Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Urban Farming/Greenhouses

So they have three locations in NYC, one in Chicago:

http://gothamgreens.com/our-farms/pullman

Our technologically advanced, urban greenhouses yield a year-round, local supply of premium quality produce grown under the highest standards of food safety and environmental sustainability.

Locations: Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Gowanus), Queens (Hollis), and Chicago (Pullman)

'Urbs in Horto', Latin for "city in a garden", is the official motto of the City of Chicago adopted when the city was officially incorporated in 1837. With verdant gardens in its heritage, a rich food culture and a thriving urban agriculture scene, the Windy City was the logical location for Gotham Greens' first expansion out of New York City. It's a great food town and we're thrilled to be a part of it.

Opened in 2015, our largest and most technologically advanced greenhouse built until date, is located in the Pullman neighborhood of Chicago's south side. Measuring over 75,000 square feet, the greenhouse represents the world's largest and most productive rooftop farm. Our Pullman facility annually grows up to 10 million heads of leafy greens and herbs, year-round, for the finest retailers and restaurants across the greater Chicagoland area.

Spanning nearly two acres, the climate controlled greenhouse facility, owned and operated by Gotham Greens, is located on the second floor rooftop of Method Products manufacturing plant. The unique partnership between Gotham Greens and Method Products, leaders in their respective industries -- urban farming and eco-friendly cleaning products -- is a groundbreaking vision for the 21st century manufacturing facility. Method's factory, designed by William McDonough + Partners, is the world's first LEED-Platinum certified manufacturing plant in its industry.

Gotham Greens and Method are proud to be contributing to the economic revitalization of the historic Pullman Park district. Located on the far south side of the city, Pullman was one of America's first model industrial towns built by the Pullman Palace Car Company. The area is a Chicago Landmark district and was recently declared a National Historic Monument..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2016 4:32 PM, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> So they have three locations in NYC, one in Chicago:
>
> http://gothamgreens.com/our-farms/pullman

Thanks for the article, very cool. There have been a lot of
great things like this going on the past however many years.

Not that it's vegetable gardening, but I've got to see the
High Line and the beautiful gardens that have gone up in
Battery Park (both Manhattan).

nancy

The Economist: Urban foraging - Salad daze - Hipsters are foraging for greens in urban parks Opinicus[_3_] General Cooking 20 15-12-2014 04:00 PM
The farming of rice yufei Historic 0 30-03-2011 09:59 AM
TN: Urban UCO Godzilla Lizard Wine 2 28-04-2010 04:12 PM
Farming Down Under brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 04:27 PM
Vertical farming modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 35 21-07-2008 05:31 PM