.
When it was published they didn't have much money so they had to share
books.

I've also got a book of fairy tales called Sleepy Time Tales Volume II.
Some of these fairy tales are rather nasty. The Three Wishes, The
woman gets greedy and gets a big cake stuck to her nose. Very
interesting plates depicted in the book. It was a book of how to scare
the crap out of children.

I do love fairy tales.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 7:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/tale-fatty-Art.../dp/1932080457
>
> 'The Tale of Fatty Coon'. I've got this book around here somewhere. It
> was given to me by my dad, but his older brother got to read it first.
> When it was published they didn't have much money so they had to share
> books.
>
> I've also got a book of fairy tales called Sleepy Time Tales Volume II.
> Some of these fairy tales are rather nasty. The Three Wishes, The
> woman gets greedy and gets a big cake stuck to her nose. Very
> interesting plates depicted in the book. It was a book of how to scare
> the crap out of children.
>
> I do love fairy tales.
>
> Jill

I was just going to ask if the author was Arthur Scott Bailey because I
did a search on sleepy time tales and his works came up. I think I might
like to read them! I am a fan of horror and sci fi but only sci fi if
it's supernatural. None of that space crap. Thanks for writing about him.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/15/2016 12:10 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 6:24:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>

>>> Of course you're not supposed to eat random plants. Sheesh.

>> There's a joke in the Czech Republic about mushroom-picking:
>>
>> "You can eat ANY mushroom...once!"
>>
>> And in the first chapter of "Bed-knob and Broomstick," the three children
>> (aged about 12 to 6) find out about Miss Price's true nature when they
>> decide "to go mushroom picking before breakfast." What I don't understand
>> is, why would that have been considered safe enough to allow, even with a
>> 12-year-old in charge?

> I have a couple of old children's books (circa 1920's/30's). They were not
> turned into movies.

http://www.amazon.com/tale-fatty-Art.../dp/1932080457

> 'The Tale of Fatty Coon'. I've got this book around here somewhere. It
> was given to me by my dad, but his older brother got to read it first.
> When it was published they didn't have much money so they had to share
> books.
>
> I've also got a book of fairy tales called Sleepy Time Tales Volume II.
> Some of these fairy tales are rather nasty. The Three Wishes, The woman
> gets greedy and gets a big cake stuck to her nose. Very interesting
> plates depicted in the book. It was a book of how to scare the crap out
> of children.
>
> I do love fairy tales.
>
> Jill

I can remember my dad reading those kinds of stories to us. He thought they
were funny. I thought they were cruel. I never read those to Angela.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2016 8:13 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 3/15/2016 7:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/tale-fatty-Art.../dp/1932080457
>>
>> 'The Tale of Fatty Coon'. I've got this book around here somewhere. It
>> was given to me by my dad, but his older brother got to read it first.
>> When it was published they didn't have much money so they had to share
>> books.
>>
>> I've also got a book of fairy tales called Sleepy Time Tales Volume II.
>> Some of these fairy tales are rather nasty. The Three Wishes, The
>> woman gets greedy and gets a big cake stuck to her nose. Very
>> interesting plates depicted in the book. It was a book of how to scare
>> the crap out of children.
>>
>> I do love fairy tales.
>>
>> Jill

> I was just going to ask if the author was Arthur Scott Bailey because I
> did a search on sleepy time tales and his works came up. I think I might
> like to read them! I am a fan of horror and sci fi but only sci fi if
> it's supernatural. None of that space crap. Thanks for writing about him.

They're actually pretty interesting stories. Tales about how wandering
too far and being too curious just might get you into trouble. 'Sleepy
Time Tales' are a little lighter than what was written by the Brothers
Grimm but along the same lines. Always a moral at the end of the story.
After all, when they were published (early 1900s) they were meant to
be read by school children.

Jill