Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)

So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 11:37:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>
> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
>

> Lenona.

Buying any spice already ground is always inferior. After grinding they lose their aromatics very quickly. However, it is sometimes expedient.

Regarding pepper, I would never buy it ground, especially if you rarely use it. Spices at Indian groceries are so cheap that I would buy one of the superior peppers (Tellicherry, Malabar or Sarawak) and a pepper mill. You will probably get much more pepper than you want but if kept sealed in a dark place it will last quite a long time.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:37:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>
> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
>

> Lenona.

Yep, what pothers have said here. I use a LOT of black peppercorns as I have a very good pepper mill with a crank on top, and I love it!! I use ground pepper in things I cook like my baked beans, which is all I use ground pepper for now that I think about it.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>
> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
>

> Lenona.

I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up. I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers. Freshly ground stuff makes a lot of sense at the table because that pungent smell really gets your appetite going. Using it while cooking is a waste of volatile oils. I have a big container of peppercorns that I use for adobo - I use it whole and it's just great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
>I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
>and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

>I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
steal grinders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:47:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 2/23/2016 11:37 AM, wrote:
> > I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
> >
> > So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
> >

> > Lenona.
> >

> The difference is flavor.
>
> Many years ago I had breakfast a a friend's house. Fresh egg from his
> chicken and fresh ground pepper. A couple of days later I bought a
> pepper grinder and never bought the tasteless powder again.
>
> Pepper starts losing its flavor the second it is ground and exposed to
> air. Soon you will be sprinkling black dust with no flavor.

IMO: pepper "dust" depends on which grind you buy. I hate fine grind
- it's should go straight into the garbage. Coarsely ground pepper is
good for cooking convenience if you don't buy a boatload and use it up
in a couple of months. If you want a lot of bang for the buck without
grinding, try cracked pepper sometime. Your teeth act as the final
pepper grinder and it packs quite a wallop. Not for the faint of
heart.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

I'll bet when you were cooking for the boys on the ship, you whipped out your sissy grinder and started gyrating to that grind, grind, grind in an effort to entice the lads. Well, isn't that special?

> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
> like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
> drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
> you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
> steal grinders.

You ain't been paying attention - I've bought choke grinders. I have 3 or 4 at the moment. I also have a whole shitload of whole peppercorns. Fail - but at least you gave it that old Br00klynl try. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 11:23:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> > >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> > >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

> I'll bet when you were cooking for the boys on the ship, you whipped out your sissy grinder and started gyrating to that grind, grind, grind in an effort to entice the lads. Well, isn't that special?
>

> > >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> > How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
> > like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
> > drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
> > you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
> > steal grinders.

> You ain't been paying attention - I've bought choke grinders. I have 3 or 4 at the moment. I also have a whole shitload of whole peppercorns. Fail - but at least you gave it that old Br00klynl try. Hee hee.

And for those who prefer one stop shopping, peppercorns have come in
disposable grinders for years... but he doesn't get out much, so he
wouldn't know that.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:57:57 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA
>
> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
> like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
> drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
> you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
> steal grinders.

More than one restaurant that I frequent has pepper mills on the
table. They use these:

<http://www.target.com/p/mccormick-black-peppercorn-grinder-1oz/-/A-13478259>

or similar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 11:33:26 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:57:57 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> > >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> > >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA
> >
> > >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> > How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
> > like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
> > drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
> > you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
> > steal grinders.

> More than one restaurant that I frequent has pepper mills on the
> table. They use these:
>
> <http://www.target.com/p/mccormick-black-peppercorn-grinder-1oz/-/A-13478259>
>
> or similar.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Disposable pepper grinders on a restaurant table? I've seen pepper
grinders, but not the disposable variety. The times, they are
a-changin'!

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 2:25:55 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> And for those who prefer one stop shopping, peppercorns have come in
> disposable grinders for years... but he doesn't get out much, so he
> wouldn't know that.
>
> sf

Yes, but the quality of the pepper is terrible. (It's still better than pre ground.)

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:39:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>>
>> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
>>

>> Lenona.

>I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up. I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.
>
>I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers. Freshly ground stuff makes a lot of sense at the table because that pungent smell really gets your appetite going. Using it while cooking is a waste of volatile oils. I have a big container of peppercorns that I use for adobo - I use it whole and it's just great!

Why don't you get yourself one of those Kitchenaid coffee grinders and
grind up a small jar full? Grind as much as you will use in a week or
a month. It is still better than pre-ground from the store.
http://tinyurl.com/z68kt8s

you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:25:55 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 11:23:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:

> > > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

> > I'll bet when you were cooking for the boys on the ship, you whipped out your sissy grinder and started gyrating to that grind, grind, grind in an effort to entice the lads. Well, isn't that special?

> > > How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
> > > like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
> > > drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
> > > you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
> > > steal grinders.

> > You ain't been paying attention - I've bought choke grinders. I have 3 or 4 at the moment. I also have a whole shitload of whole peppercorns. Fail - but at least you gave it that old Br00klynl try. Hee hee.

> And for those who prefer one stop shopping, peppercorns have come in
> disposable grinders for years... but he doesn't get out much, so he
> wouldn't know that.
>
> --
>
> sf

I may have misspoken - I seemed to have dumped all my pepper grinders in the last purge. I may have to buy another grinder - oh no!

The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:12:13 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:39:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
> >>
> >> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
> >>

> >> Lenona.

> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up. I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.
> >
> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers. Freshly ground stuff makes a lot of sense at the table because that pungent smell really gets your appetite going. Using it while cooking is a waste of volatile oils. I have a big container of peppercorns that I use for adobo - I use it whole and it's just great!

> Why don't you get yourself one of those Kitchenaid coffee grinders and
> grind up a small jar full? Grind as much as you will use in a week or
> a month. It is still better than pre-ground from the store.
> http://tinyurl.com/z68kt8s
>
> you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking
>
> Janet US

I like that idea. I'll be on the lookout for a cheap blade-type coffee grinder. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:

> you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking
>
> Janet US

So you don't believe in using aromatics in cooking?

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.

Better quality is ridiculous? My Atlas grinder can crank out all you
need for a big pot of stew in less than a minute. I do the same when I
make a rub for smoked brisket too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 10:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled
>> eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind
>> pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount
>> of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.
>>

> Better quality is ridiculous? My Atlas grinder can crank out all you
> need for a big pot of stew in less than a minute. I do the same when I
> make a rub for smoked brisket too.

Obviously, you got a better grinder or you got a lot more patience than
I or you have one powerful wrist. Does that matter? Would you be able to
tell whether or not I used fresh ground in a stew? Of course you
wouldn't. Would you be able to tell if it were on eggs or a salad. I
should hope so. In these and certain other cases, fresh ground makes sense.

You're certainly welcome to grind away if it makes you feel better, or
special - I won't do it. I'm far too practical a guy and don't have the
time, patience, or wrist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 3:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Obviously, you got a better grinder or you got a lot more patience than
> I or you have one powerful wrist. Does that matter? Would you be able to
> tell whether or not I used fresh ground in a stew? Of course you
> wouldn't. Would you be able to tell if it were on eggs or a salad. I
> should hope so. In these and certain other cases, fresh ground makes sense.
>
> You're certainly welcome to grind away if it makes you feel better, or
> special - I won't do it. I'm far too practical a guy and don't have the
> time, patience, or wrist.

You don't need a lot of time, patience, or wrist strength with one of
these -
<http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Lewis-Pepper/dp/B003L0OOQM/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1456261352&sr=1-4&keywords=pepper+grinder>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 11:04 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 3:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Obviously, you got a better grinder or you got a lot more patience than
>> I or you have one powerful wrist. Does that matter? Would you be able to
>> tell whether or not I used fresh ground in a stew? Of course you
>> wouldn't. Would you be able to tell if it were on eggs or a salad. I
>> should hope so. In these and certain other cases, fresh ground makes
>> sense.
>>
>> You're certainly welcome to grind away if it makes you feel better, or
>> special - I won't do it. I'm far too practical a guy and don't have the
>> time, patience, or wrist.

> You don't need a lot of time, patience, or wrist strength with one of
> these -
> <http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Lewis-Pepper/dp/B003L0OOQM/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1456261352&sr=1-4&keywords=pepper+grinder>

It looks good, I'll consider getting one. My favorite mill has beveled
gears and an old-timey look. Unfortunately, it still doesn't grind fast
enough for my liking. I'll try a coffee grinder first.

http://static.axminster.co.uk/media/.../800292_xl.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:27:34 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
>>
>> you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking
>>
>> Janet US

>So you don't believe in using aromatics in cooking?
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com

I was a first reply to dsi1. I was responding to the original posting
that said using fresh ground in cooking was ridiculous.... I was
saying I didn't agree with that.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 4:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 11:04 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> You don't need a lot of time, patience, or wrist strength with one of
>> these -
>> <http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Lewis-Pepper/dp/B003L0OOQM/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1456261352&sr=1-4&keywords=pepper+grinder>

> It looks good, I'll consider getting one. My favorite mill has beveled
> gears and an old-timey look. Unfortunately, it still doesn't grind fast
> enough for my liking. I'll try a coffee grinder first.
>
> http://static.axminster.co.uk/media/.../800292_xl.jpg

Nice piece of machinery - but it looks more like a nutmeg grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/02/2016 1:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled
>> eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind
>> pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount
>> of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.
>>

> Better quality is ridiculous? My Atlas grinder can crank out all you
> need for a big pot of stew in less than a minute. I do the same when I
> make a rub for smoked brisket too.

The trouble is that with steel grinder mechanisms, people will often
twist the mechanism back and forth when they are designed to grind only
with a clockwise motion. There is a clockwise spiral crush/pre-grind
part just above the final grinding teeth. I have some spare mechanisms
in the shop ready to make pepper mills from some fancy woods.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-23 3:57 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Obviously, you got a better grinder or you got a lot more patience than
> I or you have one powerful wrist. Does that matter? Would you be able to
> tell whether or not I used fresh ground in a stew? Of course you
> wouldn't. Would you be able to tell if it were on eggs or a salad. I
> should hope so. In these and certain other cases, fresh ground makes sense.
>
> You're certainly welcome to grind away if it makes you feel better, or
> special - I won't do it. I'm far too practical a guy and don't have the
> time, patience, or wrist.

There are some things for which I always grind pepper because it
definitely tastes better. There are other things in which the freshly
ground pepper is not an essential. I use ground pepper in burgers, meat
loaf, sprinkle it on chickens and other roasts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2016 1:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
>> I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
>> and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA
>
>> I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s

(snippage)

I actually agree with you on this one, Sheldon. There's a reason the
servers at *finer* (note the word finer) restaurants offer to grind
pepper over your food at the table rather than just leave a grinder on
the table. Too many of those fine, upstanding citizens have stolen them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 2:12:13 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:39:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
> >>
> >> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
> >>

> >> Lenona.

> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up. I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.
> >
> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers. Freshly ground stuff makes a lot of sense at the table because that pungent smell really gets your appetite going. Using it while cooking is a waste of volatile oils. I have a big container of peppercorns that I use for adobo - I use it whole and it's just great!

> Why don't you get yourself one of those Kitchenaid coffee grinders and
> grind up a small jar full? Grind as much as you will use in a week or
> a month. It is still better than pre-ground from the store.
> http://tinyurl.com/z68kt8s
>
> you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking
>
> Janet US

POS cheap Chinese JUNK!!! I have a 1940's Kitchenaid A9 coffee mill, made right here in the USA. I bought it off Ebay and it's great!!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3f&oe=575F40C1

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less
than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store.
(Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than
the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the
Indian store!)

So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is
there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?

Lenona.

---

Once ground, it loses its flavor rapidly. So I prefer it not to be ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 2:25:55 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>

>> And for those who prefer one stop shopping, peppercorns have come in
>> disposable grinders for years... but he doesn't get out much, so he
>> wouldn't know that.
>>
>> sf

> Yes, but the quality of the pepper is terrible. (It's still better than
> pre ground.)

Not always. Costco now has the Tellicherry in grinders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:59:09 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 1:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> >> I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> >> and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA
> >
> >> I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> > How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s

> (snippage)
>
> I actually agree with you on this one, Sheldon. There's a reason the
> servers at *finer* (note the word finer) restaurants offer to grind
> pepper over your food at the table rather than just leave a grinder on
> the table. Too many of those fine, upstanding citizens have stolen them.
>
> Jill

I for one do not like servers to grind pepper onto MY food. They certainly don't know how much to grind or get it distributed properly.
Also they often have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by even being there.
Nothing I hate worse than some lackey fawning at my elbow and no doubt wondering as to how much of a tip I'm going to leave (or not leave).

By the way...salt, pepper and sugar dispensers are usually great germ carriers...always use a disposable napkin to handle them, lest you end up with the same disease(s) as the last person(s) who touched them.
=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:23:53 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> > >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> > >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

> I'll bet when you were cooking for the boys on the ship, you whipped out your sissy grinder and started gyrating to that grind, grind, grind in an effort to entice the lads. Well, isn't that special?

Sheldon and his brother played penis swordfight when they were adolescents.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-02-23 6:37 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:59:09 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown
> wrote:

>> I actually agree with you on this one, Sheldon. There's a reason
>> the servers at *finer* (note the word finer) restaurants offer to
>> grind pepper over your food at the table rather than just leave a
>> grinder on the table. Too many of those fine, upstanding citizens
>> have stolen them.
>>
>> Jill

> I for one do not like servers to grind pepper onto MY food. They
> certainly don't know how much to grind or get it distributed
> properly. Also they often have the attitude that they are doing you a
> favor by even being there.

It's usually mainly for show. Otherwise, they would have a reasonable
size of grinder instead of one thee size of a fire extinguisher.

> Nothing I hate worse than some lackey fawning at my elbow and no
> doubtwondering as to how much of a tip I'm going to leave (or not >leave).

See above about the show.

> By the way...salt, pepper and sugar dispensers are usually great germ
> carriers...always use a disposable napkin to handle them, lest you
> end up with the same disease(s) as the last person(s) who touched
> them.

Those same people have touched the tables, the door knobs, the menus....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:37:27 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:
snip

>I for one do not like servers to grind pepper onto MY food. They certainly don't know how much to grind or get it distributed properly.
>Also they often have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by even being there.
>Nothing I hate worse than some lackey fawning at my elbow and no doubt wondering as to how much of a tip I'm going to leave (or not leave).
>
>By the way...salt, pepper and sugar dispensers are usually great germ carriers...always use a disposable napkin to handle them, lest you end up with the same disease(s) as the last person(s) who touched them.
>=====

wow! angry much? You are correct about dispensers on the table. They
are huge germ carriers as has been reported often.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
>> >I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
>> >and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

>> Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA

>I'll bet when you were cooking for the boys on the ship, you whipped out your sissy grinder and started gyrating to that grind, grind, grind in an effort to entice the lads. Well, isn't that special?
>

>> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

>> How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s
>> like you, who thinks grinding pepper at home is a drag but it's not a
>> drag to grind pepper at a restaurant... besides being a lazy *******
>> you are also a cheap ******* who won't buy a grinder but will gladly
>> steal grinders.

> I also have a whole shitload of whole peppercorns.

You are a shit load.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:57:36 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 2/23/2016 10:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/23/2016 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled
>>> eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind
>>> pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount
>>> of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.
>>>

>> Better quality is ridiculous? My Atlas grinder can crank out all you
>> need for a big pot of stew in less than a minute. I do the same when I
>> make a rub for smoked brisket too.

>Obviously, you got a better grinder or you got a lot more patience than
>I or you have one powerful wrist. Does that matter? Would you be able to
>tell whether or not I used fresh ground in a stew? Of course you
>wouldn't. Would you be able to tell if it were on eggs or a salad. I
>should hope so. In these and certain other cases, fresh ground makes sense.
>
>You're certainly welcome to grind away if it makes you feel better, or
>special - I won't do it. I'm far too practical a guy and don't have the
>time, patience, or wrist.

You're an idiot, certifiable.